Assateague Island National Seashore, MARYLAND
Camping Maryland Assateague Island National Seashore
Most Recent Assateague Island National Seashore Camping Reviews
Beautiful waterfront sites

Landing club waterfront sites were beautiful! Staff is very friendly. Campground is kept clean. We enjoyed the dog friendly accommodations. Only complaint is the size of the pool- too small compared to the size of the campground. All in all we really enjoyed our stay and already booked for next year while we were there!

Quite

Had electric but no water or sewage . With that said I knew this going in. Had a nice spot with walking paths,bike trails and kayaking. Wasn’t far from town but you would’ve never known it.

Very Nice

Stayed at this campground many times . Its large but very quiet and well maintained! Nice cabins also

Beautiful!

Very nice and very clean! The staff was all very friendly and accommodating. Definitely will stay again

Great place right on the water

Nothing fancy but beautiful setting. Great people to work with.

Sex on the beach

Bugs can be pretty bad but it’s the beach so it can’t be THAT bad

Amazing location

First time camping in a long time. Oceanside requires a good amount of work. You’re carrying your gear in to your site, setting up in howling wind (potentially), no water at site. Cold showers. Pit toilets. But man oh man. The rewards are high. Wild horses every day. Beach was right over the dune. Campsite is set behind one dune so there’s a little wind protection. We had one wild thunderstorm night. Survived with our good tent and screen house (do not come without some kind of screen house). But the next morning the mosquitoes were wild. Everyone had bites from our morning packing up. It was hot (camped at end of July/beginning of August), but water was a good escape. We escaped into the town of Berlin on some of the hotter hours of the day for ice cream to beat the heat (and charge our electronics in the car). Great spot. I’d come back, but maybe later in the year when it’s not so hot!

Nice place

No frills but very nice. Close to everything

Can't even find it!

No idea where this place is, I've looked all over!

Closed

Campground is closed

All part of the bigger campground

Beautiful scenery, love the wild horses. Just be careful opening the door, I've been greeted by a few horses!

All part of the bigger camp

Best sunsets going!

Nothing fancy here but who needs fancy when you have a beach,fishing, live entertainment and the beast sunsets going?

Pricy but very nice

The grounds are great beautiful private beach and pool. Did not use the docks. It’s also close to the other ocean beaches. The only downsides are sites are very close together and its a very expensive about double the cost of other near by non-waterfront campgrounds.

Too many “Improvements”

I just stayed at this campground for the third year in a row. The area is beautiful, and it is a convenient drive from my house. My first stay was wonderful. Great campsites, friendly staff, good facilities. Last year, the price doubled, supposedly to make improvements. Our “full hookup “ site didn’t include CATV, and a minor rainstorm caused the sewage system to overflow, soaking all of my gear in waste water. When I spoke to the staff, the only comment was “We’re working on that” Well, this year there was another price increase. The improvements were building a giant, expensive water park. The sites are now smaller, the roads are rutted and hard to tow through. Although the sites do now have CATV, our site only had a male connector, and three calls to the office proved ineffective. I found a Dish Network tech working in another part of the park and told him. He immediately came to our site and it took him 30 seconds to fix the problem. They do seem to have fixed the sewage problem. It’s a shame what has happened here. A great campground has fallen to greed. The staff, if you can find them, is indifferent. The prices are up in the hotel range, the water park looks nice if that is what you are looking for (I wasn’t). This will probably be my last stay here.

Great parking lot ;-P

Place is great for RVs (no tents)

Awesome for fishing & beech activities

Wonderful

Wonderful all year long

So worth it

This is such an amazing place to take a family for vacation. Club Castaways is the place to be here, though. The campground is a bit crowded and lively outside Club Castaways but it is still an amazing place for how close you are to the water. Bayfront campground, can see Ocean City lit up at night. Such a beautiful place to stay.

Not a campground

Not a campground but an office. Very nice and helpful people!

I love this place

I love this place. It’s hard to get a spot here tho you have to book early! Water was cold the bathrooms wasn’t very clean! I stayed ocean side walk in. We park and drag all your items in for tent camping. FYI you can have a fire right on the beach!

The Perfect campground

Title says it all! Great location, the friendliest and most helpful staff, beautiful surroundings, lots to do, kid and pet friendly

Love castaways

A beautiful and very well maintained campground. Friendly people, good sized sites, plenty to do. Kid friendly!

Not a campground

Not a campground, but right next to one!

Close to everything!

Convenient location right on the bay! No shade though and right next to the highway so pretty noisey

A new favorite camping spot

Beautiful campground. The bathrooms were nicer than my bath at home and sparkling clean. Staff was amazingly pleasant and helpful. The campground was quiet and peaceful. The park had so much to explore, kayaking, hiking, fishing, beach access via kayak; we could have easily spent a week there. I was worried before arriving because other reviewers complained about the bugs. We were there mid July and the bugs weren’t bad at all, a few mosquito bites, and the biting flies were kept at bay by cutter. We will definitely be back. The kayaking alone is worth the trip.

Great Park

Nice quiet, everything you need, kayaking, fishing.

Lovely scenery

No hookups but wow the views! And if course the wild horses are amazing.

Outdated

This was a great campground when I was a kid. But the sites need updating as they are very small, hard to negotiate a modest sized modern camper into, and the campground floods easily following a heavy rain. The water park is lots of fun and though you are close to ocean city you really have no need to leave the park with all the entertaining events they have.

Club Castaway is the spot to be

A majority of the park is a mix of sandy sites sparsely covered by crabgrass and sand spurs. But there’s a gem… the club Castaway area is an extra gated spot on the water with grassy sites and level paved pads. The area had a private dock for fishing and crabbing and the sunrise is a must see from the deck. You pay for this view but it’s worth it.

Ranger Review: Ice Mule Pro at Assateague Island

Camping at Assateague State Park

Assateague Island is a national park located in Maryland that offers plenty of beach camping and hiking trails. I decided to camp on the Oceanside walk-in which is means that we had to walk from the parking lot about 200 ft to our camping area. They also offer camping areas you can drive up to as well as areas that are on the bayside of the beach. Our reserved spot on the beach included a fire ring and a picnic table and the perfect beginning to a great week of camping. During our time we were able to do some hiking along the 37 mile long park, kayak on the ocean, and Bay, see some wild ponys that rove the park, and enjoy the very clean facilities that the park offered. The Island is not far from Ocean City either if you wish to go to the Board walk which we did experience one night. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to camp along the water and listen to the waves hitting the shoreline however booking must be done in advance as reservations fill up very fast every season.

Link: https://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/marylandcamping.htm

Ice mule Pro XL

The Icemule Pro XL was great at what it was advertised for, which is keeping items cold. My Icemule was able to keep all the ice in its solid state for about 16 hours while sitting on the hot beach(90+ degree Fahrenheit) before melting to ice cold water. Once melted though the water stayed ice cold for roughly 30 hours. This was great because I didn’t have to refill the ice every day. The cooler was very popular with the crowds as multiple beach goers and friends would stop and ask me where I got it as they thought the design and concept of having a wearable backpack cooler was very neat. While the cooler did its job and the design was a good concept I found that it was very heavy when filled to its max. I do not believe that ordering the Icemule XXL would be realistic based off of this. Another issue I found was that packing drinks had to be done logistically in that you would have to put drinks, then ice, then add more drinks, and ice on top of that. Instead of a normal cooler where you would pack all of the drinks then pour the ice on top. This was an issue because many of my friends wanted to add some of there drinks to the cooler after I had already added the ice. None the less the drinks still stayed cool with the coolers cooling material. As mentioned I used this product while camping on the beach for a week and then used it again while watching some fireworks on the 4th of July and while the cooler did hold up the coolers back pack straps already had torn after about 10 uses. One final thing I found unfortunate was how the cooler closed. In my personal opinion Folding the opening of the cooler and buckling it was very tedious and many of my friends who used it wouldn’t go through the trouble of closing it. A regular cooler is easy to close in seconds where this takes a little more time and work. In the end it is a good cooler if you are looking for something portable and hands free but it is not something to use if you don’t have a strong back.

Link: https://icemulecoolers.com/products/the-icemule-pro-x-large