Assateague Island National Seashore, MARYLAND

Camping Maryland Assateague Island National Seashore
Most Recent Assateague Island National Seashore Camping Reviews
Peaceful, otherworldly

Our site E-106 was a perfect site for my wife and I. Close to beach access, clean facilities and friendly staff. Surf fishing was slow but the bay offered up some opportunities to reel in a few fish. Warm fall temperatures, only a handful of other campers made our stay enjoyable. The campers we met with are friendly along with our camp host and staff. Beautiful sunsets, Asseateague ponies with there new foals and a beautiful full moon rounded out our stay.

Cute and Quaint place!

We stayed here for one night and it was awesome! The campground is a little dated… but the tent site we had was perfect. Great hammocking trees :)

Great time!

The breeze coming off the bay allowed for me to get one of the best nights of sleep I’ve had in a while! The horses roam free, so keep your stuff locked in your vehicle. Decent trails for hiking or biking and it’s not far from the beach.

Top shelf

Great RV park. Right on the bay with sunset views. 12 min to Ocean City boardwalk. Beautiful golf course right next store. I’ll be back!

Great place to camp I have been going almost every year since the first time I went. Very short walk from the beach, clean bathrooms, beautiful landscape, and a good price!

Our absolute favorite camping spot

My husband and I tent camped here a few times and fell in love with this place. We bought an RV this year and have been to Cape Henlopen twice already. The sites are all a good size and even though the campsite is usually always packed, everyone is super friendly and respectful of each other. People respect the rules and keep to themselves, but will wave and say hello a lot in passing. It’s a very comforting environment. The newly built bathhouses are great! They’re always clean and I’ve yet to not get a hot shower, even though they get used a lot. Best of all, the campsite is dog friendly! Our two dogs love it here - the smells, trails, the nice people, the water bowl outside of the camp store. The beaches also allow dogs, depending on the season or time of day. The trails are awesome and easy to walk or ride bikes on, with a few hills to muscle up, but it’s mostly flat terrain and paved. There’s a nature center nearby that also lets you borrow a bike for free if you didn’t bring your own. The smell of pine trees and ocean is instantly soothing. You can also ride your bike or drive to the beach, which is beautiful. The bathhouse and concession stand at the beach is very nice. Sunset on the beach is absolutely serene.

Will not be returning

We did not have a great experience this time around. 7 hours after set up, the"camp host" came by and told us and all of our immediate neighbors we needed to move because we were all 3 feet back to far. Apparently we're not supposed to back up past the electrical boxes. There are no markings indicating that and also if that is the case, they should have people dedicated to guiding people into their sites. Our neighbors had already been there for over 2 days before being told to move. Upon arrival, the site was dirty(empty cups, bottle caps,& cigarette butts). The pool furniture was old and rusty. The day of check-out, someone was on my site, 3 hours before checkout cleaning out the fire ring and I hadn't even had a chance to cook breakfast over it yet. We paid resort prices and have stayed at MUCH better resorts for the same price. After this, we unfortunately will not be returning.

Very nice but not worth it.

Massey's is very nice, clean, awesome pool, nice very windy Bayside sites, but you can get the same for half the price or more. Don't get run over by the golf carts. Very pet friendly. Definitely not worth the very expensive sites. Beach was ok but could be better.

Take the pontoon!!

Pretty cool place

Half of the sites are dry camping other half are electric only. Dogs are allowed at half the sites. They had the cleanest nicest showers we have ever seen at a campground. Fantastic camp store with long hours. Camper size Old Bay was there!! Ice cream, firewood, cake, and a new pontoon service to the island beach. It was $12 for 2 hours. Takes you to beach and swimming but no amenities so plan well. We loved it. There are fire road trails which are more like paths through the woods. Very flat. Be sure to wear DEET as the chiggers and ticks are crazy hungry there. There is a canal that borders the campground where the breeze comes through nicely and has great sunset view. Dump station was nice, but dumpsters are along ways from the camp spots. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Our favorite part by far was the pontoon over to the island to swim at the beach especially because you can bring your dog and ours had a blast.

Fun Time!

Beautiful Bay views!!!  My daughters love this place and so does my wife and I.  The beach is great.  The pool and pool bar are fantastic!  1 minor complaint about the pool is that it gets crowded and you might not get a seat.  Supposedly they are going to be building another pool soon!

You definitely get what you pay for here.  If you are looking for privacy dont come here.  This campground is about having fun all day!

We will be back.

Favorite in Delaware

I’ve stayed at Cape Henlopen several times. We are tent campers and have stayed in both car sites and tent walk in sites. The new bath house and camp store are a great upgrade. Book reservations earlier than you would expect, this place fills quickly. Sites vary in privacy, some are more heavily wooded than others. One downside is the use of generators, they can be annoying. The location allows for hiking and beach visits plus you are close to both Lewes and Rehoboth.

First time

My first time visiting TPSP. The site is gorgeous throughout. The camp store is small but has everything that you need. Personnel were warm and friendly, very helpful for a first timer… spent some time chatting with them. I stayed at a tent site. The tent sites are walk in only but parking is not very far. The site provided hand trucks and wheelbarrows for you to car your items into your site. I had brought my own wagon which was helpful in keeping some of my gear off the ground during a rain storm. The site I stayed at was clean, level and well appointed; a t bar for hanging trash or a shower pack. Fire pit with grill. The tent sites are far enough from each other that you are not disturbed by neighbors, lots of trees between sites. There are water pumps every few yards, some are a Bit tricky to get working but I did not have an issue. The campground has trash and recycling bins so you do not have to carry out. I checked out some of the drive in and RV sites. They are large and well maintained, good for camper or tent camping, although fewer trees separate you from adjacent spots, so if you’re interested in more privacy opt for a tent site. The weekend I stayed we had torrential rain for about six hours but my site did not flood. Be sure to bring a large enough footprint to account for rain however, as I needed to really clean my tent and fly when I got home due to splash back of mud and leaves. Thee bathhouse was clean and the playground looked pretty good as well. Hoping that for my return trip the new bathhouse bear the tent sites is completed. If you’re not keen on using port a Johns or hiking to the bathhouse near the camper sites I suggest bringing a travel composting toilet. I hiked the full Bob Trail which is breathtaking. Easy level hike that winds all around the park and connects to the campground. I also rented a kayak for about three hours and was able to travel the full pond and connecting Terrapin Trail and back. The recreation area(where you rent boats and kayaks) has a nice picnic area and playground. I have camped at Henlopen State Park in the past and can say that TPSP is my new favorite in delaware. I enjoyed my time so much that I am already booked to return in late September and again in early November.

Great Location

Campground is busy with a lot of people driving golf carts that shouldn’t be. But, aside from that, it’s really a lot of fun. Wild west show, water park, huge store, excellent ice cream shop, jet skis, boat launch are all at the campground. There’s also a shuttle to the boardwalk and a very short drive to all the restaurants and attractions in the area including the wild ponies on Assateague island. We have been there for the last 2 years and have next year booked already.

Nice safe place.

Gated campground . This is more for seasonal and year round campers. People are very nice . We had the luxury of staying in the " Cottage" which was very upscale lol

Nice but crowded

Beautiful location and lots of stuff to do . Can be very crowded and loud certain times of year. And OMG .. the kids in the golf carts .. well you know what that means

Absolutely Beautiful

Het up close to the water if you can . Clear beautiful nights you will see awesome star shows ! Older campground .. great people and clean !

Enjoyed our stay

Stayed here for the first time. Very nice. Will definitely be back!

Beautiful!

The weekend we camped here was beautiful! If you enjoy kayaking/canoeing this is the place for you. They have 30 miles worth of different water trails. The island has miles of private beaches that you can have to yourself. The camp offers kayak and canoe rentals if you don't have your own. I would recommend reserving your sight early on if you want a water front spot. We called the week of and got a waterfront spot but it was not private and located out by the marina.

Adventures galore await you here.

Tent sites, snack bar, warm showers and the ocean….what more could a camper want? Make sure to visit the welcome center before going over the small bridge and watch the video that is played.

Back again

Stopped here again July 2019 on our way to OBX. This time it was a weekend day (our last visit was mid week) and there was a marked difference. Though still primarily seasonal there were many people out and about in the pool and kids boating and fishing. The sites around us (nice large shaded pull throughs) were all booked. Events were planned for the weekend and everyone was friendly. There were still an excessive amount of Geese just like last time, but overall a great place to stop on our journey.

Beautiful waterfront sites

Landing club waterfront sites were beautiful! Staff is very friendly. Campground is kept clean. We enjoyed the dog friendly accommodations. Only complaint is the size of the pool- too small compared to the size of the campground. All in all we really enjoyed our stay and already booked for next year while we were there!

Quite

Had electric but no water or sewage . With that said I knew this going in. Had a nice spot with walking paths,bike trails and kayaking. Wasn’t far from town but you would’ve never known it.

Very Nice

Stayed at this campground many times . Its large but very quiet and well maintained! Nice cabins also

Beautiful!

Very nice and very clean! The staff was all very friendly and accommodating. Definitely will stay again

Great place right on the water

Nothing fancy but beautiful setting. Great people to work with.

Sex on the beach

Bugs can be pretty bad but it’s the beach so it can’t be THAT bad

Amazing location

First time camping in a long time. Oceanside requires a good amount of work. You’re carrying your gear in to your site, setting up in howling wind (potentially), no water at site. Cold showers. Pit toilets. But man oh man. The rewards are high. Wild horses every day. Beach was right over the dune. Campsite is set behind one dune so there’s a little wind protection. We had one wild thunderstorm night. Survived with our good tent and screen house (do not come without some kind of screen house). But the next morning the mosquitoes were wild. Everyone had bites from our morning packing up. It was hot (camped at end of July/beginning of August), but water was a good escape. We escaped into the town of Berlin on some of the hotter hours of the day for ice cream to beat the heat (and charge our electronics in the car). Great spot. I’d come back, but maybe later in the year when it’s not so hot!

Nice place

No frills but very nice. Close to everything