South Toledo Bend, TEXAS
Camping Texas South Toledo Bend
Most Recent South Toledo Bend Camping Reviews
Great campsite!

A wonderful small campsite that is very peaceful! It’s a great campsite that isn’t very crowded. Sites are spacious and friendly workers.

Great quiet place

This is a great camp site for quiet peaceful camping!

Gorgeous

Beautiful place to camp! Access to boat ramps for fishing, with great areas to push in canoes/kayaks. Wonderful fishing on Toledo. LOTS of ants though! Also, not so clean.

Nice spot.

We came in late and left early, but it seems that there is quite a bit to do at the park. The lake is pretty and the tent spots are grassy and large. Clean bath house and nice showers. Mosquitos were out, but that's to be expected.

Simple basic camping

My wife and I camped here just before memorial day and had the entire campsite to ourselves. I imagine during hunting season this camp is quite busy, however we found it very peaceful in the off months. But hey, it’s free camping. Because of its location so deep in the woods mosquitoes, horseflies, and yellow flies were in abundance. Using a therma cell was perfect at keeping them at bay. There is a composting toilet in the middle of the campground that was very clean as it has had very little use.

Nice private campground

Nice location with a beautiful view of the hills. There is full hookups with a Bathhouse and free WiFi. Entrance road is gravel and very steep but I was able to drive my 34’ motor home up pulling my jeep no problem. The owner does not stay on site but he did meet us there when we arrived. Not far from Natchitoches , LA. There is a big Christmas festival there late November and December with lots of lights.

Quiet, clean, and close to so much to explore and do!

This was our first visit to Hank's Creek and it won't be our last. First of all, the camp hostess (?) was the best - friendly, helpful, just charming as can be. The camp ground itself is beautiful, even after the recent heavy rains with the water way up into the camp. The facilities were spotless and everything worked well. We had arranged for full hookup with a shelter and the area was spotless. Quiet, even on Memorial Day weekend, with a visible drive through by the Angelina Sheriff's Office on a regular basis. Highly recommended.

Also, the area offers a good variety of restaurants and shopping if you venture away from the lake area. If you're a geocacher, there are lots of interesting caches not too far a drive away. There is one practically onsite but due to the aforementioned rains was in a closed off area this visit.

Nice

We tented here on a rainy weekend unfortunately. It was a nice site right near the water, and we saw a lot of wildlife like an armadillo, raccoon, and deer. We got out for a little bit to go for a walk and went to some of the trails which were scenic but super buggy. Bring spray and citronella candles!

Classic Texas State Park

Its a classic east Texas state park. The restrooms arent hotel quality but they are for sure better than a hole in the ground. The park itself is pretty and situated on a lake, providing scenic trails and water craft activities

Swampy

Beautiful park but so many bugs. Did some canoeing, hiking and bird watching. A good park to get away from the city. The landscape is swampy but it was beautiful in its own way. A very good campground to see stars at night. It gets pitch black. Restrooms are very clean and the rangers are very helpful and nice.

Wooded

Great area. More wooded and peaceful. Fewer views of the lake than Cypress Bend. Huge pool is a plus. Staff are always courteous. Clean bathhouse. Water and electricity only. Dump station is provided. Two lane boat ramp. Fish cleaning station. Playground. Pavilion.

Great views

Great views of the lake. Beautiful sunsets. Beach, playground, volleyball, cabins, pavilion, full hookups, multiple boat ramps, open water! We love camping here!

Good but

Great place love it Only thing is they rarely have caretakers there and people that camp usually muck the place up either with loud annoying music or kids way past the time everything is suppose to stop for the night

Vacation and Wife's Birthday camping

We always have a good time. We had a shelter site, but also set up a tent. Reservations online were quick and easy, and when we arrived our site was ready for us. The Host soon came around and gave us our passes. It was cool and a little rainy. But we had fun fishing. Thanks for everything.

Rayburn Park

Right now the park is open on the south end. While sites 1-19 are going to be renovated some time with in the next year. Great park!!!

Loved being by the water

If you want to escape the hot summer in Texas, I would recommend coming to Brookeland Campground because there is a beautiful lake nearby. My cousins and I took a trip to this campground to enjoy the lake, hiking and of course the outdoors. We brought a 6 person tent, and this fit comfortably in our campsite. There is also a fire ring and table within your site as well. There is only 1 bathroom within the campground, or at least what we could find. It was a porta-potty style, and smelt so bad. Not sure how often they clean it, but it was pretty bad (especially with the heat….made it worse!). Thankfully we came prepared and brought our own toilet paper, because by the 2nd night we were there, there was no toilet paper in the bathroom. We heard a few people complain about this. Although the bathroom was gross, the rest of the campground was pretty clean. There are dumpsters as you leave, so please make sure to clean up after yourselves. We enjoyed hiking in the morning, and then playing in the lake mid morning-afternoon. There were tons of people swimming, boating, tubing, kayaking and stand up paddle boarding. It was a blast, and perfect for the hot weather. Definitely bring bug spray because there were so many mosquitos near the campground. I left with a few pretty big welts. I would definitely come back to this campground! Recommend.

One of my faves

This was one of my friends and my favorite place to visit in college. We would go camping as much as we could because we wanted to escape school. We loved our stay here. We were able to fit 2 tents in 1 spot. I believe it was $12 a night to stay here, so it was super cheap for my friends and I for s fun weekend. We got up early and went hiking with our dogs and enjoyed the fire in the evening in our campsite making s’mores. I remember when we were here the weather was perfect. Too many bugs, but we made sure to keep our tent closed and bug spray on. We bought our firewood from a store about 20’ miles away from the campground, so definitely bring your own or make sure to buy it at the closest spot you see. Bathroom on site and there is also a playground for kids. Horseshoe was also available to play. The rangers were awesome!!

Awesome

Awesome place to camp with family

Awesome

Tom my grandkids and had a blast. Definitely recommend

Park hosting

My wife and I have been park hosts here at Martin Dies jr state park for 3 months now. We have been coming here for years. The park has around 200 rv, tent sites, and cabins ( 3 cabins have a/c ). They have trails and rent kayaks and canoes. Plenty of Wildlife like deer, raccoons, gray foxes, birds and of course gators.

Our favorite

This is my husband and my favorite camp ground. Very quiet. Love that the public swimming hole and boat ramp are not inside the park. 2 Pull throughs right on the water. Lots of different spaces to choose from no matter yer your camping needs. Primitive, screened shelters, shelter with full hook-ups, and full hook-ups. Bathrooms are always clean and showers are private.

Hidden gem only two hours from Houston

This park is a great option for those looking for a spot not too far from Houston, but less busy than other parks such as Huntsville State Park, etc. that are a little closer to Houston. It’s also a nice option for those wanting to visit Big Thicket, but seeking a less primative camping experience (the Big Thicket National Preserve has primitive camping only).

Most of the campsites have enough trees to set up a hammock. If you get there while the office is open, they will give you the choice of picking your own campsite (of those still available).

Canoe and kayak rentals are dirt cheap. You might see an alligator while canoeing, but per the park workers they don’t bother people.

Bring bug spray! Especially in the hotter months.

Backbone Trail

Primitive camping along the 10mi Backbone trail. Took out the hammock and camped out around the halfway mark along the trail. You can set up shop around an old fire pit or make one of your own. I chose the latter. The backbone trail has to be the prettiest trail in the state of Louisiana. It's really the only place in the state to experience actual hills. It reached 23 degrees at night which was one of the coldest temperatures recorded in the state this year. A must do!

Great camping

Came here with a big group of family. They were in an RV, I stayed in a tent. Roads are paved, kids can roam, lots of trails and some playgrounds. The showers arent bad either. The lake was fun to kayak on. It was raining so not many people were there. Spiders galore here, fair warning.

Blast

My family and I stayed here a few summers back and had a great time. The location was great, right off the road and easy to find. You do have to do down a gravel dirt road, and when we went on it it must have rained the day before because the road was pretty muddy but doable. The campground is great, and next to a lake. You are surrounded by the lake and beautiful trees. It is a great place to stay if you love the water, hiking, and fishing. We also saw quite a few people bird watching, so if that is something you enjoy then I would recommend this place. I don't bird watch, but we asked a couple who were bird watching if it was worth it and they said absolutely! There are quite a few campsites, over 100 I would say. They are great size, and come with a picnic table and fire ring. There is also water and electrical hook ups. There also are some great activities on site- like a volleyball court, swimming area, playground, and an area to picnic. Can't say enough great things about this place. Go visit!

Great fishing and no crowds, except the mosquitos.

Ok it's August it Texas so it was hot and the mosquitos were in full force. We knew that was. coming so we were prepared. The fishing was great and this State Park is one of those hidden gems. There was no crowd, it was like we had the whole place to ourselves. the deer walked by every night and the fireflies put on a show.

Bayou and trails

Located inside the Kisatchie National Forest, Kisatchie District this campsite is at the same location as Kisatchie Bayou Campground Day Use Area. The 2 spots share a pit toilet and access to the bayou. The sites are basic and secluded and beautiful with the bayou water running in the background.

This is a great campground to explore the entire forest and all the hiking trails. My photos are of all the things we explored while staying at this campground, some things are not inside campground.

"Ranger Review: INNO Aero Light 2 (2 bike) at Kisatchie Bayou Recreation.."

CAMPGROUND REVIEW:

Located inside the Kisatchie National Forest, Kisatchie District, this campground is great. This section of National Forest is home to over 30 miles of nature trails. The trails are for hiking, biking, horseback riding and off road vehicle riding. This campground is just steps away from the bayou where you can launch a canoe or kayak depending on the water level. Fishing and swimming are great pastimes here. The site has a grassy area and fire pit. There are vault toilets and NO WATER so be prepared for that. The day use area offers picnic tables, fire pits and grills. There are 2 different sites for camping on either side of the day use area. The day use area has a lot of local traffic but we did not encounter a lot of overnight campers. It is very secluded and the sound of the bayou is serene. There are lots of wildlife sounds at night but we didn't see anything more than a squirrel. We loved our stay here. We hiked, biked, and relaxed in the low waters of the bayou.

NOTE - Kisatchie Bayou Recreation Complex Camping/Day Use is the same area as Kisatchie Bayou Campground

PRODUCT REVIEW:

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - today I tested the INNO Aero Light 2 (2 bike) hitch rack.

www.innoracks.com

This bike rack made our trip so easy. It was easy to set up, easy to install (my 8 yr old did it). The simple hitch design slides right into a standard 2" hitch receiver or can be adjusted to 1 1/4". The screw bolt came with it along with a wrench for tightening on the receiver. We easily secured 2 bikes to the rack. Bike weight needs to be less than 33 lbs., have a top tube and a seat tube. Frame size 1/2" - 2 1/4". We loved this rack for its sturdiness and lightweightedness. It traveled great, we drove with the rack on my SUV for over 300 miles and we never had any problems. A great feature is the easy fold down option to allow access to the back of the car. This rack also features great locking mechanisms. You can lock the rack at the hitch as well as lock the built in strap around the bikes. As our little one grows and his bike gets bigger, we will definitely get a larger INNO rack to carry all the bikes. For now, the 2 bike rack is working great.

Pros: lightweight, easy install, easy fold down feature, great locking mechanisms.

Cons: None

At the beginning of the forest

Inside the Kisatchie National Forest, Kisatchie District next door to the Ranger Station where you will find all trail maps and forest information. This campground offers water, designated sites, flush toilets, trash disposal and a great starting point to exploring the forest or just traveling down Longleaf Trail Scenic Byway. I would suggest if you will be in the forest for a few days to start here, get your maps and spend some time planning your route. Load up with water because not all campgrounds have it.