the dyrt
Equestrian
About Holida (Texas)
Holiday Park sits on the western edge of Benbrook Lake in north central Texas. Visitors enjoy hiking and horseback riding trails, a fishing pier and a sandy swimming beach. The park is also where the Fort Worth Thunderbirds, a radio-controlled model airplane club, fly regularly. Spectators love watching the scale model planes. Natural Features: Benbrook Lake is on the Clear Fork of the Trinity River, within the Grand Prairie region of Texas. Its just southwest of the Fort Worth metropolitan area. Recreation: Prevailing southwesterly winds on the lake attract plenty of avid windsurfers. Fishing, hiking, fossil hunting and boating are also popular. The lake record for largemouth bass is over thirteen pounds. A foot path from the campground leads to a nature trail with a photography blind. Visitors can spot bluebirds, kinglets, woodpeckers and Carolina chickadees. The trail continues for 14 miles, offering hiking and horseback riding. Facilities: Holiday Park offers a variety of sites, including equestrian, shelters, tent and walk-in only sites. There are plenty of wide-open spaces for activities, and boat ramps, docks and fishing piers help visitors enjoy the lake. Nearby Attractions: Fort Worth’s renowned Cultural & Museum District, Stockyards National Historic District, Botanical Gardens, Zoo, Bass Performance Hall, and Sundance Square downtown, are all nearby.
Drive in
US Army Corps of Engineers
Holida (Texas) is located in Texas
Directions
From Interstate 20 in Fort Worth, Texas, take exit 429A for Highway 377toward Granbury. Continue for 5.7 miles and turn left on Pearl RanchDrive. Continue 2 miles east to the park.
2 Reviews of Holida (Texas)
Lovely time!

Holiday Campground in Texas was really great and my family and I had such a good time. We camp a few times every summer because we all have summers off (parents are teachers) so we have made our rounds camping! One thing we always look for is a great place that has hiking. We are big hikers so this is always a must. This place has some good hikes that kept us busy. The views were outstanding. There is also a lake, Benbrook Lake, that we enjoyed as well. It was nice to jump into the lake after a long day of hiking. We also saw people horseback riding on the trails which looked like a lot of fun. There are a few different types of camping sites you can choose from. They have the typical campsites with tents, shelters, walk in tenting, and equestrian sites. The sites are pretty good size which we really liked. Another thing we did was we went to the zoo which was nearby. This was a lot of fun and I would recommend going there is you have young kids. Loved this place, highly recommend.

Ranger Review: Lakefront camping in town

Campground Review

I spent a night at Holiday Park which is one of three on Benbrook lake. It used to be father outside of town, but as the suburbs creep in, it is slowly becoming surrounded. In fact, it appears part of the property had been sold off for development as one camp road ended and houses began. It must be a wonderful perk for those residents to be able to just walk in for swimming or fishing. I neglected to do a satellite view before choosing my spot, so I was in one of the handful that had no trees. It was fine though as there are covered tables and the polls were strong enough to hold me in a hammock as well as put up shade. I was also right on the water, so there was a nice breeze.

If you’re into fishing, this spot is for you. Every couple of minutes there was a “plop” from another fish popping out of the water. If you have a small boat, you could drop in right from your site and head out across the lake. Take care though, there are a few boats and some moving pretty quick.

Love wildlife? There were dozens of deer out of all sizes. I came across 5 different groups of them as I was driving around taking in the entire campground. Of course, where there are deer there are ticks. Make sure to use insect repellent and give yourself a check.

The toilets and showers are showing their age, so they are not for the squeamish. There are no hiking trails to speak of, but they do have an equestrian trail and sites if you have horses. Bicyclists seem to love it here as I saw dozens riding the streets. I got to barely hear a Friday night football game being called across the lake with bright stadium lights and all. Site prices were $14 for just the covered table or $28 with water and electric

Pros

• Close to town
  • Easy online check in
  • Friendly park staff
  • Access to various water sports

Cons

• City is encroaching
  • Relatively expensive
  • Not many hiking trails
  • Aging facilities

Product Review

As a ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products from time to time. I was given the opportunity to test the Hellagood blanket by Belmont Blanket. As a cover, it is very warm. The soft layer is a faux fur with medium plush. The other side is a rubbery, waterproof material. The soft side tended to hold onto debris and pet hair, but cleaned up with a few shakes. It's a bit heavy, weighing about 3 lbs, so it's not bad for day hikes, but I would not recommend it for long excursions. I laid it out on the wet ground and it is completely waterproof. If you camp in a rainy area, the blanket would act as a decent rain shield. It got a bit chill once the sun went down and the breeze came off the lake. Soft and warm by the fire. When I went to sleep, I realized I’d forgotten my pillow so I folded it up with the soft side out and slept like a baby. All in all, I love the blanket and look forward to using it on other trips.

Pros

• Soft
  • Waterproof
  • Washable
  • Durable
  • Handmade in the USA

Cons

• A bit heavy
  • Tricky to roll up
  • Kind of pricey