The best EQUESTRIAN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Mims Chapel Camping Reviews
Another great Texas state park

Gorgeous waterfront sites with excellent fishing. Fun trails! Highly recommended

Gorgeous! Even in Winter

Great wifi and bathrooms. Tons of security. Decent (even if short) trails.

Sign is too close to the highway without a safe place to park but there's an old sign inside the park.

Park store closed during winter except open on Saturdays.

Huge swimming beach.

Nice Cheap Gem

4.5 total miles of trails and none of it difficult. You can't take a baby stroller but obey because of a few branches, it's all easy hiking.

One bathroom but all the lits are spacious and secluded.

The lake is great. Beautiful swimming area and playground. We were here 7 days and only left once to hut Walmart (20 minutes)

Definitely 5 star, and only 18/night. Just as good as the 25/night Texas State Parks.

And as always, as a Texas State Park it is extremely safe. Park Police (actual police) are scene everywhere.

Oh, and everywhere it says no wifi and while it's true you can't log into a free network we had zero problems getting wifi on our phones and we were the only people in our loop being midweek during winter.

Lots of trees, lots of wildlife

First time to this park and we liked it. It is very thickly wooded which makes even the smallest sites private. We stayed on site 08 which on the map looks like it’s on the water but the brush is dense so there is no water view. Sites 10-13 are nice waterfront sites. We came here for fall colors but I think we were just a little late, but the park was still pretty. One morning, as I was sitting drinking my coffee, four deer walked right through our site!! We had a regular nighttime visit from some bold raccoons, so definitely put your goodies and trash away. Overnight spider webs cover everything and I’m quite sure we took a hundred spiders home with us!😂 The firewood from the park was plentiful and donation based. It was wet but my husband is a pyro who could probably start a fire with a block of ice!🤪 The only negative for me was the echo of the cars coming over the bridge throughout the day.

Beautiful and peaceful

Driving into this park was so gorgeous! we arrived and were met with a big field with lots of kids playing. The store was closed (for the winter holidays I assume), but bathrooms were some of the best I've been in at a state park. We camped at site 49 at the Cedar Ridge campgrounds and were super happy with the site. Some sites at the entrance of the Cedar Ridge area were worryingly close together - wouldn't recommend.

Mountain View trail was a bit challenging to stay on, but everything was beautiful and both it and Rustling Leaves had great views! Will be back!

Wish I could have stayed longer!

This was a quick stopover on my way to another campground and I wish I could have stayed longer. Sites were private, lake view was great. Bathrooms were clean and heated. Raccoon did peek its head into my camper… ahhh!

Perfect getaway close from home

My husband and I just started our camping adventures so we are not big connoisseurs on the “campgrounds of America” topic yet, but we were impressed by this State Park. Peaceful, beautiful trees surrounding you at all times, great campgrounds and all facilities were super clean at all times! There are a couple hiking trails but they are mainly easy walks. Is a great place to go relax, walk by the lake and hang out making S’mores! We live in Dallas so its only 2hrs away from home so is a perfect weekend getaway. 🏕🥰🍁

Very comfortable State Park Few Pull through

Great fun at Halloween- campers and community comes out in great numbers to decorate and trick or treat! Very fun. The decorations by campers is just as fun to explore as the trick or treaters costumes. Christmas is the same. Everyone outdoes the other with lights, special effects. Call ahead for a site. Bathrooms are clean.

Clear, calm lake bordered by towering pines

This park is easily in our Top 3 in the Texas State Parks system. It's a small park, but a little slice of heaven. Towering pine trees grow right up to the waters' edge. So peaceful. Donna, my wife, will often sit and gaze over the water.

The park is neat and tidy, and the bathrooms have always been clean. There are several picnic tables by the lake, a swim out platform, kayaks, paddleboats, a fishing pier, and a few swings on the playground. We typically visit during the week, so it's always been pretty quiet. And if you need supplies, there's a Brookshire's grocery nearby(only a few miles away). One trip, we decided to fish and grabbed bait from the Ace Hardware in town.

We love laying in our hammocks, watching the pines sway, and listening to the birds sing. In the warmer months, we swim and splash around the floating platform. And with a fire pit at every site, s'mores are a given each night(so long as there's no burn ban).

There's a short trail that circles the lake(about 2.5 miles). We do it EVERY trip. It's a beautiful and easy hike. Take a picnic and make your way to the CCC picnic area on the lake's other side. There will be a spot where you can enjoy your lunch, looking back across the water.(But don't let your dog grab your PB&J when you're not looking or you'll be hungry on the way back.)

Hiking is amazing

The kids loved the versatility of the trails at this SP. we climbed to 535 ft, walked around the lake and explored waterfalls all at the same park! Good times and good facilities!