The #1 Camping App
Camp with confidence with the highest-ranked camping app for both iOS and Android. Search more than 500,000 listings, reviews, and tips for campsites across the U.S.
Enter your phone number to get the app.
Beautiful sites and lake front camping have a loop for first come first serve
Things to know:
- Area is managed by Durham Parks and Rec.. the campground is on a hill above Lake Michie. -You are supposed to make reservations but most folks don’t.
- Sites are numbered, with a large group camping area and small hiking trails.
- There are pit toilets and water (seasonal, typically on March thru October). -The driveway shares with the Spruce Pine Lodge, which has a parking area and playground area. This is a rental for events.
- On occasion there is a chain across the drive into the camping area (typically winter months).
- Beware of locals pulling in late at night to do adult things in their cars.
Lake Michie is one of Durham’s water reservoir. This property is actually managed by Durham Park and Rec and you are supposed to pay to reserve; however most folks do not. This site is primitive and borders the lake. The road is very rutted and unkempt. Two pit toilets are located nearby and well hidden. There is a small stone fire pit with a grill top attached.
Large field and dispersed camping throughout the area. Plenty of pine straw and wood to use for a fire.
The road in is also someone’s driveway so use caution.
Stayed here twice, once in a tent and once in our camper. The bathrooms are very clean and the sites are very roomy. My kids enjoyed the playground and the site we had both times were right beside the lake so we swam and fished alot. There was always a park ranger around so anything we needed was taken care of and we felt safe at night as they patrolled the grounds often. A very nice campground with low prices! We are going back this summer!
Mostly camping clean access to lake with boats kayak sailboats
Really great views, particularly in the fall. Never really crowded. Great hiking trails or you can just read and cook by the fire. Have been going there for years with my kids. An excellent, little known spot.
We love camping at Lake Jordan, unfortunately we’ve usually camped there while I was having surgery at Duke. However we have been there at other times too. There’s a nice sand beach on the lake and a boat launch as well. Some of the sites offer a tie-off of your boat adjacent to your campsite. The camping sites are spacious and most are level.