Yurts
About Occoneechee State Park & Marina

This recreation area is part of John H. Kerr Dam and Reservoir

Occoneechee State Park & Marina is located in Virginia
11 Reviews of Occoneechee State Park & Marina
The last summer with the guys

I absolutely loved Occoneechee the drive for me kills the my gas but it was definitely worth it the standard electric sites are in good shape and if your lucky on what your reserve you can get right on the water which is awesome until it’s 4:00 in the morning and the bass anglers are drive there speed boats but all in all this get a five star because the camps sites accommodated every me and buddies needs.

Great yurt camping!

This was our first time staying in a yurt and we loved it!

Its like tent camping except you get to sleep in a bed. We stayed in September so the fact that there is no AC or electricity in the yurt was not an issue because the weather was moderate. Yurt 1 is a bit of a walk to the bathrooms, that is the only negative thing I can think of. The beds were comfortable. You have to bring your own sheets and pillows.  There is also a small table and chairs inside the yurt. Loved that there was no tent to pack up when it was time to leave! There  was a fire ring and picnic table outside as well as a large deck around the yurt with two rocking chairs. Driving around the campground, there are some fantastic waterfront sites in the same loop as the yurts that we'd love to come back and stay at! They have great views of Buggs Island Lake.

We did some hiking while we were there but there are not a ton of trails. We spent most of our free time at the splash pad. The kids loved that!

Overall this is a great little park! I only gave it 4 stars because there's not a ton to do.

Too close to civilization

Was a pretty nice lake to visit once, but I never felt like I was out in the wilderness with the large freeways so close. Still, there were pretty coves to explore on the HUGE lake, and the campsites were very green and scenic - if a bit too close together. I liked hiking the trails, some of which had interesting historical markers. Renting a kayak took a lot longer than I'd expected, just because the rental office seemed understaffed to me. Would have loved this park if it were just a bit more off the beaten path, so to speak.

Great lakeside sites

The “C” campground has RV sites that you can tent camp at as well that are site specific and lake front. Great for renting a pontoon boat or putting a kayak in the water. They have added a splash park for the kids which helps in the summer.

Awesome with lots of things to do.

We have a larger trailer so we had to stay in the equestrian area. There weren’t showers by us but there was 1 bathroom. The site is spacious and secluded although the few sites are packed into each other. There are smaller sites but are also closer together. Great place for biking, hiking, and being on the lake. They also have a new splash pad that the kids loved. While we were out there they had park personnel go over a few local birds of prey. We’ll be back!

Our Hiking and Camping group loved it! Going every year now!

Awesome spot - spacious camping spots along the most beautiful cliffs - hiking was wonderful with wildlife galore! Kayaking was the BEST experience I have had yet! Staff more than friendly and very very helpful. Store was great and well stocked with neat things. Showers and potties were cleaner than most places I have been! A++++ all the way around!

not for tent camping

well I have a cot so I was good on the gravel area that they want you to put your tent on but the person I was camping with did not and they asked her to move to gravel. who tents on gravel when you have to sleep on the ground? not cool. showers also had no lip so water just got everywhere. views were ok but no place to jump in the beautiful lake for refreshment. went to go to splash park and no dogs aloud so no place for me and pup to cool off.

Beautiful area

This is a great campground all around. The sites have ample room and they’re spaced far enough apart that you actually have privacy (unless you camp on the waterfront where they’re smaller and close together). The lake is gorgeous and offers fishing, swimming, boating, canoeing, kayaking, and SUPing. There’s a large playground and easy walking trails. The central bathhouses have showers, flush toilets, and utility sinks; the smaller bathrooms in the loops are open pit toilets with no sinks. Cell service is fairly reliable.

Kayak

It was a great place to test out my new kayak

Awesome summer camp spot.

Water Water everywhere. Paddle boards….canoes if you have them this is a great place to go. Campgrounds are right next to the water for easy access. Pet friendly which is a must. Great place to go during the summer.