The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Ashley Heights , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Ashley Heights Camping Reviews
Rustic farm campground

The owners of the property, Lisa and Brian, were helpful and accommodating! It rained most of that week, and during the day I was there. They offered alternative sites for my tent, one of which had a protective overhang. I would have stayed in the back near the treeline, but because of all the rain I ended up staying at the front of the property (near the rv area which had higher ground).

The campground restroom was really nice, has air conditioning, heating, and a clean private shower. There is also a washer, a microwave and even wifi in there.

If you have a family with small children, they will love the horses, chickens, guinea hens, and the couple of friendly cats and dogs that they own.

These folks are awesome people and I will definitely camp there in the spring.

Off season gem!

Didn’t have any expectations of this place since it’s in the middle of nowhere and not many photos. We loved it here. We were lucky enough to catch a great view of Jupiter merging with Saturn last night. Super cheap. We stayed four nights for under $100. 30/50 hookups and water. No sewer but very close dump station in campground. Primitive camping area for tents too. Pull through sites and back in. Spacious sites that feel nicely private surrounded by evergreens which is a nice relief in winter to see trees with leaves. The lake is beautiful. Awesome walking trail that takes you to the other side of the lake where there is a playground. Lots of swings and benches and picnic tables around. Barely anyone here in December, so it feels so nice to be out of our house but not needing masks constantly. When it isn’t off season they have cheap boat rentals. Firewood is $6.50 per bundle.

Beautiful, accommodating farm. Perfect place.

This was our very first night in our RV and Brian and Lisa could not have been more hospitable and kind. We were two hours later than expected and they waited up for us late into the night to show us the ropes. In the morning Brian took our two year old on a tour of their amazing farm — horses, cows, ducks, chickens, and all the tractors of our toddlers’ dreams … we felt like houseguests of old friends. The long term residents, many of whom are seasonal workers, were also so friendly. We were just there for one night but it felt like a real community in a beautiful part of the world and not too far from the highway. Highly recommend!!

Dispersed camping

This is a great area for dispersed campers with 4WD or AWD. It's pretty popular so head out early to secure your spot. Some of the sites may have a little trash left from the last user, so please try to leave it cleaner than you came to. No toilets for disperesed areas. Most sites have rock fire pits and room to set up. Love it here. Plenty of OHV trails as well.

If you need a free place to park and camp

It is free camping in this area on the weekend these horse clubs will come in with your trailers in horse they're not very friendly they're nosy and they do not like Outsiders but this is a national park to it is open to you to hear up to 14 days the town of Troy is not very friendly they want your money but they don't want you this is our second time here and it both times has been very unpleasant the trails are nice to walk the lake is beautiful as long as you keep to yourself and you should have no problem but these horse people got to be printed they're not your friends as soon as they turn your back they're calling the Ranger and trying to get you throw it out good luck with it I hope you have a better trip than we did

Phenomenal experience

Great getaway

I have stayed here multiple times. I really love setting up on the water sites and having my kayak and fishing gear ready to go. The golf course is excellent and price friendly. Easy to get to nearby towns if one chooses to get to civilization.

Nice sites

The tent sites nice and clean and level. The host drove through many many times in the 3 days I was there. Bathrooms are what you can expect from a state park clean with little bugs here and there but nothing you can do about that in the middle of the woods. Overall great place good four-wheeling and nice accommodations

Canebrake Horse Camp

Canebrake Horse Camp has 28 sites with parking spurs for horse trailers. Four of these sites are double camp sites. Each site has a picnic table, grill, fire ring, lantern post, tie posts, tack tables, and electrical hookups. Up to two vehicles are allowed at each site.

Excellent camping for both RV and Tents

Morrow Mountain State Park is a family camping ground for all ages and has an in ground swimming pool plus a boat launch.  I enjoyed tent camping with my family and fishing on the lake.  There is a large public swimming pool and each camping area has toilet and shower facilities.  You can burn fire wood in pits and there are grills for charcoaling BBQs.  The highlight to a early morning wake up are having deer walking through your camping site.  There was a loud whipperwill sounding off with echoes coming from the hillsides.  It is a first come first serve and there is a small fee collected by a Park Ranger.