Standard (Tent/RV)
Equestrian
About Uwharrie Hunt Camp

Uwharrie Hunt Camp has eight sites for tent camping. Each site has a table, grill, lantern posts, and tent pad. Two vault toilets are provided in the campground. There are also 2 drinking water spigots available. Opportunities for hiking, boating, fishing, swimming, hunting, OHV trail use and picnicking are available within a short drive. Country stores are located in the nearby communities of Uwharrie and Eldorado.

National Forest
RVs and Trailers
No Sanitary Dump
Uwharrie Hunt Camp is located in North Carolina
Directions
From Troy, on Hwy 109 North  turn left on SR 1153. Uwharrie Hunt Camp  is on the right.
5 Reviews of Uwharrie Hunt Camp
$5 per night...What? What?

We hit this campground right at the perfect time of year, BEFORE the opening day of off-road vehicle season in April.  When National Forests post on their signs “Land of Many Uses,” I get it; there’s a lot of stuff people like to do in the woods. I have a lot on my list, but OHVing really ain't our thing.

If it is your thing, then by all means come on down, cuz this place is made for it. There are trails for days within these stunning mountains that serve as the foothills for the Appalachians. Horse trail riding is second on the list of activities within the park judging by the number of trails. Sharing these trails with horses isn’t difficult if you’re just hiking, but remember to be kind to those riders since horses can be skittish. Mountain biking is also not to be left off the list, and there are some great trails through here as well, that you don’t have to share with the motorized enthusiast.

The campground is a quaint, and only $5 per night!  With only 6 sites and what appears to be an over-sized parking lot right next to it, the lot accommodates the OHV trailers. The campsites are rustic, grassy and comfortable, though no privacy in between.  Most sites are a short walk from the parking lot, so you might have to do a little bit of schlepping, but not much. The campground had a couple spigots and the pit toilets were clean.  We also found the campground itself very clean, but it was still early in the year and we were the only campers in the area in early March. The hunt camp is closer to the OHV trails than some other campgrounds in the forest so I suspect during the season this is a popular place to bring the side-by-side.

There is a small convenience store in Uwharrie, offering sandwiches and made-to-order food, but not much in the way of groceries. Another 10 miles and you’ll be in Troy which has a bigger grocery store, and restaurants.

Nearby

I didn’t stay in Hunt Camp proper, but just up the road. It is very quiet and enjoyable. Hung my hammocks from nearby trees and slept very well. Doing a little scouting for the upcoming hunting season.

Peaceful and comfortable

My husband and I took our two dogs backpacking for a weekend at Uhwarrie Park. After a long drive trying to find my husbands original spot we found a new one. Beautiful scenery. The only issue is we couldn't find a good location near water so thankfully we brought our own in case. It was a awesome campsite and nice little day trek with the dogs. Only animal we encountered was a wild dog lol but overall I enjoyed it.

Beautiful and Secluded

This is a beautiful campground with good facilities. There is a good trail around the lake that offers some beautiful views across the lake. Pretty good fishing too.

Cyber Monday Gift Extended 6 months of FREE PRO camping features. Get Your Gift