The best RV SITES camping near
Alamillo , NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Alamillo Camping Reviews
Okay Park

It’s okay. Has decent hookups and a firepit. Comes with free firewood, which was nice. Has a picnic table. No showers. No bathrooms during covid, which sucks. Campsites are pretty close together.

Not open

This campground has not been open for many years due to vandalism.

Best free campsite I have ever been to!

We just arrived at this free campground. Concrete picnic tables and fire rings provided. We are surrounded by what looks to me like oak trees, but I have yet to confirm that. It reminds me of my home state of Minnesota!

We are near the Rio Grande Bosque, and are looking forward to our ventures observing the migratory birds of the area.

Free for 2 More Years!

We loved this place. Attempted at first to camp at The Box down the road but it was really crowded so we came here and what a great choice!

This is a FREE campground but plans are in the works to started charging in 2 years at $10/night. There are gravel tent and parking pads, picnic tables, fire rings, pit toilets and garbage.

When you first pull in there is a narrow opening to a rocky dirt road straight ahead and to the left is a day use picnic area. The sign at the beginning of the dirt road said trailers not advisable but one came down before we started up so we went for it. We have a 26 foot class C. Dirt road driving experience necessary. The road is quite narrow, rocky and has a couple washouts and tight turns but not impossible to navigate….use your best judgement!

There were only a couple of other campers and the views are very nice. Some sites are close together however. There are pit toilets and garbage at the beginning of the campground and at the end loop.

Great hiking area too! Further down the road where it says "no turn around" is a group site but the gate is locked and you'll need to contact National Forest Service if you want to use this area.

There is no drinking water or cell reception from AT&T or Verizon. Pets allowed on a leash. Also there are free roaming cattle we saw on the main road in but none in the campground though there was poop evidence that they've been around.

Along the dirt road hiking trails near the campground people have made other camping areas with rock fire pits. The roads to these areas are narrow and 4WD necessary.

Rough Tent Camping...Great Rock Climbing

Drove down the night before in order to go climbing the next day.  Found a decent spot in a dry wash to put up the tent for the night.  It worked and allowed quick access to the crag in the morning.  Does start to get busy with climbers fairly early (8am or so).  Would be perfect for somebody with a camper-van or teardrop.

As good as it gets, Quiet, scenic and far enough away but not too far.

As good as it gets, Quiet, scenic and far enough away but not too far.

Humble but still pretty nice

We live in Albuquerque, but wanted to spend a day hiking the Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge. Kiva RV Park is just a 5 minute drive from the NWR, so we stayed there on a Friday night, so we could get up bright and early for our hiking the next day.

The folks running the place were very friendly. Led us to our spot and made sure everything was okay for us. It's a fairly humble place…gravel roads and parking spots. No concrete to be seen. Each slot has a fairly wide planted area, but this is not patches of green lawn. They have mature native trees and shrubs that are well maintained. Plenty of big cottonwood trees provided shade. The place is clearly run on a low budget, but is well maintained and there is pride in the work here. When we visited, it appeared to be nearly full, and it felt like perhaps 50/50 mix between long-term residents and overnight(or nearly overnight) visitors. There is a large corral area for horses. We walked over to it but there were no horses there. There's a little dog park, a bathhouse and laundry. We didn't use any of those amenities, so I can't comment. I believe the laundry is listed as free.(This is not the case with the wifi, which was complex and had a fee.) I just used my hotspot from my Verizon service and because we had 4 bars, that worked just fine for streaming some Netflix that night.

We really like the place. Lots of neighbors, but everyone was very friendly, and no late partying. A few kids. But really, it was all very pastoral and nice. We'd stay here again.

Not all was perfect. Aside from the less-than-friendly wifi: 1) The sewer hookup is just an open pipe. No threads. A little stinky when you take the cover off.  2) It is almost literally right next to the interstate. There's no denying those traffic noise is real. We slept with no issues, but if traffic noise doesn't act like white noise for you…you might want to look somewhere else. We're lucky; but I know this is a deal-breaker for some.

They do offer a Good Sam discount of 10%, so with tax, we paid $34. Well worth it. Very nice stay.

Beautiful park! Great staff!

Beautiful RV park! Bathrooms were very nice and CLEAN! There’s security at the entrance which is nice, and a small store for beer and fishing stuff. Everyone that works there is friendly and helpful.

FHU by the pond for $18?!

But wait, there's more; free firewood! Place was clean, level gravel, had great neighbors, and caught a fish within 10 minutes throwing out my lure. Fishing was busier in the morning but caught this just before sunset.

Do your reservations online, it's preferred according to their website (versus calling). It's easy and we stayed another night because it was chill and enjoyable. Was able to work on the RV without it being too hot or windy.

First night I was in site #1 for RVs and it had shade but no fire ring (but I think you can make your own fire ring). Site #2 has no shade but had a fire ring. Site #3 has shade, no fire ring.

Inexpensive, full hookup and bathrooms

This was inexpensive but turns out it will cost us a bit more in the long run. When we pulled up there was a maintenance employee doing his job. We were trying to get into our spot. My husband is hard of hearing and I was trying to guide him. I tell him “nooooo” and the guy tells him to “crank it” and guess what? He cranks it. Dents our bumper to the truck. Sooo yeah, that happened.

The site. It has all the amenities. The bathroom is tended to but basic. There is one light and it is right over campsite 13. So be aware. Luckily we have blackout blinds and that helped but dang it was bright. There are little stickers so don’t let pets run in the “grass” or kids barefoot. And bring your bug spray. I am covered in bug bites.

We loved the little town of Socorro. And this really was a pretty good deal overall. The lake part is really just a pond and if you want super quiet this is not for you as it was close to a busy road with ATVs and trucks running constantly over the gravel road and the occasional train.

Would I come here again? No.

But it was an adventure I suppose. All part of the ride.