The best WALK IN camping near
Amasa , MICHIGAN

Most Recent Amasa Camping Reviews
Beautiful beyond belief

The hike in was one of the most beautiful switch back type hikes, with breathtaking views of the gorge on the way down, a quick hike to the top of gorge once you’re down, then look down and see the waterfalls!

Quiet campground right by town and ORV trails.

Great little campground. It's small, clean and quiet. You self register for check-in, there's a bathroom building with 3 stalls and two showers(women) and hot water. We purchased an RV site($20) even though we were camping in a tent so our truck and trailer would fit and it comes with water and electricity at the camp site. Each campsite comes with a picnic table and fire ring. The ORV Route is right outside the campground entrance and you can ride to the trail. You can also get ice and gas at the gas station in town by taking the alley. We stayed again in 2020 in Our RV. They have 4 pull through sites with full hook-ups;$25 a night. 50/20 amps, high water pressure.

Remote and Pristine

This patch of wilderness within the Ottawa National Forest is unmatched. I didn’t think I was in the Midwest. Remote and not well traveled. I highly recommend heading over to nearby Silver Mountain.

Cramped camp sites, nice lake

This was our last and least favorite campground of our week long MI trip. If the weather had been warmer I think we would have had more fun here because the beach and lakefront is gorgeous, but it was too cold to swim. Campsites in the modern campground are small and very close to one another, plus it seemed as though the modern campground was full of giant rigs and trucks. This made for cramped roads and little space to maneuver even our small camper. There are some bike trails that lead out of the park but they don't really go anywhere, they just ended about a mile down the highway. There was a bike park that kids were taking bikes and scooters on that looked fun. There are several playground areas, which was fun for the kids.

A long way to be so close

Let me start by saying that I was really looking forward to this trip. Kayaking 2 hours to get to a secluded campsite? Yes please! Problem was we ended up being 20 yards away from the next site… which was clearly visible through the clear old growth forest. Most sites in Sylvania are 2 sites very near to each other. To add insult to injury, they ended up getting very loud and drunk at night. What do you do to get someone to stop ruining your wilderness camping vacation when there is no cell service and rangers aren't on duty? You suffer through it. Ruined the first vacation I've had in 4 years. My advice to is to book both sites for the nights you're staying. At $15 a night per site, it still ends up being a cheap investment for peace and quiet.

Enjoying the B Loop

Nice shaded and level lots. The B loop is close to hot showers and clean bathrooms. Plenty of room between neighbor campers. I enjoyed the hiking trails. Grocery and hardware store is close by.

Closed

The campground appeared to be closed.  Orange construction fencing blocking entry when we arrived.  We had to scramble to find other accommodations.

Walk in camping

Hike in camping

Beautiful campground away from everything

Beautiful campground. Secluded and on a beautiful lake.

Nicest of the 5 we stayed at

We took a week long trip and toured Michigan. We spent 2 nights at Van Riper, the other campers were nice, the playset was large, and the beach was nice. The beach was steps down to the access (difficult with a wagon- we didn’t know), and the bathroom wasn’t the cleanest during our stay. The stars were gorgeous.