Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 40 ft.
Young is located in Michigan
14 Reviews of Young
Camping on Lake Charlevoix

We stayed for a week at Young State Park in September of 2020. Our site was at the end of a row and we enjoyed a decent amount of space for a truck and trailer, 30 amp service, and AT&t cell service. (I ended up needing to use Teledoc :( and my husband was able to turn on the hotspot and laptop and use the web.) The site is dirt but was level.

Some sites were not in use because of high lake levels and park water problems. Leaking pipe? The small dune area leading up to Lake Charlevoix makes you feel like you are at Lake Michigan. We saw some beautiful sunsets from the edge of the water. There are a walkway and observation platform. There is some hiking, a place to walk your dog, swimming, and bathhouses. We used the campground as a base to explore surrounding towns like Boyne City and Charlevoix, but mostly for kayaking. It was very quiet during the week and was packed on Friday and Saturday nights. The fall color was building toward a peak and the scattered maple trees mixed with cedar made it very pretty. We would stay again in the offseason.

This is a beautiful campground on Lake Charlevoix

Young State is right on beautiful lake charlevoix with a great beach, trails, and boat ramp.

One of our favorites

We live relatively close but this is by far our favorite state park for a quick getaway. Some of the spots are a little close, but the park makes up for it with it’s amazing beach and proximity to Boyne City.

No kids getaway!

Young State Park was a quiet gem of a campground for us. The facilities were clean and the grounds themselves were a pleasure to walk around. The camp store was the best stocked one I’ve seen yet. All the sites were well sized with the exception of the waterside sites which were flooded due to the high lake levels lately. Other than that the campground has a lot to offer, especially being so close to Charlevoix and Petoskey.

Beautiful place!!

Totally worth the drive! For car camping, this place is a gem. Near the water, updated bathrooms and showers. Though the sites are close together but anytime you car camp that’s part of the charm. The beach area is gorgeous. Wonderful walkway that allows anyone in a wheelchair or anything to stool up the beach to check it out. Shallow enough to play i the water and the water is sandy. Staff were cheerful and easy to check in. So glad I made the choice to go there.

Family friendly

Great place for the whole family. Park ranger, crafts, and beach area for the kids. Very clean.

Postcard worthy

For being a modern campground this place is surrounded by trees and shade. Being close to the water is fantastic. Lovely paved walkway to the beach. The restroom was decent, met all the needs for camping. Staff was friendly and helpful. Sites were a good size. I happened to be at site #99 and it worked out just fine. Yes, this park is popular and it’s a family friendly place so you are bound to have some noise and deal with not much privacy. If you want that type of trip go backpacking. For car camping this was fantastic. I will for sure go back. Swimming at the beach area was also very nice.

My family and I have been coming here for years- I will always recommend this place!

Best beach in Michigan

Huge park with three sections. Terrace is the best but hard to get. Lake side sites. Nice facilities and camp store. Lake Charlevoix sunests revival the Carribean. Breathtaking.

Busy but lots to offer

This campground has so much to offer, some of those things include a nice Beach, small store, fishing, paths, great location with a nice bike ride to downtown Boyne city. My only concern was the condition of the hiking trails. This park actually covers a ton of land and they advertise all the hiking trails that they have, but last summer we tried to hike it and it was hardly marked and so overgrown the trail just disappeared in the tall marsh grass, it hadn't been managed in a very long time, luckily we had GPS. The sites can be very close to your neighbor, so must be a people person and know that kids will be noisy, all night. There's a more rustic secluded section for camping where the sites aren't as close and there's actually trees. Despite those things, this campground is super nice and convenient for all needs and activities.

Year 2021 Flag