The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
California Junction , IOWA

Most Recent California Junction Camping Reviews
Some of the Best Hiking in Southeast NE

I love Platte River State Park; there are accommodations for every type of camper - cabins, RV, privative - hell they even have teepees!

On top of the excellent camping offered, they have a wealth of amazing hiking / biking trails that traverse through some amazing scenery. Just like the camping, you can pick between the less intensive paved walkways or you can walk along the hilly bluffs that contour the Platte River.

Clean & kid friendly

Well kept & family friendly camping in Iowa! We were able to reserve an electric unit (#30) right off the lake and across the road from the large playground (~5 setups for different age groups). We could watch the kids play while getting food ready or preparing a line to throw in the water. Short walk to the very clean restrooms with flush toilets & showers. Will come back!

Clean, very nice campground, kid friendly

There’s a pretty big playground near all the sites. When I went in the first weekend of October they had a little trick or treat night too! Extremely nice amenities; flush toilet and showers. Very nice for Iowa state parks.

Higher rating but closed for now

This lake is one of the very few in Omaha that offers camping. And definitely of all types rv, and tent. But let me give you a disclaimer of why this is a 3 star. First the park is closed due to them draining it because of zebra mussels. Also I still feel weird about camping in a city, but that's my hang up. This place has always been well maintained, and offered a lot of amenities. They also offered rental boats for the lake, a really nice walking trail, and fishing. But for now we will have to wait to see what the improvements are going to be and how the lake turns out. More information to come later.

Mahoney review

My buddies and I rented cabin in the area. Lots of options when it comes to cabins tent areas and RV pads. There is enough here to keep you busy for a long time my favorite is the eagles nest you can see miles down the river. If you have a family I would strongly recommend a visit. Might be biased due to having a bunch of birthday parties here growing up but it’s one of my favorite places to take my son. Photos are taken from river looking at Mahoney.

Nice, and clean lake

This place was pleasantly clean to me. Blue lake which is the lake this state park sits on. When you drive in from the road you see on your right the lake and to your left are houses. You go farther down and you see picnic accesses off the lake. And there is a swimming area and beach further down with a fully accessible restroom. There is also a keelboat on display and visitor center with a musuem. The center was closed when we were here, (thanks covid). Behind that is a dock and a little look out tower next to it. This is where we saw people kayak mainly. You go farther down and this was where the campsites were. This appeared to be more of a park set up for rv and campers than any tents. You go farther down pass this and you find more accesses to trails, and taller grass. This is a great park especially for a rv, and how clean it is.

Love, hate

I have a love, hate relationship with this park. There are things I like, and things I don't like. There is plenty of things to do. Swimming and slides at a pool, paddleboats, fishing at some spots, bicycle rentals, ziplines, rock climbing, and other similar activities. However there are no tent camping, and the spots are not level, and are small. The place to me is not relaxing and not quiet, and everytime I have been there it is always packed. I will say I am probably to only in my family that feels this way. So if your more of an outdoors men type of person you probably will feel the same way I do. But I would not dismiss the idea of going to this park.

Been going here since I was a kid

First off let me start by saying, I have been going here since I was very little. So I may just have soft spot for this place. But I have always had a fun time here. Whether I was riding a bike around the paved roads. Fishing in one of the sandpit lakes they have to offer, or the river. Walk around the nature trails, or lakes. Or swimming in the swimming area, or wading in the Platte River. I have alway felt at home at this park. It's always clean, and quiet in frequent visits we have had. They offer tent, and rv camping either off the lakes or river. They have a day use area for the river where you can go and visit in the day or picnic. They also have old remodeled Union Pacific caboose you can stay in.

Reserve!

The camp office personnel are a bit annoying and don’t seem to want to help you much. You probably could get more help by visiting the cashier at the small camp store. We had a reservation, but the site was terrible crowded. We asked the office if they could move to a more secluded spot and they were not accommodating at all. It’s a rip off if you have to cancel your reservation. You also have to pay for the state park fees which is absurd!

Next to river

Riverside is a primitive campground so no electric available. There are fire pits and picnic tables at every site with ample space. There is also a playground and access to the Platte River. This campground fills up fast so you Igor wanna reserve ahead of time.