The best GROUP camping near
Hewittville , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Hewittville Camping Reviews
Fantastic backcountry sites

Short walk from the parking lot if carrying heavy gear, but still spaced out enough to feel isolated. Vault toilets right at the parking lot as well. Next to a big grassy area and hill for group games

Very quiet

This KOA is in a rural area. The signage to get there was very good, plus we had our GPS to help out. This area is QUIET! No trains, no interstate noise. It was great after a long day traveling. Bathrooms/showers are very clean& decorated nicely. Staff was courteous. Our site was fine. This KOA has many family activities, including a pool, mini golf, jumping pillow& a huge field for the kids to play. Cell service was fine.

Only bad thing- While checking in, the lady told me we couldn't use our sewer. She said the whole row was backing up. Since the dump station was also in this line, we couldn't dump. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I talked my husband out of dumping when we left the state park we were at because we were going to a KOA with a full hookup site! We camped at Springfield KOA Journey in a Travel Trailer.

Huge lake, nice camping

Camped here in a tent. Loved it. Raccoons are really brave and ate not afraid of humans. They know how to rip open a tent for food. Nothing is safe here. But a beautiful lake and campground.

Loved camping here

I camped here in a tent before we had an rv. The primitive sites were perfectly quiet and away from others. Toilet was close and so was parking. I kind of miss tent camping!!!

Great 1st campground expereince

I was nervous to camp here due to the bad reveiws about the owner yelling at people and calling the police. We just got a new 40ft 5th wheel and we had never taken our previous camper to a campground. We're pretty much newbies. Check in was ok. They kept radioing the front desk worker changing the spot she was to put us in. When we got to our spot it was blocked. I had to call about 7 or 8 times to get anyone to answer to find out what to do. I was so worried the owner was going to come and get angry. Someone finally answered, the owner came over and was very friendly. We got parked and settled. It rained a lot while we were here and of course our stairs landed right in a mud puddle but it was mostly well drained and clear water on the gravel. The gravel could be a bit thicker but it was decent. The shower house was clean bit cold. Heater was set to 55. I'm sure not many use the shower house this time of year. We had a lot of dirty towel from cleaning our dogs paws so much so we wanted to wash a load of towels. It took over 3 hours to dry out towels. Eek. But so far so good.

Beautifully quiet

i have been struggling with my life and went out here with someone trying to help me and had never heard of this place and we loved it.

We were the only ones there and I really don't have any negative thoughts about it..I was a bit bothered by one of the on site toilets..but it is like that in most campgrounds but thats it.

The price to tent/rv camp was 8 bucks

Cheapest we ever been to and we camp a lot.

We didn't take the rv just used a tent but I believe any spot there would have worked for our rv.have a 28 foot class a.

Only one spot had electric.

This place is a beautiful secret and I will be going back rv or tent .

I loved it.

Great Historic visit!

We recently moved back to the midwest after living in Washington state for 8 years. Time to start exploring! My husband and I had both previously been to New Salem but our children had not. Nor did we know there were hiking trails! The hiking trails are located on the road up the hill directly across from where you turn off of the highway to drive up to the village. There were really no signs to let you know they are there bit once you reach the parking lot all the trails are properly marked and well kept. Definitely worth the visit if you are checking out the other Lincoln sites in Springfield!

A nice quick stay.

In and out here for an overnight. No issues nice facility.

Perfect

Best campground hands down mellow and friendly

Crazy Convenient Overnight Spot

This place was a godsend. I called frantically searching for a space in late November and was greeted by a lovely person who got me all set up over the phone. She had me call as I was approaching and came down and met me at the office to check me in. It had water (with defroster on the podium), sewer and functional electric. Unfortunately the weather was garbage and I didn’t get to explore the lake but it was a great experience none the less.