The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Curran , ILLINOIS

Camping Illinois Curran Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent Curran Camping Reviews
Perfect

Best campground hands down mellow and friendly

Saw no Beaver

Beaver Dam State Park, Il

We did an overnighter here. We arrived in time to get a hike in before dinner meal.

The trail map is very basic and not totally accurate. The trails are poorly marked but with basic knowledge of your compass points you can figure them out. Staff may be limited due to Corona , so the trail maintenance may have suffered, it is overgrown in several areas. The overlook to the marsh is pretty cool. I found no mileage for the trails , there may be a purchasable map with more information or of course a trail App. The lake is picturesque and busy. Lotsa fisher people here. The trail goes all the way around the lake with several fishing spots. Theres a boat ramp near the parking area and several docks to use across the lake. A nice feature is located next to the boat ramp, a fish cleaning pavilion complete with pull down hoses.

The campground had an interesting set up. The sites in the loops are gravel and you have room but not a lot of privacy. I was in site 26 and you have to back between the two other sites into this one. Not difficult in my van but it could get interesting with a camper. I don’t think you would have the room to pull in and circle out. Electric at these sites , no water. There were hydrants spaces throughout for your water needs. The fire “rings” were interesting, with a flat “platform” to set your coals/fire on. Nice campground, I felt like somewhat of an outsider here, the occupants were possibly locals who obviously use the entire 14 day stay limit. Otherwise nice, basic, water activity centered campground. I did not see any swimming areas.

Great Campground!

We have stayed here twice, and will stay again for sure when in the area. Fantastic camp hosts, large pull through spots, pool, mini golf, and more. Very convenient to get too and the check in is very fast.

Great Place

We were coming here to camp with a group of friends. On the way down we had an issue with our camper and had to take it back to the shop. We called and the owner was willing to change our spot to a cabin with no notice. The cabins are nice and comfy and our friends camper spot was nice and spacious. The rest of the campground was clean, especially the bathrooms. Definitely check it out!!!

Pine Heaven!

This is a great campground mostly for tents though a few RVs were there too. Large sites in a pine forest with a thick bed of pine needles. Pit toilets and water are available. The orange trail (5 mile loop) starts at the campground making it easy to access the trail to check out the sandy forest and prickly pear cactus. I stayed on a Saturday night and there were less than a third of the sites in use though, frustratingly, most were reserved limiting our options though the people didn’t show up. Hiking in sand is challenging and you’ll get a work out! The campground was quiet and peaceful. About a 10 minute drive to a small town for supplies. Many, many miles of hiking so you can hike as much of as little as you like. Good trees for hammocks as well.

Nice place!

Catch and release fishing, small beach area with volleyball. Sites are small but clean. Bath house is clean and well maintained. Live music on the weekend. Definitely a heavy-drinking crowd. Camp store. It's in the middle of nowhere but only about 20 minutes to the nearest small town. No Verizon wireless service here or anywhere for about a 45 mile radius.

Loved it!

We rented two cabins for the weekend and loved the place. Cabins were modern and clean overlooking the pond. They offer kayaks, canoes, and peddle boats free to campers. There is an open cabin with games, books, and WiFi. Basketball court, play area, and outdoor games. Staff were friendly and helpful. Truly a gem of a find.

Stay here!

Beautiful campground! Super clean and peaceful. Highly recommend 👌

5 stars with a caveat

This is a beautiful state park, but hopefully you won’t have the same experience I did with the electric hookup. I stayed here right after the fourth of July and because of the heat over this holiday weekend and a completely full campground, the electricity couldn’t meet the demand and a transformer blew. By the time I arrived the transformer was repaired, however the pedestals in the section I was supposed to stay in had a problem. I was supposed to stay in site 27, but after 3 attempts to get power at 3 different sites, number 24 was the winner and this was a great site! The campground hosts were fantastic in resolving the situation as well.

Site 24 is huge and level with a picnic table and fire ring. Electric but no water at site. The site is totally private on one side because of a lake inlet and there’s a large back area right on the lake. The gravel pad is located right near a large, old bald cypress.

This park has multiple public use areas, 2 campgrounds, boat launches, fishing piers and a beach. I didn’t use the public restrooms because they were closed due to Covid-19. I was able to get internet with Verizon.

This state park felt like it was dropped into the middle of cornfields and made for a fun drive. The sunset views and stars were awesome!

Nice clean park with amenities.

This park is just south of Springfield, right next to the interstate. We have stayed here for two weeks. Nice walking trail, swimming pool, playground, outdoor checkers, basketball court, put put golf (closed because of covid but the pool isn’t?). Full site hookups 30/50 amp, water, sewer, cable and WiFi. Many many pros to this park. Cons- very pricey, WiFi is about the speed of dial up, for the price you should be able to do more with it.