Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 52 ft.
Pine Camp - Sand Ridge State Forest is located in Illinois
2 Reviews of Pine Camp - Sand Ridge State Forest
Pine Heaven!

This is a great campground mostly for tents though a few RVs were there too. Large sites in a pine forest with a thick bed of pine needles. Pit toilets and water are available. The orange trail (5 mile loop) starts at the campground making it easy to access the trail to check out the sandy forest and prickly pear cactus. I stayed on a Saturday night and there were less than a third of the sites in use though, frustratingly, most were reserved limiting our options though the people didn’t show up. Hiking in sand is challenging and you’ll get a work out! The campground was quiet and peaceful. About a 10 minute drive to a small town for supplies. Many, many miles of hiking so you can hike as much of as little as you like. Good trees for hammocks as well.

Ranger review of Banner and Oak Horizon hat at Pine Campground

Campground Review:

This is a hidden gem! We camped immersed in a pine forest. Can you smell that fragrance? This is a nice size campground that feels larger because so few are camping here this weekend.

Our site is up against the woods giving us a sense of being on our own. Vault toilets are clean and in a couple locations. We have two trees perfect for the hammock and yet enough sun to use the solar panels.

One odd point is that we couldn’t find a way to pay. During office hours, you pay at the ranger’s place just down the road. We arrived late but he came around the next morning to check in everyone. He pointed out the 2 water pumps that work and we had a nice chat.

The ranger directed us to hike the green trail. It touches on all the various ecosystems that are found here. It was a great hike and not that difficult at all. It just a short drive away. He also said to watch out for prickly pear as you roam the natural area.

Another camper has been alternating camping here with backpacking to more remote spots. It’s good to have options.

Backpacking, hiking, fishing, horses and hunting can all be done in this large nature area.

Product Review:

As a Dyrt Ranger I sometimes get products to evaluate. This trip I tested out the Horizon hat by Banner and Oak

The Freedom to Explore hat has material over the entire head (not mesh like many other hats of this type). This caught my eye since my lack of hair requires sun protection. I was perfectly happy with this hat. The material is soft and it adjusted to fit perfectly. It was a comfort to know my head was protected.

A side job I asked of it was swatting away all the spiderwebs. We were the first on the trail and they were everywhere! Banner and Oak to the rescue! Their hat slipped on and off easily as I quickly swung it into action.

(Side comment: the Banner and Oak carabiner was great at being a second attachment for my dog’s leash. She broke the metal on her last harness and it’s nice having some reassurance)

I’m recommending this Banner and Oak hat! It works beautifully and carries a message to encourage everyone to find the courage to get outside.

Year 2021 Flag