The best WALK IN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Scarecorn Camping Reviews
One of my favorites

We tent camped at Amicolola in early May 2020…ir was cold one night but we built a great fire in the firepit which kept us warm.The camp sites are spacios gravel and fenced.I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the park and the amenities, the restrooms were very well kept and the park manager was gracious. They have a water fall and several trails leading dow to a well stocked pond. My grandson caughed dinner…yum. I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and plan to go back.

Wonderful Lake Lanier

This is a wonderful easy access multi sited campground. Boat ramps and lots of trees. Good beaches and lots of room in between sites.

Great views of Chattahoochee

Wonderful walks, good fishing most of the year. Can be heavily used at times.

5,664 acres

With that much room to move around in North Georgia there has to be something for everyone. Great clear cold water offers good trout grounds. Biking is a wonderful since a long stretch of hiking is fully paved. No day trailer parking. Dukes Creek is a destination for several fishing enthusiasts. There are cabins as well, some with hot tubs. There is a visitor center with educational programs, geocaching, picnicking. Once again this is very close to wonderful Bavarian town called Helen Georgia. You will love it.

Peaceful wonderland

This campground is easy to access off the I-75. With some shopping close if the case is needed. The grounds are clean and the beach accesses to the lake are very friendly. The security is adequate, many trials for hiking and the boating entrances are several. There are new cabins being built, with other vintage ones also available. A wonderful place to spend a few days to week at.

Historic park with great hiking and mountain biking trails

This is just under 2 hours from midtown Atlanta. The setting is lovely and I am sure it's a 'must see' during the leaf changing season as most of the forest is mature hardwoods. We had a pull through site overlooking the lake. The restroom facility closest to our site was closed but there was another facility a short walk away. It was a cold weekend so the heaters in the restroom buildings were very much appreciated.  About half the campsite was full so it was very quiet and relaxing. There were an abundance of birds in the area (for you bird watchers). We did the hike to the Fort and Fire Tower from a nearby parking area. It's a relatively easy 30 minute hike up.  There is a longer more challenging hike from the campsites but we were not up for that this trip. We had one dog with us, so I'd say this place is very dog friendly. Apparently there is a lot of black bear activity in the area but we did not see any this time. *Interesting fact: black bears do not hibernate like other more northernly bears so be informed and aware.  We will absolutely return to this wonderful park. Read more about the wonderful parks built during the 1930's and 1940's with the support of President Roosevelt and the "CCC" (Civilian Conservation Corp.) at:

Nice scenery but usually very busy.

This is a nice place to just come and stroll around for a bit. Parking is close to the street and paths go down to the lakeside. It is usually busy by people just driving thru but there are several places to pull in.

Parking is off of the main road and there is not a lot of room for oversized vehicles. The bathrooms were locked when we went so make sure you keep that in mind when coming here. There is not a convenience store for miles, the nearest is 20-30 mins drive away.

You can drive right over the dam, but you are not allowed to stop in the restricted area for security reasons. Fishing is also allowed in the area with permit and the have a seasonal swimming area with sand. You will get the Georgia red clay on your clothes if you go in the water.

Beautiful Campground

This is a beautiful campground. As others have mentioned, the roads to get to the sites are narrow and windy. We have a 21’ van and we didn’t have any issues, but I was very glad we got to our site during the daylight. I would not want to drive the roads after dark. We stayed in a primitive site (51) so we could have more privacy and better views. Site 51 does not disappoint! Keep in mind there are no hookups at this site, and anything longer than our van may have trouble backing into the site. This would be an amazing tent site! From a practical standpoint, you will need to buy a parking pass - even though I received an email telling me I could go directly to my site and check in by phone, they wouldn’t let me buy a pass on the phone so I had to head back out to the park store to buy a pass. Other than that, great park.

Separated, serene lots

First time renting a teardrop trailer and camping in it, lot was tricky for us to back into but we managed and the set up was great with a fire ring, picnic table, potable water and hook up. Also a great view. Nice and quiet site with bathrooms and showers nearby.

Has it all

RV/tent camping and cabin rentals. Campsites had wifi and pretty good tv signal. There's also a lodge/hotel on site with a restaurant, with gorgeous views overlooking the valley below. Camping sites are spaced well apart with electric, water and fire rings. The campgrounds also feature a bathhouse and laundry.

Begin your Appalachian Trail journey here with 604 steps to the top of a beautiful waterfall.