Yurts
About Fort Mountain State Park

Fort Mountain State Park is a place of legends. Literally! Home to an mysterious, ancient, rock wall at the peak of a mountain, Fort Mountain’s associated legends include the construction of a Welsh military fort, a honeymoon destination for native newlyweds, and a relation to “moon-eyed people” of Cherokee folklore. Whatever the truth may be, there is no denying that this park’s unique features have made it one of the major draws within the Chattahoochee National Forest.

Located just a short scenic drive off of Highway 52 near the Cohuatta Wilderness, the campground at Fort Mountain State Park hosts 70 campsites for tents and RVs. Campers can bring their paddles to take advantage of all 17 acres of Fort Mountain Lake, or take part in the local rental program for easier travels.

While there is no need to leave the park to find adventure, many campers take a short drive east to a historic site featuring the Chief Vann House. This well-preserved structure was the first Cherokee brick residence and is often referred to as the “showplace” of the Cherokee Nation. Continue your travels to the peak of Fort Mountain where you can take a tour of a stone fire tower built by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression. Enjoy panoramic views and marvel at the legendary beauty of Fort Mountain State Park.

Hike In
Fort Mountain State Park is located in Georgia
30 Reviews of Fort Mountain State Park
Awesome Campground on the water

This is an awesome campground on a large lake with fairly secluded sights. Cell phone service was pretty spotty which became an issue while trying to do some hiking. Their are a number of activities available including, hiking, biking, fishing and boating. This campground is extremely family friendly, almost too much for our liking as there were kids EVERYWHERE. There is a large beach area and an event center where they hold daily shows and classes. They even have a put-put course on sight. Bathrooms and facilities were well maintained, clean and plentiful. This is an extremely large campground! My biggest complaint would be the lack of markings on hiking trails. We had a hard time finding some of the trailheads even with the maps provided at the main office. I would like to make a trip back here during the week to avoid some of the crowds but outside of that this is an outstanding place to camp. Even with the weekend crowd we very much enjoyed ourselves!

Great views and lots to do.

Some of the sites have excellent lake views. Not too stacked. Nice beach with easy walk around the lake. Great for kids.

Fort Mountain State Park is a nice place to camp! The drive to the park is very scenic, with 180 degree Mountain views. The park has a small lake with a beach and swimming area, kayak and aqua bike rentals, fishing, mountain bike trails, hiking trails, a mini golf course, playground, and picnic areas throughout.

The campground has two main loops, lake side and creek side. Both are gated, so you will need a code to enter. We stayed in the lakeside loop on site 62. It was a very spacious site, plenty of shade, “waterfront” (none of the sites were exactly on the water, but paths through the woods to the water) There’s a trail around the lake too, I believe it was just under a mile long. Most of the sites in the lake loop were great, all wooded and most of them have a view of the water, you can’t go wrong with any of them.

There’s an area called “Squirrels nest” and I believe it was a tent area that looked really cool, I would like to stay here with a group! It is located in the lake loop. There’s some backcountry sites in the park also, I planned to hike to one to check it out, but the trails aren’t marked very well and I couldn’t find my way without driving to a trailhead so I didn’t see them. The hiking was disappointing to me, but I’m accustomed to Smoky Mountain hikes.

The creek side loop looked nice through the woods when I hiked by, but I didn’t actually go through the loop.

The restrooms were great, very clean, very spacious showers. Modern and well maintained.

There’s a store at the campground check in, it has ice, firewood and other essentials, plus some souvenirs and such. They gave me a trail map along with the campground map.

The day use area (beach, picnic, mini golf area) was SUPER crowded on Saturday, so be aware if you plan on using this area, might want to plan on staying mid week.

Nice wooded, level spots throughout the campground, great spot to camp.

Peace and Quite

Another great Georgia State Park that offers quiet opportunities for hiking, fishing and paddle boating. We made our reservations on-line a couple of weeks before our arrival, upon check in we were greeted by a friendly park staff that had our paperwork ready.

The park information and reservations can be made using the Reserve America App or web site.

We stayed at site 40 of Camping Area #2, the sites were well maintained and included water, electric, table and fire ring. We could receive very limited over the air TV and no cell service using Verizon as our carrier. We could also receive a weak WIFI signal at the park office parking lot. The bath houses were very clean and in great working order.

We had a great time here and will return, when planning a trip here bring what you will need as the nearest shopping is miles away in Chatsworth, GA.

Fort Mountain

Beautiful and interesting

Fovorite so far

This place was awesome!! Great family atmosphere, best scenic view in Georgia! Loved the ride up the mountain to get to the park.

Fresh air, Mountain View and quiet surroundings

The site was a pull through, mostly level and had views of the woods. I like my sites to be more private from other sites but it helped to have the woods on your sitting side.

The restroom was newly remodeled and kept clean.

The park has great opportunities for hiking and biking. It is close to Ellijay for junking, wineries and apple picking.

Beautiful mountain views!

We have tent camped here three times and can't wait to go back! The sites in campground 1 are spaced apart, large, shaded and close to bath house. We camped on sites 13 and 15 in campground 1 and on site 52 in campground 2, which I think is one of the best sites in #2. Make sure you hike up to the fire tower and the observation deck for great views! The trail around the lake is very nice and even good for younger kids. Wildlife is everywhere, we saw a large red headed woodpecker, deer, squirrels, and even bears!! We learned our lesson about putting up any food/coolers at night…we have the teeth marks in a cooler as a keepsake!

Rocky ruins of a mysterious wall

There is an ancient stone wall across the top of the mountain that no one is sure who built. Most credible theory is Native Americans around 500 AD, but there are other wired stories. Lots of hiking, a large lake for fishing, and bike and equestrian trails. We picked wild blueberries for breakfast just a few yards from our camp site. The campground is large, water and electric and some full hookups. There is a museum and small store.

Top of the Hill

If you love twisty roads and beautiful views This is the place. We went in December and the weather was a little cool and damp but the views were great when the fog lifted. They're great scenic hikes in the park. Bathrooms were clean with very hot water