Hartwell Lake, GEORGIA
Most Recent Hartwell Lake Camping Reviews
Tallulah Gorge is beautiful!

Tallulah Gorge is located in the far north east corner of Georgia. The campground is pretty tight, and difficult to maneuver with a large RV. The campground is managed by Georgia Power, and the Sites are right on top of each other. (To maximize revenue.) They do have water and electric and some with full hookups. There is a dump station and a small store for basic stuff. There are several nice hikes, including one along the bottom of the gorge that requires a free permit. They are limited, so secure one early if you want to hike there. The suspension bridge across the Gorge is a must, but there are a LOT of steps!

Cute, homey, close to many nice hikes.

This campground is very nice. Sites are close and it does feel a little tight, but overall it is a homey feel that doesn't really feel overcrowded. Some of the amenities are spread out and you may need to drive to them, but it's worth it for the great, well-cared-for feel. Super quick drive to Dupont or Jones Gap/Caesar's Head. We loved it!

Lovely, family-friendly

This campground is family friendly. You feel very safe walking around. I have visited in fall; you do need to drive to most hiking trails unless you want to add a good bit of a walk to your hike. Campsites are close but do not feel overcrowded.

Beautiful, good for beginner backpacking trips

This was my first backpacking trip without a guide. The trail was relatively short, but the hills were bigger than expected. However, the payoff at the trailside campground is incredible. The sites are out on a point on Lake Keowee. It doesn't feel truly wild (you can see houses and a golf course across the lake), but the sunsets and sunrises are beautiful. You can hear boats while you are there. We went in the fall, but in the warmer months the swimming opportunities would be great!

Tightly packed but beautiful

I've stayed in the regular drive-in spots as well as the walk-in spots at this campground. Most recently, I stayed in the walk-in tent spots with a large group. There was enough space that we did not feel that we were encroaching on other groups, though when I've stayed in the other spots it feels cramped. Walking to the bathroom from the walk-in spots is a long walk and parking is limited. It is very cute, old-fashioned, and family-friendly.

Campground

We went with friends 10 years ago when they had a pop up camper. It was a lot of fun. Met lots of people and I got hit in the eye ball with a football because I was having a lot of fun. Had a bbq grill to grill burgers steaks whatever you want to grill. You can fish there too. I love the experience I would go back. It’s far from me now.

Beautiful state park, cramped campground

Tallulah Gorge is beautiful and often crowded, and the regular campsite is no exception. Next time, we’ll opt for a hike in backcountry spot for sure.

All the amenities and bells and whistles you need are available in the campsite but we found it cramped and loud. We knew everything our neighbors were doing and vice versa. There are good hikes from the campsite and the sites are in good shape. We had a nice time finding a dark spot to stargaze and did have room to hang our hammocks.

If you can’t get a gorge floor permit, our favorite hike is just 10 min down the road at Panther Creek Falls.

Beautiful Mountain campground

This campsite was awesome. We stayed at hike in tent site A and had a great time. The view was beautiful and the staff was very helpful. All the trails here are very nice too.

Sumter national forest is so beautiful

Such a beautiful place to camp, fish and hike! They have hike in campsite in the park as well as the trail and even secluded drive-in campsites. Only downfall is that it's becoming a little too popular with teens (and/or immature adults). We've been there on a few occasions where there's been an issue of loud noises, illegal hunting, and bags of trash being left behind. please take care of our parks!

Falls creek trail hike

We did a short day hike to check out the camp sites and look at the waterfalls. We went on the weekend and was pretty late start so we did have to wait a good while to be let in the park - minor annoyance but it was OK. The trails and the park are so very well kept up! Was a beautiful day and hike. We are definitely coming back and looking into getting the year pass since it's so close to home.

August 2018 - OK park but Fire Ant infestation

It's a really great park. We stayed in the rustic tent site T8, and was quite surprised it had a water spicket (faucet) for easy water access. (Something we may have overlooked as a site feature, as it was our first visit). Our only complaint was the entire campsite was one large fire ant hill! We had to travel to the local dollar general to get ant spray to help with the infestation. We only camp rustic so we're used to bugs but this was insane. Every step we took or every place we sat would soon be swarmed with ants as that's what fire ants do. Once we sprayed the area we were finally able to safely enjoy our campsite. The view was wonderful! Besides the ants it was a fantastic campsite! (BTW I would not recommend hammock camping here as the ants were also on a lot of trees, ropes we had were covered when we took them down) Will provide photos I took off all the rustic sites: T3 - T8

One of my favorite trails in Georgia

Panther Creek was honestly my trip into the world of hiking and backpacking (aside from my military experience). But mice wife got me into hiking again and now we are backpacking a lot! Panther Creek has become probably my favorite place for a great weekend. The hike in campsites are plentiful and most already have fire rings. The trail is well maintained and always clean. Lots of great views here! The falls are a great spot to string up a hammock and just enjoy nature to the fullest. This place is pet friendly and you will see a lot of friendly pups on the trail. At the trailhead you do have s bathroom for those that don’t plan to stay overnight or just want the convenience. Overall Panther Creek is a must see must hike!

Coneross State Park

Hubby and I spent a weekend October 2018 at this beautiful place. Our campsite was right by the water and very spacious. The site has electric and water hookups. Bring your boat, you can pull right up to your campsite. There is a nice beach area for swimming and playground for the kids. The campground doesn’t offer much in way of amenities, but you’ll forget about that once you set up camp and relax by the campfire, roasting a s’more while watching the sun set over the lake.

Beautiful sites, right on the lake

This is a beautiful park. All of Georgia’s state parks are nice, this is one of the nicest. Most sites are right on the lake. It’s very popular in summer and reservations are necessary. When we were there there was a heated dispute between two families over who had reserved a site! Great swimming and fishing! Full hookups, dump station!

Great sites!

We stayed on one of the platform sites for the trip, but walking around we found that nearly all of the sites look great!

The playground is big, but the kids MOST enjoyed the “rock slide” in the creek. We spent most of the day there, and the weather (late August) was perfect!

Staff and camp hosts were very helpful (and we were able to buy wood and ice from the host when we arrived late). Restrooms were a bit of a walk and I saw them being maintained regularly.

Quiet and clean

The kids and I stayed here for a weekend (mid March) to try out our new camper. We got a waterfront site and it was gorgeous! Not as big as some places we have been, but large enough. Some of the non-waterfront sites appeared to be MUCH smaller.

The restrooms in our area were spotless and cleaned multiple times per day. My son said the ones near the beach area had a few spider webs, but considering it wasn’t even remotely warm yet, they probably weren’t being maintained as often as the campground ones just yet.

Staff was friendly and helpful, fishing was so-so (from the back of our campsite, anyway, and probably moreso due to our lack of skill than actual fish quantity). They have recently repaved the roads and it was very easy to get around. There are two playgrounds: a larger one by the beach and a smaller one in the campground area (which also has a huge field).

Our spot was level left to right but had a slight slope front to back.

Can’t beat it for the price

$10 bucks a night, sites spaced far enough apart to be comfortable, waterfront, not over crowded. I think it is worth the drive over some of the more crowded places. Each site has a pick nick table and fire ring, a few had charcoal grills on stands but not all. First come first serve, bring exact money because it’s just a drop box. It’s primitive camping so bring your own water, no electricity. No trash dumpster either so be prepared to pack if out . Cell service was spotty on Verizon but I was able to get and receive calls and a few txts although they seemed very delayed .

September Camper

I've been here twice and enjoyed both my stays. The bathrooms are clean. The sites are clean. The hosts are very friendly. It's quiet during the week. On the weekends it can be a little noisy but not a bad noisy. Mainly kids squealing laughing and just being kids. I would definitely recommend camping here.

Beautiful Trails and Falls, Barebones Campgrounds

My girlfriend and I camped at Gorges State Park for a few days in October of 2017. The trails are excellent and they were in great condition when we visited. The waterfalls are beautiful and it isn't a very strenuous hike to Rainbow Falls.

Camping seems to be hit or miss. The campsites aren't bad, but during our stay the privy pit was nearly unusable, so we dug our own. The access road to the campsite trail was closed as well, so the hike to the campsite from the parking lot felt closer to 3 miles. Given the lack of amenities and the distance to the Raymond Fisher campgrounds, I'd advise that you snag one of the primitive backcountry sites instead. They are situated along the main trail to Rainbow Falls, and almost every backcountry site was in a nice spot with easy access to the stream. Be aware that many of these backcountry sites are directly adjacent to the trail, and hikers will probably pass by your campsite.

If you are camping, expect bears. I don't know if this is still an issue, but we had a bear messing with our stuff every night. It didn't exactly bother us, but we did have to hang our trash and food far from the campsite while we slept. It made us a little nervous because we were the only campers there and you are miles from your car, but it didn't come close enough to our tent to really frighten us.

That being said, we had an incredible time and would definitely return. Despite being in a state park campground it still felt very secluded, and we felt that all the set backs made it more of an adventure.

Beautiful hidden Gem

This campground is very beautiful and peaceful. It has trails, a little beach to swim, and a wonderful playground. The bathrooms were beautiful. Lots of waterfalls nearby to explore and a beautiful winery nearby. Our family loves this park. The park ranger is very helpful and kind. A must visit.

Wonderful Campground

This is a very beautiful campground. Sites are very well kept and clean. Bathrooms were very clean and nice. The staff was amazing and helpful. Prime location to so many amazing places. The pool was nice and clean! Will def. camp here again.

Family trip...

Really enjoyed camping here with my family. Took our 19, 11, and 4 year old. Tested the trails and enjoyed plenty of scenic views. Will definitely be going back.

Great

Good and spacious. Depending of what sites you choose some have water and electricity.. there is a store that sells wood and a diversity of items in case you forgot something (opens until 8). Good trails and views! Well marked so you don’t get lost.

Scout camp ground

We have camped here once so I have not seen the whole park. Be the group Primitive area is great on the left side of the area. The right side has been over used and the ground has washed and the only place to Pitch a tent is on camping pads that are on the small size for a large groups. But all in all the park is well Kept and Bathhouse well Maintain. The park is Very beautiful. Great for large groups.

Clean, friendly and quiet.

Great hiking trails. Beautiful covered bridge.

Fun Little Trail

This trail was lots of fun! My friend and I decided to go here on a whim and it didn’t disappoint. There are lots of features to this camp and the surrounding trails such as waterfalls, rock outcroppings, cable crossings, and access to Caesar’s Head trails. My favorite thing about the boy/Girl Scout campsites was that it was along a river and was very large. It would be a great campsite for those who have a big group or just like the space. The only thing I didn’t like about the campsites was that it was visible from the trail so offered little privacy from hikers or fellow campers. My word of advice is to not take dogs that can’t swim across the river; we saw a few couples who struggled to carry their pooches across the cable.

Love!!!

I absolutely loved these primitive campsites and was so bummed when they started to tear them down to make cabins. The campsites are very secluded and right on the lake. The bathrooms are within walking distance and there are also playgrounds, a sand volleyball court, and picnic tables. Make sure to book a few weeks ahead of time if you are camping on a holiday!

So Diverse

This place is so beautiful and offers a variety of things to do. My family and I come here all the time to fish in the rivers. They also have a lot of nearby hiking/biking trails for all skill levels. I would give it 10 stars if I could!

Worth it just for the view

I live roughly 10 minutes from Table Rock and go there all the time especially during the summer. The Table Rock trail is a must if you are nearby! It is pretty strenuous especially if you have health issues but is well worth the trek to the top. Just make sure that if you hike during the winter to give yourself plenty of time to finish the trail and to wear good trail shoes since ice can be expected. The campsites are always very well kept; as is the park in general but gets pretty crowded.

Backwoods camping and nice trails

Paris mountain is a personal favorite of mine and take any chance to go. This is a great dog friendly park with clean trails, plenty of parking, and friendly staff. Now is the time to go as it is less crowded and and the leaves are changing color.