the dyrt
Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests, GEORGIA
Most Recent Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests Camping Reviews
Great Campground

Very nice wooded campground on Lake Lanier, very spacious sites, many on the lake. Water and electric with a dump station. Dump station very easy to get into. Nice playground for the kids, Over the air TV worked great. Only reason for the 4 stars is our site was not level, took some work to level our rig. Also our site needed a little TLC. I did notice them updating sites. Defiantly worth a stay

Wonderfully forested and friendly campground

I stayed at this campground in 2013 (3 days) and I have scheduled to go there again for a week in May 2019.This is a KOA and even though I normally am not a fan of KOAs this place is very different. It is small and heavily treed so the campground does NOT look like a parking lot. There seemed to be amble space between sites. There is an awesome gold-bearing creek alongside the camp which is too cool. The place is pet friendly, the owner is awesome, the price is reasonable. There is an acre field for dogs to be off leash and run, you can tube in the creek, they have nice cabins. The bathhouse was older when I was there but from what I understand it has been remodeled in recent years….but I don't go camping to explore the bathrooms so I don't really care about them. This is a great family site and it is fairly quiet, so if you are like me and you camp to GET AWAY from noise and drama, then this is the place!!

One of my favorites

My wife and I hiked part of the Appalachian Trail in March 2018. The last 3 days of our 14 day trip we camped here just to get couple nights at a regular camp site. I really like this place. Next time we might stay at the squirrels nest.

Great Family campground.

A family owned and operated, 11 acre full service, pet friendly camping facility. We are conveniently located just 20 minutes outside the historic town of Murphy North Carolina, at an elevation of 1850 feet, surrounded by mountains! Closer to the natural beauty the area is known for. We are nestled in the center of a peaceful valley with a 360 degree view of the mountains that surround us. The campsites border the many bubbling streams that pass through our valley.

A Full Service Campground, we have 2 separate bath houses with private individual bathing facilities, 3 Bunkhouses as well as Primitive sites.  We have a large pavilion for your group meetings, family reunions, fully lighted with electricity available.

Only RV

No tents just for RV

Beautiful hidden Gem

This campground is very beautiful and peaceful. It has trails, a little beach to swim, and a wonderful playground. The bathrooms were beautiful. Lots of waterfalls nearby to explore and a beautiful winery nearby. Our family loves this park. The park ranger is very helpful and kind. A must visit.

Ocoee Outdoors Rafter Campground

If you float the Upper, Middle or Lower with Ocoee Outdoors ask if you can stay on a tent site or in a lean to. The campground was the former bunk house for the season raft guides until “that guy” ruined it for everyone. Now it’s selectively available for clients upon request and has a full bath house on site. You may end up having the place to yourself which can be a plus.

Hiwassee Outfitters

Excellent sites, small outfitter store with food, drink, sundries. Breakfast & Lunch Diner. Multiple Float Rental types including sit in, sit on and inflatable kayaks. Shuttle to top for put in and take out at camp ground on the river. Clean bath house and hot showers. This is a popular location for the regional university students so expect a bit of a hootenanny to surround and welcome you. If you’re not down with everyone having a good time, choose the Forest Service Primitive sites just up the road a piece

Large full-hookup RV sites with a few tent sites and several rental cabins.

This is the most well kept campground you will ever find! Very friendly and helpful staff will bend over backwards to help with any issue you may have. Store, game room, playground, mini golf, pool, basketball court, fishing, shuffleboard, and large event building. Something for everyone to enjoy!

Top of the Hill

If you love twisty roads and beautiful views This is the place. We went in December and the weather was a little cool and damp but the views were great when the fog lifted. They're great scenic hikes in the park. Bathrooms were clean with very hot water

Family trip...

Really enjoyed camping here with my family. Took our 19, 11, and 4 year old. Tested the trails and enjoyed plenty of scenic views. Will definitely be going back.

In the north Georgia Mountains, land of Many Falls

Unicoi State Park is a large Park in north Georgia. The Park has a Lake, rope courses, a restaurant, lounge and beautiful Lodge. It's 2 miles from Helen Georgia, an Alpine gem nestled in the mountains.

Hiking trails of all levels abound including many with falls destinations.

We camped at Riverbend Campground November 19 – 24, 2018 on site C-17. Our site was next to the roadway but this wasn’t a problem because there was very little traffic. We did not have sewer on our site but every other day the staff would come by on a tractor to pump the sewer from RV. The park had gravel roads, gravel sites, picnic tables, fire ring, 20/30/50amp, cable and water; most sites had sewer. There are around 40 sites backed up to river bank (nice), a small store, firewood, a pavilion, pool, laundry room and clean bathrooms. The park is well maintain and the personnel were nice.

This was our first time and we found it to be very relaxing. We stayed through Thanksgiving and the park had a Thanksgiving dinner gathering for the whole park. The park supplied the meat and the campers supplied two sides. This was a big gathering; I guess about 225 people. Standing in line was enjoyable because it gave us a chance to talk with other campers that we did not know.

I only gave it a 4 rating because of gravel sites and road. We will be going back and I encourage others to go.

Wild life

Great camp although we had the pioneer site which is a walk in. And it wasn't posted anywhere. Tough showing up at 9 at night without a view or a way into camp. But besides a walk up a hill it was a great get away. Bobcats, bears, and all kinds of wild life

Great

Good and spacious. Depending of what sites you choose some have water and electricity.. there is a store that sells wood and a diversity of items in case you forgot something (opens until 8). Good trails and views! Well marked so you don’t get lost.

Scout camp ground

We have camped here once so I have not seen the whole park. Be the group Primitive area is great on the left side of the area. The right side has been over used and the ground has washed and the only place to Pitch a tent is on camping pads that are on the small size for a large groups. But all in all the park is well Kept and Bathhouse well Maintain. The park is Very beautiful. Great for large groups.

RV site in a fun area

First off this is really just a campground for RVs and you wouldn’t want to drive in and stay in a tent here. However, for that purpose it is a nice site and located in a great area. Right along the Cullasaja rive you have easy access to swimming and boating or you can drive a mile or two up the road and get to some amazing swimming holes with cliff jumping and natural water slides. The area is really beautiful year round though best in the summer when you can cool off from the hot days by getting in the water. The campground itself has many of the amenities you would want while RV camping such as full hook up and picnic benches for hanging out at. They also promote a family friendly environment that seemed to be very welcoming. Overall, their location right along the river and only a few minutes downstream of the amazing swimming makes this a place well worth checking out.

Recent visit update

Update: Im adding some new photos from a recent visit up to the campground. Since last time I was there the area experienced some pretty terrible fires and some of the trees surrounding the bald have burned down. Just reminds you to be careful with fires in these types of wilderness areas where things can spread quickly. Otherwise site is still an amazing place to stay and the views are just as incredible!

Close to amazing climbing

I visited this area while on a day off from staffing a sleep away camp in the area. We spent the day doing sport climbing on some of the many amazing rocks in the park and then trekked up to the viewpoint to get a beautiful look at the nearby area. The park is really wonderful and has a whole lot of trails and different areas where you can either set up top rope or lead climbing routes. The campground itself is slightly down the road from where the hiking and climbing is but has amazing amenities and is really well taken care of. The tent sites are large and spaced out though not so private but great if you have a group staying at several different ones. They also have volleyball courts and other fields you can use if you are staying there.

Alongside the trail

After continuing on the trail heading east leaving from Wayah Bald you pass several large open fields which could work for setting up camp and eventually you get to this site which is a little more of an established campsite and is less exposed than the other options. It has a few flat areas that could be used to set up a tent and a small fire pit to keep you warm at night. Like most of the other backpacking sites in the area you wont find any amenities or organized setups but this is really what most people want while doing this kind of trip. There really isn’t any water available near this site so make sure to fill up earlier when you pass some of the smaller seasonal creeks running down the mountain. The trail around her does a lot of winding up and down hills so be prepared for a serious leg workout.

Beautiful site

I stayed at this site while backpacking the Bartram Trail so check out some of my other reviews along the route to get a better idea of how to plan a trip here. In terms of this specific campground it is a primitive backpacking site located along a creek that feeds into Nantahala lake so has easy access to water. When we stayed here we had already been hiking for two full days so I was happy to get the rest and cool my worn out feet off in the river. The area to set up a tent is a little rocky but it works ok if you have a pad and can set up before it gets dark. The views over the lake are well worth it though since you get a beautiful sunset.

Small site near Franklin

If you are planning on doing parts of the Bartram trail starting from Franklin and getting a late start on the trail this is a perfect secondary option for you. Its a little further than the one right near the trailhead and a little smaller but it works as an option if necessary. It is a decently large site and has access to water if you climb down a small hill. On top of that it has a nice little firepit and flat ground for setting up your tent. Make sure to trek up the trail to see the viewpoint from Williams pulpit and if your really feeling like a challenge you can get all the way to Wayah Bald. Just be aware that the trail can get overgrown in the summer time and then covered in leaves through the fall in winter but well worth it for the views.

Okay campground

I wasn't really a huge fan of this campground, but the hiking and outdoor nature was great. We saw tons of chipmunks around, they were definitely after our food both at our campsite and hiking. Wish I would have got some pictures of them! We also really enjoyed doing some bird watching and trying to figure out what birds were which. My grandpa brought his bird book, so we were able to look in there and find what birds we were seeing. The experience of doing it was worth it! There were definitely lots of different beautiful colored birds. Really enjoyed the hiking and nature walks. The paths were so beautiful, I couldn't help but take pictures of it all. Felt like we were the only ones on the paths, because they were bare and we hardly saw anyone. People used on of the trails for trail running, which looked like a ton of fun. We passed a few runners on our way up and back. The views from the top were amazing. The campground was a bit small and dirty. There was garbage everywhere it seemed, and the bathrooms were a mess. Not sure if people using the trails also use the bathrooms, BUT it was gross and smelly. Bring your own toilet paper would be my suggestion and plug your nose! We probably wouldn't come back and stay here again, but would come back to go hiking on the trails.!

It was so nice we stayed here 2 years in a row

This was a nice, clean and super relaxing place! Loved it!

alright

its a good place to stay for a few days a lot to see and beautiful views.

amazing!!

some of the greatest views in Georgia! this place is a great place to explore and sight see! surrounded by a small town its great to go and see what the town holds!

Tons of Camping

This is an amazing Nation Forest that covers a huge area and encompasses many campgrounds. Most of the places to camp here are backcountry sites. If you are planning a trip here make sure to do your research in advance since you can end up in pretty remote areas at times. Check for availability of water since it depends on the season. Also, I highly suggest picking a part of the forest to visit that has a view. There are some incredible lookout points that have campgrounds and firepits available. If you go in the summer it can get very hot and humid but the best time of year to hike here is in the Spring or Fall. The change in seasons makes for some incredibly beautiful backpacking.

Updating review with additional photos

Updating my previous review with new photos from a recent visit. Still an amazing site!

Additional Videos

Updating my previous review with additional photos from another trip through this site. Addendum for spring is that it can get overgrown so be prepared to watch closely for the trail markers.

Strenuous but absolutely worth it

The hike was a little more intense than I thought it would be. We took the shorter more direct trail and I definitely recommend taking that one, setting up camp, and then exploring more. Sunsets and sunrises over the lookout points were gorgeous and absolutely worth the trip.