About Tallulah Gorge State Park

Designated one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Georgia, Tallulah Gorge is a 2-mile-long, 1000-foot-deep canyon of metamorphic rock, where the Tallulah River tumbles over six dramatic waterfalls. This unique ecosystem is also the home to several endangered plant species, including the persistent trillium. These natural features have drawn visitors to the gorge since the early 1800s, and with the construction of the Tallulah Falls Railway in 1882, it became Georgia’s first official tourist attraction. Now the gorge is a hotspot for outdoor activity, ranging from hiking, fishing and swimming, to more adventurous pursuits, such as rock climbing and whitewater paddling.

The best way to explore Tallulah Gorge is to camp at Tallulah Gorge State Park. Located 100 miles northeast of Atlanta, this 2700-acre park provides 50 tent and RV sites (two are ADA-accessible) on the rim of the raging river gorge. The park also has one group site, and three hike-in backcountry sites. Campsites in the park are fairly compact and close together, so don’t expect a lot of seclusion. Campground amenities include flush toilets, showers, laundry facilities and a dump station. There are also two playgrounds for the kids, picnic areas, an interpretive center, and access to a sandy beach on Tallulah Falls Lake.

The main draw to Tallulah Gorge is hiking down to Sliding Rock at the bottom of the gorge. The park only issues 100 permits per day for this hike in order to minimize impact and maintain the canyon’s natural character. These permits are given on a first-come, first-serve basis, and cannot be reserved in advance—so get yours early! Without a permit, there are many more trails to hike along the rim of the gorge, with each offering stunning viewpoints. Don’t miss the suspension bridge on the Hurricane Falls Trail, which provides a spectacular river view from 80 feet directly above the churning waterfall.

FUN FACT: Tallulah Gorge was used as a filming location for Marvel’s Infinity War. Eagle-eyed fans may recognize Hurricane Falls in the final battle in Wakanda.

Tallulah Gorge State Park is located in Georgia
36 Reviews of Tallulah Gorge State Park
Just beautiful!

We walked all around the gorge I'm the middle of winter with only a couple people in the campground! It was great! Spot was a pull through which made it nice and easy!

Loooove the falls

The bridge is great for pictures ☀️

Clean and convenient

We enjoyed our time at Tallulah State Park. The gorge and trails were incredible. The campground is conveniently located right next to the entrance to the visitors center. We decided last minute to get a campsite and it was no problem. We went to the visitors center to pay for the night. The campsites are equipped with a picnic table and fire ring. There was plenty of room for our van. We would gladly return.

Tallulah Gorge is beautiful!

Tallulah Gorge is located in the far north east corner of Georgia. The campground is pretty tight, and difficult to maneuver with a large RV. The campground is managed by Georgia Power, and the Sites are right on top of each other. (To maximize revenue.) They do have water and electric and some with full hookups. There is a dump station and a small store for basic stuff. There are several nice hikes, including one along the bottom of the gorge that requires a free permit. They are limited, so secure one early if you want to hike there. The suspension bridge across the Gorge is a must, but there are a LOT of steps!

Beautiful state park, cramped campground

Tallulah Gorge is beautiful and often crowded, and the regular campsite is no exception. Next time, we’ll opt for a hike in backcountry spot for sure.

All the amenities and bells and whistles you need are available in the campsite but we found it cramped and loud. We knew everything our neighbors were doing and vice versa. There are good hikes from the campsite and the sites are in good shape. We had a nice time finding a dark spot to stargaze and did have room to hang our hammocks.

If you can’t get a gorge floor permit, our favorite hike is just 10 min down the road at Panther Creek Falls.

Family trip...

Really enjoyed camping here with my family. Took our 19, 11, and 4 year old. Tested the trails and enjoyed plenty of scenic views. Will definitely be going back.

beautiful

this campground was really nice, had water and power hook ups as well as some sites had sewer hookups.

the hiking at this park is was really set it apart though the gorge hike was absolutely beautiful and very much worth the stairs going down and back up.

Great weekday spot

When traveling to Georgia by far one of the most impressive sites to see is the Tallulah Gorge State Park. When I was traveling around it was at the tip of every native Georgian’s tongue so naturally I had to check it out.  When I arrived off the highway I first came upon my campsite before reaching the Visitor Center.  I stopped into the camp office and on the weekday I was there, plenty of sites were available.

I elected to snag an improved site so I could have power for my laptop while at the campground and followed the one way directions to the campsite which was nestled mid campground.  Though I was not in an RV they positioned me in a small pull thru site which was even and had a great pad base for my tent jus off the gravel improved area where my picnic table and fire ring were placed. I had plenty of room to park and maneuver.

The campground was pretty centralized to all the action at the facility with trails leading to the visitor center, a beach, tennis courts and trails.

The big draw to this park of course is the falls, and seeing many falls before I was thinking it would be like many of those, however what I wasn’t expecting was how different the cascading falls would be as they stretched down the gorge and could be so uniquely viewed through various vantage points including the most impressive, a suspension bridge.

Getting to that suspension bridge was the easy part, down lots of stairs, but the return had people sitting and taking breaks or air and stopping at water stations. But oh what a view!!! This trail to the bridge was easily accessed from camp which made for on of the best features in my opinion of the entire camp!!

Tips:

• Stop in the visitor center to see the video which explains the Gorge in more detail, you will find some really interesting facts and feats which will blow your mind.
  • Take in Goat on the roof, just a short distance down the road as a touristy stop must see!!
Small sites BIG VIEW

I gave this place a 4 because the campsites are so close together and arent really the best as far as views go.. however, the area itself is nice. The Gorge floor was too wet to get to but we did see some of the falls and took the dogs on a 12 mile hike. The next day we went up towards Black Rock and soaked up as much lush countryside as we could.

Great place for steep hiking

The campground has all the necessities but is pretty much just a campground. The hiking is fun but intense. Be prepared for lots of stairs, a bridge over the water, and rock hopping across the water.