the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In
Tallulah Gorge State Park is located in Georgia
31 Reviews of Tallulah Gorge State Park
Family trip...

Really enjoyed camping here with my family. Took our 19, 11, and 4 year old. Tested the trails and enjoyed plenty of scenic views. Will definitely be going back.

beautiful

this campground was really nice, had water and power hook ups as well as some sites had sewer hookups.

the hiking at this park is was really set it apart though the gorge hike was absolutely beautiful and very much worth the stairs going down and back up.

Great weekday spot

When traveling to Georgia by far one of the most impressive sites to see is the Tallulah Gorge State Park. When I was traveling around it was at the tip of every native Georgian’s tongue so naturally I had to check it out.  When I arrived off the highway I first came upon my campsite before reaching the Visitor Center.  I stopped into the camp office and on the weekday I was there, plenty of sites were available.

I elected to snag an improved site so I could have power for my laptop while at the campground and followed the one way directions to the campsite which was nestled mid campground.  Though I was not in an RV they positioned me in a small pull thru site which was even and had a great pad base for my tent jus off the gravel improved area where my picnic table and fire ring were placed. I had plenty of room to park and maneuver.

The campground was pretty centralized to all the action at the facility with trails leading to the visitor center, a beach, tennis courts and trails.

The big draw to this park of course is the falls, and seeing many falls before I was thinking it would be like many of those, however what I wasn’t expecting was how different the cascading falls would be as they stretched down the gorge and could be so uniquely viewed through various vantage points including the most impressive, a suspension bridge.

Getting to that suspension bridge was the easy part, down lots of stairs, but the return had people sitting and taking breaks or air and stopping at water stations. But oh what a view!!! This trail to the bridge was easily accessed from camp which made for on of the best features in my opinion of the entire camp!!

Tips:

• Stop in the visitor center to see the video which explains the Gorge in more detail, you will find some really interesting facts and feats which will blow your mind.
  • Take in Goat on the roof, just a short distance down the road as a touristy stop must see!!
Small sites BIG VIEW

I gave this place a 4 because the campsites are so close together and arent really the best as far as views go.. however, the area itself is nice. The Gorge floor was too wet to get to but we did see some of the falls and took the dogs on a 12 mile hike. The next day we went up towards Black Rock and soaked up as much lush countryside as we could.

Great place for steep hiking

The campground has all the necessities but is pretty much just a campground. The hiking is fun but intense. Be prepared for lots of stairs, a bridge over the water, and rock hopping across the water.

Campground Rules

Lots of hiking nearby was the biggest perk I saw here. Definitely enjoyed the hike to Panther Creek. We were hoping to hike into the gorge but we were staying the weekend of a water release day so they close it. At the campsite there isn’t a campground store, the wood was purchased from the ranger window. The campground host were not the friendliest or most helpful, the kids park was in direct sunlight and we were left a note about rules of the campground. I did enjoy the shade on the site itself but we were limited for parking as we had two trucks at the site and two tents.

Campground by the lake

This campground is located on the other side of the road from the Gorge near the lake so you can enjoy family friendly lake camping and hike the rim of the gorge during the day. Stairs go down into the Gorge and there are some accessible water falls depending on the time of year, including a sliding rock waterfall. The visitor's center is great with lots to see and movies on the history of the park.

Hands Down Favorite State Park

This is honestly my favorite state park! There is plentiful hiking trails, a swimming hole (if the dam isn’t opened), a swinging bridge, I believe even repelling opportunities, but you have to have a permit. If you have little ones, they have an education center that gives information about the park and wildlife. We went camping here in the fall and it was absolutely magical.

Very clean, friendly and helpful host and ranger

We camped out with a tent in campsite #10. Sites are leveled gravel and you are not allowed to set up your tent in the softer forest patches between sites. There was also a picnic table and a deep fire pit. The campground is located near a busier road so we definitely could hear late-night traffic going by but we still had a peaceful time with clear skies for star viewing.

The bathrooms were very clean and we didn't have any issues hearing other campers even though the sites are fairly close together. There was a water pump at each site, and we used the electric hookup to charge up our phones.

The overlook views from the gorge were amazing! Unfortunately due to the recent heavy rain we were unable to check out the Sliding Rock but we had a great recommendation from the park ranger for a nearby waterfall/swimming hole hike (Panther Creek). The camp host was also very friendly and answered our questions about the area.

Little Piece of Heaven

Stunning views along the gorge hike. Be prepared for 700 stairs, but it is so worth the effort.

Campground is well kept and the facilities are very clean. The camp host (who we did not meet) made rounds often.

Easy to get to and it is very near Clayton, GA which we recommend visiting. It is an eclectic town with great shopping and eateries.