J. Strom Thurmond Lake, GEORGIA
Camping Georgia J. Strom Thurmond Lake
Most Recent J. Strom Thurmond Lake Camping Reviews
Ranger Review: éclipse Equinox Hoodie Cover Up at Baker Creek SP Campground

Campground Review:

Baker Creek is a seasonal campground, and is the place to go if you love the water and love to spend your days floating lazily in the South Carolina Midlands.  At night, if it's not cloudy, you'll get to gaze at the constellations in the gorgeous night sky.

The sites are close together, which we certainly noticed during the July 4th holiday, but at times when it's not so crowded, I'm not sure it would matter. We snagged the best sites in terms of privacy (88-96), which are on the water and have no sites across the road from them. We had to switch our site (91) with a friend (89) because we were hammock camping and sites 90-93 don't have many trees. As such, those sites also get hit by sun most of the day, although they have gorgeous views of the water.

The majority of the campers during the July 4th weekend were in RVs, and we noticed there is less consideration towards tent campers with regards to noise and light. I guess the RVers think everyone is inside their campers and therefore can't hear them driving their car at 3 A.M., starting their boats at 5 A.M., or leaving a bright security light on all night.

There are many swimming areas around the campsites, and they are shallow enough near-shore that kids can spend, literally, the entire day playing in the water. Bring inflatables, kayaks, boats, and canoes!

An odd thing about the sites is that there are charcoal grills, but no fire rings! Many makeshift fire rings have been constructed using the large granite rocks that can be found in the lake, though.

The bathroom, while old, is kept clean by the camp hosts who stay there the entire season. Hand soap is provided but no hot air or paper towels are there to dry hands.

The trash dumpsters are a fair distance away (you'll need to drive if you have a bag of trash) and no recycling facilities are provided.

I've read online reviews that mention how old and run down Baker Creek is. I disagree. It's a beautiful SC State Park on a gorgeous lake. If your tastes run more upscale, Hickory Knob State Resort Park is right across the water and might suit you better.

-------------------------------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - today I am testing the éclipse Equinox Hoodie Cover Up https://eclipseglove.com/collections/frontpage/products/equinox-hoodie-beach-cover-up

The éclipse line of products spoke to me because I love to be in the sun all day, and I'm great about applying the first round of sunscreen, but after swimming and chillaxing, I get too lazy to put on more. I don't want to get out of the sun, but I just know I'm burning, especially on my chest and shoulders. Usually, I'll put on a big, long-sleeved shirt to try to hide from the rays.

éclipse makes cover ups with a special type of fabric that increases evaporative cooling and is also UPF 50+. But the sides of the shirt and undersides of the arms are open, allowing airflow where the sun isn't hitting. There is a front pocket and inside that is a cell phone pocket, which is a perfect size for making sure it doesn't slide out.

I found it was also a good shirt to wear in the hot summer evenings while camping, because it provides mosquito protection without being stifling.

I got compliments and questions about it when I wore it to Baker Creek. The neck is high to keep the sun off delicate neck skin, but that makes it not as fashionable.  Another option that might look more flowy and cute is the Aurora Shawl

My husband took the éclipse Adjustable Neck Gaiter

on his day-long canoeing trip and it blocks the skin that a shirt doesn't normally cover while still cooling the neck. It's versatile, and can be worn in many different ways

The éclipse products are easy to clean and will be a staple in our beach/boat bag from now on!

Lack of privacy and more

Several things turn me off of this campground. First, the campsites offer absolutely no privacy or separation. Second, we paid for a premium site, however, our site (#65) flooded and became clay-muddy when it rained. It was also difficult to find due to poor labeling. Third, many of the sites did t take advantage of the view of the lake by having the hookups on the “wrong” side of the site.

Lakeside

Small campground. The sites are all dirt, very few are level. The are pretty close together. In need of maintenance.

Secluded

Great get away for nothing but quietness. No internet, no nothing. Just a peaceful lake escaping reality. Almost every campsite is on the lake but 3 spots.

Site 29 Very Nice!

Water access wasn’t very good but the site was big and private! It’s quiet and well kept.

Great Family Campground!

This is a great family campground on a beautiful lake with most sites directly on the water. Our boys kayaked all weekend. Great beach area as well. One of our favorites!

Quiet and Beautiful

Some sites are challenging to back into but worth the effort. Large resort State Park with lots of activities and access to Strom Thurmond lake. Friendly and very helpful staff.

Spacious sites with great lake views

Had a very relaxing overnight stay here.  Would of stayed longer to enjoy even more of the area.  Highly recommend coming here for a night or a week.

No tent camping

No tent camping no fishing and no swimming. Why go?

Great amenities!

Calhoun Falls is one of 2 campgrounds on Lake Russell. There are over 80 campsites plus 14 tent sites which were all right on the lake. We were on tent site 8, and it looked like tent sites 0-5 had a little more privacy but a longer walk (The tent sites had a bathroom and an outdoor shower). We had a friendly little black snake that lived by our campsite but he didn’t bother us and we didn’t bother him 😊 Also, if you hear rustling around in the middle of the night, it’ll probably turn out to be an armadillo! The state park had a lot of amenities which were great for fishing-plenty of docks, boat ramps, a green-light fishing dock, a tackle loan program and even a fish cleaning area! We saw some nice sized bass by the green light dock. There were bathrooms and showers in almost every area, and a nice sandy beach swimming area. You have to drive or use a golf cart to get to other parts of the state park, otherwise it would be a very long walk. They do have 2 trails you can hike though. This was our first time camping at Calhoun Falls but we will definitely be coming back!

Beautiful lake!

We absolutely loved our large site, right on the lake.  #82 was amazing!  There were even a couple wooden benches down by the lake.  We had just enough beach area to sit on the bank while the boys played in the water.  The bath house was just down the hill from our spot and it was pretty central to all the sites.  The sunset views were breathtaking and we thoroughly enjoyed our long weekend here.

The perfect view

Lucked out with a great site for two nights of Spring Break. No easy way down to the water from site 49, but it sure was pretty. Photos and details on the link.

Very nice

Spacious campspots,beautiful lake

Lake Retreat

Most of the sites have water access. We stayed on 83 which was on a quiet cove. No view of the lake but easy canoe or kayak access. One bathhouse for our loop but never anyone in there and the campground was full. Our loop had larger sites than the main loop with the boat ramp. Most boats where docked right at the campsite. Very large park with many walking trails. Very nice camp hosts that maintained the sites very nicely. Take a walk to the walk in sites as you will see some beautiful views. I liked site 4 and then 2 of the walk ins. Both have a trail right to the beach. All walk in sites were nice. We took a drive to Thomson and did some antiquing in some quirky shops that were very friendly. We drove over to Winfield Campground which is a beautiful campground as well and is cheaper because it is an army corps of engineers campground. I would recommend either campground. The pictures are of our campsite (83) and then the ones we liked best. I have 73 as my #1 choice but we don’t have a motor boat (only canoe and kayak) and my husband thinks that site should go to someone with a motor boat. That leaves 82 as our first choice as we can still launch the canoe and kayak from that site. We have been told by everyone we have met for 3 years to go to Mistletoe and we were not disappointed.

Can’t beat it for the price

$10 bucks a night, sites spaced far enough apart to be comfortable, waterfront, not over crowded. I think it is worth the drive over some of the more crowded places. Each site has a pick nick table and fire ring, a few had charcoal grills on stands but not all. First come first serve, bring exact money because it’s just a drop box. It’s primitive camping so bring your own water, no electricity. No trash dumpster either so be prepared to pack if out . Cell service was spotty on Verizon but I was able to get and receive calls and a few txts although they seemed very delayed .

September Camper

I've been here twice and enjoyed both my stays. The bathrooms are clean. The sites are clean. The hosts are very friendly. It's quiet during the week. On the weekends it can be a little noisy but not a bad noisy. Mainly kids squealing laughing and just being kids. I would definitely recommend camping here.

Rolling Hills of History

Large, well maintained sites. We stayed on 17 and it was very private. We hiked from the campground to Lake Buncombe and also hiked from Sunset Drive trail to Lake Liberty and the office. Equestrian trails are closed to hiking during the weekend. Equestrian campground has a new stable and bathhouse and a campground that is under construction now. The old equestrian campground and stable are still there. The cabins on Federal Lake just reopened after getting new flooring. All of the rangers were friendly and helpful. We did the A. H. Stephens museum tour and that was very nicely done. We did a day trip to Greensboro and walked the shops and went to Oconee Brewery. Everyone was raving about Yesterday Cafe so on our next visit Lucy May have to stay back at the camper. We will definitely return in warmer weather for canoeing and a trip to Warrenton which is close by.

Great campground!

Nice roomy sites with plenty of space between. Picnic tables, grills and fire rings at each campsite. Bathrooms aren’t bad. Friendly caretakers. Pets allowed. Playground and beaches. Fish cleaning station. Boat ramp. Dump station.

Canoeing Getaway

It is a very small campground. Narrow winding dirt road to small campsites. Bathhouse in the center. Check out the site pictures on their website, they are accurate. We only have a 17 foot camper and it still felt small. We stayed on site 16 which was nice and quiet. Site 18 would have been easier to back in to with the same amount of privacy. We got there early and were able to go right to our site. There were only 4 other campers there and the hosts. The bathhouse was older and could have been cleaner but it was okay. Most importantly it was warm. Our first night it got down to 27 and the water at the hose bib froze but once the sun came up it was fine. Less than 30 minutes to downtown Aiken. We loved the town and it was very pet friendly. Hopelands Gardens was beautiful, free and pet friendly. Had some good beer at Aiken Brewing Company and enjoyed all the shops downtown. We did go into Augusta and that was another 30 minutes from downtown Aiken. We will definitely go back in the warmer months to see some steeplechase horse racing and training, canoe and kayak the Edisto River and go hiking in Hitchcock Woods. There are quite a few museums we did not get to that would be nice to visit as well. I would definitely go back.

Family campout

Awesome beach area, great playground for kids. Kayak & paddleboard rentals. Decent pricing for campsites

Spring campout

Very clean facility, awesome cope course

Great camp ground

This park has a great group camp sites. We have taken are cub scouts and Boy Scout troop here many times. The RV camp ground has too side a larger side which is newer and an older side. The older of the RV camp site is a little Tight but can 1 get a 40ft trailer in with no problem. The new side has Plenty of room for large RV. Bath houses are clean and well Maintain. Staff is great to work with. Bring your fishing rod Plenty of fishing. There is also a great swimming area and playgrounds.

Great place to take scouts and RV camp

I have been here two times. First time with scout troop and then RV camping. The group camping area is Huge and has its own picnic shelters and bath rooms . The Rv sites were clean and well Maintain. The park is beautiful and very large. You feel like you are in A secluded area not like some parks right up on top of each other. Staff is Amazing and very helpful. I definitely will be back.

Clean, friendly and quiet.

Great hiking trails. Beautiful covered bridge.

Would be better with more lake

Mistletoe State Park is just outside of Augusta, GA. It’s on Lake Strom Thurmond, which is good for fishing and boating. The campground was nice, with level sites, and clean showers and bathrooms. When we were there the lake was very low, so the water activity was limited. It is close enough to Augusta for dining and shopping if you need that.

Waterfront

Great lakeside camping. Very clean, very quiet.

Great views

Enjoyed our site. Camped next to relatives and had the perfect swimming area between us. Planned on fishing but never got around to it since we spent most of our time inthe water. Bathrooms were veryclean and staff at office very friendly.

Quiet spot and a simple campsite

Bussey Point is primarily for equestrians. The campsites have pre-installed horse hitches and plenty of room to move a horse trailer. The sites have a picnic table and a fire pit. The campground has a well for water and an open pit latrine. There's no power which is perfect for camping off grid away from all the trailers.

The campsites are right on the water and the view is beautiful. Over the weekend I was the only one here and the only person I spoke to was the volunteer Camp Ranger from the US Army Corps of Engineers.

There is a 12-mile horse trail that goes out on the peninsula and some pack-in or canoe-in campsites out on the peninsula.

Fee per night is on an honor system at $10. I have no complaints about this campsite only about the other campers that leave their trash behind.

I recommend this campground if you're looking to get away from all the people especially the crowds at the more popular campsites at the state parks, and if you're fine with more primitive camping that doesn't involve daily showers.

Best campground in South Carolina!

I love this campground!! A lot of the campgrounds I have been to can't accommodate my large tent and still leave space. This one can. The sites are large and flat. They are spaced enough apart for privacy and have tons of wooded area for hammocks and such. Most are lake front to beautiful Lake Russell. Campsite 21 had easy lakefront access for swimming or kayaks or even putting our paddleboat in. The campground also consists of a camp store, a basketball court, and a tennis court. A local company we deliver golf carts and water sports equipment right to your site for very reasonable prices. All the rv/tent sites are equipped with clean water and power. From sites 19-24 you can see both the sunrise and the sunset over the lake.

First time staying at Wildwood

We are Columbia County residents who have been camping for years, but this is the first time at Wildwood, which is a Columbia County Park. We stayed on site 15 across from the boat ramps. Nice swim area, one bath house, good price. Campsites on this loop have dirt road, sites are fairly level. Not quite as big and level as local USACOE campgrounds. Park has great boating access. Quiet cove area. Water, power (50&30 amp). Access road to campsites is about a mile long. Walking to other areas of the campground was a hike of several miles. Free WiFi available. Enjoyed our stay!