About Black Rock Mountain State Park

Situated at 3,640 feet, Black Rock Mountain State Park is Georgia’s highest park and is often home to much cooler weather than the rest of the state, offering relief for much of the year. RVers should check the weather in Clayton, GA before embarking up the steep, winding roads on icy days. With over 50 campsites and 10 cabins in Black Rock Mountain State Park, every kind of camper will find comfort.

Though the park is named for Black Rock Mountain, it is also home to four other peaks, topping out at over 3,000 ft each. Five different hiking trails can be found within the park, providing access to the diverse wilderness of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Hop on the newest trail, the Norma Campbell Cove Trail, or opt for something more traditional like the Eastern Continental Divide. No matter what you choose, the views are sure to impress.

Hike In
Black Rock Mountain State Park is located in Georgia
22 Reviews of Black Rock Mountain State Park
Beautifully Secluded

The highest state park in Georgia has two general camping sections with power and water (and free cable if you're so inclined to hook up to watch TV).

Some of the sites are small ish, and since this is literally on the top of a beautiful mountain, the sites are close in proximity to each other.

The standard State Park bathrooms and showers are available.

In the summer when there are leaves and green on all the trees, it's breathtaking with the views. Once the leaves fall off, it's a bit spooky (my interpretation) and can get windy without the leaves.

My favorite Georgia state park!

Beautiful Mountain campground

This campsite was awesome. We stayed at hike in tent site A and had a great time. The view was beautiful and the staff was very helpful. All the trails here are very nice too.

Great

Good and spacious. Depending of what sites you choose some have water and electricity.. there is a store that sells wood and a diversity of items in case you forgot something (opens until 8). Good trails and views! Well marked so you don’t get lost.

amazing!!

some of the greatest views in Georgia! this place is a great place to explore and sight see! surrounded by a small town its great to go and see what the town holds!

Strenuous but absolutely worth it

The hike was a little more intense than I thought it would be. We took the shorter more direct trail and I definitely recommend taking that one, setting up camp, and then exploring more. Sunsets and sunrises over the lookout points were gorgeous and absolutely worth the trip.

Hiking, fishing & Dillard, GA

Black Rock Mountain SP is Georgia’s highest elevation park. It’s located on the Eastern Continental Divide, in Rabun County, in The Blue Ridge Mountains. The road up into the park is very steep, narrow and winding, so large RVs could have trouble. There are 2 camp loops. The front one is on a hill, sites are small and tight. But, they are in a grove of rhododendrons, which is nice in spring. To get to the 2nd loop you drive along the side of the mountain. These sites are larger, and mostly level. There is a fishing lake, hiking and wildlife. And, there is the Dillard House!

Highest State Park in Georgia

This was an awesome campground experience, but it fills up quickly for spring break. We made reservations two months in advance, and when we arrived there are only 4 designated tent camping spots. We ending up pitching our tent in a RV spot. Fire wood is available for sale from the ranger, but you have to make sure of their hours. When we were there they are closed on Sundays.

Great Views, Great Staff, Great Hiking

I was driving through this area and found this on one of the many hiking apps I use. I went expecting hiking and found a campground to which I will be happy to return again! I pulled in and immediately was greeted at the campground by the host who was wonderful. We chatted about travel and places to go not just her in Georgia but also around the United States. He was well educated about the park and surroundings but also about travel trailers and such so the discussion was awesome.

From there I drove the campsite and checked it out finding a great place that was pretty even and secluded. I loved the facilities which were well shaded and very affordable. The bathrooms were very well maintained and as I was there I noticed the constant upkeep of staff at work trying to provide an even better experience.

The campground is located just beside the ADA-Hi trail which is a waterfall trail running down the side of a very steeply graded mountain. This trail isn't for the faint of heart if you don't like stairs. It is well maintained and even but does have about 15 flights of stairs which will get your heart pumping.

The visitor center and gift shop is only a short distance by walk or drive and there is a path directly to there if you want to again navigate the steep incline.

Keep in mind this is the highest peak in Georgia so everything is on an incline it seems.

Park admission to any Georgia park for day use is $5 and there are honor stations everywhere or a booth as you enter the main entrance. All in all well worth the price!!!

TIPS:

• Stop off in Clayton before coming up the hill there area a lot of great stores there for gathering supplies and also a lot of interesting historic stops in town.
  • Don't miss the lake trail when here. It is a bit removed from the campground and you will need to drive to get there or take one of the long hikes but it is beautiful especially on a slightly overcast day like the one I was there. Mountain lakes are amazing!!
Nice spot.

We had been to this state park a couple of times before, but not to camp. The view from the visitor center goes on for a while and is absolutely beautiful. There are plenty of trails to hike, and a waterfall as well. Which, as luck would have it, was not all that far from our campsite. The campsite was a good size, level and had a fire ring and picnic table. The bathhouse was decent. Ice and wood was available at the visitor center. If you check in after 5, the camp host might have some available for purchase. The host was very helpful and greeted us as we came in, and helped us get settled in. It was a very enjoyable stay with nice sites, people, and lots of nature to enjoy.

Nice flat tent spots

We camped here in a tent site with a 1 and 3 year old and the site was flat enough to contain the kids but pretty enough to enjoy for the adults. Good trails and bathrooms.