the dyrt
Acworth, GEORGIA
Most Recent Acworth Camping Reviews
Spring Break

Great place, enough to keep the kids busy!

Beautiful and quite.

This place is a great place for family reunions or birthday parties. They even do Easter egg hunts every year. Also, for those that are into Geocashing, there are a few you could find here. This place has some nice trails and plenty of pavilions for large groups. You can tent camp or bring your RV. They have access to the Chattahoochie River for kayaking and fishing as well. This is a beautiful and quite place to enjoy some time in the sun.

Basically a “little hole in the wall”

This place is small but has a lot to offer. They have RV hookups and putt putt golf. They offer cabin rentals and a lake “beach” for swimming and paddle boat rentals. I usually come here to grill out for family events and to do some fishing. Not a bad little place to visit.

So close to me and I love it.

Lived in Georgia my whole life and yet my first time to Stone Mountain was literally three years ago. Now we have an annual pass and go all the time. This place is world renowned for its fireworks and laser show but you have to go off the pavement to truly fall in love with Stone Mountain! This place is great for everyone. I mean everyone, from free runners to hikers and all you folk that like to “camp” in your RVs. Visit this place anytime of year and you will not be disappointed. Apparently it’s rated #1 as the best place to camp in Georgia. I’m more into the nature only kind of camping but that’s not everyone’s cup a tea. Stone Mountain has something for everyone.

Found this place by accident! It glad we did.

So my wife and I were trying to find a place we had previously been to and stumbled upon Sawnee by accident. We are adventurous so we decided to give it a try. We were amazed at everything this park has to offer. They literally have everything you could ask for. Swimming, fishing, and camping. I think they even have boat ramps. As for us we are avid hikers so we stuck to the trails. There are a few trails that interconnect so we hike for hours(which we loved). Although we did not camp we are definitely coming back to do so. Sawnee has over flirty camp sites to include some walk-in sites. I think there is a small fee to camp but it is worth it. We went in the middle of the week when it wasn’t crowded but I could see this place filling up on a weekend. Sawnee has places to grill along with picnic tables and water stations and restrooms. For those that love nature but want a touch of home they have water and electrical hookups available. It’s also pet friendly. I definitely want to come back and spend a weekend hiking and camping and fishing.

Breath taking. From the views to the hike back up! Lol

Cloudland is absolutely beautiful!! I used to come up to this area every summer growing up but never visited the park. I’m so glad my wife recommended we actually go to the park. I’ll be honest, the hike down to the falls wasn’t to bad. The hike back up was pretty difficult. Tons of stairs. But the trails down by the falls were nice and level and very scenic. When we went it was pretty dang cold but because we were down in the valley we didn’t get much wind.

I love that Cloudland is pet friendly as well. We can’t have a dog right now but we got to see many friendly pups on the trail. It’s also really nice that Cloudland has areas with vending machines because I always forget something. The hike in camp sights are nice. They have picnic tables, which is nice for us because we normally eat on the ground with the trails we do. Overall Cloudland was awesome and I will definitely be going back.

Convenient

Love the convenience to the festivities of Stone Mountain Park!

Peaceful and spacious sites

Friendly gentleman at check-in. Nice spacious sites with peaceful atmosphere. Will definitely stay there again in the future!

Waterfalls and hiking

Very clean with both day areas and multiple camping areas. Lots of rv sites and tent camping, along with walk in camp sites. Also have cabins and glamping!

Lots of trails, frezby golf and a fishing pond.

Great backcountry site

Enjoyed my first backcountry camping at this beautifully park! Great site and lots to do!

Spot On The Lake

This area is really clean! And for a family that camps alot that's a big deal. They have a range of camping options. They are either right on the water or about a 100yd walk away. Would recommend for anyone wanting a nice view of the lake

Historic Methodist Church Campground

This is a historic Methodist Church Campground that is not used except on special occasions.

Great Campground

Very nice wooded campground on Lake Lanier, very spacious sites, many on the lake. Water and electric with a dump station. Dump station very easy to get into. Nice playground for the kids, Over the air TV worked great. Only reason for the 4 stars is our site was not level, took some work to level our rig. Also our site needed a little TLC. I did notice them updating sites. Defiantly worth a stay

Wet Weekend

Visited in February and it was a wet sloppy weekend, LOVED IT ! Of course no water sports due to the weather. I saw some fishermen and I know they have paddle boats to rent. I also saw a handicap accessible fishing pavilion. At the campground I ended up with a pull through site . I love the set up of the campground. It is a winding, hilltop, one way road through the campground which adds to the privacy of the sites. There are double sites to pick from and a nice handicap site next to the showerhouse. At the far end there is a playground and one site right behind it. So be careful not to pick it if you don’t want to listen to the raucous noises of children. There are a couple of trails to pick from, two circle the lakes. One connects to the Pinhoute (don’t ask me to pronounce it)and there’s a trail to the Marble mine. The cabins don’t allow pets , they are nice structures with full amenities and decks. The pioneer structures would be cool for a group event. I did not hike to the primitive campsites. Rain, mud and mess aside we had a good time.

Great camp sites

The camp sites are big and really enjoyed the campground.

A.ways stay here

Great management. Close to town. Security is great. Everything you need for a camp ground.

Only RV

No tents just for RV

Backcountry #5

Our absolute favorite spot is #3 but we were very happy with #5! They went to an online specific reservation system now so no more guessing which spot you'll fight for. A long side trail off the main loop, you'll get some mountain views between the winter trees and climb up to what feels like the top of the mountain. Very private. There's a nice flat spot for the tent and plenty of running space for the pup to play fetch. The picnic table is right next to the fire pit which was nice and I was able to hang my hammock up on the other side! The only downside is your water source is down at the main loop so you'll want to get that on your way in or out.

There's a little trail that leads to the park border and private property I assume.

Great place

Great place

Nice

Well maintained

Site #15 on the hill is great.

It’s a small campground with very large camping sites and well placed through the area. All sites were really nice and most had separate area for an extra tent and trailer and eating area with fire pit and grill. Well maintained. We had woods directly across from us and no one around us. Bathroom facilities very clean, well kept with lots of light, heat and hot showers. Plenty of activities with hiking trails, 2 lakes for fishing, kayaking and paddle boats. Recommend the Marble Quarry hike. Falls were flowing great due to all the rain we had before. Trails around the lakes are nice and easy accessible. Loved the place and the people at the office were great and knowledgeable.

Top of the Hill

If you love twisty roads and beautiful views This is the place. We went in December and the weather was a little cool and damp but the views were great when the fog lifted. They're great scenic hikes in the park. Bathrooms were clean with very hot water

Great place, very scenic..

With great views of Stone Mountain, close to hiking and activities, and right on the lake, this campground is very nice. It has plenty of amenities and a friendly staff. Where it falls short is at some of the sites. The fire ring and grill at our site (410, loop O) were not placed well; we never used them. Grill was right by the road, and the ring was too far forward. Both items would be better placed at the back of the site. It was quite a walk to get to the restroom. But, the shower and restroom were always clean. They have a laundry as well; very convenient overall. We enjoyed our stay and will certainly be back.

nice quiet state park

nice new state park along the Chatahoochee River. walk in sites along the river are nice and quiet. 2 campground loops can get full on weekends in season but a pretty quiet place usually. they have just built cabins this year.

So much to do!!!

This is one of my favorite places we’ve stayed! We were atStone Mountain over Memorial Day, they do an amazing fireworks show over the lake, which is great for kayaking (no motorboats allowed!!!) Great for bike riding too. Bathhouses are nice. We were in our pop-up, and had plenty of space. Highly recommend!

Great hiking and camping near Atlanta

We visited this park a few weeks ago with friends and had an amazing time! The park is set up on the land of an old factory that used the river to power a water wheel. There are a whole bunch of trails of varying difficulty and length that meander through the woods along the river. Along with the campgrounds there are also picnic benches and large group areas where you can host a lunch or dinner. We took the trail that shows you where they built the mill then goes along the river for a while. It was a beautiful hike but definitely challenging since there are a lot of rocks you have to climb over. The campgrounds are nice and across the road from the park through you can also take other trails from there that go down and around the reservoir. The amenities are nice and the whole park is well taken care of. I would highly suggest staying the night since it is such a short trek from the Atlanta area.

RV Only site

Make sure to check out my video review below where I show you around some of the campground. This is much more of a mobile home or RV park than a campground since most of the people staying here are set up for long term residency rather than for a night or two. Additionally, it is right near downtown Atlanta so not exactly where I would want to spend the night if it wasn’t more of a home situation. If this is your purpose I would first check out the Atlanta West Campground down the street since it was significantly nicer in my opinion. This location seems mostly like a large parking lot where you can park and set up your site but there is not really any privacy or separation between different RVs. Only a couple miles away is Sweetwater State Park which is well worth a visit and has some wonderful hiking trails.

Great hiking near Atlanta

Bike Camping Site

Make sure to check out my video review first since it gives a good view of what is available at the site and a better overview of the different tent setups. I passed through this campground while biking the Silver Comet trail with my wife and some friends and checked it out as a potential overnight option. It is a primitive site with two gravel platforms set up for tents each with its own firepit. The sites are rustic but well cared for and perfect if you are bike packing the trail and need a free place to stay overnight. It is also only a 5 min bike ride in from two different trailheads on either side but only accessible from the trail and not connected to the road. This makes it a nice option since you will have much more privacy than any of the other options in the area. However, this also means you won’t have any of the facilities. There is a small seasonal creek that you could probably get water from in the spring when there is water available but it was totally dry when we were there in the fall. Overall, if you are looking for a “backpacking” like campground along the Silver Comet Trail this is a perfect option.