Acworth, GEORGIA
Most Recent Acworth Camping Reviews
Great spot

Not far from home. Bath houses were clean camp sites were nice and well maintained. Play grounds were decent. Will be going back

We like it here

It’s a nice campground, right on the water and very beautiful. Clean sites, easy in and out. friendly deer, Biggest problem I’ve ever had there is every time we get there we walk up to check in and they holler out “don’t bring the dog near the building”

Fort Mountain

Beautiful and interesting

Small camping loop st the bottom of a hill

Beautiful setting right at the start of the Appalachian Trail. Campsites were spacious and well maintained. Showers have heaters for cold weather. We stayed 3 days to hike the AT Approach Trail which is a loop from camp to the HikeInn. 10 miles gave us a good sense of what the AT is all about! Check out the waterfall, the lodge overlook, and do some hiking!

Beautiful surroundings, very close neighbors

We stayed in a campsite next to the lake, half the campsites are next to the lake, but that means you’ll be listening to loud boat engines and boaters screaming and blaring party music all day. Wish I knew this when I reserved the site. Campsite were a bit small, but well maintained with picnic table and fire ring. Lots of fireflies in the evening, fun to watch! Until your neighbor shines their headlights directly at your campsite every time they turn on their vehicle due to the way the campsites are placed… could be better designed, or have some kind of barrier since the sites are so close together.

Beautiful campground

Almost all the campsites are on lake lanier some are heavily wooded beautiful views and nice lake breezes only ptoblem I saw was there are only 2 bathroom sites so choose campsite accordingly

They don’t call it Cloudland for nothin’!

The drive is one of a lovely country side, but about 10 miles from the park, you notice you are going up… up…  with an occasional clear peep at the beautiful farm valley below.  Sometimes those same views are veiled with clouds.

Upon entering the park you check in with friendly, helpful staff. The store is filled with items you may have forgotten, various treats and branded goods.

The wooded campsites are roomy and comfortable with picnic tables and fire rings.  Our campsite had a little unmarked path that went down to a little stream with a foot-bridge and intersected with a larger path.  Close by the campsite are various well marked trailheads.

If you want to take in the beauty nearby, there are various levels of hiking available, from easy to very challenging.  If it is a more easygoing level you seek, just head over to the Nature Center in the middle of the park.  Right behind it the view that is stunning.  When they say “pictures  don’t do it justice” they mean it.  You see a 800-900 ft gorge and a multilevel waterfall.  You must just sit and listen to the waterfall and feel the cool breeze.  If looking for a challenge, take one of the several trails to see waterfalls or overlooks.  There is no lack of photo opportunities.

The park is well kept.  The comfort stations were a bit disappointing and not maintained well, though this could have been an anomaly.

Whether you want to walk in, drive in, tent camp, RV, cabin or yurt, your adventure sensibilities will not be hurt!!

Sawnee Campground at Lake Lanier

On a peninsula this little gem on Lake Lanier, with wooded lots, is the perfect relaxation spot for RV & Tent campers. With a lake view at almost every turn, the campsites are roomy and comfortable.  Each site has a picnic area and fire ring for cool evenings or roasting marshmallows.  With a beach and boat launch guests can enjoy may water activities.

There are water and electrical hookups at the sites, with comfort and dump stations are nearby for your convenience.

The park is well maintained with great support staff.

Put at the top of your list

We travel around the country and stay at many campgrounds.  This is one of the few places we would plan a trip to just for the campground/park.  They have two campgrounds each providing a unique experience depending on what your looking for.  The East rim campground is close to all the amenities.  Very nice sites within easy walking distance of all the overlooks and playgrounds.  The West rim campground is in the forest and takes a drive or hike to get to the day use amenities.  We chose the West rim and it's peaceful and beautiful sites.  Most the outer sites provide a raised parking pad with a private viewing area of the forest below.  Our site not only had a large area for the picnic table but had a separate deck like area for looking out over the forest.  Down the hill beside the retaining wall for the pad was our fire pit thus providing us three different relaxing spots in one campsite.  We have already planned on coming back just for this campground.

It's a 13 mile half hour drive to Lookout Mountain

Historical

Beautiful bottoms for tent camping. Very primitive but fun. Loved walking the river bank looking for drift wood.

Not far from home

Great little place to camp on the river. Family friendly and awesome river but crowded sites and bath house is poorly located and not big enough to accommodate the campground. Not far from cave springs though. If you love kayaking this could be a potential spot for you.

Fovorite so far

This place was awesome!! Great family atmosphere, best scenic view in Georgia! Loved the ride up the mountain to get to the park.

One of our favorite places

Huge campground and you never have to leave the park for anything. Huge lake that you can not swim in. Bathhouses are nice. They have a lot of different loops from primitive all the way up to full hook up with cable tv and WiFi. The kids will never get bored at this park. They have a speaker system in the campgrounds that alert you when bad weather is on the way.

Great park!

Very clean and quiet. Camp hosts are awesome very friendly. Bathrooms are so clean and well lit. Has showers and laundry facility.

Fresh air, Mountain View and quiet surroundings

The site was a pull through, mostly level and had views of the woods. I like my sites to be more private from other sites but it helped to have the woods on your sitting side.

The restroom was newly remodeled and kept clean.

The park has great opportunities for hiking and biking. It is close to Ellijay for junking, wineries and apple picking.

Great place to relax

My husband and I love taking our dog here.

Wonderful place to stay

They have alot of options to camp from a tent to a camper, to renting a yurt, safari tent or travel trailer. The bath houses are great and clean. There are so many things to do in the campground and the park. I love visiting as often as I can.

Awesome lake views

Almost all of the campsites have the best lake views and you can do pretty much anything on the lake! Great place for the whole family!

Awesome !!

Love this campground. We stayed in the West Rim. Very spacious, wooded, private sites. Water and electric only. Nice dump station, over the air TV worked great. Nice waterfall hikes. Only reason it’s not a 5 Star is no sewer.

Nice relaxing place

Lake Lanier is huge with many campgrounds to choose from.  My favorite is Shady Grove.  Sites are large.  Many with nice views. Easy to manipulate around with wide roads.  Lots to do of all water sports.   Striped Bass is a favorite for anglers.

Nice local site close to Atlanta

Lake Allatoona is great for all water sports.   Miles of shoreline so you can still get away.   Campsites are spacious where none are poor ones.   Lots of deer graze all times of day.  My only complaint are the camp hosts.  They are not friendly at all. Very strict with their check in rules.  If you don’t follow them exactly they will turn you away to the back of the line.   So beware.

Nice for quick getaway

Camped 3 days over Memorial Day.  Crowded but expected.  We stayed in green section.  Very shaded. Small to medium sites.  Have a 23 ft Grey Wolf and had no trouble managing parking.  Some 5th wheel and Class C had a harder time in this section.   The purple is considered the prime but I did not see paying the extra.  Yes it is by the pool and playground. But many sites have no trees for shade.   There is lots to do in Stone Mtn.  Good shuttle service so you don’t have to drive, park and walk.  Check website first to see what things you are interested in to determine price as most have a cost.  The laser show is free and a must do.  I am disappointed though as over the years they have cut back on the historical components but still enjoyable.

Our campsite was nice, shady spot on the water. We will consider coming back just for the proximity to Atlanta. Just be aware you have to pay $20 just to get to the campground which I think should be included if you are staying at the campground. It appears they need to do some upgrades on the roads and some of the paved sites as the asphalt is cracked or broken away. They do have shuttle service to the park which is nice.

Private and quiet!

This is our first time at an army corps of engineers campground. We truly enjoyed it!

Our site is very private (we only used the website map to pick an available site…props to my wife for selecting the site…we are in site 22 in case you were wondering).

I didn't get a chance to snap pictures or videos but it is nestled along the shore of Lake Allatoona.

The sites are clean, large fire rings, concrete picnic tables, asphalt vehicle and RV pad, pea stone is spread across the"living space of the site and surrounds the fire ring. They are also fairly level; I only had to use one block under there pair of tires on The driver side of the trailer to level the RV out side to side.

Keep in mind there is no septic hookup at these campgrounds. They do have 15/30/50A power and water hookups.

Yes, we'd come back in a heart beat.

Clean, privacy, lake, no mud on your site if it is raining (thanks to the pea stone), and fairly level.

Happy camping everyone.

Nice and clean

Kinda far from the main area of the park. Basic sites. They are nice. Yurt spots available also

Beautiful, wooded, clean

Had a great time at Doll Mtn Campground. The sites are tucked into the trees, lots of great spots for your hammock! We stayed at a walk-in site, but were still close to a pit toilet and our car. A really nice fully functional bathhouse was just down the road. A short walk from our site we could take a trail down to Carters lake. We ended up driving about 45 to hike in a nearby park, although I think next time I go there I’d like to just stay around the lake and take in the area.

Wooded and private

We camped with my parents in the RV section of the campground, it was beautifully wooded and offered plenty of space/privacy from other campsites and was still a short walk from the bathhouse. Also had a little view of a lake down below. We definitely hope to return and take in more of the park!

Wooded Campground

Very shaded sites with many being waterfront. We were in site 15, 14, and my parents used the Georgia glamping company in site 16. More photos and details on the link. https://imaginecamper.com/2019/05/30/shady-grove-campground/

Had to move, but awesome switch

We reserved one site, but when we arrived, someone had vomited all over the site and parking area. We went back to the gate and asked to change sites. Normally they wouldn't allow, but they couldn't get someone to clean up the site until much later. The new site cost a little more, but it was worth that difference.

Sites are spacious and well-kept. More music than I prefer, but it eventually stopped.

Bathrooms clean, good pressure. Washer and dryer at bathhouse, too, was a great bonus.

Will stay here again.

My favorite State park in Georgia!

This is my favorite! Gorgeous views all around! We have tent camped on site #33 and can't wait to go back!! West Rim campground is the best one, with plenty of space between large sites and most sites are shaded. If at all physically possible, hike to the waterfalls! Going down is fine but the coming back up is a challenge for this old girl from the flat lands of south Georgia, but so worth it! If you can only do one, I think Cherokee falls is the easiest and it's beautiful!