the dyrt
Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest, GEORGIA
Most Recent Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest Camping Reviews
Historic Methodist Church Campground

This is a historic Methodist Church Campground that is not used except on special occasions.

Beware

This is a beautiful area, but I’m sure that there are many campgrounds in the area that are as if not even more beautiful. The manager and owner of the campground are very aggressive and have a tendency to make the experience very unpleasant. Also the farm and none of the campground is organic, the owner is not a certified farm and did not even know what organic or non gmo was. Also the cabins have mold on the wood ceilings and wood work. I will definitely pass on this one for our next trip. Also please go to the Cherokee Heritagr website and the county assessors web page and you will learn that this land is not in trust nor was it even Cherokee land. This is a sham playing in Native American heritage and while living. Also there is no restaurant, the laundry room and bathroom/showers were closed down, the store was a joke, we went to buy milk and they sold us rice milk that we later learned had already been opened and was out of date. The place is very run down and not up kept for the cost. The site fee is also 55 a night and 5 extra for each pet per night.

Great Campground

Very nice wooded campground on Lake Lanier, very spacious sites, many on the lake. Water and electric with a dump station. Dump station very easy to get into. Nice playground for the kids, Over the air TV worked great. Only reason for the 4 stars is our site was not level, took some work to level our rig. Also our site needed a little TLC. I did notice them updating sites. Defiantly worth a stay

Wonderfully forested and friendly campground

I stayed at this campground in 2013 (3 days) and I have scheduled to go there again for a week in May 2019.This is a KOA and even though I normally am not a fan of KOAs this place is very different. It is small and heavily treed so the campground does NOT look like a parking lot. There seemed to be amble space between sites. There is an awesome gold-bearing creek alongside the camp which is too cool. The place is pet friendly, the owner is awesome, the price is reasonable. There is an acre field for dogs to be off leash and run, you can tube in the creek, they have nice cabins. The bathhouse was older when I was there but from what I understand it has been remodeled in recent years….but I don't go camping to explore the bathrooms so I don't really care about them. This is a great family site and it is fairly quiet, so if you are like me and you camp to GET AWAY from noise and drama, then this is the place!!

One of my favorites

My wife and I hiked part of the Appalachian Trail in March 2018. The last 3 days of our 14 day trip we camped here just to get couple nights at a regular camp site. I really like this place. Next time we might stay at the squirrels nest.

Great Family campground.

A family owned and operated, 11 acre full service, pet friendly camping facility. We are conveniently located just 20 minutes outside the historic town of Murphy North Carolina, at an elevation of 1850 feet, surrounded by mountains! Closer to the natural beauty the area is known for. We are nestled in the center of a peaceful valley with a 360 degree view of the mountains that surround us. The campsites border the many bubbling streams that pass through our valley.

A Full Service Campground, we have 2 separate bath houses with private individual bathing facilities, 3 Bunkhouses as well as Primitive sites.  We have a large pavilion for your group meetings, family reunions, fully lighted with electricity available.

Great camp sites

The camp sites are big and really enjoyed the campground.

A.ways stay here

Great management. Close to town. Security is great. Everything you need for a camp ground.

Only RV

No tents just for RV

Ocoee Outdoors Rafter Campground

If you float the Upper, Middle or Lower with Ocoee Outdoors ask if you can stay on a tent site or in a lean to. The campground was the former bunk house for the season raft guides until “that guy” ruined it for everyone. Now it’s selectively available for clients upon request and has a full bath house on site. You may end up having the place to yourself which can be a plus.

Hiwassee Outfitters

Excellent sites, small outfitter store with food, drink, sundries. Breakfast & Lunch Diner. Multiple Float Rental types including sit in, sit on and inflatable kayaks. Shuttle to top for put in and take out at camp ground on the river. Clean bath house and hot showers. This is a popular location for the regional university students so expect a bit of a hootenanny to surround and welcome you. If you’re not down with everyone having a good time, choose the Forest Service Primitive sites just up the road a piece

Great place

Great place

Nice

Well maintained

Large full-hookup RV sites with a few tent sites and several rental cabins.

This is the most well kept campground you will ever find! Very friendly and helpful staff will bend over backwards to help with any issue you may have. Store, game room, playground, mini golf, pool, basketball court, fishing, shuffleboard, and large event building. Something for everyone to enjoy!

Top of the Hill

If you love twisty roads and beautiful views This is the place. We went in December and the weather was a little cool and damp but the views were great when the fog lifted. They're great scenic hikes in the park. Bathrooms were clean with very hot water

Great place, very scenic..

With great views of Stone Mountain, close to hiking and activities, and right on the lake, this campground is very nice. It has plenty of amenities and a friendly staff. Where it falls short is at some of the sites. The fire ring and grill at our site (410, loop O) were not placed well; we never used them. Grill was right by the road, and the ring was too far forward. Both items would be better placed at the back of the site. It was quite a walk to get to the restroom. But, the shower and restroom were always clean. They have a laundry as well; very convenient overall. We enjoyed our stay and will certainly be back.

Family trip...

Really enjoyed camping here with my family. Took our 19, 11, and 4 year old. Tested the trails and enjoyed plenty of scenic views. Will definitely be going back.

In the north Georgia Mountains, land of Many Falls

Unicoi State Park is a large Park in north Georgia. The Park has a Lake, rope courses, a restaurant, lounge and beautiful Lodge. It's 2 miles from Helen Georgia, an Alpine gem nestled in the mountains.

Hiking trails of all levels abound including many with falls destinations.

We camped at Riverbend Campground November 19 – 24, 2018 on site C-17. Our site was next to the roadway but this wasn’t a problem because there was very little traffic. We did not have sewer on our site but every other day the staff would come by on a tractor to pump the sewer from RV. The park had gravel roads, gravel sites, picnic tables, fire ring, 20/30/50amp, cable and water; most sites had sewer. There are around 40 sites backed up to river bank (nice), a small store, firewood, a pavilion, pool, laundry room and clean bathrooms. The park is well maintain and the personnel were nice.

This was our first time and we found it to be very relaxing. We stayed through Thanksgiving and the park had a Thanksgiving dinner gathering for the whole park. The park supplied the meat and the campers supplied two sides. This was a big gathering; I guess about 225 people. Standing in line was enjoyable because it gave us a chance to talk with other campers that we did not know.

I only gave it a 4 rating because of gravel sites and road. We will be going back and I encourage others to go.

Wild life

Great camp although we had the pioneer site which is a walk in. And it wasn't posted anywhere. Tough showing up at 9 at night without a view or a way into camp. But besides a walk up a hill it was a great get away. Bobcats, bears, and all kinds of wild life

Great

Good and spacious. Depending of what sites you choose some have water and electricity.. there is a store that sells wood and a diversity of items in case you forgot something (opens until 8). Good trails and views! Well marked so you don’t get lost.

So much to do!!!

This is one of my favorite places we’ve stayed! We were atStone Mountain over Memorial Day, they do an amazing fireworks show over the lake, which is great for kayaking (no motorboats allowed!!!) Great for bike riding too. Bathhouses are nice. We were in our pop-up, and had plenty of space. Highly recommend!

Great hiking near Atlanta

We visited this park a few weeks ago with friends and had an amazing time! The park is set up on the land of an old factory that used the river to power a water wheel. There are a whole bunch of trails of varying difficulty and length that meander through the woods along the river. Along with the campgrounds there are also picnic benches and large group areas where you can host a lunch or dinner. We took the trail that shows you where they built the mill then goes along the river for a while. It was a beautiful hike but definitely challenging since there are a lot of rocks you have to climb over. The campgrounds are nice and across the road from the park through you can also take other trails from there that go down and around the reservoir. The amenities are nice and the whole park is well taken care of. I would highly suggest staying the night since it is such a short trek from the Atlanta area.

Close to amazing climbing

I visited this area while on a day off from staffing a sleep away camp in the area. We spent the day doing sport climbing on some of the many amazing rocks in the park and then trekked up to the viewpoint to get a beautiful look at the nearby area. The park is really wonderful and has a whole lot of trails and different areas where you can either set up top rope or lead climbing routes. The campground itself is slightly down the road from where the hiking and climbing is but has amazing amenities and is really well taken care of. The tent sites are large and spaced out though not so private but great if you have a group staying at several different ones. They also have volleyball courts and other fields you can use if you are staying there.

Okay campground

I wasn't really a huge fan of this campground, but the hiking and outdoor nature was great. We saw tons of chipmunks around, they were definitely after our food both at our campsite and hiking. Wish I would have got some pictures of them! We also really enjoyed doing some bird watching and trying to figure out what birds were which. My grandpa brought his bird book, so we were able to look in there and find what birds we were seeing. The experience of doing it was worth it! There were definitely lots of different beautiful colored birds. Really enjoyed the hiking and nature walks. The paths were so beautiful, I couldn't help but take pictures of it all. Felt like we were the only ones on the paths, because they were bare and we hardly saw anyone. People used on of the trails for trail running, which looked like a ton of fun. We passed a few runners on our way up and back. The views from the top were amazing. The campground was a bit small and dirty. There was garbage everywhere it seemed, and the bathrooms were a mess. Not sure if people using the trails also use the bathrooms, BUT it was gross and smelly. Bring your own toilet paper would be my suggestion and plug your nose! We probably wouldn't come back and stay here again, but would come back to go hiking on the trails.!

Bring your money ;)

Stone Mountain Park is a reflection of the Atlanta, GA area. In other words you pay for everything you do , from entering the park to traveling to the top of the mountain.

You pay upon entering for parking. If you are camping you still pay for parking when you arrive but get a voucher for the duration of your stay.

This campground has many rules so ensure you review them. Pets are allowed, alcohol is not. Guests are permitted but if they are not part of your original group you have to pay for them to stay overnight. You can not camp in your vehicle. You can not swim in the lake, there is a pool. And so on.

All that being said it is a nice, large campground. Depending on the loop your in you may have more privacy then in others. The sites are not necessarily level if you get in the “tiered” areas BUT you have more privacy. There are some excellent choices for picturesque views of the lake and Stone Mountain. Every camping combination you may need from no electric to full hookup.

In my opinion this is very similar to Yogi or KOA, etc. If that’s the type vacation your looking for. https://www.stonemountainpark.com/Activities

Check out everything they offer and have your credit card ready ;)

Dogs are permitted on the trails around the mountain but not permitted on the trail to the top. I was not aware of this until we got there so we didn’t get to do a picture on top. We did enjoy the trails and lake.

The weather was perfect for camping, cool in the evening, great for campfire gatherings;) The Country Living Fair was on the event calendar so it was a little busy in the park.

Definitely a destination campground and so close to Atlanta you’ll probably want to visit there too.

amazing!!

some of the greatest views in Georgia! this place is a great place to explore and sight see! surrounded by a small town its great to go and see what the town holds!

Strenuous but absolutely worth it

The hike was a little more intense than I thought it would be. We took the shorter more direct trail and I definitely recommend taking that one, setting up camp, and then exploring more. Sunsets and sunrises over the lookout points were gorgeous and absolutely worth the trip.

Hiking, fishing & Dillard, GA

Black Rock Mountain SP is Georgia’s highest elevation park. It’s located on the Eastern Continental Divide, in Rabun County, in The Blue Ridge Mountains. The road up into the park is very steep, narrow and winding, so large RVs could have trouble. There are 2 camp loops. The front one is on a hill, sites are small and tight. But, they are in a grove of rhododendrons, which is nice in spring. To get to the 2nd loop you drive along the side of the mountain. These sites are larger, and mostly level. There is a fishing lake, hiking and wildlife. And, there is the Dillard House!

Great camping in the woods

Red Top Mountain SP is a great place to get away into the Woods. The park is just north of Atlanta, so it gets crowded in summer and fall, so reservations are needed. There is one loop of pull-through sites for large RVs, and a loop along the lake with back in sites. There are also some walk in sites along the lake The sites are mostly level, with water and electric. You can get internet for an additional fee. The park has hiking, boat ramps, swimming beach, fishing and mini-golf. Many years ago there was an iron smelter at the site, and in the fall they occasionally have an “iron pour” so visitors can see them smelt iron.