Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest, GEORGIA

Camping Georgia Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest
Most Recent Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest Camping Reviews
Not bad - nice location

Large campground with a large lake and hiking trails. RV sites are gravel and uneven - difficult to get you rig level. WiFi is terrible - even though they have numerous links they are intermittent and weak - there is no cable hookup and you cannot stream movies, etc even if you can stay hooked up (camp rule). They do offer military discounts.

Forest Service Campground

One thing I disliked was road noise, other than that nice place.

Nice campground by the lake

Clean campground with access to the lake. Most sites are electric/water but no sewer hook up, they do have a dump station and bathhouses. There is a boat ramp in the campground where you can launch your boat and parking for the boat trailer.

Great location!

The location in Helen was awesome! It is remote enough to get away from the busy streets of Helen, GA. The other camp houses are near and you’ll hear your neighbor occasionally, but the sites are pretty private. Small creek near so you can hear the water running at night. :) you can venture off trail, we found a spot on the chattahoochee river like that, which we got to enjoy with no crowd!

Lakeside retreat

Was there for 2 nights lakeside, no power or water. There is a few water stations located throughout. Bathrooms and showers were clean. Great views! Groceries in Hiawassee just a quick drive away. Was 10/night with National park pass

Awesome Campground on the water

This is an awesome campground on a large lake with fairly secluded sights. Cell phone service was pretty spotty which became an issue while trying to do some hiking. Their are a number of activities available including, hiking, biking, fishing and boating. This campground is extremely family friendly, almost too much for our liking as there were kids EVERYWHERE. There is a large beach area and an event center where they hold daily shows and classes. They even have a put-put course on sight. Bathrooms and facilities were well maintained, clean and plentiful. This is an extremely large campground! My biggest complaint would be the lack of markings on hiking trails. We had a hard time finding some of the trailheads even with the maps provided at the main office. I would like to make a trip back here during the week to avoid some of the crowds but outside of that this is an outstanding place to camp. Even with the weekend crowd we very much enjoyed ourselves!

Beautiful park

This is a beautiful park. The views are wonderful, hiking is great. This is our second trip and it was VERY crowded both times, maybe all the time. That takes its toll on the environment. There is lots of trash on all the trails. The camp sites are not ideal. We stayed in the blue loop this trip and picked a site that we thought would have a water view. It did but from the back side of the camper. The way the one way roads go all the views are from the wrong side. The site was not level at all and the pavement was all cracked making it hard to park. The bath houses are very clean but the shower that I used had no hot water. Overall we enjoyed the stay, obviously enough to make a second trip, but it will likely be the last. I think we prefer the less traveled places.

Very nice campground

The staff was super friendly and very helpful. The bathhouses were clean and plenty of hot water for the shower. Our campsite was large with a fire ring, BBQ grill and picnic table. Also, had a lantern post. We stayed at site A which was down a steep slope but, we had a nice view of the lake and even went for a swim right from our campsite.

Beautiful place

Absolutely beautiful. We stayed in the cabins. Cabin #1. We attended the Hammer-In in the fall of 2019. That event itself was awesome. Campgrounds were very clean. Cabin was good, clean and comfortable. A little close to the neighbors is my only unliked thing about the whole place. I’m an isolation type of person though so…. fuck it. It was still AWESOME! I’ll be back in the spring! Oh also dogs are only allowed in one of their cabins. Kind of bummed about that but I understand. Another downer but won’t stop me from going back.

Great riverside camping!

We camped here after kayaking the Taccoa River from Deep Hole Campground. You can also access these sites from a parking area about a half mile from the river. There is a lot of people walking down from the parking area during the day but the campsites are still fairly private. On the other side of the swing bridge is Rock Creek Lake dispersed camping area that can be accessed from Hatchery Road off Hwy 60.

Awesome Experience

You have several choices, we chose a Premium Site with a Grill and Deck right next to the pool Full Hook Ups and Electricity. Best thing is your right down from all the Activities and History Stone mountain has… The Campground is Too Notch and very clean…. Traffic is heavy at times so be careful.

Great views and lots to do.

Some of the sites have excellent lake views. Not too stacked. Nice beach with easy walk around the lake. Great for kids.

III Rivers Farm

Absolutely love this farm. Multiple sites to camp, plenty of room for everybody, and very secluded! Can’t wait to go back later this fall

Great waterfront sites

Couldn’t give it five stars because of the wonky dump station set up and the tiny, old playground.

Great waterfront site! Lots of details and photos linked here. https://imaginecamper.com/2019/09/26/duckett-mill-campground-73/

We wanted to love this place so much..

We were eying Stone Mountain our whole trip, and even moved around dates to make it for the Pumpkin festivities. I had heard great things from friends, and thought it worth a shot. We originally booked two nights, but ended up extending a third to take more time to explore the park.

This place has two things that need to be improved to be worth the premium charged. One being the general level of service provided (all around the mountain, not just the park), and the physical maintenance of the place (both financial improvements and general maintenance/housekeeping).

The service has nothing to do with the individual level of service, as everyone was pleasant and professional. It is the consistency and information provided. We were regularly told different information (items, prices, hours) from staff. This caused a lot of confusion with shuttles, propane times events etc. it is clear that the campground and mountain do not work well together. The shuttle service, while again had great service with drivers, was confusion. Half of the team said it ran Sunday, half didnt. Just beware that if you ask for something, that it is not set in stone. It is kids running the show.

The biggest complaint is physical upkeep. I was told that funding is finally coming through to improve sites and roads. They are horrible. Nobody was level. Pads are uneven and unsafe. Fire rings are half out together. Roads are just as bad, especially in the loops. Our site was not clean (common complaint), but we did benefit on Sunday when we were able to purge leftover firewood.

With all of the above being said, we love the place. We somehow got 389 just a few days out, and after driving around, think it’s the best. It fit our 30 foot rv and a 20 foot tent tightly, with room on sides for a set up (see photos). The path went directly to the water and had a nice rock and landing area for our raft. Campground was quiet and even when we had neighbors, it wasn’t too bad.

Lots of stink bugs and ants. Plan accordingly. Bathrooms are ok. Showers about one level below ok, but still manageable.

Overall, nice place, but not worth a premium ($69 for a site) plus a $20 fee. They need to lower prices or invest. Playground was nice, but that was about it for amenities actually inside the ground.

Cooper Creek

This campground was great! It was very clean and well maintained. Although the dirt road that led to the campground was a bit sketchy if you're not use to mountain driving, it is very well maintained as well. The fishing was great too. This was my first time trout fishing in North Georgia but I was able to catch plenty of trout. I highly recommend this campground for those looking for some seclusion.

Very nice

Very quiet and clean. Big level sites. First time staying here but already one of my favourites.

Terrible for tent campers

I was actually shocked at how terrible our actual campsite was; we stayed at site 29, which was supposedly intended for tent camping.

Pros

• The front gate staff was very nice; check in and general store staff were average
  • The general store was very convenient and decently stocked
  • The bathrooms and showers were pretty nice
  • Beautiful lake view. It was nice to watch kayakers and rowing teams go by
  • Nice tree placement for hammock
  • Close to all Stone Mountain activities
  • Garbage pickup each morning (but no metal trash can to store it in??)

Cons

• The site is on a freaking hill; there is no flat surface at all and no clearing, so you have no choice but to sleep on sticks/rocks. Thank God to REI for footprints and decent sleeping pads
  • Site was dirty when I arrived
  • No tent pad
  • Parking area is crap; it's somewhere between gravel and nothing
  • $20 parking fee

There is no way I would stay at this campground again; it was definitely made for RVs.

No horsin around

I visited Bristol Fields for a planned primitive camping event with a group. I’m glad I arrived in daylight because my first drive in on the approximately 4 mile stretch of dirt and gravel road was a little nerve racking. Mostly because I wasn’t 100% sure I was going the correct way and second because there are some nice drop offs from the road. It is a wide road (about 1 1/2 lane)but passing in some areas would be interesting. Stay right and you will find the sign. The campground is primarily for horse oriented camping. It is split into three areas. The first section to the right as you pull in is the area we set up in. Then there is a long field that is obviously for horse trailer parking and camping with tie out poles included. There is a small tree break prior to the last area which has the pit style latrine and a large field for camping use. This whole area is bordered by a nice cold stream that is excellent for soaking your sore muscles in after a horse ride or hike. There is direct access to horse and hiking trails that are not extremely scenic (as in no long views until you get to the top) but will give you a good vertical workout. You can run or bike ride on the road too. There are several large fire pit areas throughout and a fire circle with wood chairs in the main area. There were five of us, three tent campers and two in vans and we had plenty of room to set up. The gravel center with picnic table worked well as our “kitchen” and dining area. Once parked my vehicle didn’t move again until it was time to leave. Total black at night meant excellent star gazing and the creek was the loudest thing out there. It did seem to be a young adult destination in the evenings, but they left when they saw that the site was occupied. A nice feature someone created was a “dam” of rocks with a round pool to sit in. Excellent get away with no electronics to speak of.

I rate in top 10 in state

Great campground, clean and well kept. Campground has plenty to do to keep you busy, some activities include fishing in the private lake, putt-putt, 2 playgrounds, shuffleboard, horseshoes, volleyball baseball field and wading in the creek. They offer nightly, weekly, monthly and seasonal sites great views of brasstown bald

Parking lot camping

Not much to offer if you’re camping in the rec area. Given, you are paying a very low price, so if you are in a camper and don’t need much, this is a good spot. Pit toilets available and a trailhead is also in this spot. Views of mt. Yonsh behind the bathrooms!

This is definitely a happy place

I will be the first to admit that I was apprehensive about booking. I had been scouring the internet for reviews, and this place had been recommended to me on a Facebook group. Most of the negative reviews were either old (seemingly old management) or and what seemed to be one off guests, most of whom seem to have their own individual, underlying issues. I decided as a decider, I would call in and see what kind of vibe I got. After all, I’m responsible for booking our first ever family road trip. Luckily, I called in and got Tori on the phone. She was clearly doing something else when she answered, but once she realized I was looking into visiting, she dropped everything and made me feel like I was booking a room in her house. She was interested in my family breakdown so she could help find the perfect spot… and she did a damn good job.

We were only there one night, and she put us in B14. It was right across from the camp host, so firewood was easy to come by. It was also directly across from the bathhouse. We had a 30 amp in our 30’ rental RV, but luckily we had a adapter. The place was empty as it is mid week in off season, which was perfect. While I loved the place, I’m not sure I would have the same experience over 50/75% occupancy. It was great to throw the raft in the river and let the kids enjoy themselves without worry. The river wasn’t very deep, and even provided some small rock slides. The playground was about 5 sites down and also perfect to let the kids run to.

We wish we could have stayed longer, but we will be back. If not this week, on our next trip to the mountains. The hospitality of Tori and This true hidden gem are a family memory we will have forever.

Quiet peaceful setting

Set back in the woods on a beautiful pond. Deer roaming everywhere. A new check in station with a store that’s really really nice. Mountain bike trails and hiking trails inside park. When I have more time we plan to go back and take it all in. Close to the town of Winder for items you forgot. Less than a 3 mile ride.

Relaxing

Camped here Thursday and Friday night and was close enough to the city to be able to commute to work Friday morning. Our site I believe was 51 and steps away from The water. Easy check in and friendly staff.

Too bad it is seasonal

Wow what a view and location. Too bad it is only open for the summer. If you have a kayak SUP or canoe paddle back deep into the cove for some pristine and quiet areas. Some of the sites are close together but it is worth it for the location. If you like to camp with a neighbor there are a few double sites too.

Tucked away and convenient all in one place

Great sites and easy to navigate the staff is incredibly helpful and while you are out in the woods it is still very convenient and accessible to many attraction and areas of interest The bath houses are very clean and updated. The park offers boat rentals, hiking miniature gold and some very cool history.

Tucked away and convenient all in one place

Great get away, excellent facilities

We had a great little weekend in our travel trailer. Couldn’t have been happier with the site and facilities. Only disappointment was seeing the litter people have thrown in the falls. A park worker their said they have to bring a group 2-3 times a year to remove the trash that tourists throw into the falls. Last haul weighed 80 lbs.

Adventure Friendly

Fun place to camp, especially if you want to get away. Primitive-no running water in winter so pack that in. Fire pits have a swivel grill, ideal to cook with the cast iron over the fire. There's a local store a couple minutes away. Rainbow trout right at the site. We drove up from Florida with a bunch of people that had never trout or fly-fished before. Everyone ended up catching fish and having a great time. When you're not exploring the creek, there's plenty of hiking trails to adventure as well!

Roadside Campground

This is a fairly lovely gem just off Hwy 75 and only 20 minutes north of Helen, GA. The access road looks somewhat like a driveway but don’t let it fool. Follow the road a short while and after crossing a ford (doable in most cars)make your first right onto a road that’s roughly 50 yards long and dead ends into a gate. Campsite on the right.

This site features areas for roughly 2-3 tents and a pre-established fire pit. With plenty of shade from towering Oaks and Poplars, and directly on the Hiawassee River, this site gives a good bit of privacy and isn’t really technical to set up as it’s just a few feet from the road, where you will find enough ‘parking’ for two or three vehicles.

Be aware that when it rains a drainage occurs pretty much right through the middle of the site, but wasn’t unbearable, and dissipates quickly after rain showers.

A little under a mile up the main road you’ll find a small parking area for the trailhead to Blue Hole and High Shoals Falls (1 mile hike).

I will likely stay here again.