Allatoona Lake, GEORGIA
Camping Georgia Allatoona Lake
Most Recent Allatoona Lake Camping Reviews
My spirit place (but that's just me)

This location will likely get less stars from other campers. It seems like it's in the middle of nowhere up a winding dirt road but once you get there people seem to be all over the place. The flat, wooded, dispersed campsites have a little too much trash to be so far removed and the entire site centers around this behemoth of civil engineering- the large cabled swinging bridge that spans the Toccoa River.

But this will forever be my first love of North Georgia. I stumbled into this site on a winter night during a downpour on the Benton Mackeye trail. I had a trash bag for a backpack cover and had just started working at a wilderness camp for troubled youth. It was the 90s when such a thing could be done. I had just moved back to the deep south with a broken heart and the elements of southern Appalachia in winter seemed to match my internal pain. I had no idea where we were, I just knew from the group of miscreants that we had reached our destination and quickly went to work setting up my 2 pole wal-mart tent with a tarp for a rain fly. In the drowning rain, I used the last dry clothes I had to mop up the puddles inside my tent around my sleep pad. My down sleeping bag was soaked at the head and foot. I remembered an old school trick to fight off hypothermia and stripped down naked and crawled into a fetal ball in the dry center of my sleeping bag and fell asleep for the night.

The next morning the rain had stopped but the sound of rushing water felt like being rebirthed as I emerged from my tent like a wet rat to find this magical river, forest of trees, mountain laurel, a lovely waterfall and the little slice of civilization- the bridge to remind me that I was still in an earthly place. We stayed there for 4 days while the troubled kids staked out their solo sites and journaled. The sun came out during the day and dried everything out and the night campfires warmed my core. Each day I came a little more alive. It was for me a place of healing.

I returned in 2005 with my then boyfriend now husband. This time it was by inner tube on the river. It was at dusk and we were behind schedule in reaching our car so we got out and walked the 1+ mile dirt road in the dark with no shoes or flashlight back to the highway to call for help. When my best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer she flew to Georgia to see me and I brought her here. She pressed her broken breast to the trees and we listened to the river. She is now in remission 13 years later. When I got married my bachelorette party was here and we all jumped In the river naked after dark squealing with delight at being women.

This place feels like the back country because it is up a road that, in my opinion should be driven by a 4x4. But I saw plenty of mini vans and sedans. The round rocks lining the lovely waterfall and little islands I. The river make for great places to just be in the quiet but there are almost always people there in the summer. Between boaters and fisherman and day trippers it is not as secluded as the spot seems to want to be. But it is worth a visit. Campsites are plenty. They are nice and flat and dispersed. But Bridge an extra trash bag and try to leave it better than you found it. The land deserves it.

Pretty

Pretty campground to sit and relax at.

Fantastic

Beautiful campground with access to huge park with lots of fun things to do. Seasonal events always happening too. Fun taking the sky lift to the top of the mountain and hiking back down. Beautiful and historic place

Worst campground ever seen.

The worst designed campground I have ever seen. Tent sites converted for RV, what a joke. Sites are washed out,because of poor design. Lake side sites are negligently dangerous(no rocks and ga red clay straight down, major erosion). No wild life seen. Bathhouse is covered in mold and not stocked. Only has one dump station. Will NEVER be back to this site.

Walk-in sites: Beautiful, mostly private, easy trail access

We stayed at campsite #17 in the walk-in campground. It was easy to find the site, although it was strange that sites 16,17, & 18 were out of order. Our site was along a dried creek and it was gorgeous. We got there on a Thursday and there were only a handful of the other walk-in sites taken. The site across the creek from us was occupied and the voices of those individuals did echo right to us… however, we couldn’t see them. The second night of our stay, the campground really filled up and that’s when we got annoyed by some of the nearby campers (mostly unsupervised children who wandered right next to our site to whack trees with machetes). Our site was clean except for a lot of cigarette butts around the fire pit (they don’t biodegrade, people!). The visitor’s center is a close and easy drive and everyone there was so friendly. There is firewood there. Off of the parking lot of the walk-in site there were showers and water spigots. The walk-in campsite has a connecting trail to take you almost anywhere you want to hike in the park. The waterfalls hike was amazing, but dogs might not like the grated metal steps (of which there are 600). We were told that there are no active bear populations within the park but there definitely are some monstrous raccoons who will take off with your cooler so definitely don’t leave food at your site. It’s easy enough to walk the little bit to the parking lot to grab meals from your car. We can’t wait to visit, again! The rating of 4 out of 5 reflects our disappointment in the noise level within the campground that second night AND the fact that we never saw an attendant or ranger in that particular campground during our stay.

Beautiful place to camp

We stayed at the walk-in campground for tents only. Lots of space per site with picnic table and fireplace. Bathrooms were clean. Shower was available. Trails start right at the campsites, so no need to drive to a different hiking parking lot. Dog friendly. Water spigot is available near the bathhouse. Campsite was clean and level.

Wow - don't know what to say

There are some pretty sites here, they are level, and some have beautiful overlooks of Lake Lanier.  Very convenient to any stores you might need.  However, this campground is out of control.  When we arrived at 3pm to check in, there was someone in our site that was supposed to check out the day before.  The Ranger and Campground host wasn't even aware, hadn't checked.  Then a large group checked in across from us that unloaded 2 loud Harley's and two small motorbikes, immediately turned the music up LOUD and road laps around the campground on the Harley's for hours.  They set two large tents up completely off their campsites - one of the group actually slept on the picnic table all night.  There were times no one was in the gate house (there wasn't a gate though) so there was no control on who came in and out.  My last trip here I'm sorry to say.  It could be a wonderful campground, but it's out of control.

Amazing trip

I actually took this trip back in 2017 with a group of random people from my university. It was an amazing campground and hiking experience!

Not bad

Decent amount of space between sites. Some of the sites (ours) were at a pretty big slope so we couldn't drive right up onto it but had to park on the road. Bathrooms were decent. There was a grill and fire ring, but no grate on the fire ring. I prefer to cook on the fire than have to bring/buy coal.

Our first time camping at Sloppy Floyd state park.

Our first time camping at Sloppy Floyd was nice! It was very quiet. There was mostly older people there so I did feel like I had to keep my kids quiet for the older people around us. There were a few kids there but not many. The comfort station was nice and had showers with a washer and dryer. It was also nice that they had ice and wood you could buy from the campground host. The host was very nice as well and loaned our kids some bicycle helmets for the time we were there. It is a very nice place if you want to get away to somewhere quiet and our campsite was fairly large but we must have not gone when there were many kids. They also offer cabins, fishing, and paddle boat and kayak rentals. If you like hiking there are also a couple of trails. The only downside is they did not offer anywhere to swim. Other than that we had a great time!

Amazing lake views

Red Top Mountain is a nice place, situated right on the lake, with lots of hiking trails, there’s plenty to do, and the scenery is beautiful. The campground is gated, so if you will be arriving late, you’ll need to call and get a code. Also, they require a two night minimum on the weekends when you book online, however if a site is only open for one night, you can call the park directly and they will book it for you.

The campground is mountainous and wooded, and the sites are very spacious. Many of the sites have lake views, and several are lake front, some you can even drop in a kayak. The campground has lots of large rocks throughout, just like the terrain of the area. We stayed on site #56, and had a great view of the lake. The tent pad in that one was huge, so we had way more space than we even needed.

My only complaint was the bathhouse was in desperate need of a major renovation. Cracked tiles, broken door handles, rotting wood on the stall doors, etc.

Beautiful Park

Cloudland Canyon State Park is located in North Georgia at the end of Lookout Mountain. The views there are breathtaking! There are trails to a waterfall and several overlook spots, perfect for pics! The campground is divided into two sections- east rim and west rim, plus there are backcountry sites, pioneer sites, and a yurt village. There’s so much to explore here, I can’t imagine getting bored, but if you do, Chattanooga is just a short 20 min drive.

The campgrounds are gated, so if you will be arriving late, you’ll need to call and get a gate code. Also, there’s a two night minimum on the weekends, however if a site is only open for one night, you can call the park directly and they will book it for you.

We stayed in the west rim loop on site #47, it was a 50amp pull through. All the sites were very spacious, and I love how the fire rings were off the picnic area, and there was a charcoal grill as well. The west rim loop is heavily wooded, so there’s lots of privacy and also lots of good hammock space. The restrooms were ok, nothing special.

The east rim loop looked to be much more open, not in the woods, but it is very close to the main overlook, so there could be some really nice views there.

The yurt village looked really cool, I’m hoping to stay there sometime. The bathhouse in that area looked really nice too.

I really love this area, and the camping is great!

Lakeside Camping

We stayed at this campground on the lake while coaching a tournament in Atlanta. The spaces were spread out with plenty of shade and canopy cover. The bathrooms were clean and fairly up to date. I arrived late after coaching a game so had to park and walk into our pop up camper which was pretty annoying. I would love to see them add a gate with a code for late entry/arrival. And to be completely honest the gentleman working the front gate was an absolute prick to my wife when she was pulling the pop up in on her own. It’s unfortunate a campground can be so nice but hire people who are arrogant, egotistical, unsociable and frankly disrespectful. I still give this campground a 4 star rating in hopes they will maybe do some PR training or hire some people who actually help their guests enjoy their stay!

Awesome Park and Campground but a bit crowded

This is an amazing State Park with plenty to do and much to explore. The campground provides many beautiful views and offers a ton of sights. Upon arrival the front gate/check in area was a bit congested but staff was friendly. The bathrooms were sufficient and clean. My biggest complaint about our particular site was the fact I felt like we were right on top of our neighbors. This campground is a bit too condensed for my liking. When I go camping I don’t want to be able to hear my neighbors every word. It was also a bit difficult maneuvering in and out of the sites as every site seems to be right on top of the next. Loved the park and the views, did not love the lack of privacy in the campground.

Plenty of options in this State Park Campground

If you are looking for options this State Park has a little bit of everything. This is an extremely large campground spread out all over the park. We stayed in the west rim campground and the sites were giant and secluded. Bathrooms were nothing special but clean and accessible. There is plenty of canopy cover in this west rim whereas the east rim was far more wide open, without much cover. They have Pioneer/walk-in sites, a Yurt loop as well as cottages. The sight seeing and hiking is awesome in this area. There is a day use area for those who just want to checkout the main overlook and or waterfall. We are most certainly looking forward to coming back to this campground and state park to explore. If needing a campsite near Chattanooga it is close enough even though it’s located in north Georgia. Be sure to do some exploring and at least check out the overlook!

Great view of the lake!

Site 74 is easy to back in and has plenty of shade in the evening. Great views.

Plenty of Waterfront View Options

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Red Top Mountain State Park. The campground itself is spread out with large sites. There are plenty of options for waterfront sites and most all sites are shaded with canopy cover. Our site specifically that we chose 56, was perfect for our roof top tent. We parked on a flat pad below a small staircase up to a tent pad surrounded by large boulders and equipped with a picnic table and fire ring. Firewood laying around was abundant. My only complaint about this campground were the comfort station showers. If you don’t need or desire to shower I would have zero hesitation sending anyone to this campground. However if you desire or need to shower as my wife and I do, be warned they are disgusting. They are probably the worst I have experienced anywhere as far as cleanliness. They serve their purpose as far as sufficient water pressure and hot water but outside of that, they are far from pleasant.

Nice place in Erie County

I loved where they placed us, in front of a pond. They had electrical and water hook ups, a dump station not far from where we were. They have lots to do but it was raining all weekend. We would come back for sure. Friendly staff. Great store. We were able to relax and enjoy the ‘home away from home’ in our truck camper. :)

A North Georgia Classic

This popular state park is the jumping off point for hikers headed to Maine on the Appalachian Trail as well as those hiking to Len Foote Hike Inn. The vistas at the lodge are worth the trip inside and there are great viewing decks where you can eat your own picnic or packed lunch. The Maple Restaurant is also inside. There are cottages and campgrounds. The campground sites are nice and roomy for RVs and the loops contain a covered pavilion and horseshoe pit. This is a hiker's state park with lots of trails from moderate to strenuous. The Falls are the real centerpiece with a set of stairs leading to the top which is incorporated into the AT approach trail. There is a also a small reflection pond where people can fish. I went in the middle of the week in the summer and it was not crowded but it is clearly a place that can get crowded due to its popularity. It's an easy car camp trip that gets you high enough in elevation to cool off a little in the summer but is not too far of a drive from Atlanta.

So peaceful

My daughter and I went camping here for 2 nights right on the beach it was like having the beach all to ourselves. We went on a weekday so the people at the front actually let us switch sites so we could get the one we wanted since we booked over the phone before looking. That spot wasn't available this weekend but all the sites are by the water just cant go jump in right there and you can drive to the beach in the campground in seconds or walk.

Great for seniors

Special Federal lakefront RV Park. Reasonable fees too

Glamping in an award winning green facility 5 miles off the grid

I have always wanted to visit this place and it did not disappoint. The 5 mile hike starts inside the Amicalola Falls State Park and for a bit shares the trail with AT approach trail to Springer Mountain. The entire Hike to the inn is 5 miles and takes around 3-4 hours. the trail is not strenuous but for one section towards the end and offers vistas to the south but is mostly shaded. I hiked in June the day after a drenching rain and enjoyed the cool vapors of galax in the air with early blooming Mountain Laurel. The temperature at the inn is a god 10-15 degrees cooler than Amicalola, which is welcome in the summer heat.

If you are planning to backpack up to this spot, you should know that you will need very little once you get there. They have hot showers with soap, linens for the shower and bedding, snacks and drinks on hand, a hot dinner and breakfast. They even will pack a lunch for you the next day for your hike out (for an additional fee). There are signs saying that it is a cel phone free space but they seem to not enforce this as people were taking pictures. There is also a solar powered charging station for your devices. The signs really just encourage people to unplug and use technology sparingly.

The facility consists of 4 buildings- the bunkhouse (where you check in and has a nice lobby), the bathhouse, the dining hall, and the sunrise room. The facility is 70% run on solar power. At 5 PM, a staff member offers a tour of the facility and describes the numerous sustainable practices that the inn uses. At 6 PM is dinner, they ring a bell so you don't have to watch the clock. Then at 7 pm there is a staff led educational program in the dining hall.

There is a lovely spot to watch the sunrise and the staff actually walks the area outside the rooms just before sunrise with a soft drum that alerts visitors of the sunrise, but I did not find it too jarring for those who wish to keep sleeping. There was however, a slight "hum" to the building that went on all night that appeared to be the evaporation fans for the composting toilets. It was not too bad but might impact light sleepers.

The price is high for a family of four when you think camping or even glamping. The inn offers group programs for students at special rates and also has half price sales in mid summer but a family coming for a night at regular price is looking at around $600. I prefer this as a solo getaway for that reason but it is worth a splurge with your family if you can catch the half off rate.

Great spot

Not far from home. Bath houses were clean camp sites were nice and well maintained. Play grounds were decent. Will be going back

We like it here

It’s a nice campground, right on the water and very beautiful. Clean sites, easy in and out. friendly deer, Biggest problem I’ve ever had there is every time we get there we walk up to check in and they holler out “don’t bring the dog near the building”

Fort Mountain

Beautiful and interesting

Small camping loop st the bottom of a hill

Beautiful setting right at the start of the Appalachian Trail. Campsites were spacious and well maintained. Showers have heaters for cold weather. We stayed 3 days to hike the AT Approach Trail which is a loop from camp to the HikeInn. 10 miles gave us a good sense of what the AT is all about! Check out the waterfall, the lodge overlook, and do some hiking!

Beautiful surroundings, very close neighbors

We stayed in a campsite next to the lake, half the campsites are next to the lake, but that means you’ll be listening to loud boat engines and boaters screaming and blaring party music all day. Wish I knew this when I reserved the site. Campsite were a bit small, but well maintained with picnic table and fire ring. Lots of fireflies in the evening, fun to watch! Until your neighbor shines their headlights directly at your campsite every time they turn on their vehicle due to the way the campsites are placed… could be better designed, or have some kind of barrier since the sites are so close together.

Beautiful campground

Almost all the campsites are on lake lanier some are heavily wooded beautiful views and nice lake breezes only ptoblem I saw was there are only 2 bathroom sites so choose campsite accordingly

They don’t call it Cloudland for nothin’!

The drive is one of a lovely country side, but about 10 miles from the park, you notice you are going up… up…  with an occasional clear peep at the beautiful farm valley below.  Sometimes those same views are veiled with clouds.

Upon entering the park you check in with friendly, helpful staff. The store is filled with items you may have forgotten, various treats and branded goods.

The wooded campsites are roomy and comfortable with picnic tables and fire rings.  Our campsite had a little unmarked path that went down to a little stream with a foot-bridge and intersected with a larger path.  Close by the campsite are various well marked trailheads.

If you want to take in the beauty nearby, there are various levels of hiking available, from easy to very challenging.  If it is a more easygoing level you seek, just head over to the Nature Center in the middle of the park.  Right behind it the view that is stunning.  When they say “pictures  don’t do it justice” they mean it.  You see a 800-900 ft gorge and a multilevel waterfall.  You must just sit and listen to the waterfall and feel the cool breeze.  If looking for a challenge, take one of the several trails to see waterfalls or overlooks.  There is no lack of photo opportunities.

The park is well kept.  The comfort stations were a bit disappointing and not maintained well, though this could have been an anomaly.

Whether you want to walk in, drive in, tent camp, RV, cabin or yurt, your adventure sensibilities will not be hurt!!

Sawnee Campground at Lake Lanier

On a peninsula this little gem on Lake Lanier, with wooded lots, is the perfect relaxation spot for RV & Tent campers. With a lake view at almost every turn, the campsites are roomy and comfortable.  Each site has a picnic area and fire ring for cool evenings or roasting marshmallows.  With a beach and boat launch guests can enjoy may water activities.

There are water and electrical hookups at the sites, with comfort and dump stations are nearby for your convenience.

The park is well maintained with great support staff.