Roswell, GEORGIA
Most Recent Roswell Camping Reviews
Beautiful park

This is a beautiful park. The views are wonderful, hiking is great. This is our second trip and it was VERY crowded both times, maybe all the time. That takes its toll on the environment. There is lots of trash on all the trails. The camp sites are not ideal. We stayed in the blue loop this trip and picked a site that we thought would have a water view. It did but from the back side of the camper. The way the one way roads go all the views are from the wrong side. The site was not level at all and the pavement was all cracked making it hard to park. The bath houses are very clean but the shower that I used had no hot water. Overall we enjoyed the stay, obviously enough to make a second trip, but it will likely be the last. I think we prefer the less traveled places.

Very nice campground

The staff was super friendly and very helpful. The bathhouses were clean and plenty of hot water for the shower. Our campsite was large with a fire ring, BBQ grill and picnic table. Also, had a lantern post. We stayed at site A which was down a steep slope but, we had a nice view of the lake and even went for a swim right from our campsite.

Awesome Experience

You have several choices, we chose a Premium Site with a Grill and Deck right next to the pool Full Hook Ups and Electricity. Best thing is your right down from all the Activities and History Stone mountain has… The Campground is Too Notch and very clean…. Traffic is heavy at times so be careful.

Great waterfront sites

Couldn’t give it five stars because of the wonky dump station set up and the tiny, old playground.

Great waterfront site! Lots of details and photos linked here. https://imaginecamper.com/2019/09/26/duckett-mill-campground-73/

We wanted to love this place so much..

We were eying Stone Mountain our whole trip, and even moved around dates to make it for the Pumpkin festivities. I had heard great things from friends, and thought it worth a shot. We originally booked two nights, but ended up extending a third to take more time to explore the park.

This place has two things that need to be improved to be worth the premium charged. One being the general level of service provided (all around the mountain, not just the park), and the physical maintenance of the place (both financial improvements and general maintenance/housekeeping).

The service has nothing to do with the individual level of service, as everyone was pleasant and professional. It is the consistency and information provided. We were regularly told different information (items, prices, hours) from staff. This caused a lot of confusion with shuttles, propane times events etc. it is clear that the campground and mountain do not work well together. The shuttle service, while again had great service with drivers, was confusion. Half of the team said it ran Sunday, half didnt. Just beware that if you ask for something, that it is not set in stone. It is kids running the show.

The biggest complaint is physical upkeep. I was told that funding is finally coming through to improve sites and roads. They are horrible. Nobody was level. Pads are uneven and unsafe. Fire rings are half out together. Roads are just as bad, especially in the loops. Our site was not clean (common complaint), but we did benefit on Sunday when we were able to purge leftover firewood.

With all of the above being said, we love the place. We somehow got 389 just a few days out, and after driving around, think it’s the best. It fit our 30 foot rv and a 20 foot tent tightly, with room on sides for a set up (see photos). The path went directly to the water and had a nice rock and landing area for our raft. Campground was quiet and even when we had neighbors, it wasn’t too bad.

Lots of stink bugs and ants. Plan accordingly. Bathrooms are ok. Showers about one level below ok, but still manageable.

Overall, nice place, but not worth a premium ($69 for a site) plus a $20 fee. They need to lower prices or invest. Playground was nice, but that was about it for amenities actually inside the ground.

Terrible for tent campers

I was actually shocked at how terrible our actual campsite was; we stayed at site 29, which was supposedly intended for tent camping.

Pros

• The front gate staff was very nice; check in and general store staff were average
  • The general store was very convenient and decently stocked
  • The bathrooms and showers were pretty nice
  • Beautiful lake view. It was nice to watch kayakers and rowing teams go by
  • Nice tree placement for hammock
  • Close to all Stone Mountain activities
  • Garbage pickup each morning (but no metal trash can to store it in??)

Cons

• The site is on a freaking hill; there is no flat surface at all and no clearing, so you have no choice but to sleep on sticks/rocks. Thank God to REI for footprints and decent sleeping pads
  • Site was dirty when I arrived
  • No tent pad
  • Parking area is crap; it's somewhere between gravel and nothing
  • $20 parking fee

There is no way I would stay at this campground again; it was definitely made for RVs.

Quiet peaceful setting

Set back in the woods on a beautiful pond. Deer roaming everywhere. A new check in station with a store that’s really really nice. Mountain bike trails and hiking trails inside park. When I have more time we plan to go back and take it all in. Close to the town of Winder for items you forgot. Less than a 3 mile ride.

Relaxing

Camped here Thursday and Friday night and was close enough to the city to be able to commute to work Friday morning. Our site I believe was 51 and steps away from The water. Easy check in and friendly staff.

Once again - Awesome

Second time tent camping here, but easily my tenth time coming here for the scenery. I bring all out of town visitors here for a great hike and dip in the rapids. Great amenities and wildlife to boot.

Too bad it is seasonal

Wow what a view and location. Too bad it is only open for the summer. If you have a kayak SUP or canoe paddle back deep into the cove for some pristine and quiet areas. Some of the sites are close together but it is worth it for the location. If you like to camp with a neighbor there are a few double sites too.

Tucked away and convenient all in one place

Great sites and easy to navigate the staff is incredibly helpful and while you are out in the woods it is still very convenient and accessible to many attraction and areas of interest The bath houses are very clean and updated. The park offers boat rentals, hiking miniature gold and some very cool history.

Tucked away and convenient all in one place

Great get away, excellent facilities

We had a great little weekend in our travel trailer. Couldn’t have been happier with the site and facilities. Only disappointment was seeing the litter people have thrown in the falls. A park worker their said they have to bring a group 2-3 times a year to remove the trash that tourists throw into the falls. Last haul weighed 80 lbs.

10/10 Experience!

Not only is it a racetrack, it's a campground! AMS offers full hookup camping all throughout the year! Just $35 per night - was an amazing deal! Plenty of room, plenty of spots. They have some events throughout the year - great entertainment! There's also a gift shop and tours are available - was a super cool experience (ask for Miss Jan)! Away and outside of the noise and traffic of Atlanta (thank goodness!). Friendly staff and clean property. Pets are also welcome! Definitely recommend!

Clean and pretty

Plenty of sites to choose from clean bath house smelled like bleach (I like that)

Clean and pretty

If you paddle GO!

If you paddle go to ridgeway recreational area. Put in, go right short paddle to Waterfall. Go left into the unknown. Everything's at a 65 % slant. 5$ to park. Far off the hwy. Warning tho as I was leaving, the churning, burning, stinky jet skiers were putting in.

If you paddle GO!

Mean camp hosts

I'll just say I'm renaming this place nazi camp. Spoiler alert! Foul language to follow

Nice sites, must make reservation at recreation. Gov. 16 for lakeside no elec/no water…. And no love…. It all appears clean, but don't look too close.

Not sure what the hosts/commodants do all day, but drive thru every couple of hours to make sure no one is breaking the rules. If you are breaking the rules, your in trouble, and there gonna tell you about it.

In my whole life I never wanted to tell someone to fuck off more. Completes dicks! I don't know their names, but if their there you'll know exactly who I'm talking about.

Amazing!!!

This was our first camping trip (in a tent) that we have ever taken, and Red Top delivered. It was a beautiful location off the lake, great weather, and lots of trails to take. A great place to make memories. It was easy to find, easy access, and plenty of amendities. The bath house was a little rough, but with some cleaning up and renovations, I think it would be perfect. I definitely recommend any first timers to check this place out! Red Top topped our first adventure!

Quiet little place right outside of town

We love fairly close to this State Park and LOVE the disc golf course. The trails are nice. The beach was a perfect spot for our kids to cool off from the heat. Camp ground was extremely clean. When we were there they had a historic fair that the kids really enjoyed.

Acceptable

Not a lot of privacy or woods between camp sites but all services available and plenty of spots right on lake line.

Host,hospitality and hang outs

Clean showers/toilets, personable host with small store, spots for Campers, tents and even a few rental Cabins. Fantastic spot out of the crowds but less than a mile from Amicalola Falls.

Best hospitality around!

When everything else is booked and you begin to lose hope, give them a call. From the time you pull in to the minute you leave out, everything you need is available and the boiled peanuts that Mike makes are simply icing on the cake. Less than a mile from Amicalola Falls/hiking, quiet camp spots and clean bath houses.

Church Campground

I drive by this campground a few times a week, it is a church camp that is only used the second week of July. Not available for recreational use.

Absolutely beautiful. Quiet, friendly, Great Lake views

Easy from Atlanta

Red Red Top is one of my favorite spots when I need a quick Wilderness cat away from the city. It is always well taken care of, and the sites have easy access to the lake which is nice for sunrise, sunset and relaxing in a hammock. The sites are clean and easy to find, and the campground is only accessible with an access code in the evenings.

Nice

Nice campground.

Nice and Quiet

This place has a nice camping spot with plenty of shade.

Fantastic campground in the mountains.

This campground was one of the best that we have stayed at in Georgia.  Our site was a back-in right on the Hiawassee River.  Will most definitely stay at Riverbend Campground again.