Carters Lake, GEORGIA
Camping Georgia Carters Lake
Most Recent Carters Lake Camping Reviews
My spirit place (but that's just me)

This location will likely get less stars from other campers. It seems like it's in the middle of nowhere up a winding dirt road but once you get there people seem to be all over the place. The flat, wooded, dispersed campsites have a little too much trash to be so far removed and the entire site centers around this behemoth of civil engineering- the large cabled swinging bridge that spans the Toccoa River.

But this will forever be my first love of North Georgia. I stumbled into this site on a winter night during a downpour on the Benton Mackeye trail. I had a trash bag for a backpack cover and had just started working at a wilderness camp for troubled youth. It was the 90s when such a thing could be done. I had just moved back to the deep south with a broken heart and the elements of southern Appalachia in winter seemed to match my internal pain. I had no idea where we were, I just knew from the group of miscreants that we had reached our destination and quickly went to work setting up my 2 pole wal-mart tent with a tarp for a rain fly. In the drowning rain, I used the last dry clothes I had to mop up the puddles inside my tent around my sleep pad. My down sleeping bag was soaked at the head and foot. I remembered an old school trick to fight off hypothermia and stripped down naked and crawled into a fetal ball in the dry center of my sleeping bag and fell asleep for the night.

The next morning the rain had stopped but the sound of rushing water felt like being rebirthed as I emerged from my tent like a wet rat to find this magical river, forest of trees, mountain laurel, a lovely waterfall and the little slice of civilization- the bridge to remind me that I was still in an earthly place. We stayed there for 4 days while the troubled kids staked out their solo sites and journaled. The sun came out during the day and dried everything out and the night campfires warmed my core. Each day I came a little more alive. It was for me a place of healing.

I returned in 2005 with my then boyfriend now husband. This time it was by inner tube on the river. It was at dusk and we were behind schedule in reaching our car so we got out and walked the 1+ mile dirt road in the dark with no shoes or flashlight back to the highway to call for help. When my best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer she flew to Georgia to see me and I brought her here. She pressed her broken breast to the trees and we listened to the river. She is now in remission 13 years later. When I got married my bachelorette party was here and we all jumped In the river naked after dark squealing with delight at being women.

This place feels like the back country because it is up a road that, in my opinion should be driven by a 4x4. But I saw plenty of mini vans and sedans. The round rocks lining the lovely waterfall and little islands I. The river make for great places to just be in the quiet but there are almost always people there in the summer. Between boaters and fisherman and day trippers it is not as secluded as the spot seems to want to be. But it is worth a visit. Campsites are plenty. They are nice and flat and dispersed. But Bridge an extra trash bag and try to leave it better than you found it. The land deserves it.

Great for families!

A lot of things to do here in the park. Pool is nice! Staff is very nice! Lots are real nice. A creek runs through the campground and is wonderful to sit by. Full hookups. Wi-Fi is a bit weak in places so you are using your phone mostly. We will come back.

Pretty

Pretty campground to sit and relax at.

Worst campground ever seen.

The worst designed campground I have ever seen. Tent sites converted for RV, what a joke. Sites are washed out,because of poor design. Lake side sites are negligently dangerous(no rocks and ga red clay straight down, major erosion). No wild life seen. Bathhouse is covered in mold and not stocked. Only has one dump station. Will NEVER be back to this site.

Walk-in sites: Beautiful, mostly private, easy trail access

We stayed at campsite #17 in the walk-in campground. It was easy to find the site, although it was strange that sites 16,17, & 18 were out of order. Our site was along a dried creek and it was gorgeous. We got there on a Thursday and there were only a handful of the other walk-in sites taken. The site across the creek from us was occupied and the voices of those individuals did echo right to us… however, we couldn’t see them. The second night of our stay, the campground really filled up and that’s when we got annoyed by some of the nearby campers (mostly unsupervised children who wandered right next to our site to whack trees with machetes). Our site was clean except for a lot of cigarette butts around the fire pit (they don’t biodegrade, people!). The visitor’s center is a close and easy drive and everyone there was so friendly. There is firewood there. Off of the parking lot of the walk-in site there were showers and water spigots. The walk-in campsite has a connecting trail to take you almost anywhere you want to hike in the park. The waterfalls hike was amazing, but dogs might not like the grated metal steps (of which there are 600). We were told that there are no active bear populations within the park but there definitely are some monstrous raccoons who will take off with your cooler so definitely don’t leave food at your site. It’s easy enough to walk the little bit to the parking lot to grab meals from your car. We can’t wait to visit, again! The rating of 4 out of 5 reflects our disappointment in the noise level within the campground that second night AND the fact that we never saw an attendant or ranger in that particular campground during our stay.

Beautiful place to camp

We stayed at the walk-in campground for tents only. Lots of space per site with picnic table and fireplace. Bathrooms were clean. Shower was available. Trails start right at the campsites, so no need to drive to a different hiking parking lot. Dog friendly. Water spigot is available near the bathhouse. Campsite was clean and level.

Wow - don't know what to say

There are some pretty sites here, they are level, and some have beautiful overlooks of Lake Lanier.  Very convenient to any stores you might need.  However, this campground is out of control.  When we arrived at 3pm to check in, there was someone in our site that was supposed to check out the day before.  The Ranger and Campground host wasn't even aware, hadn't checked.  Then a large group checked in across from us that unloaded 2 loud Harley's and two small motorbikes, immediately turned the music up LOUD and road laps around the campground on the Harley's for hours.  They set two large tents up completely off their campsites - one of the group actually slept on the picnic table all night.  There were times no one was in the gate house (there wasn't a gate though) so there was no control on who came in and out.  My last trip here I'm sorry to say.  It could be a wonderful campground, but it's out of control.

Good quick getaway

Very friendly staff. Clean facilities and nice playground. Whippoorwill called through the evening which was cool.

Amazing trip

I actually took this trip back in 2017 with a group of random people from my university. It was an amazing campground and hiking experience!

Not bad

Decent amount of space between sites. Some of the sites (ours) were at a pretty big slope so we couldn't drive right up onto it but had to park on the road. Bathrooms were decent. There was a grill and fire ring, but no grate on the fire ring. I prefer to cook on the fire than have to bring/buy coal.

Our first time camping at Sloppy Floyd state park.

Our first time camping at Sloppy Floyd was nice! It was very quiet. There was mostly older people there so I did feel like I had to keep my kids quiet for the older people around us. There were a few kids there but not many. The comfort station was nice and had showers with a washer and dryer. It was also nice that they had ice and wood you could buy from the campground host. The host was very nice as well and loaned our kids some bicycle helmets for the time we were there. It is a very nice place if you want to get away to somewhere quiet and our campsite was fairly large but we must have not gone when there were many kids. They also offer cabins, fishing, and paddle boat and kayak rentals. If you like hiking there are also a couple of trails. The only downside is they did not offer anywhere to swim. Other than that we had a great time!

Great place during lightning bug season!

This campground is great! It has clean bathrooms with showers, fire rings with grill grates, lots of hiking, hike to a beautiful waterfall, huge lake to swim or float on a raft, and the lightning bugs were breath taking!!

We stayed at site #39. Next to the trail that leads to the lake. Next to rest room, trash bin, and water spout. This specific site has the driveway and then stairs to the fire/table/tent pad. We set our large tent on the tent pad and a smaller tent on the driveway next to the stairs.

Pros: No reservation needed. Warmish showers. Hiking. Lake to swim in. Beautiful waterfall. Perfect to see millions of lightning bugs. Easy payment (put money in slip and put in bin, and yes they do check). Pets allowed.

Cons: we had the WORST neighbors I’ve ever experienced while camping! The staff warned them about quiet hours but never came back to in force it. Fire ring grill topper was broke off.

DON’T drive up the dirt path, we made that mistake. Take the regular rode. GPS sends you automatically to the dirt road.

Over all I’m defiantly going to camp there again. Well kept and overall has a lot to offer

Amazing lake views

Red Top Mountain is a nice place, situated right on the lake, with lots of hiking trails, there’s plenty to do, and the scenery is beautiful. The campground is gated, so if you will be arriving late, you’ll need to call and get a code. Also, they require a two night minimum on the weekends when you book online, however if a site is only open for one night, you can call the park directly and they will book it for you.

The campground is mountainous and wooded, and the sites are very spacious. Many of the sites have lake views, and several are lake front, some you can even drop in a kayak. The campground has lots of large rocks throughout, just like the terrain of the area. We stayed on site #56, and had a great view of the lake. The tent pad in that one was huge, so we had way more space than we even needed.

My only complaint was the bathhouse was in desperate need of a major renovation. Cracked tiles, broken door handles, rotting wood on the stall doors, etc.

Beautiful Park

Cloudland Canyon State Park is located in North Georgia at the end of Lookout Mountain. The views there are breathtaking! There are trails to a waterfall and several overlook spots, perfect for pics! The campground is divided into two sections- east rim and west rim, plus there are backcountry sites, pioneer sites, and a yurt village. There’s so much to explore here, I can’t imagine getting bored, but if you do, Chattanooga is just a short 20 min drive.

The campgrounds are gated, so if you will be arriving late, you’ll need to call and get a gate code. Also, there’s a two night minimum on the weekends, however if a site is only open for one night, you can call the park directly and they will book it for you.

We stayed in the west rim loop on site #47, it was a 50amp pull through. All the sites were very spacious, and I love how the fire rings were off the picnic area, and there was a charcoal grill as well. The west rim loop is heavily wooded, so there’s lots of privacy and also lots of good hammock space. The restrooms were ok, nothing special.

The east rim loop looked to be much more open, not in the woods, but it is very close to the main overlook, so there could be some really nice views there.

The yurt village looked really cool, I’m hoping to stay there sometime. The bathhouse in that area looked really nice too.

I really love this area, and the camping is great!

Lakeside Camping

We stayed at this campground on the lake while coaching a tournament in Atlanta. The spaces were spread out with plenty of shade and canopy cover. The bathrooms were clean and fairly up to date. I arrived late after coaching a game so had to park and walk into our pop up camper which was pretty annoying. I would love to see them add a gate with a code for late entry/arrival. And to be completely honest the gentleman working the front gate was an absolute prick to my wife when she was pulling the pop up in on her own. It’s unfortunate a campground can be so nice but hire people who are arrogant, egotistical, unsociable and frankly disrespectful. I still give this campground a 4 star rating in hopes they will maybe do some PR training or hire some people who actually help their guests enjoy their stay!

Plenty of options in this State Park Campground

If you are looking for options this State Park has a little bit of everything. This is an extremely large campground spread out all over the park. We stayed in the west rim campground and the sites were giant and secluded. Bathrooms were nothing special but clean and accessible. There is plenty of canopy cover in this west rim whereas the east rim was far more wide open, without much cover. They have Pioneer/walk-in sites, a Yurt loop as well as cottages. The sight seeing and hiking is awesome in this area. There is a day use area for those who just want to checkout the main overlook and or waterfall. We are most certainly looking forward to coming back to this campground and state park to explore. If needing a campsite near Chattanooga it is close enough even though it’s located in north Georgia. Be sure to do some exploring and at least check out the overlook!

Love this campground

Great site.  Easy to navigate around sites.  Lots of shade.  Close by Occoee White Water center where the Atlanta olympics took place.  Plan your visit around the water release.  There schedule is online.  Pretty cool to see the water trickle and then  mass if water come at you.

Great view of the lake!

Site 74 is easy to back in and has plenty of shade in the evening. Great views.

Plenty of Waterfront View Options

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Red Top Mountain State Park. The campground itself is spread out with large sites. There are plenty of options for waterfront sites and most all sites are shaded with canopy cover. Our site specifically that we chose 56, was perfect for our roof top tent. We parked on a flat pad below a small staircase up to a tent pad surrounded by large boulders and equipped with a picnic table and fire ring. Firewood laying around was abundant. My only complaint about this campground were the comfort station showers. If you don’t need or desire to shower I would have zero hesitation sending anyone to this campground. However if you desire or need to shower as my wife and I do, be warned they are disgusting. They are probably the worst I have experienced anywhere as far as cleanliness. They serve their purpose as far as sufficient water pressure and hot water but outside of that, they are far from pleasant.

Well maintained w/beautiful view

Very nice campground, clean and well maintained. We love coming here for the weekend! Variety of sites from very shady to full sun, level sites, great amenities!

A North Georgia Classic

This popular state park is the jumping off point for hikers headed to Maine on the Appalachian Trail as well as those hiking to Len Foote Hike Inn. The vistas at the lodge are worth the trip inside and there are great viewing decks where you can eat your own picnic or packed lunch. The Maple Restaurant is also inside. There are cottages and campgrounds. The campground sites are nice and roomy for RVs and the loops contain a covered pavilion and horseshoe pit. This is a hiker's state park with lots of trails from moderate to strenuous. The Falls are the real centerpiece with a set of stairs leading to the top which is incorporated into the AT approach trail. There is a also a small reflection pond where people can fish. I went in the middle of the week in the summer and it was not crowded but it is clearly a place that can get crowded due to its popularity. It's an easy car camp trip that gets you high enough in elevation to cool off a little in the summer but is not too far of a drive from Atlanta.

Beautiful Lake

We camped in the campground and accessed the lake through a trail. The beach was beautiful, but rocky so bring water shoes if you like. The rentals for kayaks and stand-up paddle boards is rather expensive. We left ours at home due to space. SUP and kayaks were $35. For two of us it wasn’t worth the price. Sunsets are picturesque. No alcohol allowed and the gates close at 8pm in the parking area. The boat ramp is convenient and a good spot to watch the sunset, but there is no parking in that area. Bathrooms were clean and well kept.

Not something you would expect

This is a new listing, just opening up so some of the details are being finalized. We stayed here in late June and got a sneak preview. The shelter is made from an old, HUGE air conditioning vent. Have you ever looked out a hotel room window onto the roof of a building and seen those large curved intake structures? That's what this is made out of. It is no frills. Just the structure built on top of a wood platform with screen mesh to help control bugs. There are nice, cushy mattresses to lay down on. Other than that, there isn't much room for anything else; it is a place to put your head down. A short walk away is an outdoor composting toilet. There is a community firepit and some amenities you share with the treehouse next door (slackline, swing, and slide). If you are looking for a different place to rest and want to spend your time outdoors, this is a nice alternative to an expensive hotel room.

Quiet Retreat

Morganton campground is an ultra quiet campground. Sites are spaced apart and vary in size and beauty. We stayed in site 1 which was next to the host, newer bathroom, and the trail that led to the recreation area. Some sites are wooded while others are on the lake and have private access. The host will deliver wood and ice to your site as well. When you arrive, if you have reservations, you head straight to your site and the host will come to you for check-in. If you are walk-up you simply find an unreserved site, claim it, then go check-in with the host. The atmosphere is super relaxed and the hosts are very pleasant. The wildlife is abundant with various birds and chipmunks as well. There is no alcohol allowed in any area of the campgrounds. I highly recommend this campground and we will be back to enjoy it in the future!

Wanna feel like a kid again? (A playful treehouse in the NC foothills)

My family of three stayed here for one night in late June. We got in a little late, around 7:30 pm, after we met up with some friends for dinner in Murphy.  My one regret is that we did not get here earlier to allow more time for play during daylight hours. If you are not entertained at this site, you are not trying hard enough. There is an amazing amount to do in this small space. First is the treehouse itself. You can get up into it by climbing up a spiral staircase or up rungs on one of the support logs. To get down you can go down one of two slides or shimmy down a firepole. Inside the treehouse are two twin bunk beds and one fold out cot. The space inside is rather small. With the cot folded out there was barely any room to move. However, since you will only be inside to sleep, it works. The beds were fairly comfortable, though the top bunk is quite close to the roof. I slept in the top bunk and my husband slept on the bottom. Every time I would turn over in the night I would hit my knee on the roof and wake him up.  :)  There is also a small table, first aid kit, candles, and a composting toilet with a curtain in the corner.  The toliet was a bucket with a seat, and not being used to such a small, low potty, it was a little uncomfortable, but doable. The treehouse is not sealed - the roof is sound but there are spaces between the planks on the sides (screen has been placed over the sides to help control bugs). The windows have cloth hangings, and one of the entries has a closing door. The other is wide open. Being summer, I was worried about heat and bugs, but I didn't have a problem with either. We were provided two battery-powered fans to keep us cool. By the time they died it as late enough that heat wasn't a problem.

Now that's I've described the treehouse, let's talk about the rest of the site. Underneath the sleeping platform is a ground floor platform with a hammock and small propane stove with pots. A water cooler and trash can are also here. A few steps away is a firepit, and a few chairs, with provided firewood and marshmellow-roasting utensils. For play, there are hula hoops, a half-buried tire to climb on, a slack line, and a tremendously cool rope swing. This swing is about 30 feet high, and to start to climb up to a platform 5 feet above the ground. When you swing, it is a huge pendulum. What a thrill! Next to the treehouse is a homemade sled slide (see pics) that is also a blast. Down next to another rented space (the Hollar House) is a small zipline. Up the hill are blackberry bushes. So like I said, lots to keep you happy and entertained.

The lows: There's always got to be a couple things about a place that I wish could be better. For us, it was the Hollar House. The folks staying there came in at 9:30 pm and their headlights showed right into the treehouse. When they spent a minute or two turning around their car in front of the house, the lights blinded us at the campfire. And when they turned on the string lights on the porch and went inside, it was too bright to enjoy being around the campfire. I went over and kindly asked them to turn the lights off, since they weren't outside anyway, and they graciously obliged, but other campers may not be able to or want to approach strangers to ask them to turn off lights.

The highs: Besides the cool swings and slides, the owners were most definitely the best. Emilie and her two sons were very friendly and helpful in greeting us and getting us squared away. Her youngest son was the same age as my daughter and they had a great time playing together. She gave us bowls to collect blackberries and showed us how the swings and zip line worked. Awesome folks.

Overall, would recommend. Don't come here expecting a 5-star suite. It is tight and rustic. But it is a lot of fun!

So peaceful

My daughter and I went camping here for 2 nights right on the beach it was like having the beach all to ourselves. We went on a weekday so the people at the front actually let us switch sites so we could get the one we wanted since we booked over the phone before looking. That spot wasn't available this weekend but all the sites are by the water just cant go jump in right there and you can drive to the beach in the campground in seconds or walk.

Beautiful State Park

Beautiful State Park with roomy shaded sites, many of which are creekside. A large lake for fishing and swimming is at the front of the park and it offers canoe and paddle boat rentals. Lots to do on-site such as walking trails, hiking and fishing, playgrounds and a Conservation Corps museum. Trahlyta Falls is an easy walking path, and the park also offers nice cabin rentals. There are no sewer hook-up, but it does have an easy access dump station.

Great for seniors

Special Federal lakefront RV Park. Reasonable fees too

Glamping in an award winning green facility 5 miles off the grid

I have always wanted to visit this place and it did not disappoint. The 5 mile hike starts inside the Amicalola Falls State Park and for a bit shares the trail with AT approach trail to Springer Mountain. The entire Hike to the inn is 5 miles and takes around 3-4 hours. the trail is not strenuous but for one section towards the end and offers vistas to the south but is mostly shaded. I hiked in June the day after a drenching rain and enjoyed the cool vapors of galax in the air with early blooming Mountain Laurel. The temperature at the inn is a god 10-15 degrees cooler than Amicalola, which is welcome in the summer heat.

If you are planning to backpack up to this spot, you should know that you will need very little once you get there. They have hot showers with soap, linens for the shower and bedding, snacks and drinks on hand, a hot dinner and breakfast. They even will pack a lunch for you the next day for your hike out (for an additional fee). There are signs saying that it is a cel phone free space but they seem to not enforce this as people were taking pictures. There is also a solar powered charging station for your devices. The signs really just encourage people to unplug and use technology sparingly.

The facility consists of 4 buildings- the bunkhouse (where you check in and has a nice lobby), the bathhouse, the dining hall, and the sunrise room. The facility is 70% run on solar power. At 5 PM, a staff member offers a tour of the facility and describes the numerous sustainable practices that the inn uses. At 6 PM is dinner, they ring a bell so you don't have to watch the clock. Then at 7 pm there is a staff led educational program in the dining hall.

There is a lovely spot to watch the sunrise and the staff actually walks the area outside the rooms just before sunrise with a soft drum that alerts visitors of the sunrise, but I did not find it too jarring for those who wish to keep sleeping. There was however, a slight "hum" to the building that went on all night that appeared to be the evaporation fans for the composting toilets. It was not too bad but might impact light sleepers.

The price is high for a family of four when you think camping or even glamping. The inn offers group programs for students at special rates and also has half price sales in mid summer but a family coming for a night at regular price is looking at around $600. I prefer this as a solo getaway for that reason but it is worth a splurge with your family if you can catch the half off rate.

Simple campground for John C. Campbell Folk School students

Note: This campground is for students and instructors only.

My family and I stayed here for a week while I attended a class at the Folk School. The concept of the folk school is community and simplicity. Both are evident in the campground. The sites are simple spaces running near parallel along the outside of the main road. Some are deep enough to accommodate RVs up to 34 feet long, others would only fit the smallest of RVs. All RV sites have water, sewer, and electric hook-ups but they are located near the front of the site, so make sure you have enough length in your cords and hoses. Because they are located on the outside of a wooded loop, all sites are shaded. The bathroom is located in the center of the loop and is decently clean and of good size. There is also a covered pavilion and a community fire pit (individual sites do not have fire pits). The wifi signal is of decent strength and speed.  The campground is located a 5-minute walk away from Keith House and dining hall ( a lot closer than some of the other housing). The path is illuminated at night, though the stairs are in need of a little TLC. The tent sites are a little tight and do not have hook-ups.

Since the campground is here for the folk school, I think it fits the bill. It's not a resort, just a place to relax and rest your head when you aren't in class. The 3/5 stars is in comparison to other campgrounds, the size of the RV spaces, the configuration of the utilities, and the repair work some of the stairs need. Overall, I was grateful this campground was here to support me attending class.