the dyrt
Carters Lake, GEORGIA
Most Recent Carters Lake Camping Reviews
Beware

This is a beautiful area, but I’m sure that there are many campgrounds in the area that are as if not even more beautiful. The manager and owner of the campground are very aggressive and have a tendency to make the experience very unpleasant. Also the farm and none of the campground is organic, the owner is not a certified farm and did not even know what organic or non gmo was. Also the cabins have mold on the wood ceilings and wood work. I will definitely pass on this one for our next trip. Also please go to the Cherokee Heritagr website and the county assessors web page and you will learn that this land is not in trust nor was it even Cherokee land. This is a sham playing in Native American heritage and while living. Also there is no restaurant, the laundry room and bathroom/showers were closed down, the store was a joke, we went to buy milk and they sold us rice milk that we later learned had already been opened and was out of date. The place is very run down and not up kept for the cost. The site fee is also 55 a night and 5 extra for each pet per night.

Great Campground

Very nice wooded campground on Lake Lanier, very spacious sites, many on the lake. Water and electric with a dump station. Dump station very easy to get into. Nice playground for the kids, Over the air TV worked great. Only reason for the 4 stars is our site was not level, took some work to level our rig. Also our site needed a little TLC. I did notice them updating sites. Defiantly worth a stay

Wonderfully forested and friendly campground

I stayed at this campground in 2013 (3 days) and I have scheduled to go there again for a week in May 2019.This is a KOA and even though I normally am not a fan of KOAs this place is very different. It is small and heavily treed so the campground does NOT look like a parking lot. There seemed to be amble space between sites. There is an awesome gold-bearing creek alongside the camp which is too cool. The place is pet friendly, the owner is awesome, the price is reasonable. There is an acre field for dogs to be off leash and run, you can tube in the creek, they have nice cabins. The bathhouse was older when I was there but from what I understand it has been remodeled in recent years….but I don't go camping to explore the bathrooms so I don't really care about them. This is a great family site and it is fairly quiet, so if you are like me and you camp to GET AWAY from noise and drama, then this is the place!!

Great Family campground.

A family owned and operated, 11 acre full service, pet friendly camping facility. We are conveniently located just 20 minutes outside the historic town of Murphy North Carolina, at an elevation of 1850 feet, surrounded by mountains! Closer to the natural beauty the area is known for. We are nestled in the center of a peaceful valley with a 360 degree view of the mountains that surround us. The campsites border the many bubbling streams that pass through our valley.

A Full Service Campground, we have 2 separate bath houses with private individual bathing facilities, 3 Bunkhouses as well as Primitive sites.  We have a large pavilion for your group meetings, family reunions, fully lighted with electricity available.

Wet Weekend

Visited in February and it was a wet sloppy weekend, LOVED IT ! Of course no water sports due to the weather. I saw some fishermen and I know they have paddle boats to rent. I also saw a handicap accessible fishing pavilion. At the campground I ended up with a pull through site . I love the set up of the campground. It is a winding, hilltop, one way road through the campground which adds to the privacy of the sites. There are double sites to pick from and a nice handicap site next to the showerhouse. At the far end there is a playground and one site right behind it. So be careful not to pick it if you don’t want to listen to the raucous noises of children. There are a couple of trails to pick from, two circle the lakes. One connects to the Pinhoute (don’t ask me to pronounce it)and there’s a trail to the Marble mine. The cabins don’t allow pets , they are nice structures with full amenities and decks. The pioneer structures would be cool for a group event. I did not hike to the primitive campsites. Rain, mud and mess aside we had a good time.

Nice

Very quiet in winter

Great camp sites

The camp sites are big and really enjoyed the campground.

Only RV

No tents just for RV

Backcountry #5

Our absolute favorite spot is #3 but we were very happy with #5! They went to an online specific reservation system now so no more guessing which spot you'll fight for. A long side trail off the main loop, you'll get some mountain views between the winter trees and climb up to what feels like the top of the mountain. Very private. There's a nice flat spot for the tent and plenty of running space for the pup to play fetch. The picnic table is right next to the fire pit which was nice and I was able to hang my hammock up on the other side! The only downside is your water source is down at the main loop so you'll want to get that on your way in or out.

There's a little trail that leads to the park border and private property I assume.

Ocoee Outdoors Rafter Campground

If you float the Upper, Middle or Lower with Ocoee Outdoors ask if you can stay on a tent site or in a lean to. The campground was the former bunk house for the season raft guides until “that guy” ruined it for everyone. Now it’s selectively available for clients upon request and has a full bath house on site. You may end up having the place to yourself which can be a plus.

Hiwassee Outfitters

Excellent sites, small outfitter store with food, drink, sundries. Breakfast & Lunch Diner. Multiple Float Rental types including sit in, sit on and inflatable kayaks. Shuttle to top for put in and take out at camp ground on the river. Clean bath house and hot showers. This is a popular location for the regional university students so expect a bit of a hootenanny to surround and welcome you. If you’re not down with everyone having a good time, choose the Forest Service Primitive sites just up the road a piece

Great campground

During winter campground is very quiet, no power at sites, it does have hot showers.

Great place

Great place

Nice

Well maintained

Large full-hookup RV sites with a few tent sites and several rental cabins.

This is the most well kept campground you will ever find! Very friendly and helpful staff will bend over backwards to help with any issue you may have. Store, game room, playground, mini golf, pool, basketball court, fishing, shuffleboard, and large event building. Something for everyone to enjoy!

Site #15 on the hill is great.

It’s a small campground with very large camping sites and well placed through the area. All sites were really nice and most had separate area for an extra tent and trailer and eating area with fire pit and grill. Well maintained. We had woods directly across from us and no one around us. Bathroom facilities very clean, well kept with lots of light, heat and hot showers. Plenty of activities with hiking trails, 2 lakes for fishing, kayaking and paddle boats. Recommend the Marble Quarry hike. Falls were flowing great due to all the rain we had before. Trails around the lakes are nice and easy accessible. Loved the place and the people at the office were great and knowledgeable.

Top of the Hill

If you love twisty roads and beautiful views This is the place. We went in December and the weather was a little cool and damp but the views were great when the fog lifted. They're great scenic hikes in the park. Bathrooms were clean with very hot water

Wild life

Great camp although we had the pioneer site which is a walk in. And it wasn't posted anywhere. Tough showing up at 9 at night without a view or a way into camp. But besides a walk up a hill it was a great get away. Bobcats, bears, and all kinds of wild life

Blissful, Romantic Treehouse Retreat At the Foot of Lookout Mountain

Just a few minutes from Chattanooga, Tennessee and the trendy St. Elmo neighborhood, Treetop Hideaways is a lovely little retreat at the foot of Lookout Mountain, where there are many great hiking trails and climbing areas, as well as a few tourist attractions like Rock City, Ruby Falls, and the Point Park Civil War Battlefield. Cloudland Canyon State Park is nearby, too.

In addition to the location and the convenience, the Treetop Hideaways crew has gone above and beyond to hand-build two gorgeous, one-of-a-kind spaces. Unlike other treehouses that are glorified cabins on stilts, the Treetop Hideaways really are these romantic little visions tucked away in the branches. They are built with found and salvaged materials that give a romantic, Swiss Family Robinson vibe and kept the project eco-friendly.

Inside, you'll find amenities that are far more luxe than rustic, like velvet sofas, walk-in showers, and fluffy rugs. It's very Instagram worthy and magical, with twinkle lights, comfy beds, and beautiful floor and wall finishes. The bathroom in one treehouse has a floor made of shiny copper pennies! Talk about glamping.

I also really like how the Treetop Hideaways crew is very community oriented. Every year since they opened, they throw a huge bonfire party called the Christmas Tree Burn down in the meadow near the road. Last year, they lit the bonfire with a rocket attached to a zipline! Everyone cooked smores and hot dogs over their old Christmas trees, drank beer, and got to know their neighbors.

Even if you aren't visiting on that particular date, you can enjoy a fire pit area and s'mores thanks to the welcome package for guests. Pop into town for a local growler from Oddstory Brewing Company, Hutton and Smith, or Heaven and Ale, and grab some cheese and charcuterie from Blue Fox and bring it back to your treehouse for a picnic out on your balcony.

Great hiking near Atlanta

We visited this park a few weeks ago with friends and had an amazing time! The park is set up on the land of an old factory that used the river to power a water wheel. There are a whole bunch of trails of varying difficulty and length that meander through the woods along the river. Along with the campgrounds there are also picnic benches and large group areas where you can host a lunch or dinner. We took the trail that shows you where they built the mill then goes along the river for a while. It was a beautiful hike but definitely challenging since there are a lot of rocks you have to climb over. The campgrounds are nice and across the road from the park through you can also take other trails from there that go down and around the reservoir. The amenities are nice and the whole park is well taken care of. I would highly suggest staying the night since it is such a short trek from the Atlanta area.

Okay campground

I wasn't really a huge fan of this campground, but the hiking and outdoor nature was great. We saw tons of chipmunks around, they were definitely after our food both at our campsite and hiking. Wish I would have got some pictures of them! We also really enjoyed doing some bird watching and trying to figure out what birds were which. My grandpa brought his bird book, so we were able to look in there and find what birds we were seeing. The experience of doing it was worth it! There were definitely lots of different beautiful colored birds. Really enjoyed the hiking and nature walks. The paths were so beautiful, I couldn't help but take pictures of it all. Felt like we were the only ones on the paths, because they were bare and we hardly saw anyone. People used on of the trails for trail running, which looked like a ton of fun. We passed a few runners on our way up and back. The views from the top were amazing. The campground was a bit small and dirty. There was garbage everywhere it seemed, and the bathrooms were a mess. Not sure if people using the trails also use the bathrooms, BUT it was gross and smelly. Bring your own toilet paper would be my suggestion and plug your nose! We probably wouldn't come back and stay here again, but would come back to go hiking on the trails.!

Such a cool place!

This campground is so cool, I would definitely come back and stay here! The name of the campground is just so cool, too. There are waterfront campsites which we really LOVE!! You cant beat waterfront and being able to step outside your tent and see water. What also loved was that I didn't feel crammed by other people. There was plenty of room between sites, and going in the summer time I still didn't feel like I was on top of our neighbors. It was a bit loud but didn't bother us. Being able to play in the water was super nice as well. We love camping in places that have water close by to do things during the day. We brought floaties and just hung out in the water during the afternoon to escape the hot weather. We also did some hiking in the morning which was a blast. Highly recommend doing that. The campground was fairly clean, although we did pick up some trash a few times from people leaving their food by the water. This was a little annoying, but we picked it up anyways. There are garbage's around so not sure why people still leave there garbage around. Would come back and enjoy this place again, but would love to come with tons of friends next time!!

Best in the Fall

Cloudland Canyon SP in Georgia is on the top of Lookout Mountain. A small stream runs through the park, and has cut a deep gorge into the mountain. The view down the gorge is spectacular in fall. There are 2 campground loops, walk-in tent sites and a yurt village. The west loop is larger, mostly wooded, with level sites, with water and electric. The east loop sites are closer together, and not as private. The Waterfalls Trail is a steep climb, with stairs down to Cherokee Falls and Hemlock Falls. There is also a cave to explore with a guide.

Great camping in the woods

Red Top Mountain SP is a great place to get away into the Woods. The park is just north of Atlanta, so it gets crowded in summer and fall, so reservations are needed. There is one loop of pull-through sites for large RVs, and a loop along the lake with back in sites. There are also some walk in sites along the lake The sites are mostly level, with water and electric. You can get internet for an additional fee. The park has hiking, boat ramps, swimming beach, fishing and mini-golf. Many years ago there was an iron smelter at the site, and in the fall they occasionally have an “iron pour” so visitors can see them smelt iron.

Great sight, even greater staff

Super quiet, clean, and peaceful campground. The staff are awesome,e and super friendly. Clean bathhouse, great Lake views from most of the sights. Will definitely go again.

Nice camp sites but doesn’t have full hookups

The road intro the small campground is a 25% grade that is incredibly steep. The road in the campground has a very steep hard left angle turn that is difficult to make for a large rig. In my opinion, this is a nice campground for smaller rigs and tent campers. We have a 36 TT and I consider this way to large for this campground. Prices also feel a little high for the campground.

Small campground near Blue Ridge GA

This is a small campground just north of Blue Ridge GA on Lake Blue Ridge. There are many great tent sites right on the water but only a couple of RV sites with direct water access. There are other RV sites with wooded views. It has a fairly new bathhouse that is kept very clean. I really like convinience to the town of Blue Ridge and many other activities in the area.

beauty

great packing trail and place to explore.

family friendly

great place to be with family and friends. easy to get around and great place to explore.

small but nice

this camp ground was a great spot for family and time to just hang out with family.