the dyrt
Abbeville, GEORGIA
Most Recent Abbeville Camping Reviews
Clean & Convenient pit stop off of I75

This campground isn’t super remarkable (lots of RV’s in close proximity, noise from the interstate). But it’s bathrooms/showers are brand new and kept very clean. Great pit stop for a few days before we head into the mountains. You’ll find permanent residents here as well as stopping-they campers. Pull through sights are convenient. Horse stables and a goat pasture are also on property. The town of Perry and Warner Robins have all amenities you could need .

Quiet, easy and friendly!

We stopped her for an over night on our way north. This has to be the easiest check in and set up ever! We made a reservation and they were ready with our map and site. It will listed (not advertisements) all the attractions, as well as restaurants, groceries, post office, medical and vet. Everything you might need. The site was both long enough for our rig AND level..a rarity in our experience. While we didn’t use the park wifi, the cable 100 channel TV is more than just your basic 30 channel line up. The laundry room looked clean (didn’t use the showers). While there seem to be many long term campers, there are plenty of spaces for the travelers. We will definitely be using this campground again for our trips up and down I75. Well done!

Words can’t describe!

I wouldn’t keep my dogs there! It’s a junkyard and dump site. Did not stay, just drove through.

Gnats! And frogs

We stayed at the Americus KOA while completing our Canyon Challenge in Georgia. Right outside Americus, GA the campground sites are an extension of the Brickyard Plantation Golf Club and surrounded by the disc golf course.

This summer I had gotten a KOA membership to try it out. Of the KOA’s I stayed in this was by far one of the more spacious ones. I don’t know if it had any larger of an area but the openness of the golf course and surrounding area made it feel much bigger then the others ones I’ve visited. There were plenty of options to walk along the sides of the camping area and on the golf course. The dog park was a small area not really worth taking the dogs off their leads. But there were poo bags if you forgot yours;) Several water areas which I was leery of because of possible snakes. ( and yea I wondered about alligators, lol)

It was not lacking in wildlife! The cute tree frogs were everywhere. Bring your gnat repellent!!! They were horrible. Aside from the annoyance factor I guess it was better then mosquitoes. If you have a screen tent definitely pack it for this trip. In addition the coyotes came through the area , setting my dogs off at about 2 am the first night. There was “something” crying pitifully our second night there. I could not decide if it was a “cat” or possibly a baby raccoon, we did not go looking for it.

The nearby town had the street names of Lee, Jackson and Cotton to name a few and I didn’t really find anything exceptional to bring me back.

We placed our tent on the gravelled square at our site and hung the hammock. The showerhouse and laundry were within 25 feet of our site. The office was about 100 ft away and a community building with kitchen was about 25 ft from us. Very quiet area (aside from the wildlife) other campers mostly stayed inside their RVs.

Loved it

Very nice place to stay. Showers need a little updating. Has a nice pond with a fountain in the middle.

Historic

Quiet. Off the beaten path. Near Douglass, Ga. Abour 30 minutes to Broxton Rocks.

Great Year Round

Allows Horses

Horse stalls and paddocks Available

Near the Perry Ga Fairgrounds

Right off I 75

Keep it moving

Georgia Veterans State Park sits next to Lake Blackshear and shares the lake front with a resort. There is a marina , condos and a golf course on resort side. On the Park side there is the much more desirable campground:)

There are plenty of options to choose from in the three camping “loops”. Some lakeside sites have direct access to the water and in camping area 1 you can get pretty close to the fishing pier. A lot of the sites are pull through , in area 3 all sites are pull through and several of the sites border one of the Nature trails. The primitive walk in tent sites are in area 3. There are two handicap accessible sites and two double sites for group camping(the other sites are close together so this just puts you on the same “pad”)There is shade but definitely more on some sites then others. Not a lot of privacy. It wasn’t real busy or noisy so the open layout wasn’t a major hang up for me. This is definitely more of a “organized”, well maintained, military feel campground. I didn’t get the State Park in the woods vibe at all :)

There are rental Cottages which overlook the water some with screen porches. There is a fishing pier behind Cottage one and two.

In addition there are boocoo recreation activities:

Disc golf (a little over grown)

Pioneer Group campsite

Aviation and Combat Arms equipment

A museum

Model airplane field

Outdoor exercise equipment along with an exercise trail

Nature trails

Archery range

Fishing piers

Large boat ramp

Small boat ramp

Excursion Train

A beach with facilities and shaded picnic area

We only took the time to camp and hike but you could easily spend some time here and do something different every day. I’m unfamiliar with the area and wildlife so I kept the boys on short leashes when we walked in the woods , especially near the water. The trails were nice, somewhat maintained and there was old signage plus benches. Not my favorite this trip but nice enough.

Im trying to be unbiased

KOA in Cordele, Ga is another example of what I don’t usually visit while going camping. I purchased a membership recently to give KOA a fair shake , they do sponsor a camp for kids and offer deals certain months , plus some people like their WiFi while camping AND as a child my family journeyed from Ohio to California one summer in the 70’s and KOA was the thing back then ( no WIFi of course;) but plenty of swimming pools, putt putt golf and evening entertainment.

That being said…..every KOA I’ve visited so far is an “island”, not connected to any outside recreational areas , it may be different in other areas. In Cordele, you had the campground and that was it. You have to drive somewhere else if you wanted to hike, kayak, mountain bike, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, this is my preference in camping, my sister in law loves KOA’s, so it all goes back to what you want.

The facilities were mostly well maintained but the grass was a little high in the tent area, may have just been in between maintenance. There was a small, fenced dog area and poo bags provided throughout the campground in yellow mail boxes. This was a long skinny campground with the pool located in front of the office , the dump station to the right of the road in and the shower facility behind the office. There was also a kitchen with an outside grill available.

We got in after dark and the after hours sign in and site assignment was a little confusing or I was just tired. When I followed the map I had a difficult time following the overgrown road to the tent site and was the only one there. Not a lot of light and not very good boundary markings to my site but no worries I was alone and could have parked longways had I wanted to. It was quiet and we slept well enough. There was electric, a fire ring and picnic table at each site plus plenty of sand, gnats (bring your bug stuff) and grass.

Once again, this all goes back to preference, it is a nice enough KOA but same as the other one I would not want to visit when it’s full, it would be crowded with little privacy.

Great history lesson

If you like history this is a must see!

Cypress trail

This campground has a lake for canoe and paddle boards that you can rent. There is also a great walking trail with cypress trees and swampy landscape. There is also a Lodge to grab a decent meal on your way in or out

Not a campground I’d stay at again

I didn’t care for this campground. Thank goodness we had a site near the front and a larger site. The sites were stacked in top of each other. I paid extra for a deluxe site and there wasn’t anything deluxe about it. The outdoor patio furniture was rusted and falling apart. The fire ring was rusted with holes in it. The bathrooms were really old and dirty. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Home away from home

This little jewel has everything you need for a great time. Plenty of good walking trails and a great petting zoo. I love the old houses, it gives you a feeling of what it was like 100 years ago

Great Campground

We have gone to this campground a couple of times now and every time we go it has been a great visit. We love buying carrots to feed all the farm animals and if you want some good exercise rent one of the pedal boats.

our go to

fantastic park! bathrooms are always spotless. nice paved roadway. gravel sites all of them pull through. large private sites. the farm is aleays fun for the kids. great place for bike rides too.

right on the water beautiful

located on boy scout slough really nice facility

Peace and Quite

My daughter and I stayed the weekend here in Dec, 2017. It was a nice and peaceful getaway. Nothing really to do but hiking and hanging around the campground. The hosts were great and very attentive to our needs. It was cold at night and they made sure we had enough firewood. The bathrooms were heated and clean. Nice place if you just needed to get away for a few days.

Camping

Very clean and well maintained park. Bring or rent a kayak for water fun. Has natural spring called Blue Spring to explore both the land is private. Eat at the Grill or local restaurants the cove. Sheila

Georgia Veterans State Park, Cordell GA

Great park for family fun. It offers a lake for boating & swimming, a beach for lounging, hiking, golf and Sam's Shortline Railroad tour. There are also restaurants/ bar & grill which during the summer offer concerts. They offer rv sites & pioneer type camping.

Good morning

A pleasant clean camp. Definitely will return when in the area. Friendly staff and knowledge about the area.

Oh the Heat

I rent a little cabin and it was really nice. I usually camp with tents but with the Georgia heat and all the bugs I wasnt going to deal with it this time. I would recommend the same. The cost is fair and they are clean.

Family Friendly

went here for a nice little day trip and a picnic, it was such a great place to let the tots run around and frolic, there weren't many other groups there at the time, so it seemed very private. such a great place to take the family, we will definitely be back!

Primitive Site Bullard Creek WMA

About 8 miles north of Hazlehurst, GA, on a dirt road turn off just before the Altamaha River, this primitive site lies in solitude amongst the loblolly pines. Besides the people who were really loud camping near us, it was a wonderful space. No water or electric hook ups unless you go to the RV site. There are showers, sinks and bathrooms near the river which is only a short walk from the site. There is a boat ramp there and tubing/floating down the river was a popular activity. Bugs weren't too bad thankfully!!

Enjoy the summer

Great place to go for swimming, fishing, camping, or hiking!