The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Elbert , COLORADO

Most Recent Elbert Camping Reviews
Best State Park I've been in

Now… I'm originally from Louisiana, and I now live in Texas, so my standards aren't very high, lol, but the restrooms were impeccable… Clean, smelled clean, and well maintained. The pit toilets we're even moderately comfortable, but I admittedly drove down to the comfort station bathroom twice in the night. It's far enough away from everything while still allowing you to drive to a pizza parlor in town for a nice dinner and a beer.

Perfect grounds for City plus nature

I typically rate campgrounds as they fit into 1 of 5 categories. This campground will be rated as a Regional/Public Park — Grounds that are on public lands, and have a cost for entry and/or overnight stay. Ratings for this category are based on: Cost: 5 Allure of the park/lands: 4 Amenities as available (bathrooms, showers, hookups, etc): 5 Layout and privacy of sites: 5

We absolutely loved this park. The campground recently got an update and so the visitor center and layout are new & improved. It’s a huge park with 4 separate camping areas. We stayed in Loop A with full hookups, about 1/4 mile from the marina. Privacy was excellent, barely visible to the neighbors on the next road and far enough separated from out NextDoor neighbors (at least 100’). The grounds are level and paved and include a nice gravel picnic area and fire pit. We didn’t use any facilities, but they dotted the entire campgrounds.

It’s worth noting that in addition to the $30/night fee (for FHU) you must also pay $10/day for a park pass or otherwise pay $80 for an annual, which we opted for.

Staff was very friendly. Access to walking and biking trails was awesome and we got on the lake for some swimming and SUP’ing too. The swim “beach” is quite rocky… basically broken dirt clumps, but it made do for the afternoon. 30 min to Downtown Denver and 50 min to Boulder.

Exceptional Fall Scenery

Wonderful walk-in tent camping site in the Turkey Meadow loop. Could view the Aspen trees in full color with Pikes Peak in the background. Peaceful and relatively private the week I was there.

Nice and Clean

Overall great campground with nice spacing between sites. WiFi is free but super slow.

Great Military Community

I live in the area and like to get away in TMee (our LTV UFX) on the weekends. Unfortunately, I had some electrical issues and two retired 4Ns (medics) came by to help me diagnose the issue. While the patient remained on life support, we had a great time discussing our Leisure Travel Vans and the beauty of the RV life. The area has nice spots, plenty of space between each site, lots of space to walk, run, play. Maggie and I had an incredible time despite the electrical issues my TMee had.

Absolutely Wonderful

This is less than thirty minutes from my house, but feels like a world away. Spots are close but private and paved pads make leveling easy. Most sites are pull through along the road and include electric. Back in sites are also available. The campground was full even with the snow and cold in early September. There are very few undesirable spots within the grounds, and the group sites are exceptional.

Vault and flush toilets are available at various locations through the campground, and there is a self-service dump station available at the front of the campground. We did run into the issue of people dumping buckets of waste in the dump station and not washing everything down, so look before you step.

Tent pads are large platforms filled with pea gravel, and include well maintained picnic tables and fire rings. The grounds and campsites are beautifully maintained and wonderful views of the surrounding mountains are plentiful.

Watch out for wildlife and be sure to read restrictions and rules on the maps provided at the gate - use and closures change seasonally.

Great for exploring Denver

This is the first time I’ve found a state park so close to a major metro area!!

Because of its proximity to Denver, Chatfield fills up quickly, so book well in advance. When I stayed in mid September, there was a zero percent chance of a walk in getting a space.

I stayed in Loop B, site 126. This is on what I’d call the “park side” side of the loop. If you’d like views of the lake or mountains, I’d suggest sites like 111 or 112. But this site was the cleanest I’ve ever camped at. The gravel was freshly raked, both around the picnic table and on the tent pad. Some very curious bunnies made their appearance each morning!

The bathroom was very clean, but there was no soap provided for hand washing, nor are there any trash cans within the actual bathroom, which I found incredibly odd. There is also a laundry area just outside the bathroom (which was a god send because I really needed to do a laundry!) and there was a trash can out there. The showers are coin operated and the water comes out almost directly onto the wall; there is no way to adjust the shower head.

There is a trail around the entire reservoir, which is great for a bike or a run, although many die hard road cyclists choose to use the actual street that runs around the park. And, of course, water activities abound.

The two entrances to the park make getting in and out very easy!

Great for a couple of nights.

Nice facilities and clean. Picturesque and on top of a heavily wooded ridge. Some of the sites are more open and give a great view. Pike's Peak dominates the skyline to the east. Walk in sites are quieter with less light pollution from RV porches, I don't know why some campers are lit up like xmas. A bit pricey as the camp fee does not include the park fee.

Wonderful state park

9/25/2020 Pros: this could be a long list but I will give the top pros. Very easy to find, very easy to check in and easy to access sites, back in or pull through. The entire park is very well kept. Sites a spaced apart no crowding. Beautiful cottonwood trees turning colors. Big rigs this is the place for you.

Cons: Have not found any yet.

Maiden Voyage

Just bought our adventure van and decided to try it close to home so we could understand how everything worked. The campground is clean and quiet, I made a quick stop in the facilities and everything was well maintained. I didn’t love the campground feel … I felt like I was very close to other campers. Now that I know our camper van is in complete working order, we will be doing more dispersed camping - trying to get away from it all - isn’t that what camping is all about?