Linden, ARIZONA

Most Recent Linden Camping Reviews
Went backpacking/camping by the Mogollon rim!

Had a great night after backpacking 12 miles the first day. We found a perfect site right by the trail and were able to sleep under the stars in hammocks and even on just the ground without a tent. The area has so many trees to hammock from and provides plenty of wind-blocking so it doesn't get terribly chilly from the wind.

Nice but make sure you don't have a shared site!

Great place with lots to do for just about any age! Camping, dry or with hookups.Some of the pads are made for two campers though, which means the other camper could be less than a foot away. That's fine if it's family/friends, may not be so nice for someone you don't even know. The lake is nice with kayaks, canoes, and paddle boards for rent. Heard fishing is also great, with catfish, walleye, trout and bass.Lots of piers, as well as the lakeshore that you could fish from. And a boat ramp if you have your own boat. we really enjoyed all there was to do on the water!

Solid choice as usual

Decided to do a second review of aspen because this time seems a bit different than past times. Only 1 loop of the campground was open but it sure was much louder than usual. A good amount of the campers enjoyed very music that could be heard from many campsites away so this was unfortunate. Other than that the hosts were kind as always and the site was very nice and open.

Great place to camp hike fish relax

Great place easy access large campsites with a big fire pit grill already built in forest is 30ft away and your walking in the wilderness there are a lot of ATVs around on the weekends so it will be loud and lots of traffic is the only downside but on the weekdays it’s empty and wide open we hiked about two miles into the woods and got to follow a huge herd of ELK ! What a nice surprise for the kids I give five stars dogs kids and adults we all had a blast !

Fantastic

This is a family favorite. We stayed in a new spot this time and will definitely be staying in this one again. Wouldn’t advise a trailer longer than 28 feet and no motor homes. We tried fishing but weren’t successful. Bathrooms and watet spigot is right across the street. You are able to fill up fresh water at camp host spot or the dump station has a spot for fresh water fill up. Verizon cell service is really spotty to no service at all.

Lots of sites!

We drove up to Payson spontaneously hoping we would be able to find a campsite and we went to 4 full ones before stumbling on this one. This one luckily had room and we were thrilled about that. It was $25 for the one night. The site was very accommodating too, they sell firewood at their for $8. The owners of the site also helped us get a fire going when we had trouble. The bathrooms were also clean which was nice. Overall a great campsite!

Amazing Camping off Yound Highway

Big open spots with lots to do nearby. There are multiple places to pull of of this road and camp. This is a pack in/pack out site with trees and fresh air. It is part of Tonto National forest so fire restrictions and usually in place through the summer. Tall pines are everywhere with junipers here and there. You can get some amazing views of the Mogollon Rim depending where you stop.
Forest Lakes and the rim lakes are close by. They are great for kayaking, fishing and camping. The fish hatchery is a fun stop for kids but the hours are pretty specific.

Eh

Just a 1/2 mile on dirt road so that’s nice but the walk in spots for this campsite are SMALL and VERY tight/close together. Not only that but all spots are parallel. This doesn’t make it very convenient unless you are tent camping which we were not. Close to the Mogollon Rim paved path which is amazing, reference the picture for that! The hosts were great…hence why I gave the 4 stars! But I wouldn’t be going back here anytime soon.

Solid campground

Pretty nice campground, especially with the paved roads for the bikes. It also has a cool creek within a short hike, about 1.5 miles round trip. Overall a nice campground but not necessarily some place I’d go back. Mainly because the lack of shade in the space we were in and a few around us.

Nice, but pit toilets are stinky

The sites are very well maintained and for it being so big, you didn’t feel cramped (although it wasn’t full). Perfect site for our first camper tow. Amenities are nice (water/dump station), showers, paved roads throughout, but the campground pit toilets are old and stinky. Will definitely be back, but will probably use our own bathroom. 😬

One of the faves

Aspen campground is our go to campground. It has all the necessary amenities for simple camping. What we like best is the paved roads and the paved bike path! Incredible to take it all the way up to the rim. Only downfall is that some spaces are quite close and reservations are slim to none at times.

One of the faves

This is camping

First time doing blm camping and holy cow!!! I could not have been more pleased. The spaces are so spread out that you feel like no one is around you! Each site is well taken care of and has a campfire ring ready to use. The exploring is endless at 195. Only downside is all dirt/gravel roads so not great for casual biking but overall I would highly recommend and will be going back soon!

Piny air and plenty of isolation

While I'd rather have been closer to the dramatic drop off of the rim, sitting a bit back on the plateau was still a nice break from the valley heat. The site was spacious and quite far from the nearest other sites. I could just barely spot a little flickering flame through the trees for the site to the south of me - an RV was there and I think I heard some young children early in the afternoon - and similarly saw a bit of distant light from the site to the north. These are nicely separated.

Sadly, not as far back from FR 84 (or the Rim Rd. itself) as would be ideal as there was some intermittent traffic noise and light during the evening but not so bad it detracted from the peace much.

There were two rock fire rings at the site but I personally thought one of them was too close to a tree to be usable. The one I did use had plenty of clearance.

Plenty of flat space for a tent and some nicely spaced trees for hammock campers.

Beautiful views, but difficult to get a site

This spot has great views since half of the sites are directly along the Mogollon Rim, but ultimately it can be tough to grab a spot since first come first serve and it’s a very well known, free campsite. The first time we visited and wanted to camp here all spots were taken. There are other spots in the area to camp in the event you don’t get a spot, you just don’t get the view of being on the rim. (See my reviews if you want to know more about FR 84 in the event you don’t get a spot at FR9350.)

The second time we came up we managed to grab a spot on the rim side of the road, spot #30, around noon. We saw one or two vehicles drive up and back the dirt road with gear in the back searching for a spot within minutes of grabbing the site, so how we managed to nab it I’m not sure—the previous campers must have left minutes before we arrived.

Because some of these sites are next to the Rim without any barrier between you and the drop off, this site may not be for those with young children or pets that wish to roam. If you do come with young kids or roaming animals it may be best to look for a spot on the far side, or the side that is not directly on the Rim.

This site has two pit style toilets at the entrance; however, we bushed it. Some sites have a picnic table but some do not— if you are not in an RV or camper and require a camp table, it is best to bring one. (Our site did not have a picnic table when we visited but we did pack a camp table and were happy we did.) In addition, it sometimes has a camp host; I did not notice a camp host the first time we drove thru but there was one there the second time when we got the chance to camp here. We did not encounter any noisy neighbors while we were here. Depending on when you visits, weather may be unpredictable. While weather was perfect during our visit in early July, I have seen and heard weather can change quickly on the Rim. It is also good to know this campsite can be very dusty; so I highly recommend bringing a pack or two of baby wipes and any allergy meds you might need. A headlamp is a good idea too since you always want to be able to see at nighttime being so close to a large drop off. Last, I have Verizon and got service at our campsite.

Great for large group

This would be an amazing spot to rent if you have a large group. There are 2 large Ramadas in the middle of the campground that can be used for a party, dinner, services of any type, etc. all the spots are level and have a table and fire ring.

Good experience

Camped here this Labor Day weekend. Lots of people there but plenty of room. About a mile hike to Woods Canyon Lake. Caught plenty of delicious trout. Overall good experience. I will definitely be camping here again.

The shower spot

This place is a very well maintained campground. The sites are big. Your neighbor is not on top of you. They have bathrooms and showers which are very clean and always kept up. There is a lot of campers that come from other campsites to use the shower.

Aspen Campground

Always a great place to stay in the summer. Usually about 25 degrees cooler in then Phoenix. Close to lakes and creeks along with hiking trails.

Over priced

33$ for a primitive tent site

Woodsy

Site #15 was very open and easy to back into and right by the lake. Good shade. Our spot has a large table, metal fire ring and charcoal grill. The campsite has 26 spots. It’s fully stocked over the summer month with trout. They have kayak rentals available also and electric trolling motors are allowed on the lake. They have a small convenience store down by the lake with some essentials you may have forgot. Closest town is Forest Lake (10miles) with gas and groceries. No service with Verizon at all. Highly advise taking the trail to the rim to one of the lookouts.

Fantastic

Site #102 was very open and easy to back into. Good shade. Our spot has a large table, metal fire ring and charcoal grill. The water spigot is right across the street and the vault bathrooms are just a few spots down. The campsite has 140+ sites and over half are available to reserve 6 months ahead of time. It’s just a short walk to Woods Canyon lake. It’s fully stocked over the summer month with trout. They have kayak rentals available also and electric trolling motors are allowed on the lake. They have a small convenience store down by the lake with some essentials you may have forgot. Closest town is Forest Lake (10miles) with gas and groceries. The entire campground is paved which makes it nice for children who like to ride bikes or scooter around. No service at all at camp

Beautiful campground on Apache Reservation

Boondocking at its finest! Quiet, large campground, easy access to lake, wildlife. Close to town but far enough that it feels like your way out.

Spectacular views and variable mountain weather

First review; very first time camping. I wasn't sure what to expect or if I'd even make it through the one night I'd scheduled (TheWife was confident I'd bail) and when I got drenched to the bone on my afternoon hike, it was even more in doubt. But it cleared up, mostly, and the locale was so beautiful and cool and refreshing I toughed it out.

A mix of smaller and larger, numbered spots with a decent amount of space between. The larger ones easily accommodated trailers/RVs; I think the spot I selected would have been a bit tight for anything more than a smaller popup trailer. The spots on the south side of the road are right at the edge of the Mogollon rim, so they're a bit more dangerous for pets and small children (or drunk adults) but have the advantage of being right on the rim.

I could hear a neighbor who decided to blast their music till too damn late and a bit after midnight someone incredibly inconsiderate drove slowly down the forest road honking their horn intermittently. I'm trying to convince myself they were looking for a lost friend, family member, or pet so that I don't think they were that rude. If you're looking for isolation, these spots won't necessarily give it to you, though some of the larger ones set back further from the road would clearly be better on that front.

Fire rings; plenty of flat space for tents; plenty of sturdy, well-spaced trees for hammocks.

The road's passable for most passenger cars.

Some gorgeous hiking trails right near by, including Drew Trail which you can take down the rim to pick up the Highline.

Wonderful getaway

We have camped at a lot of the Arizona State Parks and Fools Hollow was one of our favorites yet. Everything is very clean and well kept. We stayed in Mallard 8 which has full hook ups, great shade and views of the lake from your campsite. We were advised to go up the channel for fishing as during summer time they rent boats at the boat dock and that scares the fish up stream. We fished with both powerbait and catfish bait. Had success with catfish.

Show low is 2 miles away if you forget any essentials.

Second time here!

So I took my Dobie up and camped for a second time, just the two of us. Went up on a Friday and arrived at 3pm. I got the very last site, all the way at the end of 9350. There were big piles of branches and leaves left from last year when they thinned out the forest. Huge muddy deep ruts in the ground. Very few trees at this particular site. Also quite aways from the actual rim. Absolutely no cell service on this spot. 1.2 miles to the vault toilet, which was an easy walk.

Long story short, not the best site, but I was just glad to nab one on a Friday. Everyone was quiet by 9:30pm. My neighbors were friendly, waving and saying hello and respecting each other's space. Lots of privacy.

Beautiful Lake

Willow Creek Canyon Lake is a peaceful lake with gas motor restriction. I parked on the Northeast side and walked the quarter mile to the lake. Not overcrowded like the boat ramp. Few people fishing, swimming and just relaxing.

Peaceful

Camped up here in November. Got a little cold at night but well worth the recharge I received by being up there. Actually camped on fr 208s but there is no review for it. It will take you right up to the edge of the rim for your own personal view. Picture 3 will show you how cold it got by these ice formed in the tide tracks that were not frozen the day before.

Great spot gone wrong

We camped where is was supposed to be a bit quieter.   Opposite side of lake from toilets.  You couldn't see anyone, but boy could you hear them.  We were about a mile , maybe mile and a half from the lake.  There was a big ( hundreds ) church group, who had a stage for services, and a band ( they were on road to lake / boat ramp, a quarter mile from lake ).   So before dinner Saturday, heard lots of drums and guitar tuning, then there concert.  Spanish Chistian hymns were fine and we appreciated that they unplugged at 9[m, and didn't start up again till 9 am.  Didn't love it, but appreciated they tried to be respectful.

Another group, apparently in retaliation, play rock and roll ( good songs, so kind of didn't mind ) top volume till 2 am.  I sleep well and missed the fight when another group went over to ask them to turn off.

We did mind the gunfire.  Lots and lots of gunfire.  So we do not know how much gun safety was practiced, but it made us nervous and signs clearly marked that not allowed.  Lots of ATV's buzzing around.

On the way out, one large group  ( not the church group ) left a dozen large bags of trash for the volunteers host to haul out.  Plenty of garbage was left not bagged.  The volunteer host said he was quitting, he has alerted state rangers and local police to the repeated gunfire but no one ever comes to enforce.

The lake on Sunday was quiet and great. Stocked and kids caught a fish. The kids had fun.  Maybe we just got unlucky, but overall disappointed.  Might try again as the spot had a lot of potential.

Our favorite place to escape!

Hawley Lake is the perfect escape when you want to get out of the heat. Pristine views, cool weather during the summer and clean facilities almost make you feel like your not in Arizona anymore. Campsites are first come first serve and both times we went in August and there were plenty of spots to chose from. Be sure to get your fishing license and permits in town, it’s a long drive into town from the lake. Bring rope to protect your campsite from wild horses and wandering cows. Overall one of favorite places to camp!