the dyrt
No Pets
No Drinking Water
About Rifrafters Campground
Rifrafters Campground provides tent and RV camping and economy cabins in the woodlands near Fayetteville, West Virginia (WV) -- only two-miles south of the New River Gorge Bridge. Our cleanliness, accessibility, and quiet family atmosphere have earned us a place among West Virginia's most-popular camping areas. You'll also find a friendly full-time staff, exceptionally clean showers and restrooms, and plenty of space for small gatherings and walks in the woods behind the campground. Use our website to explore our camping amenities and find out more about the New River.
No ADA Access
No Drinking Water
No Pets
No Sanitary Dump
Rifrafters Campground is located in West Virginia
Directions
Only 4/10 mile off the U.S. 19 expressway at Fayetteville, we're right in the middle of the New River Gorge vacation area. Eighteen rafting outfitters and countless restaurants and recreation areas are only minutes from your campsite. The New River Gorge Bridge is less than two miles from our campground. From the South via I-77: From I-77 North/I-64 West, take Exit 48 (Beckley/Summersville) to US Route 19 North. Follow US Rt. 19 North about 15 miles to Laurel Creek Road. Turn left onto Laurel Creek Road. Follow road until you see the Rifrafter Campground sign. From the East Via I-64: From I-64 West/I-77 North, take Exit 48 (Beckley/Summersville) to US Route 19. Follow US Rt. 19 North about 15 miles to Laurel Creek Road. Turn left onto Laurel Creek Road. Follow road until you see the Rifrafter Campground sign. From the North and West via I-77 and I-64: From Charleston WV, take I-77 South/I-64 East. Take Exit 48 (Beckley/Summersville) to US Route 19. Follow US Rt. 19 North 15 miles to Laurel Creek Road. Turn left onto Laurel Creek Road. Follow road until you see the Rifrafter Campground sign. From the North via I-79: From I-79 South, take Exit 57 to US Route 19 (Beckley). Go 53 miles south on US Rt. 19 to Laurel Creek Road. Turn right onto Laurel Creek Road. Follow road until you see the Rifrafter Campground sign.
3 Reviews of Rifrafters Campground
Awesome first night

It has tent and RV camping. The managers are really nice and you’re not that far way from several attractions. Some really great beer places close by as well. Nice a shady too. I’d like to go back and do some exploring around the area. Just be careful with what gps app you use. Mine took me an interesting route that ended in someone’s drive way.

Convenient Location

With impending storms, we chose to rent a cabin midweek at Riftrafters Campground in Fayetteville, WV.(riftrafters.com) rather than set up the tent in the rain.

Riftrafters Campground is centrally located in Fayetteville right of Rt.19, close to The New River Gorge, rafting, climbing, hiking, biking and some good eateries.

We stayed in Cabin 5, which offered a few wooden bunkbeds, one table, four chairs, one door and two windows…that's all you get in a camper cabin. Other cabins offer different bed options. No water or restroom/showers in the Cabins. Pricing is based on occupancy, much like tent camping. Which actually places it close to local hotel/motel lodging. Note: Do not anticipate spotless cabins or odor free, comfortable mattress…without heat or AC things tend to get musty.

Riftrafters Campground offers RV/Camper sites (13) which have water and electric, Cabins (8) no water, but has electric, and several tent areas which are rated primitive. I recommend securing reservations by telephone.

There is a covered picnic shelter and the showerhouse/restroom is clean, well-maintained and centrally located.

Within two miles you can enjoy breakfast at Tudor's and lunch/dinner at the Secret Sandwich Society…both of which we frequented. For outdoor equipment needs, I prefer Waterstone Outdoors (waterstoneoutdoors.com), but there is another new business that recently opened between Tudor's and Secret Sandwich Society (secretsandwichsociety.com).

Obviously, you will search the web for whatever activities you want to engage in, but I recommend paying a visit to The New River Gorge Canyon Rim Visitor Center on the NE corner of The New River Bridge. Rangers there know most of the best trails to hike and how to get there. The Park is 70,000 acres, after all. I'd also recommend Class VI River Runners if you plan on hitting the New or Gauley Rivers…(class-vi.com). Hint: If you really are looking for an experience…run the Gauley in spring or fall during the dam release.

There is really so much to do in this area that a week is just too short. I gave Riftrafters 4 stars based on their proximity to local activities, but believe they could do much to spruce up the cabins.

Nice spot in the NRG

Great location for activities in the New River Gorge. There are different sections within the campground and some are more crowded than others. There are some sites "way out back" as the owner says that we tend to prefer just for privacy and there is more distance between you and your neighbors. The office has cheap firewood and your typical amenities if you forgot something but not a huge selection. Bathhouse is very large so I've never had a problem finding an open shower or stall. It's only a few minutes away from a TON of stuff to do/see. Since there isn't open camping in the gorge, this is the next best thing. Highly recommended!