The best WALK IN camping near
Whittier , WASHINGTON

Most Recent Whittier Camping Reviews
Beautiful Getaway Close to Seattle

Loved Kanaskat Palmer. Stayed in spot 13 - each site seems to have a trail connecting to the outer trail that runs along the river. Big entertainment for three boys who explored the woods and played on the rocks and in the eddy pools at the public river take-out. Bathrooms are super nice - each is private with a shower. Camp staff were pleasant and helpful.

Alpine camping in Washington State

Nestled in the mountains with a German Bavarian feel this is a wonderful, peaceful, and wooded campground.

Fishing abounds, winter sports are nearby and the town of Leavenworth is an awesome place to visit anytime of the year.

Convenient location near Seattle

As always, KOA park personnel are helpful and welcoming. This KOA appears to always be busy but there were plenty of spaces. We had made our 4-day long reservations a week in advance in mid-April. The site had an asphalt pad and grass, but was narrow. The power post was in good shape along with the water service. The sewer connection was topless but serviceable.

The welcome pamphlet has no rules on it but frequent campers should know the usual courtesies anyway. Our space was a pull through with 30-amps. We have a 35’ fifth-wheel and a Ram 3500 truck with an 8’ bed. The truck and trailer fit nicely. Unfortunately I didn’t park back in my space far enough to leave room for my unhitched truck and had to park with my wheels partially on the grass. We left the park for some activities and received a polite request to either park so we wouldn’t have our tires on the grass or use the overflow parking. Reminder received and corrected.

The location is excellent. Close enough or far enough to Seattle if you need to go there for some reason. I recommend avoiding the city of Seattle for any reason. The city council and mayor are doing their best to destroy this once beautiful and welcoming city.

Disappointed

I didn’t call ahead but when I got there the gate was locked mid day 4/6/21. Very close to the freeway and didn’t look like much to do. Was hoping for something close to water.

Great hiking! 30’ RV, dry camped

We went here in October and dry camped with our 30’ Motorhome so not the typical experience others would have in a true RV site. I only took away a star because it was advertised as ok for a Motorhome but the gravel pull through was so not level the jacks pushed the front tires 6 inches off the ground. But there was lots of private space and the trails were beautiful as they wrapped around the river. Lots of great fishing spots.

Quaint little campground

Great little campground. Along a little river but not right at campsites. Crawdad along banks at night. Lots of bats at night. Right off of highway. Restroom with fresh water access. No electricity, no on site manager/ranger. No cell reception for t-mobile customers. Burn bans in effect typically in the late spring to early fall dependant of course on the amount of annual moisture in the region. Sold out prebooked for most major holidays. Good idea to book ahead of time by calling the local ranger station. High cougar population so keeping an eye on pet's and smaller children a must especially around dusk and after dark. Also bear area. But our family has never had any problems nor seen any large predators when we do our annual family camping trip there. Also be sure to do any last min. Shopping in cle elum because there is nothing as far as retail grocery stores past this point and it's about a 45 min drive each ways to cle elum. There is a final gas station about 10 mins drive from the campground that has basic camp supplies and ice. High prices for the convenience. And they close at 9pm if my memory serves me correctly. Beautiful area. Very peaceful.

A phenomenal rustic campground, if you plan around mosquito season.

Day 1-2: GORGEOUS!!! Perfect sunny & breezy weather, insane views from the campsite. Very quiet and only a handful of first come first serve sites. Simple toilet facilities. Fire rings. All the makings of perfect car camping.

Day 3: The wind dies down and OUT COME THE MOSQUITOS. I camp a lot, I have done backpacking/car camping/overlanding in all seasons and encountered bugs-a-plenty. The mosquito swarms in mid-June are ABSOLUTELY unbearable. No amount of bug spray seemed to matter, they were flying into ears/eyes/mouths and into the flame from the cookstove by the hundreds. Not that many bites for the number of them, but I you will be COVERED in them. We ended up bailing and getting a hotel in Leavenworth for our last night because they were so bad.

It’s... ok

The campground is small but does have bathrooms. The sites are pretty close together. It’s cool to take a walk from the campground to the beach but that’s about it. It’s a small park in the city, nothing else to it.

Also, lots of mosquitoes during summer!

Private and secluded

Beautiful sites all along the lake. Quiet and private- the perfect getaway.

Very Nice, but a coveted site

Very nice spot for a nice get away, but you probably want to get here mid-week. We had planned to just take our kids to play in the river on a Friday afternoon, and the camp grounds on both sides of the river were already full. A nice spot for wading and swimming for kids and adults. fishing, because of the amount of people swimming might not be ideal, unless you hike up or down the river a bit. River is beautiful, and scenery is great! Took my monocular to scan the mountain rocks for the big fella, no luck. Camp sites were very spacious, almost all had multiple cars parked and what looked like 3-5 day gear setup. We did talk to a camper who told us, ‘don’t tell anyone about this spot’. So it seems like it is coveted to some, which might make it tough to secure as a first come first serve. Also, not very far at all from Roselyn if you want to get a burger or ice cream. Good-luck!!