Fern Ridge Lake, UTAH
Camping Utah Fern Ridge Lake
Most Recent Fern Ridge Lake Camping Reviews
Hidden Gem in Utah

This is one of my favorite campground in the entire country.  Whoever designs and maintains it really understands what campers want all in a setting that lets you have classic Utah views while camping.

We were in the basin campground.  The campsites themselves range in size and ours (#23) was roomy but in a part of the camp loop where we were surrounded a bit by the road. There is good spacing between sites and some low trees for shade and a visual break.   If you have big tents, you'll definitely want to scout out the best site.  Some of the outside ones had a short walk-in (30 feet) but almost looked like camping out in the desert.  No-see-ums in July were bad around breakfast and dinner time but went away the rest of the day.  Off-season, we didn't see any.  Temperatures went into the 40s in July which made for very nice sleeping after the heat of the day.

The showers are maybe the most notable difference- neutral woods and rainforest heads create and almost spa-like setting. Considering how many Utah campgrounds have no showers at all, this is a great break if you're on along trip in the area. Outside the bathrooms is a nice dishwashing sink.

The campground is set in a basin, surrounding about 270 degrees by low Utah mountains.  There are a few interesting hikes right in the park and also lots of low clambering on the rocks for kids.  It is remote enough to have great night skies with clear milky-way views.  We used this as base camp for Bryce, which is about 40 minutes drive away.

WOW

Great spot to relax

Mammoth Creek camping area

This place is absolutely beautiful! Tons of trails around to explore on, multiple places along the creek to check out and explore some more. And if fishing in a creek isn’t your thing Panguitch Lake is about 20 mins north and Duck Creek (which you probably came through) is about 20-30 mins back down the mountain. By far one of favorite places to go!

My favorite campground!

This place is seriously my favorite campground. A visit/stay during the wild flower season is something you’ll never forget. It is the perfect peaceful getaway and the cool weather is a nice escape from the Las Vegas heat that we live in. There are easy hiking trails that take you to different view points of the Breaks. This campground is tiny, but it has flushing toilets and free showers! They also provide chopped wood (for a small donation of $3) for campfires. There is so much to do and see in this area, you just need to venture out. Beware, cellular service is limited, we have AT&T and had no service in the campground. But being off grid is perfect for us. And beware the elevation. You may find yourself winded and maybe dizzy after a short walk to the bathroom. Even though it’s cooler and not always sunny, don’t forget your sunscreen!

Great fishing

Kent’s campground is great place to have an RV or pitch a tent. Amazing scenery all around Beaver area. Rainbow trout are average size. Running water and bathrooms all around the campsite. Camp host is very friendly to everyone. Busy on the weekend, during the week not so much. Kent’s campsite done by September 15, not sure when it opens again.

Close to Zion

Operated by the Best Western ThunderBird at Mount Carmel. Only RVs. Full hookups with 50 and 30 amp. Great price. I think $39 with taxes. Along with the site, you also have access to the hotel amenities. The restaurant is know for its pies. River or creek runs behind the shaded sites. Rated 4 because there is no bath house.

Nice, easily accessible campground

This is a nice campground conveniently located only 20 minutes outside of Beaver. We have been here twice and seen deer, beavers, and turkeys. The stars are spectacular and you can see the Milky Way on a clear night. Bathrooms are not great.

Dusty and noisy but plenty of places

There are a few campsites along this road. The road is dirt and that area doesn't get a lot of rain so things are often dusty. Also, the road is the main access to a few areas on the national forest so traffic is a little high at times for a dirt road but not bad.

Wooded, Well Spaced, On a Creek, near a Lake

With 32 sites and multiple additional Group Sites this is a hidden gem near Bryce Canyon National Park.

Some of the best sites are walk in only, but many are reserve-able online in advance.

The camp host sells wood for $7 a bundle and they are smaller sized pieces and there is not any real foraging in the campground (surrounded by a fence to keep out free ranging cattle.  You can forage for firewood in the national forest outside the fence …

Lots of ATV and boaters use this campground

Boondocking is available as you approach the campground and pass it …

This is a great campground

This is a very nice campground.  Most of the sites have shade.  2 of the loops are tents only, which is where we stayed.  Right now, this is the only campground open in the park.  The other one (Sunset) is closed for repairs.  The campground filled up by noon on most of the days, though we left on a Sunday and it was pretty empty at 10:30 am.   I would recommend getting to the campground between 9:30 am and 11:00 am to find a site, then pitch your tent or set out chairs!  This is reduce any confusion as to whether the site has been registered and paid for.  Also, grab a registration envelope as you enter the campground, so once you have pitched your tent or set out chairs, you can pay as you leave to go explore the park.  This is in walking distance to the General Store and the Visitor Center.  The park has a shuttle that helps to get around the park.  Lastly, the General Store has showers ($3 for 8 minutes)

Very bad experience at this campground

My wife and I stayed at the Hi-Road Zion RV campground outside Zion national park in our RV on the nights of 17,18 and 19. June 2019. On arrival at the campground on the 17th, we checked in with the front desk lady, drove to the assigned RV site and connected the RV to the hook-ups as usual. Immediately on connecting to the 50 Amp power, there was a sparking sound, a strong smell of electrical burning, and our microwave burnt out. My wife went to the office to ask if there was anything wrong with the power, and was told“Oh you shouldn’t be using the 50 Amp connection, didn’t anyone tell you(they didn’t)”. She was then told by the office that my e-mail confirmation of the reservation had included a statement that only 30 Amp was provided(the e-mail confirmation had no such statement). She later checked the Internet information, from where we had the link to Hi-Road, and it clearly stated 30 Amp and 50 Amp available. I checked the other RV sites on the campground and many had the 50 Amp connector taped off with duct tape. Ours did not. The owner of the campground, Erika McLaws, graciously accepted responsibility for the problem and agreed to replace the microwave. Following the burnout, the Hi-Road maintenance man put large notices on all the RV sites saying 30Amp only, and disclaiming the campground from any responsibility in the event of damage from the 50Amp connector. On leaving Hi-Road, we travelled to Page in Arizona, where we found that the forward air conditioner was also not working. The problem was investigated by RV Country in Flagstaff and they confirmed that the air conditioner had suffered the same damage as the microwave. We informed Erika. Both the microwave and the air conditioner were finally repaired in Yuma Arizona, and we submitted copies of the bills to Erika with a request for reimbursement. The response from Erika and her husband Todd was to deny responsibility and claim that the 50 Amp circuit could not have been to blame. Obviously we could not accept this. For two weeks, all attempts to contact Erika were unsuccessful. Calls to her personal phone forwarded to a voicemail which was always full and could accept no further messages. E mails were not answered. Messages left at the campsite were not answered. Finally, on 12. July we received another e-mail from Erika and her husband fully rejecting our claim for reimbursement. We must evidently take further action to achieve settlement. The campsite itself is in a good location, but can best be described as quite primitive, possibly at the start of improvement. The ladies at the front desk are very pleasant, but in the circumstances, I cannot recommend this site.

Great site

It was a weird site. The reservoir was pretty low and I’m not sure if people actually go in it even when it’s high. Great shower and toilet. There was a fish cleaning station. A couple of good pull through spots. There’s a cool trail through a petrified forest that was neat. It was a bit long for the kids (elementary and preschool), and they’re not nearly as impressed by petrified deadfall as we were. We hiked Lower Calf Creek falls from here. The campground at the trailhead was is where we’d try to get in next time. There were a lot of ants, they didn’t get into anything and didn’t bother us much. Probably could though if you’re camping equipment is more tempting or your site is more appealing for them.

Most amenities of any campground I've ever seen

We were just looking for a place to sleep, checked out the first camping outside of Zion east entrance and decided to check out the next closest one according to info from the Zion ranger. Info said 2 miles, but more like 7-8. Upon arrival my kids eyes lit up and we booked 3 mid week nights. Free, private hot showers. Dish was station. Free pool and hot tub, ball sports, playground and fitness trail. Pay for stuff like bungie trampoline and rock wall and put put. 2 camp stores recently equipped, even individual beers(4%). Our site was a little small, tent was to close to the fire ring to feel comfortable with a fire. We peaked at the glamping tents and were jealous, maybe next time. Great spot at $30 a night plus taxes etc.

Nice place to camp

This is our third year coming out here for a summer visit. They try to accommodate our last minute changes and we so appreciate that. It’s nice here and we have a pool, a restaurant, there’s even some cabins here if you don’t have a camper or tent. We love it here. I’m sure it will be our annual summer destination!

A great place to be

This 10-site campground is off the beaten path and can be accessed from 2 routes. In the center of the campground is a large meadow with a small walking bridge. The camp is full of Aspen trees and when the wind blows, it’s quite the heavenly sound. It has one large group campsite that can accommodate up to 200 people, if memory serves. The per-night fee for a tent site is $17 and is first-come first-serve, and the group site fee depends on the party size, but I believe the minimum is $65 and is reservable.

It should qualify as a dark-sky place, as you can see millions of stars at night, and the Milky Way is quite clear. It is also fairly quiet at night, with occasional owl and cricket sounds.

The camp hosts are currently Mike and Cindy and the quiet hours are from 10 pm until 6 am. We found that to be a bit too early because the sun sets at 9 pm in the summer and dusk/twilight lasts a good deal longer than 9 pm.

When we arrive early enough, we head straight to site #10, as it is the one most secluded and feels the largest. There is also a one-person bathroom right next to it. It does not flush and there is no sink, but there is zero smell. There is also a water pump a few yards away. There was formerly a tree see-saw in front of this site, but it was broken when we last visited (7/5 through 7/7/19). Some of the other sites are quite lumpy, like sites 6-9, but if you have an air mattress they aren’t too noticeable. We did see a few skunks at night a few years ago but none this time. They are harmless and are looking for food in camp if some was left out. They do not see well, so they will walk close to you if you stand still. There are also deer to be seen in early morning and evening.

We have camped here 2 or 3 times and find it to be a favorite. We have not used the group campsite yet, but were informed they no longer carry insurance that covers horses, so they are no longer allowed in camp. There is also a small kids’ pond for fishing nearby at Wood(s) Ranch. Adults are allowed to fish as well, but are encouraged to yield to kids if needed. My son and I caught 6 small trout in less than 2 hours on nightcrawlers/worms and Power Bait eggs, fishing off the bottom from 8-10 am. It is also only about 10 miles from Navajo Lake.

I recommend a stay at Deer Haven campground to see if it has the same effect on you that it does my family. Enjoy!

Breathtaking!

We enjoyed this campground! We traveled in mid May to Arches National Park and unfortunately encountered quite a bit of rain. The campground itself is situated deep in the park and takes about 20-30 min to drive to from the front gates of the national park. The bathrooms are very clean, although no soap is provided (just hand sanitizer) so bring your own! There is also a dishwashing station which is very convenient. The campground is in a perfect spot in the park to do a lot of the major hiking.

The reason I am providing only four stars is due to the location of our specific campsite number. It is out in the open with no form of shade or protection. If you are wanting some protection from the elements (whether that is rain or sun), I would suggest sites 28-49 as they appear to have some trees and rock formations closer to them.

Overall we enjoyed our time here!

So peaceful

This place was quiet and secluded. There was a nice trail to walk. There is a river but it looked to be dried up when we went. The stars are amazing. It’s $5 to camp and it’s first come first serve. There is a water fill up area at the trailhead.

Wonderful Spot

This was a really nice place to stay - very clean around the park and in the restrooms and laundry, the sites are fairly roomy with some shade, nice pool, friendly owner and hosts. We spent three very pleasant nights here. Kanab is about an hour from the Zion visitors center along the very scenic east entrance to the park. Kanab has a nice outfitters store, grocery stores, and adventure tour companies. There is also a small mountain bike trail that was beautiful.

Great Spot!

Perfect location for any size group. Very quiet and serene. Next to a river and close to navajo lake. Had some fire pits and a small bathroom. Awesome spot!

Duck Creek, June, 2019

We choose duck creek due to the proximity to Zion and Bryce Canyon and it was an hour or so from each. This was a nice quite spot, but at the end of June it was freezing! In the mornings it was around 37 degrees, I had to jump in the truck to warm up! No showers or cell service, the bathrooms had running water and were clean. We never found any showers or laundry in duck creek village as the site suggested and there was no one to ask. We found a nice RV park in hatch where we had showers for 5.00 each, laundry was also reasonable there. They had picnic tables and a fire pit which was nice.

Dirt road

See photos

Free

See photos. Views of Red Canyon

Off road

Great place to stay on the way to Bryce Canyon National Park.

All I Have to Say is AMAZING

If you haven’t been to Utah this is the campground to go to! It is absolutely gorgeous! The bathrooms and showers are probably the best I’ve seen in a campsite ever, they are spa like to say the least. The showers have rainfall shower heads and separate hand held shower nozzles. The campground itself is the cleanest we have ever been to and the ranger on site is extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Now let’s talk about the camp sites. We were at site 5 in the Basin. When we drove in to set up camp it was pitch black, there are no lights so bring plenty. The sites are set pretty far apart to where you have privacy as well. Site 5 has trees for shade but there is still sun. The nights get fairly cold so bring items to keep you warm. There is plenty of wildlife in-the campground, with lots of “good looking” spiders that like to come out at night. Fortunately they are more scared of you so if you leave them alone they usually scurry away pretty fast. There are two things to be aware when camping here: the cicadas and gnats. The gnats are awful, we tried just about everything to keep them away but very little helped. Since we weren’t at the camp ground during the day it wasn’t too bad for us, but if you plan on spending time at the site during the day then do some research on how to keep them away. One more thing to add: groceries. There is no local store so you travel to the next town which is fairly pricey. We did our shopping in Cedar City which is about 2 hours away. Our family loved the campground so hopefully yours will too!

AMAZING!!!

Absolutely beautiful. The trees against the sand stone is gorgeous. The lake was so pretty. I can’t even describe how beautiful this area is. There are two loops in the campground. The upper loop is for reservations only. The bottom loop is first come first serve. Bathrooms were clean and water spigots throughout the campground. There are dumpsters at the very end of the road on the way out which is super nice and convenient. A walking trail leads around the lake. Lots of ATV trails nearby. Bryce Canyon is only 30 min away. This has definitely become our new favorite spot.

Panguitch Lake North Campgeound Utah

So I really liked the location of this campground. Only an hour or so from either Bryce Canyon or Zion National park. The town of Panguitch is only about 25 minutes from the campsite. The general store is only about 30 seconds from the camp witch was convenient when needing extra fire wood. Camp Host was nice and knowledgeable about the area. One of the few drawbacks that I had was our campsite did not have a level section to put a tent. I think you you are reserving a tent spot there should be spot that is level to place your sleeping area. Overall it all works and I would still go back

Loved it.

Not many frills, no nothing. But it’s great dispersed/boondocking whatever you want to call it. Great area. Lots of options. Got there late in the evening so couldn’t really explore. 4x4 isn’t a must but can help a lot. Couple downed trees in some spots across the roads. Looking for a quiet remote place this is for you. Anything else probably not.

STAY HERE

Stay here! I am the most frugal person in the entire world so the majority of our SW trip was spent camping. We were so wiped out from hiking adventures and mediocre camping sleep that we were ready to go home early just to sleep. This place was worth every penny for the restoration that it offered and I wish I could had the time to spend a second night here.

Highlights

-we were there the first week of June and I think I only had 3 mosquitos land in me with the a-frame open. I’m from Minnesota, so I basically considered this bug-free

-the solar lighting was magical, I had to grab something from the car and as I was heading back to the tent the lighting started to come to life.

-outdoor showering- I’m definitely a fan.

-the compost toilet was really cool and odor-free. My husband is an ostomate so his business smells more than your average person’s and I was able to go in there immediately after him and couldn’t tell he had been in there at all.

-the bed was big and comfy, I did keep bumping into the bed frame since it is higher towards the top of the bed so be mindful of that.

-the oatmeal bar has made me into a hot oatmeal convert

Great place to take it easy

Did you know that a lot of Airbnb listings have their own websites OFF of airbnb where you can book them for much cheaper since you aren’t charged an Airbnb service fee? I did, but totally forgot to check for this yurt. Shoot!

We checked in to the yurt on our way to Bryce canyon which is half an hour away. The location was tough for us to find, especially considering that we had some traffic behind us so we couldn’t slow down too much as we looked for the driveway. The sign that they have does not have great visibility so we definitely missed the driveway going past it both directions. It definitely helps to familiarize yourself with the buildings on the other side of the road as landmarks if you are going to be coming and going frequently from here. We used a“no passing zone” triangular sign that was kind of by the driveway as our more immediate landmark.

Jeannie and her husband live in the center yurt and are friendly, but they give you your space. Of all of my airbnb experiences where the hosts were on-site they were by far my favorite. It is really hard to find hosts that strike the perfect balance of friendliness. Apparently the 3 yurts on the property used to be an art studio and they have converted the two side yurts into liveable spaces. We stayed in the studio yurt which was cheaper, the deluxe yurt is more spacious and includes a couch and its slightly more removed from Jeannie’s yurt so your deck is more private.  A mini-fridge, microwave, and other kitchen small appliances that we didn't use were available.

The BEST part of this yurt was the view from the deck. We passed up a sunset in Bryce so that we could hang out here instead. My husband spent a significant amount of time taking slow-mos of their hummingbird visitors- there were A TON of them. The other great thing is that there is a washer and dryer. It took me a while to figure the washer out since water would not run unless the lid was closed. It was great to be able to get laundry done in the middle of our trip while we could lounge on the bed watching tv instead of having to go to a laundromat- there is also wifi available! We would definitely stay here again, and if you look at their website you can see some other nearby cabins/tipis that are available to rent.

Our favorite spot so far!

We LOVED this campground. We were really sad that we didn’t find it until the last day of our trip, because we would have easily stayed here for several days. You are right on the lake, it is calm, quiet, all the spaces are mostly private and you can’t hear much noise around you. The trees give great shade and the fire rings are clean and well maintained. The camp host was AWESOME. He was friendly, informative and very knowledgeable about the area. We had such a great time staying here and definitely will again. There is a boat launching site, RV sites, tent sites, and an upper campground in the trees if you like that better! We absolutely loved it here. There is usually running water and running water restrooms but right now it is shut off- hopefully that starts up soon! There is a vault toilet, picnic benches and nice paved spots to park in.