the dyrt
Boyd, OREGON
Most Recent Boyd Camping Reviews
Peaceful place, great sites

Have been to this place a couple of times and love it! There is a campground you can reserve sites at which are large and we'll spaced. You can also stay for free on the BLM land surrounding the lake. (If you do this please leave no trace!)

Hiking around the Clear Lake takes longer than in looks because of all the fingers so allow a couple of leisurely hours.

Its a hauntingly beautiful, chill place. A must visit for fans of mountain lakes!

Not a structured site anymore

Rock Creek Park - Columbia River Gorge is a campground located near the city of Lyle. The campground was maintained by US Corps of Engineers.

As of now the campground is abandoned but there are still spaces available. From this area you will get the best views of both the back country and the gorge.

Better sites elsewhere

In the lovely Maryhill valley is the Peach Beach RV park. I am not one usually for RV parks but this on was ok. It was well maintained and clean. The spots were very close together and little privacy was had. They claim to have a private beach but it seemed like a muddy inlet overflowing with mosquitoes.on the plus side it is right next to a wine tasting shop.

There are many great places along this stretch of highway. This might be one to pass up.

Petroglyphs Galore!!!

When we are in the area we normally stay near Maryhill State Park. This campground was a delightful change to our routine. The site is small but it offers quite a few different ways to camp: tents, RV, cabins even a teepee!! This site is on Horsethief Lake and offers some great summer fun.

One of the best aspects was the petroglyphs that were along trails near the campground. This was a great spot and I highly recommend it!

Stayed a week! So pretty!

This was so peaceful. We tent camped for a week in the summer. Took nice long hike around the lake twice with the kids. The spots are huge, the toilets smell so bad though. Make sure to bring sanitizer definitely. The views in the morning make it worth it though.

Blackberries!

This is where I first picked blackberries 😜. Being from the desert it was definitely awesome to pick them fresh. I loved this state park because of the view and the blackberries of course. We had a great spot with a good amount of space and privacy. The location can’t be beat for watching the kite surfing nearby and we took a tour of session beer that was awesome!

Favorite spot for hiking!

Nottingham is so so beautiful especially for the hiking. You e got Mt. Hood nearby and a river. The tent camping is pretty secluded. We had a spot next to the river and it was so peaceful. The rangers directed us to our campsite and gave us hiking recommendations, which was so helpful.

The toilets were clean, and well stocked. It is easy to find but still far enough away not to hear traffic. This place is pretty perfect. Definitely go on this recommended hikes because the falls were spectacular.

One of my faves!

This campground, Nottingham, is definitely high on my list of favorite campgrounds. It has everything you could want in a campground. Hiking nearby, beautiful Mt. Hood, and a river you can hear rushing at night while you sleep. I also really love how private and secluded each campsite is. Nothing bugs me more than being in our campsite and we can see what everyone else around us is doing and saying. We had a spot next to the river, and it was so peaceful at night listening to the river. The campground rangers are super friendly, and very helpful. They directed us to our campsite, and gave us hiking recommendations to do in the morning. The vaulted toilets were clean, and stocked with toilet paper when we stayed. The campground is easy to find, right off highway 35. It is far enough away from the highway, though, so you cant hear the cars and trucks rushing by. The hiking was really great. I would recommend Tamanawas Falls which was nearby. We did a few others hikes that were really great as well. The wildflowers were out in full bloom (see pictures attached-I took so many flower pictures!!) There are no water spigots in the campground so definitely make sure to bring enough water, or a water filtration system…especially if you plan to do a lot of hiking. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would definitely come back.

Beautiful campground

Easy to access, even for larger rigs. We stayed in 39 foot 5th wheel. Plenty of pull thru spots, full hookups, regularly spaced bathroom/showers. Nice store for basic needs, nice laundry room.

Quiet, rarely full

After spending many weekends in this campground, I've definitely fallen in love with it.

The only time I've seen it anywhere near full was Labor Day Weekend when there's a community swap meet about a third of a mile away. Even then, there were plenty of sites to snag.

There are flush toilets and pay showers through mid September. After that, they bring in porta potties.

Sites have a 5 vehicle max, so they're good for groups. Each site has a water spigot. The campground is dog friendly.

No views of Adams from here, but a quick walk or bike ride away will provide some stunning views on a clear day.

Gorgeous!! Bring hiking shoes & a headlamp.

The only thing missing from this amazing camping spot is electricity and running water. Otherwise, it’s perfect! Absolutely gorgeous view of Mt. Hood, tons of hiking, a beautiful lake and camping spots for everyone. They have walk-in spots, yurts, a-frames, RV spots, a horse camp and even a few rooms at the lodge. Make sure to spend at least 3-4 days!

Hidden Gem in Gifford Pinchot

This is my go-to campground when visiting the Gorge area. Located in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest, just north of the town of Carson. Its about a 20 minute drive to the Columbia river, and 10 minutes to the small town of Carson. Its tucked away down a beautiful Forest road. You are nestled amongst towering old growth trees, wild ferns and thimbleberries, with Panther Creek running alongside the camp. The 2018 season had excellent campground hosts, I hope they return next year! They were very friendly and had helpful tips for trails in the area.

The pit toilets were clean, though heavy smell of ammonia which is not unusual at campgrounds like this. Each site has a fire pit and picnic table. There are potable water pumps, as well as garbage and recycling. Frequented mainly by families, and some PCT hikers, as it is located just of the PCT trail. They have first come first serve as well as reservable sites. It fills up quickly on the weekends, so if you dont have a site reserved I highly recommend getting there early. Each regular site is $18 a night. Enjoy!

Beautiful and convenient

This State Campground is very close to the highway, so it is very convenient! Some reviews mentioned noise from the highways on each side, but we couldn’t here road noise in the RV with the air conditioning on!!!! The RV spots are very big with a little privacy! Lots of area to walk, and a nice, well maintained swimming beach where you can watch the windsurfers! Dog friendly, too!

Quiet spot on the Columbia River

This small state park is tucked alongside the Columbia River and Horsethief Lake. The campground is not large with only 4 regular campsites, 4 walk in sites, 8 partial hookups, a Teepee and 2 platform tents. The grounds surrounding the campground and alongside the lake are large, green grass areas with picnic tables everywhere. There are also archaeological sites with artifacts and pictographs within walking distance of the campground. There was a small kayak/canoe rental place that is run by the super friendly camp host.

I reserved the Teepee. I arrived a dusk during what would be a very strong wind storm that would last all night and all the next day. When I first went into the Teepee I noticed the canvas at the bottom was so rotten and the inside flap was secured to nothing so every time the wind blew the inside flap would fill up over half the inside and dirt would swirl everywhere. The front door flap was also very rotten and would not secure, so every time the wind blew, the door would fly open and let in more dirt. Needless to say my dog and I lasted about 5 minutes.

After talking to camp host I was able to get into one of the platform "tents". I later learned from the Park Ranger that stopped by that the canvas on the tents had rotted out in May so he had built what I would call plywood cabins with canvas roofs. There were 2 cabins, each one had 2 windows, 2 sets of bunk beds, a weak light, and a latch secured door. The cabin let in not one bit of wind which was nice, but also got very hot even though it was a cool evening and I had the window open all night. The next day the wind continued, not a big fan of strong sustained wind, but I figured out that when the door was open it created an arc of no wind right in front of the cabin which was nice to sit, watch, and relax. Please note, the cabin is not sealed to the creatures, on the second morning my dog woke me up to a bat that got stuck inside the cabin and was trying to get out, I was able to get the door open and it flew out.

The downside to the platform cabin is the lack of air flow, which in the summer could be rough. Also the only bathroom was a bit of a walk, but was kept clean and had showers. Also the parking was far away, so again a lot of walking. I was also informed by the Park Ranger that the Teepee would be taken down at the end of the 2018 season with no plans to bring it back.

Overall it as a good state park if you don't mind the wind and just want to relax. I'm not sure if I would go back but would recommend it to others.

Campground on shores of Rock Creek Reservoir

This is a small campground on the shores of Rock Creek Reservoir, however when you go in the late summer there is no water remaining near half of the campground. The remaining water in the reservoir was small and near the dam, with lots of people fishing the remaining fish. Even though the water levels were super low, there is evidence the water is much higher in the spring/early summer which means most of the spots in the campground would be right on the water.

I was in spot 28, on the edge of the reservoir, but couldn't see any water. The spot was huge with plenty of room for multiple tents. The campground host was quick to greet me, and remind me "No Fires due to extreme fire danger" but overall was very nice. I even spoke to her the next morning due to my neighbors blaring bad music loudly until about 0200 and she talked to them, and the next night no loud music.

The cons to the spot, the bathroom was kind of far away unless you cut through other peoples sites. Also people walked through my site to get to the reservoir, which was very annoying.

I would definitely go back to this campground, it was a great campground. But I would go back in early summer so I could enjoy a lake front campsite.

Beautiful midweek camping

Headed up to Timothy Lake on a weekday afternoon and were rewarded with a water front site with amazing views of Mt. Hood. There was firewood to purchase for $6/bundle and the site cost us $20 for the night. There are a number of trails around the lake including one that is a long loop circling the entire lake.

Train lovers paradise

Nice campground. Clean, plenty of rv hookups.

Short, 5 minute walk to the river.

A train track runs throught the middle of the campground. Trains run every hour or so. VERY loud.

Tent spots were $8. Rv spots were $24.

Beautiful views of Columbia river!

Very clean and well maintained

Gorgeous view of Mt Hood

Really clean and well maintained campground. Trillium Lake gets a LOT of visitors so the campsites are hard to come by, but like USFS campgrounds there are usually some first-come-first-serve spots if you get there early enough. Look to book a site several months out. There is a boat ramp, and a trail around the lake, and nothing but gorgeous views of Mt Hood!

Little Crater Lake - Beauty just off the Pacific Crest Trail!

Campground Review:

If you’ve ever been to Big Crater Lake (as in the actual Crater Lake deep in southern Oregon) you might have some expectations when you head over to this little beauty for a night of camping. Let me reset your expectations if you were expecting a giant lake created by a volcano years ago… Little Crater lake is just that - little. Tiny might even be a better word for it. But let me tell you, it is 100% worth your journey, and the water is some of the bluest I’ve seen! The road to this campground is a bit treacherous, as in one of the potholes even gave my decked out Jeep Wrangler a rattle, so be careful on your way in. This campsite is out there a bit, but you will enjoy striking views of Mt. Hood on your way in, and if you’ve never seen it up close you should definitely make it point to drive those roads. This campground features huge campsites that leave plenty of room for recreation vehicles for overland camping like my Jeep! We weren’t able to enjoy a campfire due to the season, but the morning and evening views at little crater lake are something else entirely. You really have to see it for yourself, and as an added bonus the Little Crater Lake trail connects to the Pacific Crest Trail so you can get a little dose of Wild if you care for a day hike. Nothing gives you a spirit of adventure like running into hikers that are tackling that amazing trail. While this site isn’t luxury by any means, it includes a minimalist bathroom and some of the most beautiful hikes! Highly recommend.

Rustic with spectacular canyon and river views

Rattlesnake Campground is about 12 miles north of Sherars Falls on the Deschutes River. Take the BLM access road just past the falls. This is a rough gravel road. Brutally hot in the summer but the river is refreshing. The canyon with its basalt columns is amazing. Big horn sheep frequent the area. The river is home to redside trout and in season, summer steelhead. This is a popular fishing destination but worth a look for non-fisher people.

There is no drinking water available at this site. Fires allowed but only in the winter.

A true high desert experience with an epic canyon & river as back drops.

Lakeside campground

The campground pros were its proximity to Clear Lake, the huge campsites, and it was not very crowded. We absolutely loved clear lake and it was great for paddleboarding,swimming, and fishing. We had hoped there would have been more shaded areas around the lake for our dogs to hang out but it was a bit of a walk back to the tree coverage.

Cons: Bathrooms were relatively clean but were some of the worst smelling bathrooms I've ever been in.

Right next to Bar and Restaurant. Perfect view for watching Lawnmower Races

We came in Friday and camped until Monday for Labor Day. We were close enough to the restaurant & bar where there was restrooms. We camped with 2 other couples all together. There were Lawnmower Races Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. Was amazing to see them race fast and had some scary wrecks. The crew there were focused on safety and everyone walked away from their wreck in one piece! Campsites were spread from behind the buildings all the way to the pits. They have bathroom in the restayand bar, but also have portapotties for use. There is a store mile down the road that carries everything!!

Beautiful area. Visiting Portland area, highly recommended.

Decent RV camping. Stayed 2 nights during last weekend of summer break. Packed a little tight but most people were outgoing and friendly while we visited. Very close to summer (and I'm assuming winter) attractions with Ski Bowl nearby. A few nice restaurants within a few minutes drive. Nice indoor pool and hot tub. Good playground for kids. Very family friendly.

Classic Feel, Superb Hosts

Also called Eightmile Crossing. We liked it here, so much to do and explore. We had loud neighbors addressing their kids at 10:30 PM - the dad yelling "Turn off the TV!" 8-10 times in a row, at a higher volume each time so the whole campground could know what an effective parent he was - but the camp host couple (Dean was the guy) were active and empathetic. They knew how important it is to explain the WHY of certain rules and considerations, and it was fun to hear their background to ending up here. The parents were quieter the 2nd night. The trail system throughout the area is tremendous. We did most of the Eightmile trail loop that starts in the campground. The signage indicated that one way around the circle was easy, the other more difficult, depending on the challenge you wanted. The especially cool aspect of Eightmile is that it's just on the "no rain" side of the climate divide with Portland/the coast, yet still tree-rich. Downsides were being in a sound corridor for planes landing at PDX, no significant distance between sites or between sites and the roads, and the overall typical/routine feel of the place. Bring your fun friends and/or your journal.

Mark Twain, Anyone?

Amenities are awesome - excellent fishing, river views, play place, Pacific Crest Trail within a mile, Stern-wheeler cruises, right in the cool town of Cascade Locks. As such it should feel touristy but doesn’t. It’s not a nature lovers paradise, but open and fun overall. On the downside were a cranky, all business camp host - this is an important place, so decide NOW - and small campsites on lawns.

Open Yet Intimate Feel

We were staying at Eightmile Crossing Campground, so I came down the half-mile trail to walk around Lower Eightmile for a bit. I think it might reach 4-star status if there wasn't a lot of traffic down the dirt road the 2-3 campsites are along, or you didn't get the airplane noise like you do at Eightmile Crossing, but I didn't stay overnight to find out. No traffic or traffic noise during the 30 minutes I was there, though. Fantastic trees/greenery and a healthy stream, plus wide-open spaces and a wide road make for great star-gazing opportunities. Don't forget about the nearby Bald Butte hike, a tougher but relatively off-the-map route ending with humongous views.

Spread Out Sites, Prime Rec Area

This is a great option as each site is different and pretty spacious. Too bad they're right off the road and the relative lack of trees takes away some privacy. Still, the trees are tall and you get more sunlight, plus this is near some really cool, popular trail networks for all abilities. And consider the dirt roads lead to wonderful views as well. Springs are ephemeral, so there wasn't anything to see while we were there. A little more remote and in the 'semi-primitive' category, adding to a more natural feel.

Large Sites, Open Vibrant Area

Small… we're talkin' 3-4 sites… but each site is HUGE! Refreshing to see, and how cool to get here and take over all three with a party. Near some nice trails and gorgeous mountain views. I'd say 3 1/2 stars as it's sorta near the road, but a super busy road it is not. Bring your mountain bike.

Shade, Trails, Large River Access vs. Noise, Small Sites & Neighbors

Lots to offer here and is good for one night for more avid tenters wanting the sights or nature, or multiple nights for social campers or RVs. Good trails, well run, clean, and smack dab in the middle of Columbia Gorge, one of the most beautiful places in the country. Plenty of tall trees. I grew up next to a freeway and I love trains, though the highway and train honks are substantial if your idea was to relax in nature for the weekend. Would be four stars if the sites were a little more spread out, I reckon'. Bring your kayak, fishing pole or wetsuit - as of today, theswimguide.org indicated locations up- and downriver from Viento were safe, though it's harder than it should be to find that kind of information. Video from the tent sites south of I-84, most of the photos are from the north, river more RV-ish side.