The best BOAT IN camping near
Savanna , OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Savanna Camping Reviews
Gorgeous on lake

Quiet spacious, clean bathrooms with toilet paper and showers. Had a spot on the lake. Perfect.

Private balconies overlooking the lake

I had never heard of McGee Creek State park but had a blast here last weekend! We stayed right on the water at Potapo Landing. Definitely the nicest campsite I’ve seen. Aside from electricity, water, picnic table, fire pit and grill, each site also had their own deck! We got lucky as our site was not directly next to other campers, however most sites were pretty close together. It seemed like many of the RVs that were parked were there permanently (or at least for a very long time). Every now and then we’d catch a whiff of sewage smell but other than that it was very quiet and peaceful weekend.

Great Escape

I love this small park. It offers a lot of amenities, but overall it’s about the cave trails and lots of hiking opportunities. We went in the early fall so too cool to enjoy the small lakes but our campsite had great views of one of the lakes.

Beautiful place to get away

I love Robbers Cave. It’s one of my most favorite places to camp. There are over 40 miles of hiking trails and the views are incredible! I prefer to camp away from people and toilets don’t matter, I tent camp around Lake Wayne Wallace or Eagles Nest. Watch the trails bc you could end up on the horse trails and be very sad lol.

A hassle-free camping trip all around!

Usually when my friend and I go tent camping we have some hiccup in our plans—rain, damp firewood, lack of wood and ice to be purchased on site, trouble getting good maps, freezing to death at night, etc, but this trip really went without a hitch! They have a good website through which you can pick your campsite. We ended up with a pretty one by the creek that was more secluded than the others. It didn’t have a bathroom, but it was easy enough to drive over to the next site.

What is fun about Robber’s Cave is the variety of things to do. On our first day we went directly to the Cave area and enjoyed climbing on the rocks! Many views were pretty and the cave was not too puny either. The next day we explored more trails—one that was good and challenging—and then rented a kayak for the lake. It was only $5 for an hour! They’ve got mini golf, horse shoes, and a show cone stand to boot. The little camp headquarters also had plentiful ice and dry firewood to buy.

I guess if I have any criticism it would be that the bathroom was a bit dingy, but, heck, it had toilet paper! They also could have had better maps of some of the trails—we got just a little lost on one of the offshoot trails near the cave—but that’s what made it an adventure, really.

Love it here

A little bit of everything for everyone. We prefer the more primitive sites. lake Ray Wallace and Eagles Nest campgrounds within the park are awesome. The caves themselves are great to hike to from I believe 7 different trails. We've gone 3 times already this year. They have an equestrian RV area, plus others dotted throughout the park, a swimming pool (which boggles my mind considering there is great lake swimming), playgrounds, mostly family environment.

Gorgeous views!

We camped 8/28/2020 - 9/3/2020 in Space 62 right on the water, 30 amp, shared water, open shot to satellites. Sewer dump and trash bins nearby. Nice boat ramp and sandy but rocky beaches. The gate entrance was unmanned and we never saw a park ranger or had anyone confirm we had paid. We arrived shortly after Hurricane Laura, so her aftermath caused rain and lightning storms but we certainly cannot fault the park for that.

A ton to do!

What we love: a ton of activities and things to do. Pool, bouncy houses, witbit, swim beach, schedule activities, kayaks, putt putt, etc. They also have a cafe with a lot of cheap food (hint: get the meat lovers pizza). What we don’t love: the camping is more rv aka parking lot type camping. Small sites. We prefer to camp, and not park in a parking lot. Also, they are a bit pricey. Higher than the other jellystones in the area. However, we enjoy the park when we come and it’s great place for kids.

why did I camp in July?🥵

Wasn’t able to spend much time here, but camped in the atv area and had an ok time. The sites were close together so there was very little privacy but it was quiet for the most part. No restrooms that I saw but there was water and electric. The drive to the park is less than fun. We were only 3 hours away but drive felt way longer due to slow country roads and construction. I doubt we’ll be back just because of the drive, but if it’s nearby it’s pretty nice!

Lots of Options For Camping

Camping at Robber’s Cave State Park you will quickly discover that no matter what your overall preference for camping style, they pretty much have you covered. On a recent trip I visited the park and discovered that from primitive to improved sites, equestrian areas, atv areas they have a bit of everything. The camp even has options for those who aren’t feeling quite as adventurous and want to live in a bit more of the creature comforts we all have at home with cabins, a lodge and yurts.

The area itself is filled with historic mystery as it was formerly known to be the hide out of some of the West’s most infamous and notorious bank robbers. From Jesse James and the Younger Gang to Belle Starr the area once served as an excellent place to hide their treasures and watch out to make sure no one was coming.

The mountains around this area are beautiful and have towering trees and rolling waterways. You will find 3 lakes here that can keep you occupied wether you like to fish, boat, kayak, peddle or swim. Additionally amenities such a nature center, swimming pool, grocery store and mini golf make this site perfect for families who are wanting to find a little fun and adventure without having to go very far.

Hiking around this park is abundant and there are miles upon miles of trails to explore with some being very easy and user friendly and others posing a bit more of a challenge.

The campgrounds themselves are pretty standard throughout with picnic tables, lantern hooks, grills and fire rings. Many also have prep tables located just beside the grill making dinner very easy.

I found that not all campsites were created equally however in way of restrooms. The primitive sites on loops were not evenly placed near restrooms, and a restroom could be a bit of a tall order if you are camping on some of the loops. You would expect that from the hike in campsites, but might want to plan carefully for a stay at the primitive sites based on your need for these facilities.

Not all facilities offer showers either. Showers are located centrally for all to use and you can easily walk to these or park beside if you are staying a bit further away.

I did notice that there is camping on both sides of the highway with each having its unique advantages and disadvantages. The primitive sites mostly are located on the side with more recreation, while the more improved sites, cabins and lodge are located on the opposite side. This side also offers hiking and has some improved spaces of interest but the vast majority of the popular spaces you will want to check out will be located just across the small highway.

On the improved camping loops you will find most of the RV campers. These sites are placed closer together and have improved pull ins as well, unlike the hard pack of the primitive camping/semi improved camping areas. Additionally, these areas have both water and electrical connections and can really squeeze a lot of size into each spot.

On this side of the park, a grocery store is within walking distance of the improved camping area and easy to access for park information as well as supplies you might need.

Unlike many parks which are a considerable distance from town, the community of Wilburton is only a short drive from this location and has several restaurants, stores and fuel stops. This makes it very convenient if you are spending more than a couple of days out at the park and want to venture out for anything you might need.

Tips:

• Research your site before selecting one online through the booking system or in person. This will save you a lot of headache if you are needing a restroom that is closer.
  • Bring sunscreen!! Despite having wonderful shaded areas, the water is a HUGE draw here and you will want to be able to have fun in it without issues. Don’t forget waterproof sunscreen. Try the trails or rent a boat. The Robber’s Cave trail is the most exciting hike in the park in way of history and challenge, you will enjoy finding the cave that once housed some of the most notorious in the West through a series of inclines and scrambles. Through this is not for everyone, it is able to be navigated by most.