The best GROUP camping near
Mountain View , OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Mountain View Camping Reviews
Quiet, quiet!!

6 miles South of I-40 and just at the edge of Hinton, OK is a small canyon with red and ochre colored walls. Stayed here on a week day so just a few campers here. Well spaced parking pads, 30 amp, water, cooking grill, large fire ring and picnic table for $30. Shower and restroom building adequately clean, but could use a new coat of white paint. Staff were very helpful on phone and in person. It appears to be a well run place. Worth the 6 mile drive from i-40 and a respite from wall to wall sites at some RV parks.

Quiet respite!

Ducking off i-40 to the North, Foss State Park was a great place to stay the night. Larger town of Clinton, just SE of the park.
Concrete pads, water, 50 amp, picnic table and a great (grate) fireplace. Small trees shade the pads. Dark night sky, except for small city lights to the North. The communication from the Park station was pleasant and responsive to inquiry. A little windy, but typical for OK. Worth the short drive from i-40.

Oasis!

We were shocked by how beautiful this campsite was. It is a hidden valley oasis with grassy campsites and nestled in between trees and surrounded by red rock walls! Campsite owner was super nice and helpful. 15 bucks for a tent site and you get to pick it first come first serve. Super close/easy access to the I-40!

Spectacular place to visit

Doris campgrounds are only open for RV campers due to covid so I couldn’t stay. Mount Scott had some pretty awesome views and I hiked the trail across the road from it by the bathrooms. There is a gate and a path beside it made from vehicle wheels. You can hike pretty far. There are several spots where you cross a creek which was good for my dogs or I think they would have died by the way they were panting lol. It was 91 degrees when I hiked it. Take 2 water bottles for yourself if it’s hot out! The trail ends at a beautiful lake with the mountain in the distance. I walked down to the lake so the dogs could cool off and drink for a while. Def loved taking it all in. There’s cattle but they didn’t mind us one bit.

I did see camping in town right before the blue water towers, along the river/creek there are tent camping spots and a lot of people were fishing. It’s just over the bridge and you can miss it. It’s not on the app so thought I would mention it in my review and added some pics of that area!

Hiking, Fishing, Fun

This is literally the first place we’ve ever been in our pop up so we don’t have anything to compare it to. We were happy with our experience at Red Rock Canyon. We loved the setting with the red canyon walls. Our two kids enjoyed the fishing in the pond (just blue gill but the fishing was fun). We did a little hiking and didn’t even scratch the surface of all the hiking available, lots of rappelling going on and it appeared the local fire department was even out practicing. In the evening they were setting up a large projector screen by the camp shop and looked to be doing a move night possibly. RV sites had a little space to them and included a fire pit, picnic table, and charcoal grill. Electric and water worked just fine. Only part that was less than great was the bathrooms, but they worked just fine.

Foss State Park

We tent camped at Foss State Park in August 2020. We stayed at the Cottonwood campground site #6. All the tent sites were very spacious. There was a picnic table and grill and a water faucet nearby. The sites were nice and grassy and mowed. The bathroom was nice and clean with individual showers, each with their own door. So they were nice and private. Some of the old reviews mention needing quarters for the showers but they are now free. The playground was new and the kids had fun playing on it. The RV spots were a little crowded on the backside of the campground but pretty spread out closer to the entrance. We drove through the Sandy Beach campground and it seemed nice and secluded but the picnic tables were a little run down. The playground was really old too. But I think the bathroom was newer. Also, there was no sandy beach in this area. 🧐

The swim beach was nice and sandy. Much better than a lot of Oklahoma lakes. But like most lakes in Oklahoma, the water was super muddy.

There are two cabins for rent here. They looked pretty new as well. They have a marina and I believe you can rent boats but we never checked it out.

Overall, I definitely recommend Foss. It was a nice family friendly park to visit.

Beautiful location

We read a few reviews about distance between campers but we though even if full I would not describe it as a parking lot campground. The sites have green space and trees between them but the lake is superb. We are here on a Monday so there are only 4 other campers. It is peaceful and quiet. The sunset awesome. I would recommend a stay here.

Mountains in Oklahoma??

This is an awesome place to visit for the day or weekend! It’s only about 3 hours from the Dallas area and is very scenic. Lots of wildlife and fun trails to hike! The campground fills up quick so get there early.

Need Help With Covid 19

Of course, Covid 19 has forced many places to make adjustments, and this is a trying time for all. That being said, this camp is inconsistent with its information online, on this app, and in person. Many amenities and even basic entry had conflicting information, and we were turned away after driving so far to get there. The maps they gave us were also unclear and poorly labeled. The park is beautiful and a must-see, but I’d feel better avoiding this site entirely.

Lovely State Park with Lots to Do

We only spent one night at the Cottonwood Campground here and would go back in a heartbeat.  Sure, the facilities were old and buggy and I didn't even want to shower there, but the park has enough to keep me interested in coming back!

Nice 'heart healthy' trail off of Cottonwood that was about a mile long.  The park is huge and really needed to be explored more. Some great birding!