The best WALK IN camping near
Helena , OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Helena Camping Reviews
Small and Quite

Stayed here for a couple of days while traveling to Colorado with friends. The caverns where very interesting as well as the trails around the campground. You could see alabaster everywhere, beautifully exposed. The area appears to be a Dark Sky Area with little artificial light, so the night sky was brilliant!

The campground hosts were very friendly and informative. I would stop here again if my route takes me that way.

So much fun

You can’t camp at the actual Salt Plains. We spent the day here and had such an awesome time. I took kids ages 3-12 and they all had a blast. Make sure to bring metal shovels and metal hand shovels bc the plastic ones will break, you will want sand buckets, egg cartons to put the crystals in bc when they come out they are still soft and brittle, sunscreen, lots of water, towels, baby wipes, a umbrella if you have one (we didn’t need it but a lot of people prefer them). I can’t stand sand/salt on me (think nails on a chalk board feeling) so I needed to shower pronto afterwards and couldn’t so lots of water to rinse off with is a good thing to have. You will have sand and salt all over your car inside and out FYI lol.

A great gateway to adventures

The camping at Great Salt Plains State park is a fine place to park the camper and stay, but most of the adventure is elsewhere in the park/refuge. You'll need to drive to get to almost everything.

We stayed at the Sandy Beach Campground. This review is for that campground. If I had to do it again (I will) I would stay at the River Road Campground. It's much more shaded, more isolated and along the river. Not to mention the awesome Cliff Swallow flights from under the river bridge!

The campsite is clean and simple. The sites on the western edge have more shade than the rest, the sites in the center of the loop can feel strangely exposed with little in the way of natural boundaries between sites.

Noise level: Look… this is a OK stake park lake site. Yes it's attached to a national refuge. Yes there are awesome things to see and do. But it's still a lakeside park. So, expect lots of huge 5th wheels with big outdoor speakers. In the summer I would guess there will be at least one camper who wants to share his music with you. It's a shame… but it's true. There is also a fighter training base adjacent to the park run by the Air Force. It's not as obnoxious as bubba's music, but just know it's there. And most of the time they just fly during the day.

You can walk to the lake and the swimming area near the dam. It's a day use area, so there's some folks that like to leave some trash, but you know… pick it up for them and carry on.

Now… when you leave there and head into the national refuge, that's where things get great. What a beautiful, unexpected landscape. The north side of the refuge has great hiking trails that are full of wildlife. The southwest side of course has the crystal digging area. It's really a great place to spend a weekend. Word to the wise, in the fairer months, get on and off the salt plains early to avoid the heat and the day trippers.

Overall, this is a serviceable campsite that can serve for a great launching point for exploring/hiking/birding in the refuge. The wildlife present is outstanding.

FYI… no, you can't fly your drone here. There is a national refuge, a state park and an Air Force base. It took me a long time to arrange all the clearances required, but my flight was legal.

Fun time but lost a lot of golf balls!

We enjoyed a fun weekend at Roman Nose State Park. There’s a lot of history there with many activities available. We had a fun round of golf on a difficult course.

Great for the hot days

We visited Roman Nose in July of 2020 (my latest of several trips there since my youth). My boys loved it and enjoyed the hiking, fishing, and swimming. Our morning hike concluded around lunch and the shade-covered natural springs were a great way to beat the afternoon heat.

Lots of other activities available include putt putt, paddle boats, swimming pool, golf course, and the great restaurant Foggy Bottom Kitchen.

Must See

The park itself was a letdown. It was not kept up very well and if you have a taller unit you need to pay attention to low branches. With the Covid still hot here we elected to not do the tour. We did ask, where would be a good spot to watch the bats at dusk? It was a great experience and made everything worth while.

Plenty to offer

This is a beautiful area with plenty to offer. The golf course is challenging and my 11 year old was free. The signage getting to the park was great but within the park not so much. Know where your going before hand if you can. Be careful of low hanging branches if you have a taller RV.

Let down

We camped here for a weekend. There was no fire pits for the rv sites. The sites were super close together. The bathrooms were really clean but the showers were a little gross and there was no hot water for them. The main reason we came were for the caverns and despite there being a sign and information online that the cavern would be open, they were still closed because of the Rona.

Despite that, the staff was nice and the trails were beautiful. Just didn’t get to see the caves.

Or have a fire….

Nice park

We camped right next to the river. Was very peaceful and had a great view. There's also plenty to do there if you go during crystal digging season.

Off the beaten path but not too far! Perfect for adventures!

This park is nestled in the red rock hills of close north central Oklahoma with its curved and tree-filled landscape hiding awaiting adventures and treasures to be discovered! The landscape’s curves, twists and turns produce moments of discovery including natural springs abundant with icy cold, clear water flowing from rocky walls and gurgling streams as one winds through pathways of wild wooded areas.

Options for all levels of outdoor-lovers include the lodge, with hotel-type accommodations, restaurant and outdoor seating area to the more adventurous Tipis for those who want to experience a more “close encounter” with nature!

Certainly something for everyone including the good sized lake with recreation for the whole family!