Alva, OKLAHOMA
Most Recent Alva Camping Reviews
Great Adventure

The Great Salt Plains is great place to go for an adventure. You could spend hours just digging up the crystals on the salt plains. I would absolutely recommend everyone to spend the weekend here just relaxing and having a ton of fun. The RV Camp sites were very clean and the cleaning staff that were there when we went were very friendly.

Never busy or loud

Never busy or loud when I've been there. Wish there were fish in the lake. Nice little swim beach. Perfect place to get away from the big city and see the sky.

small

this is a corps of engineers campground if you have a senior America passport you can camp for half price same as all national parks. nice sites some back up to the lake and you have a view. big cottonwood trees line the lake. 50 amp and water hookups no sewer. very busy so need to reserve for weekends.

Simple, but easy and affordable

There are some rowdy campers, but never gets too loud. Kids love going

This place needs a lot of work but it is quiet and people are friendly.

Need better bathrooms and camping spaces are way to close together.

Convenient to the Beach

Stayed in campsite 27. Nice site with afternoon shade, covered picnic table and cook area. Backs up to the woods. 2 negatives-poor cell phone reception and no dump station in this campground. You have to go across the dam to use dump station.

Simple

The campgrounds at Boiling Springs State Park are small and the majority are RV sites. There are GIANT mosquitos in the late spring and summer and they are in swarms. The park is not as well taken care of as it used to be. Small trails are near by and there are plenty of deer and raccoons to see. Lots of trees on the outer campsites in the Whitetail Campground.

Family friendly, clean, and entertaining place to stay!

What a great place to camp in Oklahoma! The campground was well maintained, the bathrooms were spotless, and the variety of trails was endless. I stayed here just for the night and a short hike the next morning before continuing to Colorado, and if I had not been on a tight schedule I would have stayed longer! They have several options for camping including group sites, RV hookups, and cabins, playgrounds for the kids, a pool with concessions, and lots of hiking and biking options. The rangers were very friendly and informative, giving me lots of great information, not just about this park, but all Oklahoma State Parks. They were very dog friendly and mine enjoyed the stay as well, with lots of things to sniff and see. Dogs are allowed on all trails and inside most buildings as long as they are on a 10 foot leash.

Small CG

11 sites. So be sure to reserve a spot if you need to stay for the night. We were traveling through to CO and stopped for 2 nights. Electric boxes are newer and water pressure was good. Dump station available. The second day we took the cave tour. Thought we were going to have a tour to ourselves. Instead we dealt with others. Some who were a bit snippy about the van (vs. Tram) ride back. I enjoyed the cave very much. Beautiful displays of gypsum looking sleek as glass. No pictures allowed in the caverns. No smoking, vaping, food or bottled water either. Wear decent shoes due to slick, muddy spots and a jacket. It gets a bit chilly inside.

Take Your Breath Away Beauty, Unexpectedly so in Oklahoma.

The campground was underused when I camped there, with electric, water and typical amenities including a great hot shower, I’d go out of my way to camp here again. The GPS map had the checkin at the w4ong end of the Park, but otherwise I had no problems. I got one of many open spaces with a view of Steed Lake and plenary of room for any size RV. Fires were allowed which is a prime requirement when I camp. There was a wild storm the night I arrived, making for an indescribly sublime sunrise. Don’t miss this campground.

Unique and beautiful park

Great historic hot springs park with some hiking, swimming, and wildlife, plus lots of other parks and things to do close by. We came here for a birding festival and saw many new birds. The pools are a good mix of historic construction and modern safety and amenities. Really beautiful.

Yay: nice and shady, large sites, love the springs, great ranger office.

Nay: can be crowded. Bugs. Trains nearby.

Surprise: I’ve been to a lot of springs and this one was especially nice. Lots of great trails to explore too.

Low impact outdoor fun

We were looking for a park that had plenty of amenities for the whole family to enjoy. Typically, our camping/hiking trips are just for my wife and dogs with intentions of long rigorous hikes. However, this weekend we needed a place to take an inexperienced party.

Besides having to navigate around bridge construction on highway 38, this was an excellent trip. We started the day by heading straight to the visitors center, nature trail, and auto tour.

The nature trail was perfect for my 3-year-old niece to walk. Occasional benches, mowed and manicured paths, and designated lookouts were excellent for everyone in our party. The auto tour was literally a one way driveable trail through the park flanked with scenic views making nature accessible for those unable walk long distances or rough terrain.

Next we drove to the salenite crystal digging areas. There are designated sections of the park where patrons can dig for salt crystals. There is no charge, and the scenery is like nothing else in Oklahoma. Bring a shovel, dig about a foot down and sift through the sand to find crystals of different shapes and size. Note, your car will likely get salty, so make sure to wash it off quickly afterward to avoid any erosion.

We camped near the spillway on the south side of the lake. The spillway offered a really cool view and has stairs that lead right to the waters edge. Campsites were tidy, mowed, and well maintained.

Oasis

Well kept, great hiking, nice activities.

Caves to explore

Definitely take a cave tour while visiting, but also explore the other trails in the park through the canyon. There are a few different camping locations, we stayed farthest from the visitor center and hiking trails. You can walk to the caves from any of the campgrounds. No shade at the sites but very pretty. Simple sites. Clean, quiet, peaceful. Next time we will do the cave camping option where you get to say inside the cave!

Hidden Treasure of Oklahoma

My boyfriend took me here for valentines day, and it blew me away. Most people rent dune buggies or bring their jeeps to enjoy the dunes, but we just camped and roamed the dunes by ourselves. It's such a unique park - you don't get to walk around miles of sandunes every day! The amenities were fine, the stars were amazing, and it was a nice quiet evening. Make sure you go into town for dinner - the German restaurant is the BEST.

Alabaster Caverns

Went here spontaneously after recommendation from someone in a diner. Beautiful caverns, definitely do the tours and dress for cool temps, slippery rocks. Awesome bats when we visited years ago, maybe not anymore due to white nose disease :( Lovely trees and canyon. Campground is small but sites are very nice and clean. Rangers were especially nice with lots of geology/nature info in the office.

Alabaster

I took my little cousins here and they had a blast. It was really cool when you go to go in the caves. The caves are really slippery so I should have wore my hiking boots instead to sandals. The tour was amazing and was only 10 dollars. There are campsite though we did not camp here. The restrooms were really clean and I would definitely recommend coming here

Alabaster Caverns

This is a really great park in Major County, Oklahoma. Very close to other natural sites like, Little Sahara and the Gloss (Glass) Mountains. We prefer tent camping in the canyon area, but be forewarned that it can be cold at night. The tour is enjoyable, and 3 species of bat can be seen frequently. All and all a great little park.

The tent camping area was very nice and clean. Lots of awesome trails.

Great wild caving and camping

Campgrounds are clean and well kept up. Bathrooms aren't bad. There's an area in the canyon area and one above that's more for RV's (they have nice showers in that area, not free showers).