About Lake McMurtry West
Lake McMurtry West is located in Oklahoma
4 Reviews of Lake McMurtry West
A Bad Experience!

I reserved a water view RV site at Lake McMurtry and

their office gave my space away to another camper

We arrived late to the campgrounds (due to their faulty web site directions) and backed into the only space available a couple of sites down

I informed the store of their mistake and they sent over

a gal who told me they would “credit back my stay”

When I didn't see my credit almost two weeks later I called again to ask about it

They then informed me that all they would do now is credit my “next stay”

I won’t be staying at Lake McMurtry again so this is of NO value to me

Their staff is clearly unreliable and unprofessional and I do not recommend them to other campers

Loovee

Grew up going here with my parents now we take our kids.. Hubby lives to kayak here..

Private RV Sites with easy lake access

We really love the long, relatively private sites on the west side. Each campsite is somewhat screened from the neighbor by brush.

Each site has a picnic table and a fire ring, water and electrical hookups.

There is a dumpster on the circle. There is a shower and a toilet at the bait shop. Each (west side) campsite has access to the lake.

Our favorite campsites are #11 and #12, which are a little more private, and because we can easily launch our kayaks from both spots and they have nice areas to fish.

There are many nice hiking trails.

The west side is our favorite place to camp within 60 miles of Stillwater.

The cons - ticks are very plentiful, and we have heard that copperheads are plentiful in the camping area. I personally haven't seen one, but camping neighbors are always happy to let us know when they have! Might take a weed eater and clear the brush on your path to the water!

The road to the campground is fairly long and winding, but easy to make with the trailer as long as you obey the speed limit.

The only other con is it is hard to get reservation. They have a very nice online reservation system, but the campsites fill up quickly and pretty far out date wise. I wish they had twice as many campsites!

Here is the main website: https://www.lakemcmurtry.com/

Here is their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/lakemcmurtry I highly recommend their facebook page and their youtube videos. They are really funny.

Regarding boating (Taken from the website):

• The following are prohibited: activities that involve towing a person behind a boat, sea-doos, jet skis, or any similar personal motorized watercraft.
  • Boats of any kind are not allowed in the swim area.
  • Watercraft must be properly registered by the state of Oklahoma before entering the lake.
  • Designated boat ramps are for “launching” only.
  • Maximum speed is 25 mph. No wake at boat docks and ramps.
  • Water skiing, jet skis, sea doo’s, water bikes, and any other related water sports are prohibited.
Lake McMurtry!

Stillwater isn't the most… scenic place in the US. Trust me, I went to school there for 5 years. Lake McMurtry is the perfect little escape though, taking you through winding mountain bike paths and down to the water. I've had some of my favorite camping experiences there, not because it's the most beautiful or wild place, but because its a nice escape.