The best GROUP camping near
Barnesville , OHIO

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Barnesville Camping Reviews
November camping was bad

We stayed here November 21, 2020 (in the midst of Covid).

The campground had no water hookups, about 90% of the sites were not level (and….I mean by A LOT).

We were one of the only people in the campground, so we ended up just moving to one of the more level campgrounds.

It's a cute campground, but a lot of the RV spots are unlevel up a hill, so backing in would be a hassle. Wouldn't stay here again.

Wonderful Park

This park is very well groomed and most of the trails within the park had been cleared of vegetation so there was no fighting through the weeds. There are a number of good hikes within the park. We were there Columbus weekend and it was hopping but everyone quieted by 10.

Cabins are fun for families, sometimes full of skunks, great trails

We enjoyed renting a cabin with the family at several different times.

The mountain bike trails are so rugged and fun, difficult for biking.  You can hike them too, and they offer nice views of the lake.

The area seems to have a skunk issue at times, and it can get smelly near the cabins.

The cabins have nice fire pits and kitchens have enough space and facilities to make a nice family dinner.

The lake is large enough to boat on and you can do paddling sports there easily.

The park has tennis courts and lots of other recreation: boating, hiking, swimming, biking.

Great Free Camping

We drove thru Sand Hollow, Bicentennial and Maple Grove before choosing Hook Lake. All of these Jesse Owens State Park/AEP campgrounds are free for up to 14 days. While most of the sites at Hook Lake do not have cell coverage we were lucky enough to find that at the "top of the hill" we were able to get both att and verizon at around 2 bars (3 to 5gb download but under 1 upload).

This campground was very quiet, lots of shade (not ideal if you are running on solar only). The DNR make rounds on a regular basis. There is a dumpster by the entrance to the campground but no longer cans at each site (October 2020).

Stayed in site 27 with a 33ft travel trailer and we're able to get level without and blocks.

Lots of hiking, mountain biking and The Wilds are near by. McConnelsville is about 20 min away for all your gas, food (Kroger) and propane (Greueys Fuel and Freed.

Nice campground. Limited amenities.

Only 5 electric sites. Very clean pit toilets. Well maintained campground. A few equine sites. Only 2 electric eq sites. Electric is a little far behind pad. We almost needed extension cord. All water full up towers only have those spigots that are not threaded. Had to hold hose over spigot about 20 min to fill 35 gal. We were later told by staff the maintenance building had a threaded spigot. AT&T 5g with 3 bars. Not very many restaurants or grocery nearby. Better make sure you have what you need bf you travel. Bridge out in Bergholtz (sp) had a backroad detour. But overall great smaller campground.

Fabulous, Numerous Activities!!

Salt Fork State Park is Amazing!! There is 'something for Everyone' here; from the lodge, golfing, boating, fishing, hiking, camping, trail rides, hunting, pontoon boat rides, boat and kayak rentals, primitive camping, camping with your horses, a beach, and numerous other options!! If your BRAVE enough, You can explore 3 different known areas where Bigfoot has been sighted, on numerous occasions, thru the years!!

Fabulous, Numerous Activities!!

Park is Great, Campsites Suck!

Stayed here in the “primitive” camp. You are basically staying with your neighbors in small cleared areas where you can see everything everyone else is doing and if you have one of the sites nearer to the parking areas, you will have people walking through your campsite all day and night from the ones in the rear. From what I saw, the electric sites in the main campground aren’t much better. I mean this is a midwestern state park camping experience for sure. If you’re expecting any amount of privacy, think again.

The lake is pretty beautiful. The trails are well marked and the horse trails go on for miles and miles so if you have horses this is a great place to trail ride and if you’re a hiker who is not afraid of horses, you can always enjoy the equestrian trails for some serious mileage!

Nice and enjoyable !

Great camp ground! Lake and scenery was beautiful! Very clean and friendly help! Very kid oriented!

Pretty, Free, but a dirty lake

I went for an overnight camping getaway. The campsite was fairly clean, had to pickup a few wrappers. I was excited to get a spot overlooking the water, with a table and fire pit. Not a really good spot for a tent, but I was able to find a soft spot off to the side. From up on the hill looking down on the lake, it looked quite clear. I was excited to grab my canoe and jump in.

I carried my boat to the waters edge. As I was going to put my canoe into the water, I noticed some really nasty stuff in the water. It looked like human poop. I was kinda stunned, and then I noticed a lot of flies all around that particular area. So given that I decided I was not going to be canoeing or fishing.

I get it, it’s free. But I just wish people would NOT empty their RVs into the lake. Kinda ruined a good thing. Aside from that, the area was very pretty.