Canton, OHIO

Most Recent Canton Camping Reviews
Nice spot overall

The site sits up on a ridge overlooking the scenic railroad. Not extremely private. You can see a parking lot and hikers walking by at the bottom. Being higher up on the ridge helped make it feel a bit more secluded. There’s a big container fire chamber, bathrooms and water down at the bottom. Overall we really enjoyed, would be back.

Fall family fun

This small campground is very family oriented.  When we went in October, they had trick or treating for kids, a site decorating contest, and a fall festival with two corn mazes, hayrides, Gaga ball, a corn pit, pumpkin painting and lots more.  The employees were very friendly and helpful.  We stayed in one of the primitive campsites.  They were roomy with plenty of shade.

Perfect Weekend Getaway

Camped a long weekend for the fall festival. Campground was nice, quiet and people were friendly. Spots are roomy, with nice yard/fire space. Not all spots are full hook up, but some are. Shower houses are nice and clean. Had a lot of activities for the kids. Over all it was nice place, I would camp here again.

Nice Family Owned Campground

Nice campground for family fun! Spent the weekend here with family and friends with little ones. They have nice spots lower down that are right by the river. They have a pool and playground. We like this spot since it is close to the Mohican river if you want to go tubing. Showers and bathroom were pretty decent.

Primitive Camping

I arrived here hoping a primitive site was still available and indeed two were! They allowed me to walk in and decide the site that I'd like. I was only there for the night, but enjoyed the atmosphere and the friendliness of the employees!

Primitive Camping

Chestnuts Roasting On an Open Fire (Mohican State Park)

This trip was memorable for so many reasons but the Chestnuts really make this park stand out.  The park has several Chestnut trees which is usually a rare find these days.  Later on, I found a sign explaining why the park had so many Chestnut trees. They are working to bring them back.  We used our grubstick to roast them over the open fire.  Many of us fondly think of the Christmas song but how often have you roasted your own Chestnuts while camping?

The tent sites (short walk from parking lot) and one car per tent site.  Our site was not the traditional walk up/park camp site. It was a nice change of pace.  More space and great neighbors.

The camp store at this park had a lot of great things such as corn hole outside, a mining activity for the family, trikes you could rent, and most importantly ice cream.

The camp store is right across from the pool.  The pool is currently closed but not many state parks in Ohio have a pool right in the camp ground area.  This is a rare treat. The pool had the traditional pool, kiddo pool, and small splash pad. You could also see where they had installed a curb cut for those in wheel chairs or needing ramps. No pool lift that I could see to help someone lower in and out of the pool. This may be put away for the season so call to find out. They also had a ramp installed that led up to the pool. One side the old steps and the other side a new  ADA ramp.

The fire wood was in a white bag and that made it easy to move and kept the car clean which I appreciated. They also had bait so if you wanted to walk behind the pool and continue to the river it wouldn't be far to go fishing.

The shower house by us did not have an ADA bathroom and I didn't get a chance to look for the ADA shower.

Behind the campsites (our section) you could grab a short trail to the river. This was a lovely surprise as I followed a foot path.   We opted not to do the overlook hike to the gorge as we had fellow campers with us that couldn't do a long hike for safety reasons.  It as a nice surprise to learn that one could also drive to the overlook if they need to and all parties could enjoy the view together. Two different ways to get to the same place which means if you need to split up your campers based on physical skills then you could do so and then eat at the shelter together.

The camp ground has been FULL several times this season so make sure you make your reservations. This park also has a way for you to put on and take out of the river.  You will see folks walking around with their inner tubes as they will float down the small section.

We also drove 10 miles away to the Mohican Lodge to treat ourselves to some food and an OSU Football game at the bar downstairs. The bar has a great back patio and view of the lake.  It too has a variety of games in the back patio. They were awesome and turned on the closed caption feature for us.  Those of us that wanted to watched the game and others were able to play various games at the lodge (Ping pong, pool, read a book by the fire, go see the owls on site, and more).

The pool at the lodge is being redone at the moment. I may try to upload that information later.  So look for it to be new and improved. The pool also has a sauna for those that need some help to warm up/relax tight muscles. Usually, you can get a day pass for the lodge pool even when you are staying at the camp sites. This is a small fee but well worth it.

While we were at the lodge an outside non-profit group was there with 2 owls.  We hope to drive up to Mansfield sometime to explore their property (90 acres) with birds they have rescued or are helping. https://www.ohiobirdsanctuary.com/  they come to the lodge usually on Sat evening at 7 PM.

For those who are a fan of Shawshank Redemption the movie you are an easy day trip away from the Mansfield Reformatory. https://www.mrps.org/explore/tours

Needs Some work...

First, it is off-season so there are parts of the grounds I cannot make comment on like the pool, canoe, and kayak livery.

The sites of this place are spread out over a lot of acreages. We stayed at the bottom of the hill along the river. We have not had a lot of rain lately in Ohio so the river is low and not much to look at. Not the campgrounds fault at all!!

The spaces down by the river are large and relatively flat so easy to find a tent space. most have electric and water. Except what they call rustic at the very end of the road.

The only facilities are an outhouse. It was very very clean and did not smell inside or out! We did not go to the shower facilities which would have been at the top of the hill. There appears to be up near those facilities some permeant trailer campers. They do make you feel a little like an outsider as you drive in but once settled everything was great!

Camp store and check-in all take place in the same area. You can also buy wood bundles for $4.50 each or 3/12$. The store appears to be well equipped with everything from ice to s’mores fixings. Though again off-season means fewer things available.

We loved the space and the quiet of a night in the country. No light pollution so the stars were beautiful! After dark on disconcerting thing happened a huge crashing of a tree falling very close to where we were. In the dark, we could not tell or see how close it was. After an inspection in the morning, a very large tree had fallen across one of the primitive sites from outside of its boundaries.

After looking closely I would say some dead tree maintenance of the area at the bottom of the hill is way over due!! This could be hazardous to your health. We had no wind and no weather and yet the tree came down. Please be aware as you pick your site and your place to stake a tent.

Overall I would say as an offseason site it was a very adequate place to stay just be aware going in of some of the then-pit falls.

Very clean bathrooms! Beautiful sites with lake views.

I love this campground. Nice people and very clean! Lots of nice sites.

Everything costs extra

Austin lake offers plenty of fun with the lake.  Kayaking, inflatables,  beach,  but almost anything you want to do will cost you am additional charge. Need to use the bathhouse? Better take quarters….bc the showers are coin opperated.

It can be a fun time, just be warned it'll cost ya. $$$$

Very Clean!

Great campground, and atmosphere. Large cement RV sites. Large playground. Beautiful Lake.

Lovely primative camp site in Ohio

We went for a week of camping here for a NuCamp rally.

Super cute Christmas tree farm!

I loved staying at this farm! It is in the cuyahoga valley national park, so it is in a very central area if you want to explore! The views from the camp spots are incredible. We stayed in a lean to and it was so much fun! The bathroom was a Port o potty but it was very well maintained and clean.

Nice Spot

Plenty of space, and quarry swimming area is well maintained. Fun place to explore and relax!

Love it here!

We go every year and do the 20 mile kayaking trip, such a nice little spot along the river & the best way to kick off summer!

Good stay

When we discovered that Shenango Corps of Engineers park had closed early in September, we needed to find a home right away. This met our needs very well. Despite the fact that it’s not our normal kind of camping, in the woods, it was very comfortable. It does not feel crowded, sites were grassy and all utilities worked well. Owners are very nice people and are working to continually improve this property they just acquired a couple years ago. The park is largely seasonal but has several spots for drop-in RVS and tents. Big rig accessible. We reserved for 2 nights, stayed 3 and would return. Bathrooms were clean if a bit unique with a rope and pulley system of water delivery to the shower head. I appreciate that the owners have a desire to keep prices steady but wonder if consideration might be given to some kind of a discount such as a rate for more than two days, passport America, AARP, a weekday discount, a weekly rate ….. $35 is about five dollars more per night more than we typically pay.

Awesome state park with many amenities

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork at West Branch State Park

Campground Review:

This state park was very welcome after our first two unlucky Ohio state park experiences. We had no trouble pulling in at 3 pm on a Sunday after Labor Day with no reservations and snagging a very nice spot (Site 50 backs up to Kirwan Reservoir). There are two loops that are on Jay Lake where there is a beach; it was understandable that there weren’t any water view spots that had not been reserved here. A very quiet park that is well-maintained with lots of amenities. Even the rumbling of the nearby trains was on the quiet side! Nice playground with toy stocked sandpit, volleyball net, cheap laundry ($3 per load, wash and dry), dishwashing sinks, showers, and clean bathrooms. There was even a step stool for kids to be able to reach the sinks. A staffed store(9am-7pm on Sunday, 11am-7pm Monday– Thursday and 9 am– 8:30 pm on Saturday) with basic supplies and, of course, t-shirts and sweatshirts. Some of the sites have a slight grade so be cautious when selecting. Many trees that provide separation between sites. Several short hiking trails. A side note: I only saw one non-Ohio license plate besides ours in the entire park, almost like it is an Ohio secret (not anymore!)

-----------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the opportunity to test products. At this campground, I tested the large  Morsel Spork from Outdoor Element. I have to admit that when I unpacked my box from Outdoor Elements, I was surprised at how LONG our morsel sporks were(we have other sporks that are much shorter so I was expecting these to be a similar size) but then I saw a photo of someone using it with their freeze-dried meal and it was an aha moment! No need to dirty another dish because this mighty spork can reach to the bottom of the pouch with no problem! These sporks are also sturdier than others we have used. The rubber scraper edge is a nice touch – would be great for getting the last delicious bits of meals from the freeze-dried meal pouches and I’m thinking also in glass or plastic containers. A very nice addition to our camping tools.

Wonderful Getaway and family events

The Mohican Adventures experience was nothing short of wonderful. Me and a friend went in the middle of the week and as a result practically had the entire Buzzard section of the Primitive tent camping section to ourselves. The few staff members we did talk to were helpful and informative. To our pleasure we were generally left alone for the two nights we had stayed. Given that only a small handful of campers had shown up during the middle of the week and only one set of campers chose the Primitive sites we were allowed to chose any campsite available and were not forced to stick with the one we had reserved originally. This worked greatly in our favor seeing as the original campsite we chose did not have the require space needed for our two tents. We took advantage of their seven mile canoe trip which was rich with scenery and again, given the time we had choosen to go, we enjoyed much solitude on the river which took about 2.15 hours to traverse in our canoe.

Mohican Adventures is a great place for families with things like go-karts, aerial obstacle course, and other fun outdoor activities available. They also offer cabins and RV sites for those wanting a more modern camp experience. They also offered several bathroom locations and a shower house which were sufficiently clean. Definitely would recommend. The only downsides in my opinion is that if you choose to walk by foot around the campground rather then drive your car to the activities across the road then you better be prepared to climb some steep hills. Also the campsites are very close together so should you choose a time when they're busy, chances are you will be very close to other campers. All in all we had a great time and plan to go again.

Wooded Campground

This campground has seasonal sites and plenty on regular sites. They have an outdoor pool, game room, mini golf and a canoe livery.

Great weekend getaway

Spent a long weekend with the family. Nice cabins and trails.

To loud, to many drunks

We went for Labor Day. They had a band on Saturday Night, a DJ on Sunday. That is all u could hear thru the park. It was like redneck heaven. We will not be going back there.

Neat “Cliff Jumping” Location

Many of my friends from Ohio recommended checking out Nelson Ledges for apparent “cliff jumping” and a music festival. Overall the site is gorgeous with cliffs, a large lake, an island, beaches, pavilions, and decent travel roads. The cliffs aren’t that high and partially man made with cement pebbles. The rock-face was kind of painful to sit on due to its artificial nature. The location was cool, but felt very regulated and sterile. A lot of the rocks are man made with cement.There are also tons of signs up saying “no cliff jumping”, so it was kind of odd that it is known as a cliff jumping location. Definitely a pretty location with some decent amenities for campers!

Averagely Kool Family Campground

My friends and I were going to a festival in the Northeast Ohio area. The festival camping was full, so we stayed at this location for a night. The sites are very affordable if split between little people. This very family orientated campground has a gravel road system connecting a ton of camp spots, RV locations, mobile homes, a playground, a swimming lake, and a even a fishing lake. The ground itself is huge, so kids can have fun and run around with other kids in nearby sections of the campgrounds. Overall there are a ton of amenities and very friendly staff. We told the office lady we would be back late at night, and she gave us a special passcode to the gate. That was super kind of her. The land isn’t particularly pretty and the campsite for tent camping are rather close together, but it’s a good location overall for RV’s. I wouldn’t recommend this location if you’re trying to enjoy nature, because sites are pretty close together and certainly not secluded. There are positives for tent campers including water taps, outlets, trash receptacles, bathrooms, and hot showers.

Camping along the river

Stayed here for a night after a concert in Cuyahoga falls, good amount of sites pretty close together. All sites run along the river, just a short walk up to the bathrooms, pretty well taken care of. Has some really nice trails nearby, trailheads at the bridge. Popped a tire pulling into our campsite, some jagged metal on the ground be cautious! (We picked up as much as we could find and all other sites looked well cared for so shouldn't be an issue) More of a family camping spot it seems, but definitely not exclusively. Towards the back of campgrounds people tend to stay up later and maybe make a bit more noise, stay closer to the front if you need to get to sleep early

Huge wilderness escape

Nice stretch of forest in between Cleveland and Akron, stopped here on the way to a dead and co. show, gorgeous landscapes! Great views, trails for different skill levels casual walks or longer hikes there's something here for you. Would have liked to camp here as well but was packed from the concert and ended up staying in Mohican

Clean, maintained, family friendly

Awesome campground with many amenities!

Beautiful setting

The camp is beautiful. Opportunities for disc golf, archery range, canoing/kayaking/row boats, swimming (no lifeguard) and golf. Showerheads were to low for anyone over 5'7", and only a few sites were full hookup.

Quiet Campground with Private Tentsites

My girlfriend and I stayed at tent site 40 Friday August 9th and Saturday August 10th. Most of the sites were pretty private and ours was probably the most private and had a lot of space since we were on the very end of the road / cul-de-sac. I would definitely recommend this site if you like privacy but it is a longer walk to the bath house but we didn't mind that at all. The only thing I didn't like about the campground is that there is no wash tub / sink to wash your dishes which made clean up a little more of a chore. Other than that the staff were very friendly and it is overall a great campground.

A Private Campground (Resort) on the Mohican river.

This campground is a great location for families looking to stay on the Mohican River and to have activities for kids at the same time.  The campgrounds facilities has newer shower houses and a large game/community room.  On most weekends there are themed activities and chances to meet other campers. This resort is busy for most of the summer and sometimes feels a little cramped by how close some of the spots are.  You do need to be a member of Travel Resorts of America or one of there associated partners to stay here but I would recommend trying the free camping from them you will be happy you did.

My wife, Daughter (20 months), and Myself always have a great time here.

Free

Well maintained campground with a handful of sites. Pit toilets. Nice fishing pond. Gun range nearby.