the dyrt
Alum Creek Lake, OHIO
Most Recent Alum Creek Lake Camping Reviews
Smaller but Peaceful

We had a wonderful time at site 51. We went in 2017 for Father’s Day and they had family activities for it. They had a scavenger hunt which made us really experience the nature around us, going through the woods off trail, going to the lakeside, walking around looking for different things on a list. It helped there was a prize so it really put competition between us and two other families. Two of us tied so we were lucky enough to get the free boat ride and the other team that was part of the boy scouts got a free one night camping stay. The campground is smaller,peaceful and quite but yet no one got mad if kids played. We were right beside the playground so I was worried about rude and rowdy kids but nope. The kids were good and left the playground at a respectable time. Since we were the only family by the playground my kids quietly played there for a while all by themselves after dark while we were in eyesight relaxing at our camp site. There is also a roadway you can drive by the lake in the campground to fish. My husband and daughter liked it bc they could fish it at night time. You will need bug spray and lanterns bc it is darrrk! The only bad thing is there is no beach so on the hot days the kids get bored although we went to the fishing spot in the campground and let the kids play in the water. When we were there, there were no showers but the toilet was by our site so that was a plus (non flushing). There was also a water spicket close by the playground. So everything was close for us. The kids could play and explore safely within eye sight. We really enjoyed our stay and would go back in the cooler months due to there being no beach but there is plenty of trees for shade.

Smaller but Peaceful

"Secret" Fishing Spot

Between lot I believe 166 & 167 is a trail to go down to a small spot. Probably enough room for 2 small families or 1 large family to fish. It was perfect for my husband and 2 kids between 9pm to 1am to fish because no one else was there. They only caught a fish or two but they liked the experience and time together. It is a little of a trek down a small hill and we were careful but got my mother in law whose 70 to the water as long as we hung onto her arm. It is pitch black so bring headlamps or/and lanterns oh and mosquito spray! We liked it so much that we are going again and getting a site close to the fishing spot so it’s just a short walk to it!

Beautiful huge campsite but no shade

I loved our camp site we had it for one year loved it! Huge lot, private and shade. It was simply the perfect lot because sometimes we had two tents and or like to play corn hole and other games and need space. But we went back in June and July 2018 and we about died! It was so hot and miserable because they cut down two of the trees that gave us shade. Now it the perfect spot with nooo shade. We tried buying the canopies to give us artificial shade but it didn’t help. It was truly awful during the day. The kids went to the beach but my husband, mother in law (70) and I stayed at the site. Although it got so bad we either went to a store or sat in the truck with the A/C. Now when the sun started setting it was again perfect. We had a fire, played outdoor games and it is private enough you don’t have to worry about your neighbor listening to your conversation. The bathroom is right behind the site but far enough that there is no smell or foot traffic from people. We had 2 active dogs and it is perfect for them. Although I will not go back in the dead of the heat again. It would be a perfect spot for cooler months. We stayed in lot 140. Oh btw there is a “secret” fish spot by site 166 with a trail to walk down to the water. It’s about a 8 min walk from our site 140.

Peaceful ( Except for the train) and clean. Pretty.

Convenient to many activities and stores yet in the forest and along Alum Creek. Clean, flush toilets , showers heated. Recreation area and nature center on site. Swimming near by ,nature trails.dog park with doggie beach nearby and more.

The dog’s favorite campground!

This was the only park we’ve gone to this uear with both a large dog park AND a fenced in dog beach! Folks were friendly at the dog park with bunches of chairs set around like a conversation pit. Lots of water and dog tennis balls were available.

The dog beach was fenced so your dog can be off leash. There is even a fenced in area out in the water to keep the pooches from swimming across the Lake chasing geese.

The campground itself was quite nice and spacious. Some of the most private camping sites I’ve seen in Ohio. Shower facilities we a bit above average mad seemed to be looked after at least once a day (we were there in the off season).

IMHO, one of the nicest campgrounds in the state.

Great Campgrounds and Amenities

Mohican offers great accommodations and clean facilities. It’s not the most secluded spots but if you are looking for something tucked away there a few sites. The ability to tube down the river and walk back to your camp site was so much fun. Trailheads are located right of the grounds and the surrounding area is full of great things to do. If swimming is your thing the pool is clean and well maintained and situated between two ridgelines so you float and stare around at wooded hillsides. Great after a day of hiking or crushing the mountain biking trails. Grab a walk-in site or one by the river. No problems with hammocks in sites we chose but not all sites have enough mature trees.

Small cute campground

October weekends in Ohio State Park campgrounds are super popular so we weren’t able to make a reservation here. They do have a few walk up sites and we got there on a Thursday to make sure we got one. We luckily did and enjoyed our time at this campground. They do have flush toilets now, so that was nice. There is a trail that goes around the lake here that you can walk and there is also a mountain biking trail. We took advantage of both and really enjoyed them! The campground is relatively small, but it was nice! We were there as the leaves were changing and it was great! Our Sprint and Verizon hotspots both got great service here too. We were happy with this campground!

BrandyWine Falls

A beautiful waterfall that drops into a pretty deep collection area. Be careful after rains as this area has some rapid moving water and can overflow. Lovely area for a day camping and relaxing.

Large sites

First Campground site I went to had a large mud puddle full of hornets. I asked to move site and was accommodated. It was right after a heavy rain storm and so maybe it was just a fluke

Lots of hiking and nature to see.

Campground was clean.

Camping at its best

This is a great park. Has a large pavilion. Nice camp sites. Has many hiking trails. Amphitheater is good size.

One of my all-time favorites

Where the glaciers stopped and the hills of Ohio begin. I have always loved visiting and camping here. Rich in history, culture, and nature, it is very easy to spend days here and do it all. Camping, Fishing, hiking, canoeing, activities, programs, the list goes on. Some parts of the park do get crowded at certain times of the year but if you know where to go you feel like you are the only one there.

Home away from Home

The Newly renovated cabins here are amazing. It's peaceful and great place to just get away from it all.

Grandkids getaway

Nice peaceful park. Spacious sites, clean restrooms. Great space for the kids to get it and play.

Peaceful

This has been our go to spot for 30 years! Never a bad trip

Fantastic

What a great campground. From the activities for the kids to the nice spacious sites. We were there for the Halloween weekend and it was amazing. Can't wait to go back.

Close get-away

Beautiful campground, well kept up. It’s our get away quick weekend campground destination.

Primative Tent Camping

We were able to get friends together at Mohican Adventures for and evening together camping. The site itself is great, individual sites varied in size to so it was easy to accomodate all of us relatively close together. It was quiet and only a few others primative camping besides us so it felt nice and private. It was really nice camping in a site so heavily wooded. The staff was a little difficult registering us in and the bathhouse bathroom stalls are way too small, but all in all… we would go back for primative camping again. Mohican Adventures is very close to hiking and other activities in Mohican State Park and with the state park campground all reserved till kingdom come, Mohican Adventures was a blessing for all of us.

Good for RVs, Not Tents

This is a great campground for RVs with nice long pads and lots of shade. But it lacks a good selection of sites for tents.

The restrooms are newly refurbished and cleaned often. The staff are super friendly.

Would be 5 star except for this

Alum Creek is just beautiful, nice sites, most of them are at least partially shaded, lots of woods, hiking trails, the lake, it is what I think of when I think of State Park campground camping in Ohio. There are a couple problems. 1. Only ONE little dump station. This is a big campground, so if you're leaving Sunday, you better get up at the crack of dawn to get to the station, otherwise be prepared to wait in a long long line of RV's. We by-passed the long line and stopped at a different State Park campground on the way home and paid 10.00 to use their dump station. 2. They never answer their phone at the campground office. I mean NEVER. If you have a question you will just have to deal with the reserveamerica people who really know nothing other than what they read on the campground website. So basically you know as much as they do. It's maddening. We will go back, but it's a 2 hour drive so it won't be anytime soon.

First Timers at Buckeye Lake

It was a very nice Kampground, however, if you don't follow their rules, you will get admonished for it. We didn't get a car tag when we registered, and we were followed all the way in to our trailer demanding that it be displayed. You can't display something that isn't there.

A couple came up to us as we were setting up at midnight drunker than a skunk, but we entertained them for a little bit and then sent them on their way.

It was quiet and nice all around, except for ranger rick.

Campground with Water Park

I stayed at this campground because they hosted a wedding I attended. I chose to stay in a cabin, which was pretty pricy for what it was. for $175, it was a basic cabin with a queen bed and 2 twin bunk-beds, a very small bathroom with a toilet and shower, and a small kitchenette with a microwave, sink, and mini-fridge. The cabin was somewhat dirty - dust on the floor and spider webs in the corner. It had no bed linens, or towels, and the bathroom didn't even have a mirror.

There is a "lake" (more of a large pond) on the property, with fishing, and large inflatables to play on in the summer. There is also a disc golf course. The nearby town Lithopolis is cute, with some local coffee and dining, as well as antique shops.

Nice quiet place

Large, private sites, good electric service, reasonable distance to Columbus. I was confused about no on-site office, self check in. Lake is beautiful. Bathrooms are decent.

Large secluded sites!

Beautiful park. There is a camper’s beach and a dog park

The site are very secluded

Watch what sites you pick you might have a walking path to the bathrooms running through your site.

This campground is so quiet.

The gates lock at 10pm.

Very nice campground.

Go to the back of the campground. It is very quite.

Alum Creek State Park Campground

great state park campground. There are some full hook ups but mostly just electric. They have pancake breakfast on Saturday mornings through summer and doughnuts on Sunday. Helpful camphost. There is a campground beach and boat launch. Lost of hiking paths in the campground and in the park area. A great dog park with lake entrance for the pups. tmThere is also some mountain bike trails. Plenty to do for everyone.

Nice, roomy, with trees

This is a nice campground for Ohio because there are a lot of trees, making many sites secluded with privacy. I haven't camped here, I've just driven around because I boat on the creek, so I can't attest to the condition of the bathrooms.

Beware that sites close to the water may flood, or may be pretty damp in the spring.

The beaches are nice, the reservoir is nice for boating, but the horsepower allowed is too much if you want to kayak on the main water, in my opinion. There are nice inlets and coves where you can take smaller boats. Hopefully big boats observe the no wake zone, but they don't always. I don't think there is any hiking, the main attraction is the water and the beach.