Alum Creek Lake, OHIO
Most Recent Alum Creek Lake Camping Reviews
Very clean and spaced apart

Awesome very pretty nature scenery

Huge Campground

Lots of spaces! Lots of permanent campers. They have mobile phone service and wifi on site. We stayed in our own camper so we didn’t visit the bathrooms. The pool wasn’t open yet either. Lots of golf carts to rent. Nice people very helpful. Full service hookup was awesome! New stage area, is the party place on the weekends!

Fairgrounds, closest sites to downtown Columbus

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in June. It's massive, but there were only about 4 or 5 other RV's there. It wasn't until our 3rd day did someone come by to collect payment. Full hookups, close to downtown and $35/night. Trains are close and frequent.

Peaceful, quiet, and scenic.

Alum Creek State Park is just under 40 minutes from Columbus. It makes a great weekend getaway from the city. The campground offers some spots next to the water which have a wonderful view.

BFF camping trip

My best friends and I met here for a weekend campout. It’s was so nice just to relax, hangout and hit the local yarn stores. The pool was awesome too and even though it rained we still had a great time just being together. The store was nice and the people were too.

Great Campground with some areas for that Improvements

Very peaceful campground. There is a train track in the vicinity which every now and then you can hear…..but not bad. The lake is within walking distance from the campgrounds. Our dogs love this place especially when taken for long walks along the pavement. There is a market with great pizza nearby.

There is a nearby dog park as well.

The original check-in station burned down last year and the park has a temporary hut for check in. I hope they rebuild the check-in station and bring back the store. There are a lot of downed trees (either naturally fell or man made) which need to be cleaned up. Some sites can get flooded or become very muddy with heavy rains. The past few years have been problematic with ticks…so be vigilant.

Hidden treasure

This campsite is the destination for a relaxing weekend of camping with friends and family. There are hundreds of sites (RV and tent camping). The facilities were clean and well maintained. It’s an added bonus to have a frisbee golf course in the park!

Amzing place

I absolutely love the backpacking sites in the summer because they are secluded yet close by, although most have no cell service which isn’t a big deal for me! there is plenty to do & hike in the area. my last trip there was in late fall and i stayed in the traditional campground. it was wonderful because NO ONE was in the tent section and there was a beautiful view of the colorful trees. so relaxing and awesome! although i’m sure in the summer it’s packed & busy!!

Not really a camp ground

This is a parking lot at the fair grounds. I'm sure it's fine for people traveling for the fair but not what I would consider camping.

It's a trailer park

Not for camping. I'm sure you can score so meth here though. Right on a main road. Avoid

Nice place

Nice park. You can reserve spaces to backpack along the rei water trail and stay the night to test gear. Not huge, no crazy obstacles but great for last minute trips close to the city.

Simply stunning and amazing

What an outdoor lovers dream! Boating to fishing to disc golf you will not get bored! Enjoy a few hours or the day hiking one of eight trails or all of them. If you have horses take them out on the two loops especially for them. Lodge, campground, cabins so many options. The campground was clean, quiet and serene. Only electric at the sites, but 2 of your favorite fur babies are welcome.

Beautiful and relaxing

Great place to take the family and unwind. Good dog park for the furry ones. Bring your boat for some water fun, fish, or simply float around. 3 easy trails to venture out on and take in the parks amazing scenery. With more than 280 campsites and several cabins there’s something for everyone.

March trip

Lots of down trees throughout the park. Right now they’re available for anyone to come take & use. Some trash around the RV site. Otherwise a pretty quiet spot.

Fishing trip

The areas are nice easy to get to lake. However even with a boat I have fished here numerous times with very little luck.

Good hunting areas for pheasants.

Great pheasant hunting.

What I liked most about this park is that there hunting areas.

Has wouldful hunting areas.

Great

Level concrete pads with plenty of room between spaces. Some in the open & some with trees. Very peaceful.

Great

A great park with level concrete pads & space between sites. Some are in the open & some have trees. There is a store & a marina. There is a large lake for boating & fishing. The cabins are very nice!

Decent camping

The prime sites (lake view or secluded) are booked out way in advance. It is possible to bike to the park amenities (pool, lodge, beach) but it’s a haul. Nice golf course!

Rustic

I found Malabar Farm in Lucas, OH on my way home from Mom’s house. Never heard of it before and I have been this way for over 20 years now. Louis Bromfield was a conservationist and among many other things (including winning a Pulitzer) he was in the forefront of organic and self-sustaining gardening. This place is amazing! ( and would be an excellent home schoolers camping trip!) Not your typical going hiking kinda campground (there are trails but they are not “major”) you come here to step away from city life and tour a working farm. Ohio countryside at its best. Primitive camping with a gravel parking pad and water, fire ring, picnic table and hitching post. No reservations, this is a first come campground. There’s also a small rentable cabin open year round. Definitely worth a visit and very family oriented events. ( your teenager will roll their eyes at you but probably secretly enjoy the visit)

Good Family Campground

We spent a weekend here with two other families (9 kids total) and had a wonderful time! The kids loved the swimming pools and splash pads, the awesome play ground and lots of playing in the creek. There was a huge thunderstorm one of the nights, where we initially retreated to our vans; but then decided to drive up to the store and got ice cream which made the kids super excited about the rain (getting to stay up late and have ice cream!!). And they let all the tent dwellers use the game room to relax in and ride out the worst of the storm. We had so much fun, we will definitely come back. Oh, and the bathrooms were really nice!!

Smaller but Peaceful

We had a wonderful time at site 51. We went in 2017 for Father’s Day and they had family activities for it. They had a scavenger hunt which made us really experience the nature around us, going through the woods off trail, going to the lakeside, walking around looking for different things on a list. It helped there was a prize so it really put competition between us and two other families. Two of us tied so we were lucky enough to get the free boat ride and the other team that was part of the boy scouts got a free one night camping stay. The campground is smaller,peaceful and quite but yet no one got mad if kids played. We were right beside the playground so I was worried about rude and rowdy kids but nope. The kids were good and left the playground at a respectable time. Since we were the only family by the playground my kids quietly played there for a while all by themselves after dark while we were in eyesight relaxing at our camp site. There is also a roadway you can drive by the lake in the campground to fish. My husband and daughter liked it bc they could fish it at night time. You will need bug spray and lanterns bc it is darrrk! The only bad thing is there is no beach so on the hot days the kids get bored although we went to the fishing spot in the campground and let the kids play in the water. When we were there, there were no showers but the toilet was by our site so that was a plus (non flushing). There was also a water spicket close by the playground. So everything was close for us. The kids could play and explore safely within eye sight. We really enjoyed our stay and would go back in the cooler months due to there being no beach but there is plenty of trees for shade.

Smaller but Peaceful

"Secret" Fishing Spot

Between lot I believe 166 & 167 is a trail to go down to a small spot. Probably enough room for 2 small families or 1 large family to fish. It was perfect for my husband and 2 kids between 9pm to 1am to fish because no one else was there. They only caught a fish or two but they liked the experience and time together. It is a little of a trek down a small hill and we were careful but got my mother in law whose 70 to the water as long as we hung onto her arm. It is pitch black so bring headlamps or/and lanterns oh and mosquito spray! We liked it so much that we are going again and getting a site close to the fishing spot so it’s just a short walk to it!

Beautiful huge campsite but no shade

I loved our camp site we had it for one year loved it! Huge lot, private and shade. It was simply the perfect lot because sometimes we had two tents and or like to play corn hole and other games and need space. But we went back in June and July 2018 and we about died! It was so hot and miserable because they cut down two of the trees that gave us shade. Now it the perfect spot with nooo shade. We tried buying the canopies to give us artificial shade but it didn’t help. It was truly awful during the day. The kids went to the beach but my husband, mother in law (70) and I stayed at the site. Although it got so bad we either went to a store or sat in the truck with the A/C. Now when the sun started setting it was again perfect. We had a fire, played outdoor games and it is private enough you don’t have to worry about your neighbor listening to your conversation. The bathroom is right behind the site but far enough that there is no smell or foot traffic from people. We had 2 active dogs and it is perfect for them. Although I will not go back in the dead of the heat again. It would be a perfect spot for cooler months. We stayed in lot 140. Oh btw there is a “secret” fish spot by site 166 with a trail to walk down to the water. It’s about a 8 min walk from our site 140.

Peaceful ( Except for the train) and clean. Pretty.

Convenient to many activities and stores yet in the forest and along Alum Creek. Clean, flush toilets , showers heated. Recreation area and nature center on site. Swimming near by ,nature trails.dog park with doggie beach nearby and more.

The dog’s favorite campground!

This was the only park we’ve gone to this uear with both a large dog park AND a fenced in dog beach! Folks were friendly at the dog park with bunches of chairs set around like a conversation pit. Lots of water and dog tennis balls were available.

The dog beach was fenced so your dog can be off leash. There is even a fenced in area out in the water to keep the pooches from swimming across the Lake chasing geese.

The campground itself was quite nice and spacious. Some of the most private camping sites I’ve seen in Ohio. Shower facilities we a bit above average mad seemed to be looked after at least once a day (we were there in the off season).

IMHO, one of the nicest campgrounds in the state.

Great Campgrounds and Amenities

Mohican offers great accommodations and clean facilities. It’s not the most secluded spots but if you are looking for something tucked away there a few sites. The ability to tube down the river and walk back to your camp site was so much fun. Trailheads are located right of the grounds and the surrounding area is full of great things to do. If swimming is your thing the pool is clean and well maintained and situated between two ridgelines so you float and stare around at wooded hillsides. Great after a day of hiking or crushing the mountain biking trails. Grab a walk-in site or one by the river. No problems with hammocks in sites we chose but not all sites have enough mature trees.

Small cute campground

October weekends in Ohio State Park campgrounds are super popular so we weren’t able to make a reservation here. They do have a few walk up sites and we got there on a Thursday to make sure we got one. We luckily did and enjoyed our time at this campground. They do have flush toilets now, so that was nice. There is a trail that goes around the lake here that you can walk and there is also a mountain biking trail. We took advantage of both and really enjoyed them! The campground is relatively small, but it was nice! We were there as the leaves were changing and it was great! Our Sprint and Verizon hotspots both got great service here too. We were happy with this campground!