Yurts

This recreation area is part of Michael J Kirwan Lake

West Branch State Park is located in Ohio
33 Reviews of West Branch State Park
It’s great!

My family has been going to this camp for years! It’s been updated a few times over the years, for the better! It has everything you need. Boat ramps for the lake in the campground, multiple shower houses, large and small campsites with full and primitive options! Tent and pull through RV sites as well. They have a few miles of hiking trails even horse trails! They do events through out the year. Our favorite Halloween! Camper decorate their sites and do trick or treating for the kids. They even do a haunted trail where volunteers set up to scare everyone! We had a spot on the trail for years lol

Camper friendly.

I camp at West Branch often. I have a kayak so I tend to choose the sites  that allow easy access to a put in. The shower house and bathrooms are always clean. There is a double sink outside of the shower house to do dishes in. The lake accommodates jet skis, power boats, fishing boats, kayaks and SUPs. There are no wake zones available. Family friendly, safe environment.

A nice spot to enjoy a sunset

Camp here all the time. Close to home and very convenient Park is always clean and there are many sites with a view of the reservoir.

Very clean bathrooms! Beautiful sites with lake views.

I love this campground. Nice people and very clean! Lots of nice sites.

Awesome state park with many amenities

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork at West Branch State Park

Campground Review:

This state park was very welcome after our first two unlucky Ohio state park experiences. We had no trouble pulling in at 3 pm on a Sunday after Labor Day with no reservations and snagging a very nice spot (Site 50 backs up to Kirwan Reservoir). There are two loops that are on Jay Lake where there is a beach; it was understandable that there weren’t any water view spots that had not been reserved here. A very quiet park that is well-maintained with lots of amenities. Even the rumbling of the nearby trains was on the quiet side! Nice playground with toy stocked sandpit, volleyball net, cheap laundry ($3 per load, wash and dry), dishwashing sinks, showers, and clean bathrooms. There was even a step stool for kids to be able to reach the sinks. A staffed store(9am-7pm on Sunday, 11am-7pm Monday– Thursday and 9 am– 8:30 pm on Saturday) with basic supplies and, of course, t-shirts and sweatshirts. Some of the sites have a slight grade so be cautious when selecting. Many trees that provide separation between sites. Several short hiking trails. A side note: I only saw one non-Ohio license plate besides ours in the entire park, almost like it is an Ohio secret (not anymore!)

-----------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the opportunity to test products. At this campground, I tested the large  Morsel Spork from Outdoor Element. I have to admit that when I unpacked my box from Outdoor Elements, I was surprised at how LONG our morsel sporks were(we have other sporks that are much shorter so I was expecting these to be a similar size) but then I saw a photo of someone using it with their freeze-dried meal and it was an aha moment! No need to dirty another dish because this mighty spork can reach to the bottom of the pouch with no problem! These sporks are also sturdier than others we have used. The rubber scraper edge is a nice touch – would be great for getting the last delicious bits of meals from the freeze-dried meal pouches and I’m thinking also in glass or plastic containers. A very nice addition to our camping tools.

Great Site

My wife, 2 dogs, and I came with no reservation. They gave us a temporary tag to drive around and see what site we wanted. We ended up going to site 190 which had a decent amount of space to tent camp. The amenities were great. Clean shower and toilets in a well lit building.  There is also a dog park with a pond 2 minutes up the road which was great to wear the dogs out at. The only complaint I have is the site was a little close to our neighbor for our liking but we would go back!

Perfect with a large P!

Showed up and wasn’t sure to expect but wow! We had a water view site and it’s perfect! We were at site 58. It was long and skinny so our camper near the road and the fire was 20 yards away. It was a perfect site for us. Some trees provides privacy between sites but also some sites were perfect for groups. Facilities were ideal and very well kept! The lake is busy and very peaceful at the same time. Beach was full so just know you won’t have it to yourself. Great campground!

Beautiful views!

Pros: It was very easy and fast to check in. We stayed at site #14 and had such a nice view of the lake. There were many sites there that had lovely views. The shower houses were kept pretty clean. They had many shower houses and dumpsters around the campground. Our campsite was also clean upon arrival. There wasn't any trash left behind from previous campers.

Cons: We stayed for 2 nights. Our first night was loud. People were up yelling and listening to loud music until 11:30pm. Quiet time starts at 10:00pm and I dont believe that is strictly enforced. The second night was much better.

Wooded Waterside Sites

Make reservations! (6 months in advance).  Waterside sites fill up quickly! Check in is very easy as you pass the camp store on your way in. All campsites have a fire ring and picnic table.  West Branch has private, spacious, shady sites. We can launch our kayaks right from our campsite. The shower house and bathrooms are large and clean. There is even a book exchange shelf at the shower house in case of rainy days. The park office loans games and sports equipment to campers. Washers and dryers are also at the shower house. There is an outside sink to wash up dishes. Bring your boat or kayak. There are many inlets to explore or fish. There is a small beach at the campground but a larger one on the other side of the lake. There is a boat launch at the campground.  There are playgrounds for the children. An ice cream social is held on Saturday evenings that my children always love to attend. There is a newer dog park near the intersection of Rock Spring  and Esworthy roads. There are many scenic hiking trails at West Branch. Bridal trails are located on Esworthy Rd. West Branch is our favorite campground and we make sure to visit every year.

Just a place to sleep...hot and stinky

We stayed in site 169 for just one night. We’ve been before and have enjoyed the two other sites we had. This site was chosen for convenience more than what site it was. The campground was packed with tents and campers. Our site was near a small beach so there was a lot of foot and bicycle traffic. You could tell there had been a lot rain as they threw down mulch to cover mud at our site. The drainage ditch stunk a bit and the mosquitoes were alive and hungry. On a happier note, there are great bathrooms with flush toilets, shower rooms, washer and dryers and outside sinks to wash your dishes. We walked around to check out other sites and the ones by the lake were very nice. We marked a few to remember for another time. You really need to know your sites or you may be very close to your neighbors.