Yurts
About West Branch State Park

This recreation area is part of Michael J Kirwan Lake

West Branch State Park is located in Ohio
30 Reviews of West Branch State Park
Very clean bathrooms! Beautiful sites with lake views.

I love this campground. Nice people and very clean! Lots of nice sites.

Awesome state park with many amenities

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork at West Branch State Park

Campground Review:

This state park was very welcome after our first two unlucky Ohio state park experiences. We had no trouble pulling in at 3 pm on a Sunday after Labor Day with no reservations and snagging a very nice spot (Site 50 backs up to Kirwan Reservoir). There are two loops that are on Jay Lake where there is a beach; it was understandable that there weren’t any water view spots that had not been reserved here. A very quiet park that is well-maintained with lots of amenities. Even the rumbling of the nearby trains was on the quiet side! Nice playground with toy stocked sandpit, volleyball net, cheap laundry ($3 per load, wash and dry), dishwashing sinks, showers, and clean bathrooms. There was even a step stool for kids to be able to reach the sinks. A staffed store(9am-7pm on Sunday, 11am-7pm Monday– Thursday and 9 am– 8:30 pm on Saturday) with basic supplies and, of course, t-shirts and sweatshirts. Some of the sites have a slight grade so be cautious when selecting. Many trees that provide separation between sites. Several short hiking trails. A side note: I only saw one non-Ohio license plate besides ours in the entire park, almost like it is an Ohio secret (not anymore!)

-----------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the opportunity to test products. At this campground, I tested the large  Morsel Spork from Outdoor Element. I have to admit that when I unpacked my box from Outdoor Elements, I was surprised at how LONG our morsel sporks were(we have other sporks that are much shorter so I was expecting these to be a similar size) but then I saw a photo of someone using it with their freeze-dried meal and it was an aha moment! No need to dirty another dish because this mighty spork can reach to the bottom of the pouch with no problem! These sporks are also sturdier than others we have used. The rubber scraper edge is a nice touch – would be great for getting the last delicious bits of meals from the freeze-dried meal pouches and I’m thinking also in glass or plastic containers. A very nice addition to our camping tools.

Great Site

My wife, 2 dogs, and I came with no reservation. They gave us a temporary tag to drive around and see what site we wanted. We ended up going to site 190 which had a decent amount of space to tent camp. The amenities were great. Clean shower and toilets in a well lit building.  There is also a dog park with a pond 2 minutes up the road which was great to wear the dogs out at. The only complaint I have is the site was a little close to our neighbor for our liking but we would go back!

Perfect with a large P!

Showed up and wasn’t sure to expect but wow! We had a water view site and it’s perfect! We were at site 58. It was long and skinny so our camper near the road and the fire was 20 yards away. It was a perfect site for us. Some trees provides privacy between sites but also some sites were perfect for groups. Facilities were ideal and very well kept! The lake is busy and very peaceful at the same time. Beach was full so just know you won’t have it to yourself. Great campground!

Beautiful views!

Pros: It was very easy and fast to check in. We stayed at site #14 and had such a nice view of the lake. There were many sites there that had lovely views. The shower houses were kept pretty clean. They had many shower houses and dumpsters around the campground. Our campsite was also clean upon arrival. There wasn't any trash left behind from previous campers.

Cons: We stayed for 2 nights. Our first night was loud. People were up yelling and listening to loud music until 11:30pm. Quiet time starts at 10:00pm and I dont believe that is strictly enforced. The second night was much better.

Wooded Waterside Sites

Make reservations! (6 months in advance).  Waterside sites fill up quickly! Check in is very easy as you pass the camp store on your way in. All campsites have a fire ring and picnic table.  West Branch has private, spacious, shady sites. We can launch our kayaks right from our campsite. The shower house and bathrooms are large and clean. There is even a book exchange shelf at the shower house in case of rainy days. The park office loans games and sports equipment to campers. Washers and dryers are also at the shower house. There is an outside sink to wash up dishes. Bring your boat or kayak. There are many inlets to explore or fish. There is a small beach at the campground but a larger one on the other side of the lake. There is a boat launch at the campground.  There are playgrounds for the children. An ice cream social is held on Saturday evenings that my children always love to attend. There is a newer dog park near the intersection of Rock Spring  and Esworthy roads. There are many scenic hiking trails at West Branch. Bridal trails are located on Esworthy Rd. West Branch is our favorite campground and we make sure to visit every year.

Just a place to sleep...hot and stinky

We stayed in site 169 for just one night. We’ve been before and have enjoyed the two other sites we had. This site was chosen for convenience more than what site it was. The campground was packed with tents and campers. Our site was near a small beach so there was a lot of foot and bicycle traffic. You could tell there had been a lot rain as they threw down mulch to cover mud at our site. The drainage ditch stunk a bit and the mosquitoes were alive and hungry. On a happier note, there are great bathrooms with flush toilets, shower rooms, washer and dryers and outside sinks to wash your dishes. We walked around to check out other sites and the ones by the lake were very nice. We marked a few to remember for another time. You really need to know your sites or you may be very close to your neighbors.

A ++

Always a great time at West Branch. The staff are very friendly and care a great deal about the quality of everyone's experience - they inspect and clean each site after the sites are vacated. The quiet hours are truly quiet, the bathrooms are very clean and fresh. Decided to rent a pontoon for the day - the boats were also very clean and well kept - they also have the option of an inner tube or jet skis if you want to rent those as well!

Camper friendly

You need to make reservations well in advance for the “primo” sites. The bathrooms are clean and include a laundry and sinks outside to wash your dishes. Campground hosts and staff are friendly and helpful. Sites are roomy and clean. Lots of variety. If you’re into hiking, disc golf, kayaking, fishing, equestrian pursuits, etc, this is the park for you.

It's Ohio

Nice campground! Some sites were very muddy, but too be expected in the early spring! Plenty of sites to choose from day of and ended up with a loop nearly to ourselves. Though the other people who did come in were partying loud into the early morning hours. Still overall pleasant experience. Expensive but has a fun little disc golf course which always makes my boyfriend happy!