Clarence J. Brown Dam and Reservoir, OHIO

Camping Ohio Clarence J. Brown Dam and Reservoir
Most Recent Clarence J. Brown Dam and Reservoir Camping Reviews
Quiet and Convenient

There are 38 grass sites that are a bit snug, but mostly pleasant. New in June 2019 are 18 gravel padded sites, with lots of space. All sites are W/E. All the new gravel sites and half the grass ones have 50/30/20A electric, the rest are 30/20A. The park has a dump station. Two of the gravel sites have sewer hookup.
All sites are clean, with tables and fire rings. There is a very nice and clean restroom/shower facility. Walking path and playground are adjacent to the campground. There is a nice swimming pool at the south end of the village park. Campers get a discounted admission. Most all sites have lots of shade.

Fun time at Fall Fest

This was our first trip with our camper we recently purchased. We live very close so we thought it would be a safe trip for being newbies. The sites, while somewhat close to each other, are very well secluded. Which can be good or bad depending on if you are going with multiple families vs just one family. Bathrooms were clean. They only have a few “full hookup” sites, so plan on filling fresh water tanks. Most sites do have 50/30 amp service. They have provided fire rings with flip over grates and include a picnic table. We went the first weekend in October for their annual fall fest which I would highly recommend. They do trick or treating and many people go all out with decorating their sites. They also have pumpkin panting, haunted trails, archery, face panting, scavenger hunts and more.

Excellent staff, well maintained

While the tent spots did not have a lot of shade, the sites are close to the lake and make for some wonderful sunsets. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful and all in all it was a great stay. We rented bikes from the camp store and swam at the beach which was conveniently close to the tent sites. Lots of fun and 10/10 would return again. I'm excited to come back and see how the young trees they have growing in the tent sites take off.

Cabin by the river

Cabin A, . Check-in time is 2pm and check out is 12pm. Please remember to bring your own linens, Morgan's does not supply sheets for the cabins. There are 2 twin mattresses and 1 full size mattress. **Helpful information from their reservation email.

They have 4 cabins in our area which would be nice to get another family to join us.  Then each family has their own cabin to retire to at the end of the day.

https://www.morganscanoe.com/ This site is close to King's Island and Fort Ancient. It also was next to a bike trail.  Close to the Little Miami Bike Trail this was easy to walk on with my friend and her two little ones.  The trail was paved which was a huge help for those of us who were extra short and didn't always attend to their surroundings when walking.

We were a little nervous as the cabin is so close the river. This is part of the charm but when you have a 3 year old in your group then it is smart to keep an extra sharp eye on the kiddo as the river is a huge draw.  We enjoyed being able to be close to the river and then being inside with a floor/door which a tent wouldn't have given us that extra security.  We had plenty of space for my friend, her two kids, and me.

The cabin didn't have heat and I tend to get cold easily.  For the average person in the summer and spring you will be fine. I needed to layer up. We had two little ones so during the day instead of the usual King's Island we went to Entertainment Junction. https://entertrainmentjunction.com/ and I was also able to get a Groupon to reduce the cost.

Price:$60.00/night for 2 Adults and up to 3 kids(3-16 years of age) 2-night minimum  required for weekends and 3-night required for holiday weekends.  The cabins weren't on top of each other. I felt that this was a better deal than some other local cabin prices and the atmosphere was better as well .

The tent sites which I explored on my walks are huge. A great camp site to have a bunch of friends meet up and camp at as it is so close to Cincinnati. This camp site, is far enough to get away but close enough.  This means that everyone can easily get there after work. We didn't want a long car drive with two little ones and this was a great way to start exposing them to camping in our "backyard".

The prices equal the local state parks but the sites are bigger.  The area has huge trees and grassy areas to put your tents up without feeling like your neighbors are right in your space.

A fond memory of a cabin

I was looking for this camp site on Dyrt as I had a fond memory of the quiet night that I spent there on a Sept. school night. I needed to be close by and this was perfect for me.

The cabins based on current information from their website some of them are not being rented due to the massive amount of rains we have had in recent times.  The cabins were clean, warm, and safe. The price was reasonable.  I enjoyed the quiet nature of the campground as I was there during a week day and non-peak season.

I also knew that it was close to an outdoor drama. I was researching the play again but I have just realized that I have missed the season again. I will try again next year to make it back to the classic play. I went as a child and want to see the play again with adult eyes.  http://tecumsehdrama.com/

I am not a bike rider but I do know that I saw a bike trail very close to this camp ground.

I went by to the near by town to Frankfort and had an enjoyable pizza meal. The owner of the campsite was able to give me some ideas for meals.  I then put the left overs in the fridge in the cabin.  She even guided me to the cabin when I had trouble finding it as it was tucked away in the hill side (part of the charm).  The leaves falling it made it tricky for me to be confident in how to get to the cabin.

Pretty lake. Campground like a parking lot

Wow! Beautiful place, huge lake, very peaceful out by the water.

Campground was not the best- sites were VERY close together, with most of the campground completely exposed with no shade. It was like trying to relax on a huge parking lot jammed with RVs and people. At most of the sites, you'd literally have a family up against you 20 feet to the left and a family 20 feet to the right. This might be fun for kids, but not fun if you are looking for some peace and quiet.

The bathrooms were average for Ohio State parks- icky and grungy, but not gag-worthy. I'm used to the ickiness of state park bathrooms, so I wasn't grossed out. The showers and toilets nearest my site had big puddles of standing water full of dirt, bandaids, plastic wrappers and other gross items floating there the duration of the weekend. One sink was full of dirt the entire weekend. Showers were hot though, which is always a plus.

Great place for kayaking. There was a little free library, which is a great idea. The snack bar was hopping the whole time. They need to make more than one pot of coffee at a time in the mornings (1 pot when they have 249 sites? They are missing out on $$!!), but I only buy coffee on the morning I'm packing up.

Overall, I enjoyed it here, but I'd only go if there are LOTS of free sites and you know you aren't jammed up against 2-3 other groups of people.

Full Moon night paddle on the Lake

Cowan Lake State Park - A friend and I were able to kayak on the lake the night of a Friday the 13th moon. It was beautiful. Sadly, no pictures as I do not have a water proof camera. The next day we also went out for another paddle under the bright sun.  The boat ramp and parking lot is easy to use and has a good layout.  They do have some tent sites close to the boat ramp area and you can see the lake from those tent sites.

Our campsite did not have any trees but they have planted a lot of new trees. I assume this due the previous trees having to be cut down due to Emerald Ash borer damage. Our campsite didn't have any shade but others did so you really have to pick wisely.

The trails here are easy and short.  I loved the informational boxes and tags that they had on the trees or plants.  This is helpful if you have little ones with you or if you are like me and just like to learn about the animals/plants on the trail.

The park also had a lending library and walking stick lending program. I thought these were simple but memorable features for this park.

Our campsite was close to two different bathroom structures.  One right behind our site was toilets only. This did mean that sometimes folks would walk on the edge or through the camp site at times.  The other bathroom structure was further down the road and it had both toilets and showers.  The larger bathroom had an ADA shower in it as well.

The camp store was well stocked and you could rent bikes from the store. These bikes were often all over the campground so be extra careful when driving in the park.  They do have the orange flag but as they are low to the ground it is hard to see them at times.

The cabins here have both a fire ring and grill. This isn't the case at all Ohio State parks so it was a nice surprise.  They also have a porch that is screened in with a view of the lake. You are not able to walk down to the lake from the cabin but it is a lovely view.

For those who want to "Walk-On" camp please take a look at the photo of the neon yellow paper as how the park approaches this will be different in the future.

**Not all photos or videos uploading so some information may be missing. I will try to upload again later.

My first year of Cabrewing

My husband and I did our first year of cabrewing at Morgan's. We had a wonderful time. The price was reasonable and the staff was extremely helpful. We loved the fact that we were able to bring our own canoes. The price us also very reasonable. Our campsite was beautiful, with an amazing view of White Water River. The float itself was also a lot of fun. I wouldn't advise bringing young children though, or maybe even any children. It's basically a party on the river. I'm definitely not complaining either. We will definitely be back next year.

Don’t camp here.

I suppose this is a “campground”, but it has some of the worst characters in the city living there. Pass.

Great for RVs and families

Beautiful park and camping if you like a parking lot for RVs. Lots of families and pets. Not great for tents but theres a couple ok spots. Not secluded. Very little shade but lots to do at the park and its very clean.

Camp on the river

Location is great it's near Kings Island and the river is perfect for canoeing and kayaking. There is a paved bike trail and Fort Ancient is nearby. It was nice but lots of broken glass people loud into the night and a not so friendly staff. Be warned it's also 5$ to rent a grate for your fire pit.

Spread out well

Nice place, spread out, plenty of room between sites, very little shade as they have cut down a whole lot of trees.

Popular

Nice place but always packed in the weekends. This is a great place to visit if you don't mind a packed campground at top dollar. Very expensive compared to other places.

Great spot

Very family friendly

Quiet place

Great place with lots of area for fishing, small boat access.

Canoeing, Kayaking, and all the fun

Morgan’s is amazing! They have been around for a few generations and provide canoeing, rafting, and kayaking at different trip lengths for a great price. There are plenty of spots along the beautiful Little Miami River Valley to pull your canoe off to the side and sit and hang out. Clean showers and restrooms, transportation from the kayak end site back to your campsite, a market…and conservation efforts on top of it all. They help the bees and monarchs. Love this place!!

Really nice.

I like the beach, wish they could have a beach dog to chase away the geese.

Camping is also nice. More trees please.

Love the Meteor Show Campout on the beach. Best even of my summer.

Amazing place

As always a great experience!! Friendly staff, beautiful grounds, overall excellent

Nice little weekend getaway

Stayed 2 nights here. Had a back-in, water/electric spot that was roomy as we were on an end. Wood deck, picnic table, and fire ring included. Very well kept grounds, friendly staff, and all-around good atmosphere.

Good for a summer night

After not being able to camp a majority of the summer due to having 2 brain surgeries - it was nice to at least get one camping trip in before the kids start back school. It was definitely not an easy task to get a camp site here as a walk-in. We checked on reserve America several times with no luck. So finally when Friday (8/9) morning came I rushed up to buck creek to get a spot. The camp store opened a little after the posted time. I politely asked the attendant if they had any walk-up sites available and at first she said no. I then said you don’t have anything at all? She finally said they had a few non-electric sites (which was totally fine!) I happily paid for the site and we sat up. The park was totally FULL by evening. The attendant at the store wasn’t the friendliest. It was slightly upsetting she tried to hide that they had a few non-electrics available. We also witnessed her telling children/teens they couldn’t come into the camp store without an adult. And, there was a stray, very scrawny looking cat that hung around the camp store that some people were giving food. The attendant came out of the store and yelled at the kids for feeding it - instead of explaining why they shouldn’t. The camp store is very basic it has wood, ice, lighters, and things of that nature. The camp sites can feel a bit cramped (especially when they’re full) they’re about 15ft from one cement pad to the next. The restrooms were okay and by Saturday evening desperately needed cleaned. Also in the main woman’s restroom only one out of three stall doors actually locked. The showers were warm though so that is a positive especially when camping. The camp doesn’t do very many planned activities. They have a movie at dark which our kiddos enjoyed. They have a basketball court which is usually full of teens. The playground is nice and within walking distance from all the campsites. However our 6 year old was a bit disappointed that the tetherball didn’t have a ball. Buck Creek has a lot of great trails to hike. It is very common to see wildlife especially deer on a hike here. The kids love it and it’s always fun to look for big foot on hikes for them.

Love it!! We were by the “secret” fishing spot

We had a lot of fun. Spot was big. Shared open space but that family stayed on their side and we stayed on ours. We had woods behind us and raccoons and even a deer came to visit us. My husband and I stayed up till 4 am just enjoying the wildlife. The deer was in the grassy area beside us and the raccoons were in the woods behind us. Brave little suckers came up and stiles my marshmallows right in front of me. They did not try to attack us or anything just wanted our snacks. Lol. Oh and the best thing is there’s a spot to the lake just one space down to go fishing! We’ve been there twice and only had one hit but it’s peaceful. Lot 162. Also if you scope out the area there’s several public fishing spots between the campground and the beach. Look for them during the day!

Great Visit with Lake View

We went during the week and it was so nice! No one was at the beach except a couple families, great view of the lake, we camped on B105 which was a great site. Would definitely recommend!! They even have boat slips next to all the campsites in the canal.

Amazing

We have stayed here about a year now and they are amazing and we love this place.

Big Grassy Sites, Little Shade

We stayed at site #51 this weekend. The site was was large and grassy, just not a lot of shade. There is nothing to separate the sites so your neighbors can see and hear everything. They have flush toilets and showers, but the bathhouses are not very big. The non-handicap stall was very, very small. Lots of places to get water if needed. The campground has a ton of hiking trails within itself and mountain bike trails too. We did buy wood at the camp store and it was horrible. I would recommend bringing your own. The fire rings were good and the camper pads were pretty level. Dogs are welcome in most sites and they do have full hookup as well. We did have a raccoon up in the tree next to us but it didn’t bother us.

Indian lake state campground

So far, so good haven’t been here long

Close to Columbus

Nice campgrounds with a big reservoir for boating and fishing. There is a beach area as well for sunbathers. Fenced dog park in the area that I use often. Located between Sunbury and Delaware so there are plenty of places to restock.

Words can’t describe

I remember when that built this lake and they have improved it so much. It is very clean and camping there is wonderful. How ever book ahead as it books up fast. The lake has a beach and there is very good fishing there. They have a splendid walking and biking path. It is so peaceful

Family friendly

Pros: nice playground, pool area, long spots for easy pull through. Cute town Cons: sites are fairly close to each other.

Cozy cabin cured my camping craving!

The adorable cabin fulfilled my tiny home dreams and camping craving! The cozy cabin had a queen bed, twin bunks and a sofa that made out to a full size sleeper. Kitchen included a fridge, sink and single cup coffee maker. Coffee k cups were provided in a few different varieties as well as sugar and creamer packs. Bathroom had tub/shower, clothesline to dry swim suits or hand-washed clothes, toilet, sand sink vanity. Bedding and towels were provided and were crisp, clean white. WiFi was a bonus and although it wasn’t the fastest it was very useful when looking up nearby activities. Our cabin had a grill, an outdoor table with four chairs, a swing and a fire pit which we enjoyed our last night there. Staff was friendly and helpful. There were laundry facilities within the park and lots of activities but we didn’t take advantage of any of that during our brief stay. Overall, we were very pleased and would gladly stay again!

Small