Clarence J. Brown Dam and Reservoir, OHIO
Most Recent Clarence J. Brown Dam and Reservoir Camping Reviews
Grew up in this campground

Unfortunately they lost most of the trees to disease. It’s a great campground for families looking for lots to do. Not good for someone seeking solitude and quiet. Plenty of activities for kids. Swimming and fishing were my favorites as a kid in the ‘70s there.

Yellow Springs!

I love everything about John Bryan State Park and the surrounding town. Not only is there a great place to camp and hike, there is a cute little hippie town not too far away! If you wanted a relaxing day in the woods it’s there but you’re not too far away from the town to go in to grab a bite to eat for dinner.

Stupid expensive but nice

We just stopped in for the night. We paid $77 for a pull through with full hookups and a picnic table. The grounds are sprawling and the staff is friendly.

Fairgrounds, closest sites to downtown Columbus

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in June. It's massive, but there were only about 4 or 5 other RV's there. It wasn't until our 3rd day did someone come by to collect payment. Full hookups, close to downtown and $35/night. Trains are close and frequent.

Peaceful, quiet, and scenic.

Alum Creek State Park is just under 40 minutes from Columbus. It makes a great weekend getaway from the city. The campground offers some spots next to the water which have a wonderful view.

Fantastic park

Beautiful, clean park. Some of the best rock climbing the area.

Great Campground with some areas for that Improvements

Very peaceful campground. There is a train track in the vicinity which every now and then you can hear…..but not bad. The lake is within walking distance from the campgrounds. Our dogs love this place especially when taken for long walks along the pavement. There is a market with great pizza nearby.

There is a nearby dog park as well.

The original check-in station burned down last year and the park has a temporary hut for check in. I hope they rebuild the check-in station and bring back the store. There are a lot of downed trees (either naturally fell or man made) which need to be cleaned up. Some sites can get flooded or become very muddy with heavy rains. The past few years have been problematic with ticks…so be vigilant.

Hidden treasure

This campsite is the destination for a relaxing weekend of camping with friends and family. There are hundreds of sites (RV and tent camping). The facilities were clean and well maintained. It’s an added bonus to have a frisbee golf course in the park!

Perfect retreat for the family or solo adventure

Relax on the waters edge in shear tranquility. Perfect beach for swimming, excellent trails for hiking, and awesome lake to boat. Multiple launch ramps provide ease and convenience. Rent a canoe or kayak and head out for some time alone or with your favorite person. The cabins are heated but pets are not allowed. Campground is huge as are the sites. Some are premium, there’s a few ADA and some lakeside making for a great view to enjoy your morning coffee.

Not really a camp ground

This is a parking lot at the fair grounds. I'm sure it's fine for people traveling for the fair but not what I would consider camping.

It's a trailer park

Not for camping. I'm sure you can score so meth here though. Right on a main road. Avoid

Nice place

Nice park. You can reserve spaces to backpack along the rei water trail and stay the night to test gear. Not huge, no crazy obstacles but great for last minute trips close to the city.

An Outdoor Lover’s Dream

Boating, fishing, disc golf, rappelling, rock climbing, picnics, WOW! Put on those hiking boots to enjoy 10 varying difficulty trails, bring your bike for one, and hit the multi-use for mountain biking. Hang out and enjoy the wildflowers, or simply marvel the outstanding trees. The views and scenery are breathtaking. Stay at the campground and enjoy hanging with your pet by the fire pit. Some sites offer only electric while the majority do not. Restrooms and a dump station are provided. Have a large party, there’s a group camp available.

Simply stunning and amazing

What an outdoor lovers dream! Boating to fishing to disc golf you will not get bored! Enjoy a few hours or the day hiking one of eight trails or all of them. If you have horses take them out on the two loops especially for them. Lodge, campground, cabins so many options. The campground was clean, quiet and serene. Only electric at the sites, but 2 of your favorite fur babies are welcome.

Beautiful and relaxing

Great place to take the family and unwind. Good dog park for the furry ones. Bring your boat for some water fun, fish, or simply float around. 3 easy trails to venture out on and take in the parks amazing scenery. With more than 280 campsites and several cabins there’s something for everyone.

March trip

Lots of down trees throughout the park. Right now they’re available for anyone to come take & use. Some trash around the RV site. Otherwise a pretty quiet spot.

Fishing trip

The areas are nice easy to get to lake. However even with a boat I have fished here numerous times with very little luck.

Good hunting areas for pheasants.

Great pheasant hunting.

What I liked most about this park is that there hunting areas.

Has wouldful hunting areas.

Great

Level concrete pads with plenty of room between spaces. Some in the open & some with trees. Very peaceful.

Great

A great park with level concrete pads & space between sites. Some are in the open & some have trees. There is a store & a marina. There is a large lake for boating & fishing. The cabins are very nice!

Decent camping

The prime sites (lake view or secluded) are booked out way in advance. It is possible to bike to the park amenities (pool, lodge, beach) but it’s a haul. Nice golf course!

"Secret" Fishing Spot

Between lot I believe 166 & 167 is a trail to go down to a small spot. Probably enough room for 2 small families or 1 large family to fish. It was perfect for my husband and 2 kids between 9pm to 1am to fish because no one else was there. They only caught a fish or two but they liked the experience and time together. It is a little of a trek down a small hill and we were careful but got my mother in law whose 70 to the water as long as we hung onto her arm. It is pitch black so bring headlamps or/and lanterns oh and mosquito spray! We liked it so much that we are going again and getting a site close to the fishing spot so it’s just a short walk to it!

Beautiful huge campsite but no shade

I loved our camp site we had it for one year loved it! Huge lot, private and shade. It was simply the perfect lot because sometimes we had two tents and or like to play corn hole and other games and need space. But we went back in June and July 2018 and we about died! It was so hot and miserable because they cut down two of the trees that gave us shade. Now it the perfect spot with nooo shade. We tried buying the canopies to give us artificial shade but it didn’t help. It was truly awful during the day. The kids went to the beach but my husband, mother in law (70) and I stayed at the site. Although it got so bad we either went to a store or sat in the truck with the A/C. Now when the sun started setting it was again perfect. We had a fire, played outdoor games and it is private enough you don’t have to worry about your neighbor listening to your conversation. The bathroom is right behind the site but far enough that there is no smell or foot traffic from people. We had 2 active dogs and it is perfect for them. Although I will not go back in the dead of the heat again. It would be a perfect spot for cooler months. We stayed in lot 140. Oh btw there is a “secret” fish spot by site 166 with a trail to walk down to the water. It’s about a 8 min walk from our site 140.

Peaceful ( Except for the train) and clean. Pretty.

Convenient to many activities and stores yet in the forest and along Alum Creek. Clean, flush toilets , showers heated. Recreation area and nature center on site. Swimming near by ,nature trails.dog park with doggie beach nearby and more.

Nice place

Very nice campground with a pool,hiking trails,big camp store with lots of accessories.Lots of camp hosts who are very knowledgeable about the area.Good campsites with lots of room.

The dog’s favorite campground!

This was the only park we’ve gone to this uear with both a large dog park AND a fenced in dog beach! Folks were friendly at the dog park with bunches of chairs set around like a conversation pit. Lots of water and dog tennis balls were available.

The dog beach was fenced so your dog can be off leash. There is even a fenced in area out in the water to keep the pooches from swimming across the Lake chasing geese.

The campground itself was quite nice and spacious. Some of the most private camping sites I’ve seen in Ohio. Shower facilities we a bit above average mad seemed to be looked after at least once a day (we were there in the off season).

IMHO, one of the nicest campgrounds in the state.

simple & sweet

This is a sweet campground near Cedarville/Xenia. It’s got quite a bit of space for campgrounds and has a few mild hiking trails and a meadow nearby. It’s a nice place for a last minute get together with friends or large group camp weekends. Fire pits available and near other hiking sites like the Clifton Gorge.

BrandyWine Falls

A beautiful waterfall that drops into a pretty deep collection area. Be careful after rains as this area has some rapid moving water and can overflow. Lovely area for a day camping and relaxing.

Large sites

First Campground site I went to had a large mud puddle full of hornets. I asked to move site and was accommodated. It was right after a heavy rain storm and so maybe it was just a fluke