Toledo, OHIO

Most Recent Toledo Camping Reviews
Friendly

This was a good overnight stop on a cold windy night through Ohio. Front desk people were extremely friendly and helpful. Bathrooms were very clean and hot shower. We would stop again as a pass-through Campground. Level sites.

Awesome!

This place is by far one of the greatest campgrounds we’ve been to that is family oriented! We stay memorial day weekend and the last weekend of the season which is the harvest festival. My grandchildren always have a blast as well as grandma and Papa! Lots of pull through sites lots of tree shaded lots gives you that rustic camping feel with all the amenities.

Halloween Fun

I've been going to this campground for years, but mainly for the Halloween camping. It's a fun time of the year to go and the kids always have a blast. Most sites decorate and some site go all out with haunted houses. The campground puts on a lot of activities for the kids. Now for a little feedback: the shower and bathroom facilities need some updating. They look the same from when I was younger. With all of the money spent on sites (I tent camp), they should be a afford upgrades. The outdoor staff are always pleasant but they need cleaner outfits; the box sells the cereal. Lastly, the cost of this place is so expensive for tent campers. I get if you're actually using resources with a camper but tent sites don't use a lot. "free" pancakes are served every morning on the weekends (not sure about weekdays). Overall a nice place with a lot to do, but I only go for Halloween due to high cost. Don't let it deter you for Halloween!

Great local camping area

Wiregrass lake was a very nice camping atmosphere. There are only 3 camping spots around the lake so you’re not packed in like sardines. The atmosphere is very calm, quiet, and relaxing. The lake offers great fishing opportunities and doubles as a nice spot to sit by the water, enjoy the local wildlife and relax. Each site has a raised gravel pad for your tent, a picnic table, fire ring, and a trash and free wood box that is fully stocked. If your looking for a camping experience without being surrounded by a whole bunch of people this is it

Great campground right off Lake Erie

We've stayed at Maumee Bay state campground a few times now and continue to go back because of how easy the stay is. Last minute plans are easy here! The sites are well maintained and a camp store is available for anything you might have forgot. Bundles of wood and bikes to rent as well. Shrubs and trees provide enough privacy from neighbors next door and there is enough room on each site for a few tents. Well maintained bathrooms and showers are available. They even have coffee and donuts every Saturday and Sunday for a small fee. Biking and hiking trails that wrap around the camp and over to the beach and lakefront. I can securely camp here without fearing getting poison ivy!

Kelley’s Island State Park Campground

First notes… you have to take a ferry to the camp ground. Kelley’s Island Ferry in Marblehead. It is a few miles to camp ground so if you are renting and don’t bring a vehicle you will want to rent a golf cart. You can bring a car to the island.

The camp ground is away from the downtown(think small) a few restaurants and a general store and market.

Now for the campground. It is great right on Lake Erie. Most space have at least one tree. The tent only area has lots of shade. The bathrooms are relatively clean. The folks who oversee are actively there working on things. Cleaning marking reserved spots. You can reserve a spot ahead and I would absolutely do that during season. The island has space to launch kayaks a boat dock. Plenty of hiking bring your bike to see the whole thing via peddle power. There is a brewery and winery.

Very nice campground

This campground is now become one of my favorites. There is not a bad site. Site are large and private. The made them with large hedges and trees for privacy. Bathrooms and showers were very clean. There are plenty of hired help and volunteers to keep this campground clean. The waste station provides hoses to dump to help speed up the final stop before you leave. Highly recommend this park.

Decent campground on the Maumee River

Only 30 minutes down the river from Independence Dam State Park, this park was markedly different. Because there was a two-night minimum reservation on weekends and we were just passing through, we decided to try and roll the dice and see if we could slide into a spot for just a night without a reservation. Alas, the only spots still available were walk-in tent sites which would not work for us. This park was laid out more like an RV park with the sites very close together and no privacy between them (Site 16 looked to be the best one for privacy). Except for the walk-in tent sites, electric and/or electric/water hookups were available. As we pulled in, the host immediately greeted us and was very friendly (she genuinely wanted to find us a spot). There is a marina/store close-by and the quaint town of Grand Rapids (which you could walk to if you wanted) had several shops and restaurants. We would have stayed here for the night if a site had been available, so make sure you make reservations if you are coming on a weekend (and can stay for two nights).

Not feeling the love

When researching our trip, I came upon this state park right on the Maumee River and was very surprised to find it had not been previously reviewed. The website indicated the sites were tent only but when I called, I was told we could park and sleep in our campervan. When I tried to make reservations, there was a two-night minimum on the weekends and we were just passing through so I decided to see if we might be able to snag one night if there were sites available.

There is a two-mile road to the campsites once you enter the park and along the way, we passed many pull-out day-use picnic areas on nicely manicured grounds. Once we reached the campsites, there seemed to be less attention paid to the area. Turns out that there were only a very few sites that had paved pads that would accommodate our van; the rest were clearly for tents only (but there was no way to tell this from the website). Even though I had seen that about half of the sites were reserved, there was no one there at 4:30 on a Friday. There did not seem to be any staff or rangers on-site and there is self-registration. The rates seemed kind of steep ($19 on weekdays; $20 weekends and $22 on holiday weekends) for sites with no hookups and only porta-potties. We saw some people fishing near the dam and perhaps the campground would be suitable for these folks and/or people boating/kayaking in who portage down the river (there is a marina) but it just did not feel like a place we wanted to camp.

Beautiful setting to camp!

We stayed at one of the primitive tent sites at South Bass Island State Park and had the most enjoyable time. The site was on a cliff overlooking Lake Erie. The campground was very well kept and clean. The park staff was friendly and helpful, and the park office was stocked with necessities at a decent price. If I had any complaint at all, it would be that the sites are really close together, which could be a problem at busy times. Fortunately we only had one neighbor directly beside us, and they were very nice folks. Would highly recommend this campground!

Nice place

Take the kids there and they love it. Nice little fishing pier and access to Round lake and Wamplers lake. Decent beach and park.

Nice place but very tight

Campsites were pretty clean. Kids loved the pond beach and the water slide. The only down side was they pack in the campers super tight. I would guess 22 feet wide and I only had 5 feet behind my 30 foot camper until you reach the next camper.

Great Place

Amazing staff and campground

Nice getaway

Cool trails nearby, really like this site. Well kept and a very relaxed environment to get away. Just also happens to be the closest camping spot!

Gorgeous wildlife area turtles frogs swan deer blue heron

Amazing hiking spot, rarely see anyone out past the boardwalks despite this being one of the only nature areas for miles. It is right next to the landfill, but really is a beautiful place, so many birds here. Blue herons, swan, swallows, geese. Watch out for geese, they like to block the only pathway to the parking lot, and after hiking 8 miles around the marshes your only option is to walk past them hoping they don't attack lol. There's really no way of avoiding them and you must get very close to get by, had a few gimme the stink eye and a warning hiss, other than that all is well!

Beautiful campground

Great RV resort with clean bathrooms and shower rooms. Wood delivery is great! Friendly staff!

This was a very clean park and very large campground. The only negative is your in section c it’s very tight. We had a very wet spring which left some very deep ruts at are camp site and its August and the ruts are still there. And at the dump station the hose that is use to flush black water tank were cut off so flush black water tank was not available. But as big of a campground it is the people were respectful and very friendly. I will go back but camp in sections a or b.

Beautiful, clean, a great stop over!

Stopped here for a brief overnight in my tent on a cross country trip. The office was open after 8pm, which was great! The landscape is beautiful, lots of smooth roads around the park for sunset bike rides, bass ponds, etc. One drawback is the sites are small and close together. Me and my neighbors could easily hear each other’s conversations. Bathrooms are clean and centralized. Felt great to have a hot shower!

Vary nice

Vary nice quiet campground. Love the privet showers and has a great camp store and conssion stand.

Peaceful Greenery

I had a friend's wedding at The Stables (which I didn't realize was 3 min away) and decided to camp here rather than get a hotel. I set up right at 3 at Site 7 - there's no check-in process or attendant. I hadn't printed my permit, so I wondered if I would get a visit from a ranger but all was quiet. The site was spacious, sandy, and well suited for both tent and hammock. The fire ring was in good condition and fire wood was already stacked. The property was well maintained and the bathrooms clean and cool - the women's did have some standing water from a leaky toilet it looked like. You can hear distant cars and some not so distant planes. Also, while all the sites are wooded the woods are not very thick so you can see and hear your neighbors pretty well. Site number three looks at the most secluded to me while site number four was pretty much in the open beside the bathrooms. Group sites were full sun it appeared. The stream behind my site was dry. Nice map and brochures at the parking area. Sturdy picnic tables.

Awesome Pond

We really enjoy this campground and it is 20 min from home so that is always a plus. Nice and clean pond and beach very clean. I used my camper shower and restroom so never used theirs. No Full hookups is the only negative but wouldn’t keep up away. Sites are a little close together but have meet some nice people

Great campgound on the shores of lake Erie. Close to cedar point.

Its very busy! Some sites are super small, and you may not be able to fit a regular sized tent on it.  Find a site along the edges.  A ton of RV's.  Can get a little loud with partiers, so if you want peace and quiet you may need to look elsewhere.

Quiet lakeside primitive

3 camp sites available near fishable wiregrass lake in wiregrass metropark. Open year round. Firewood provide. Reservation required.

Friendly staff, clean, quiet

This was a much smaller campground than we’re used to but have no complaints! Staff was very friendly. Facilities were bright, clean. Hot showers. Playground, basketball court, game room w/ping pong, foosball table, pool table, & skee ball games (skee ball is a quarter a game). Campground was pretty full but was so quiet! We enjoyed our stay & would go again!

Over priced

Very poorly maintained, difficult to back into spaces as road is narrow and very large poles in ground that keep you from doing a decent back in. Also very muddy, dirty bathrooms and showers.

FANTASTIC

The best, cleanest, well maintained, under control campground we’ve ever been to.

Has what you need

Campground is right by the power plant, but also have beautiful views of the lake. There is not much shade and if lot is full you are very close to other campers.

Decent small family size campground

New owners are trying to improve campground, lots of locals visit esp. when it's hot out to swim in the man-made pond which leaves a nasty smell on your swimming suit. There is a fishing pond, little store, pavilion, basketball hoops, jumping pad for kids, playground and more for kids to do.

Nice locally owned facility

Always pleasant when we use this facility. Staff is helpful. We go once a year before hitting the road. Great for groups and conferences.

Nice!

Clean and full service! Really good