Lorain, OHIO

Most Recent Lorain Camping Reviews
Beautiful place (off season)

Beautiful place, well kept, lots of sites overlooking the lake and a lot of shade. The island is pretty well known as a party island so we generally only camp here off-season now. There is a lot to see and explore like the caves, the monument in the world famous bars. The entire island is pretty rowdy during the summer so plan accordingly. We usually do kelleys island in the summer and Put-in-Bay in the offseason if we're headed this way. Wifey says the bathrooms were below average (most important for her).

Favorite Park!!!

Been going here my entire life. Amazing small town feel with cute shops, family activities, world's largest glacier groves, shallow beach and fun history. The park is always clean and we'll kept. A lot of shaded sites and waterfront sites that are right on the water. No city lights and being in the middle of the lake means lots of stars, the sounds of water and being so dark you can barely see. Awesome place to explore. Wifey says the bathrooms were above average (most important for her). HIGHLY recommend going at least once.

Average...

Beautiful, large state park. Unfortunately the entire beach is literally gone due to lake Erie being roughly 3 feet high (usually a massive beach). The campsites are average size but the park is very clean and family friendly. Being a higher traffic park, a lot of sites had mud with straw from the grass not being able to grow where your camper door is. When booking make sure you check pictures or Google maps. A lot of sites have zero shade and are basically in a large field. We prefer shade and the more private sites. Wifey says the bathrooms were above average (most important for her).

Lovely and quiet

When the campgrounds in the National Park were filled and I needed a place to land for the night, I ended up at Heritage Farms in a sunny shelter with a beautiful landscape of growing Christmas trees and gorgeous sunset. The shelter was clean, had a picnic table, and trash can. Porta johns were available, though not very close. It was a bit more expensive than many campgrounds at $35 per night but I was so happy and comfortable there that I thought it was worth it.

Nice spot overall

The site sits up on a ridge overlooking the scenic railroad. Not extremely private. You can see a parking lot and hikers walking by at the bottom. Being higher up on the ridge helped make it feel a bit more secluded. There’s a big container fire chamber, bathrooms and water down at the bottom. Overall we really enjoyed, would be back.

Good

Many level pull through sites. We were just passing through so the ability to not have to unhook was important to us. Showers and bathrooms are very clean and up-to-date. At $40, it was about $5 more than we are used to paying as we travel full time. Particularly since amenities like the pool are unusable due to weather. Very friendly and efficient check in.

Primitive Camping

I arrived here hoping a primitive site was still available and indeed two were! They allowed me to walk in and decide the site that I'd like. I was only there for the night, but enjoyed the atmosphere and the friendliness of the employees!

Primitive Camping

Super cute Christmas tree farm!

I loved staying at this farm! It is in the cuyahoga valley national park, so it is in a very central area if you want to explore! The views from the camp spots are incredible. We stayed in a lean to and it was so much fun! The bathroom was a Port o potty but it was very well maintained and clean.

Kelley’s Island State Park Campground

First notes… you have to take a ferry to the camp ground. Kelley’s Island Ferry in Marblehead. It is a few miles to camp ground so if you are renting and don’t bring a vehicle you will want to rent a golf cart. You can bring a car to the island.

The camp ground is away from the downtown(think small) a few restaurants and a general store and market.

Now for the campground. It is great right on Lake Erie. Most space have at least one tree. The tent only area has lots of shade. The bathrooms are relatively clean. The folks who oversee are actively there working on things. Cleaning marking reserved spots. You can reserve a spot ahead and I would absolutely do that during season. The island has space to launch kayaks a boat dock. Plenty of hiking bring your bike to see the whole thing via peddle power. There is a brewery and winery.

Nice!

Super nice campground. Very quiet and enjoyable. Will definitely camp here again

Love it here

I love this place! Just had my second visit and can’t wait to go back. Water view on both sides and sites are nice sized and not right on top of each other.

Great activities

Great weekend at the Shelby/Mansfield KOA. Great activities all day Saturday. Nice large pull through sites. And nice and clean shower house.

Beautiful setting to camp!

We stayed at one of the primitive tent sites at South Bass Island State Park and had the most enjoyable time. The site was on a cliff overlooking Lake Erie. The campground was very well kept and clean. The park staff was friendly and helpful, and the park office was stocked with necessities at a decent price. If I had any complaint at all, it would be that the sites are really close together, which could be a problem at busy times. Fortunately we only had one neighbor directly beside us, and they were very nice folks. Would highly recommend this campground!

Huge wilderness escape

Nice stretch of forest in between Cleveland and Akron, stopped here on the way to a dead and co. show, gorgeous landscapes! Great views, trails for different skill levels casual walks or longer hikes there's something here for you. Would have liked to camp here as well but was packed from the concert and ended up staying in Mohican

This was a very clean park and very large campground. The only negative is your in section c it’s very tight. We had a very wet spring which left some very deep ruts at are camp site and its August and the ruts are still there. And at the dump station the hose that is use to flush black water tank were cut off so flush black water tank was not available. But as big of a campground it is the people were respectful and very friendly. I will go back but camp in sections a or b.

Beautiful views right on the lake

Beautiful lake with lakeside sites. Wooden and peaceful. Bathrooms could be better. They were working on part of the grounds and the improvements are very promising..

Awesome Pond

We really enjoy this campground and it is 20 min from home so that is always a plus. Nice and clean pond and beach very clean. I used my camper shower and restroom so never used theirs. No Full hookups is the only negative but wouldn’t keep up away. Sites are a little close together but have meet some nice people

Great campgound on the shores of lake Erie. Close to cedar point.

Its very busy! Some sites are super small, and you may not be able to fit a regular sized tent on it.  Find a site along the edges.  A ton of RV's.  Can get a little loud with partiers, so if you want peace and quiet you may need to look elsewhere.

Friendly staff, clean, quiet

This was a much smaller campground than we’re used to but have no complaints! Staff was very friendly. Facilities were bright, clean. Hot showers. Playground, basketball court, game room w/ping pong, foosball table, pool table, & skee ball games (skee ball is a quarter a game). Campground was pretty full but was so quiet! We enjoyed our stay & would go again!

Hidden Treasure on I-80

Coyahoga Valley NO was our first stop on the planned trip(s) to each NP. What a jewel. Tucked in between Akron and Cleveland, this quiet NP has numerous hiking trails, historic buildings and the remains of the Ohio and Erie Canal. Well worth the side trip or destination.

A little gem in the middle of it all

We enjoyed our day here. We hiked over 20 miles so not the whole trail. The staff were amazing! Say some big snapper turtles, falcons, loads of birds. We stopped to read the information signs along the way about the locks. We also stopped at some of the farms. On our way back we stopped for a bite in peninsula. It had a huge selection of beer which was nice. Great day in the bike trail. I’d recommend doing it during the week as it is packed on the weekend.

Nice!

Clean and full service! Really good

Serene and peaceful

My first time at this campground that used to be a state park and now the metro park has taken it over. It’s small with only 29 sites and 6 of those have electric. We stayed in site 22 with electric. We were surrounded by pine trees along the banks of a 800-acre reservoir. Lots of birdwatching and relaxing. There are no showers or water. They had vault/pit toilets that were very clean. If you have kids there is a playground as well. If we are in that area I’d definitely go back.

Very nice campgrounds!

There is so much structure and order to this campground! The grounds are laid out so nicely! One big circle with cross roads all along the way. You can camp however you'd like too! They have RV sites, tent sites and cabins. All mixed in together so you can travel with all your favorite campers. They do breakfast every morning in the front pavilion for $4.50 (all you can eat pancakes, 1 sausage and coffee) I haven't tried it yet, but its certainly popular. Laundry is open 24 hours a day and in an open area. Not the biggest fan of that due to needing to do laundry in the rain. Bathrooms are clean and standard. Row of toilet stalls and showers in a separate room. They have a stellar playground area, I don't have kids but even I was drawn to wanting to play on it. Very pet friendly around here. Close to downtown, near Cedar Point and all the other attractions over here. They have 2 pools, one being heated. We haven't had a bad rain storm while we're here but you can tell by the ground of our spot its going to be bad and super muddy. All in all this campground is pretty awesome.

Like the Caribbean in Ohio

Beautiful scenery. Located right on the water, with beautiful views of Lake Erie. Well maintained campground, although the bathrooms had limited number of toilets. I usually had to wait to get a stall. You can rent a golf cart, but I took my bicycle and everything was a short ride away. It’s a very quiet island; especially during the week, which is when I went. If you want more shopping and nightlife, consider Put-in-Bay. But Kelley’s Island is a perfect quiet getaway.

Family campground!

This campground was clean and the staff was friendly.

We only stayed one night but had a pretty sight by the pond.

The park seemed to be mostly seasonal campers.

Quiet and cozy

Lots of bugs. Bring the spray. The people are very friendly. Has a lot of different options for camping

Great family campground

This campground has a little bit of everything. Rv parking, tent sites and several cabins to rent. Rates are decent. Has lots of stuff for kids to do. Pools are small and can be a little crowded during the summer on weekends. They have a great splash pad and wading pool for kids. There is a new Tiki Hut to get adult drinks. A gem mine. Horseshoes, basketball court and lots of kids activities. Nice camp store that carries a little of everything. This is our second trip there.

Weekend Escape

Lots to do on an island for 2 nights. Beach with kayaks at campground. Trails, cute downtown with KeyWest island vibe.