the dyrt
Cuyahoga Valley National Park, OHIO
Most Recent Cuyahoga Valley National Park Camping Reviews
Staff nice, site needed attention and weather was horrible.

We stayed here a week after we sold our home, constant rain ( thought I was back in Washington State !). The site near the front wasn’t kept up, just messy, weeds and junk on one side. The staff hooked up our TT to a tractor to put it in the site because the grounds were very soft. The man on 1 side said we were on his property, we didn’t park the TT the staff did, he then parked so close to our truck door we couldn’t get to it, in or out. Later I talked to him, we were traveling with 3 senior medical rescues dogs, he moved his truck.

decent views and trails

Definitely had some cool views and hiking spots, but was overall underwhelming. Had a few waterfalls here and there, and is next to a cool town to explore. Good to see over one day but probably don’t need much more time than that.

Blue Hens Falls

This place is a great place for a day hiking/ camping trip. It is well traveled and visited and parking is kind of a pain as the parking lot is small. Dogs are welcome and there is a fantastic waterfall not far from the parking lot. Park police frequent this area often and hammocking is not allowed to close to the water as I found out. Overall a great place to spend the day and read or have a picnic.

Nelson Kennedy Ledges

This place is a great place to take your kids and pets. There is a decent amount parking that is available, a large field to participate in numerous activities; flying kites, football, fetch, picnics. There are numerous trails for different skill levels and tons of caves to explore. Also the view at the end is fantastic and is a great place to relax and read for the day.

Cuyahoga Falls

This area is filled magnificent trails that you wouldn't believe are so close to a highly populated city. This is actually under the bridge that you take to enter the City of Akron. Lovely place to fish, hike, camp. paddle, or just relax for the day. The water is always flowing and there is a pretty neat dam right as you enter. If you get the chance take the time to visit.

Ranger Review: A Peaceful Morning by the Lake with Nature's Coffee Kettle

If you're looking for a quiet place to hang your pole for a weekend, this near-city escape is for you! Less than an hour from downtown Cleveland, and minutes from historic downtowns Wellington and Oberlin, Ohio, is a quiet, wooded retreat with all the amenities.

Fishing, canoeing, and kayaking (rentals and bait available too!) are offered on Findley Lake, as well as a small, uncrowded public beach. Have your own small, non-motorized craft? There is a designated kayak launch at the boat launch area. For day campers, there are numerous sites around this large state park for picnicking and events, bonfire pits and fishing inlets….and bring your frisbees because there is also an extensive frisbee golf course.

The campground consists of several "arms", roads that branch out from the main road, with a good deal of wooded area between for rear site privacy between them. Beware, the sites are close to these roads and quite shallow, but because each road dead ends in a cul de sac, traffic is very light, even when the campground is full, as when we visited. Tall, dense trees surround, deadening sound, which makes the campsites very quiet, and the curve of each "arm" also suggests a more intimate space than the actual site sq footage does. There is a tent only side, with no hookups or electric, where sites are slightly larger and deeper, tucked between treed areas, and the other half of the campground is with hookups, and nearer to the lake, although it is not visible, but accessible by short path. Each site has a fire ring and picnic table, pretty standard. There are openings into the wood behind the "arms" for kids to explore, but beware of poison oak, which is prevalent and can be found along the edge of where the campsites all meet the woods…it didn't creep into the woods much, but watch out anyway if you have an allergy. Our group was able to avoid it.

There is a clearing at the entrance to the campground with a large playground, camp store with pizza and ice, occasional vegetable dealers, farmers market style, set up with carts around outside there as well. And if you forgot anything, have no fear, town is only minutes away. Cabin rental is also available in this area. Pets are welcome leashed.

Overall, it's a spot worth spending some time at. Convenient family fun for all.

As a Dyrt Ranger, I have the opportunity to try out new and fun camp gear and in this case COFFEE! Which could not have been more well received for these quiet mornings by the lakeside. Admittedly, at first I had my reservations. I enjoy a good coffee and am a great lover of my french press. But also admittedly, I hate cleaning it out campside. Nature's Coffee Kettle allows me to forgo the part I hate and keep the pour over we all love. With a wide selection from Columbian, to darker or flavored roasts, and even hot cocoa and teas for those toasty nights, Nature's Coffee Kettle impressed me. It comes in it's own reusable kettle bag, although I felt that, when changing out the coffee packs (refill packs are sold) after the initial use, the coffee was not as potent as the first use…probably because once the water is poured through, the bag doesn't stick together as well, holding the coffee to steep as long. (Refer to video review) Regardless, I enjoyed the ease of use, quality of the coffee and pourability. I was able to make a kettle in the morning, screw the spout lid back on and take it with me to the lake later for refills. Later when we went across country for a trip, I was able to board the plane with it in my carry on, flat, hardly taking up any room, and so convenient for those hiking or packing trips. It was fantastic, and easy as pie…which goes great with coffee, coincidentally…

Ottawa point Backpacking site

The site was beautiful and serene! There are a total of three Backcountry sites along the same path, and we stayed at the third. It was easy to get there, and latrines and water fountain were available at Ottawa Picnic area maybe .3 miles from the site. We brought a tent and hammock and set both up to take in the gorgeous view as we were at the top of a large hill. Note: you need to get a permit (free) for these sites and park at either the Brecksville Nature Center or the Plateau Picnic area. We chose the nature center and it was about a 3.5 mile hike to campsite #3.

Nice

Beautiful spent a night here traveling thru

Great campground!

I have never been here before but were looking for a last minute place on Labor Day weekend and they happened to have a spot available. I am so glad they did! This is such a nice campground with so much to do. The sites are spacious, well maintained and clean. The facilities were all modern and clean as well as the beach area. This particular weekend they had guided hikes, movie night for the kids and an ice cream social. There was also a presentation for the kids showing all the animals and birds of the park. We are going back again in a few weeks with the dog.

nice

sort of flat but pretty nice. I went a few years back to a rodeo that was a blast

good

easy to get to, close to amenities, fishing, swimming, trails, camping

A little Secret in Ohio

Beautiful area for a get away in Ohio. The beach is never too packed. You can take kayaks out and venture off around the shores.

gorgeous!

One of the most gorgeous places I’ve been!

Nice location and amenities

Sites are spread apart nicely. Each one has a picnic table and fire ring. Grassy spots that are fairly level and mowed. Came with firewood and a little kindling too. Trash can with lid provided (didn't find a suitable tree to hang our food, so we stashed it in the can overnight).

The well-maintained porta-potties near the maim building make this a great option for those who aren't into fully roughing it. There's also wash-water available (no drinking water though). Thought the price was high at first, but would definitely take my family here given the amenities.

From the Towpath Trail, there's a connection at Canal St, which is a little easier than using the actual trail-head a little north of there.

Membership required

Part of Coast to coast resorts and they know how to get you in… But we like that it is so close to Lake Erie with many wine tours and different sites to see (covered bridges and parks). Many nice features - 10 acre lake, indoor pool, swimming pond, mini golf, fields for various sports, variety of sites and they really want you to find the right spot for you. Some things could use some TLC or updates like the fitness center. A lot of planned events throughout the season. Staff is generally helpful but overall, there is kind of a "hands off" mentality which so far hasn't been an issue and is better than some places when you feel like they're always watching every move you make. Very geared towards families. Other members are friendly and helpful as well.

State park with site for everything from tents to 5th wheel campers

A variety of sites from primitive to full hook up. Flush toilets and clean showers. The lake is small and limited to electric motors only, but nice for kayaks and SUP. And for those of you looking for a little more comfort check out the lodge for a little less rugged stay.

Family campground

Many crafts and things to do for the kids. A bit too crowded for my individual taste and no shade in area for non seasonal campers.

Unexpected adventures in metro area

We drove down to visit Cuyahoga from Michigan, and to be honest weren't expecting much. While the park does lack in some amenities for campers, it really is an unexpected bit of rocky wilderness. True, it's rare to feel very removed here, as most parts of the park are near to roadways and traffic sounds float through the trees, but the park itself is lovely. We especially enjoyed the ledges loop as it winds its way above and through some very unique rock formations.

The ledges loop is not difficult, with very little elevation change, just look out for tree roots! We also explored the falls and some other trails.

Overall i was very impressed with the park and will definitely be back!

One of the best!!!

Very nice sites and very well maintained! The only real downside to the park is that the sites can be a bit tricky to get into with your camper and the pads can have a decent grade. The bath houses are big and clean with big sinks outside to do dishes. The lake is nice for boating and swimming.

Beautiul water side site

Great site! Shades lots of space semi private area. Right off the water with area to tie boat for easy water access.

Family feeling and well kept up.

The sites are RV and tent sites. They offer coupons for return campers. The suppounding area is nice and the owners are welcoming. Very clean.

Newer isn't always better

There are 2 sites in the park both of which are walk in only and not close together. They are relatively small, 2-4 person tent only. Run by the Geauga Park District and only $5 for county residents, its cheap and looks it. Reservations must be made 3 days in advance, so no spur of the moment get aways. Basically it was just a space for a tent and a fire ring. No bathroom (about a half mile of trail away), no water, no picnic table, no alcohol. Basically I got the urge to camp in the early spring and wanted somewhere near home but I wouldn't stay there again, and wouldn't recommend anyone else do so either. However, the West Woods as a park is really nice with a nature center, hiking and bridle trails, just the campsite that was lacking.

Beautiful place to explore!

Campsite was very clean and the trails were fun to hike. My kids enjoyed it! Beautiful scenery!

Big, beautiful lake!

Great park! Sites are spacious and level. Very clean park. There are several full hook-up sites. Electric sites near the lake. We stayed at site #96. New Bathrooms are under construction. Campground is flat and great for bike riding. Nice playground for kids. Dog park nearby. Camp is near beach & marina. Also many shops and restaurants within a 10 minute drive. We will definitely be coming back to Mosquito Lake!

why I give it three stars

I’ll give you a run down on the bad first and then share the good. First off, these sites are shown as “backcountry” sites. In reality, you are less than 1/6 of a mile from the parking lot, and the campsites are right on top of each other in a field. You can hear the highway from your site. They get very very hot and humid , there is no shade and you do not get your own fire ring either, luckily we brought our camp stove for food! It was so hot though during the day that we left a day early. The bugs are absolutely terrible. Not really mosquitos, but wasps, and all kinds of flies and beetles. They do provide a porta-potty since there really isn’t any privacy for bathroom needs outside, and it was so gross/unserviced I would walk the 1.2 miles to the visitor center in the morning instead . All of this being said , there are a lot of beautiful things to see here. If I lived closer I would be coming here often to hike, but not to camp. The ledges were incredible, the waterfalls were stunning, and there are just some great trails to enjoy and history to feel and learn about.

Use care when packing to camp here, for heat/humidity, bugs, sun, and food.

A lot of changes

We used to camp here all the time. They had some issues that they fixed. They have changed the fire rings, which makes it harder to cook on. I understand why they changed them. Other than the changes they have mase, we still like to camp here.

camping

I love this place. There is always something to do. Most people are friendly and respectful of other campers.

Showboat Chesaning MI

Small, quiet community campground

Wonderful owners.

Nice, clean pool area. Good sized playground. Great for kids.

Tight Squeeze, Stinky Breeze

The sights are packed in, we couldn’t open our awning all the way. There was also a smell of septic with the breeze. The pool was nice but didn’t open till 11.