Cuyahoga Valley National Park, OHIO

Camping Ohio Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Most Recent Cuyahoga Valley National Park Camping Reviews
Nice spot overall

The site sits up on a ridge overlooking the scenic railroad. Not extremely private. You can see a parking lot and hikers walking by at the bottom. Being higher up on the ridge helped make it feel a bit more secluded. There’s a big container fire chamber, bathrooms and water down at the bottom. Overall we really enjoyed, would be back.

Perfect Weekend Getaway

Camped a long weekend for the fall festival. Campground was nice, quiet and people were friendly. Spots are roomy, with nice yard/fire space. Not all spots are full hook up, but some are. Shower houses are nice and clean. Had a lot of activities for the kids. Over all it was nice place, I would camp here again.

Primitive Camping

I arrived here hoping a primitive site was still available and indeed two were! They allowed me to walk in and decide the site that I'd like. I was only there for the night, but enjoyed the atmosphere and the friendliness of the employees!

Primitive Camping

Ok, But nothing exciting

I have been coming here for a few years since I have family in the area, but this year there's a brand new pool (not open yet), and the price for just electric and water with no sewer is $145 more than last year for a two week stay!! Last year was $275 for two weeks and this year is $420!! Priced me out of here….. Oh, no wifi right now either.

Very clean bathrooms! Beautiful sites with lake views.

I love this campground. Nice people and very clean! Lots of nice sites.

Very Clean!

Great campground, and atmosphere. Large cement RV sites. Large playground. Beautiful Lake.

Lovely primative camp site in Ohio

We went for a week of camping here for a NuCamp rally.

Super cute Christmas tree farm!

I loved staying at this farm! It is in the cuyahoga valley national park, so it is in a very central area if you want to explore! The views from the camp spots are incredible. We stayed in a lean to and it was so much fun! The bathroom was a Port o potty but it was very well maintained and clean.

Nice Spot

Plenty of space, and quarry swimming area is well maintained. Fun place to explore and relax!

Good stay

When we discovered that Shenango Corps of Engineers park had closed early in September, we needed to find a home right away. This met our needs very well. Despite the fact that it’s not our normal kind of camping, in the woods, it was very comfortable. It does not feel crowded, sites were grassy and all utilities worked well. Owners are very nice people and are working to continually improve this property they just acquired a couple years ago. The park is largely seasonal but has several spots for drop-in RVS and tents. Big rig accessible. We reserved for 2 nights, stayed 3 and would return. Bathrooms were clean if a bit unique with a rope and pulley system of water delivery to the shower head. I appreciate that the owners have a desire to keep prices steady but wonder if consideration might be given to some kind of a discount such as a rate for more than two days, passport America, AARP, a weekday discount, a weekly rate ….. $35 is about five dollars more per night more than we typically pay.

Awesome site

Awesome site

Awesome state park with many amenities

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork at West Branch State Park

Campground Review:

This state park was very welcome after our first two unlucky Ohio state park experiences. We had no trouble pulling in at 3 pm on a Sunday after Labor Day with no reservations and snagging a very nice spot (Site 50 backs up to Kirwan Reservoir). There are two loops that are on Jay Lake where there is a beach; it was understandable that there weren’t any water view spots that had not been reserved here. A very quiet park that is well-maintained with lots of amenities. Even the rumbling of the nearby trains was on the quiet side! Nice playground with toy stocked sandpit, volleyball net, cheap laundry ($3 per load, wash and dry), dishwashing sinks, showers, and clean bathrooms. There was even a step stool for kids to be able to reach the sinks. A staffed store(9am-7pm on Sunday, 11am-7pm Monday– Thursday and 9 am– 8:30 pm on Saturday) with basic supplies and, of course, t-shirts and sweatshirts. Some of the sites have a slight grade so be cautious when selecting. Many trees that provide separation between sites. Several short hiking trails. A side note: I only saw one non-Ohio license plate besides ours in the entire park, almost like it is an Ohio secret (not anymore!)

-----------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the opportunity to test products. At this campground, I tested the large  Morsel Spork from Outdoor Element. I have to admit that when I unpacked my box from Outdoor Elements, I was surprised at how LONG our morsel sporks were(we have other sporks that are much shorter so I was expecting these to be a similar size) but then I saw a photo of someone using it with their freeze-dried meal and it was an aha moment! No need to dirty another dish because this mighty spork can reach to the bottom of the pouch with no problem! These sporks are also sturdier than others we have used. The rubber scraper edge is a nice touch – would be great for getting the last delicious bits of meals from the freeze-dried meal pouches and I’m thinking also in glass or plastic containers. A very nice addition to our camping tools.

Great weekend getaway

Spent a long weekend with the family. Nice cabins and trails.

Neat “Cliff Jumping” Location

Many of my friends from Ohio recommended checking out Nelson Ledges for apparent “cliff jumping” and a music festival. Overall the site is gorgeous with cliffs, a large lake, an island, beaches, pavilions, and decent travel roads. The cliffs aren’t that high and partially man made with cement pebbles. The rock-face was kind of painful to sit on due to its artificial nature. The location was cool, but felt very regulated and sterile. A lot of the rocks are man made with cement.There are also tons of signs up saying “no cliff jumping”, so it was kind of odd that it is known as a cliff jumping location. Definitely a pretty location with some decent amenities for campers!

Averagely Kool Family Campground

My friends and I were going to a festival in the Northeast Ohio area. The festival camping was full, so we stayed at this location for a night. The sites are very affordable if split between little people. This very family orientated campground has a gravel road system connecting a ton of camp spots, RV locations, mobile homes, a playground, a swimming lake, and a even a fishing lake. The ground itself is huge, so kids can have fun and run around with other kids in nearby sections of the campgrounds. Overall there are a ton of amenities and very friendly staff. We told the office lady we would be back late at night, and she gave us a special passcode to the gate. That was super kind of her. The land isn’t particularly pretty and the campsite for tent camping are rather close together, but it’s a good location overall for RV’s. I wouldn’t recommend this location if you’re trying to enjoy nature, because sites are pretty close together and certainly not secluded. There are positives for tent campers including water taps, outlets, trash receptacles, bathrooms, and hot showers.

Huge wilderness escape

Nice stretch of forest in between Cleveland and Akron, stopped here on the way to a dead and co. show, gorgeous landscapes! Great views, trails for different skill levels casual walks or longer hikes there's something here for you. Would have liked to camp here as well but was packed from the concert and ended up staying in Mohican

Clean, maintained, family friendly

Awesome campground with many amenities!

Beautiful setting

The camp is beautiful. Opportunities for disc golf, archery range, canoing/kayaking/row boats, swimming (no lifeguard) and golf. Showerheads were to low for anyone over 5'7", and only a few sites were full hookup.

Great Site

My wife, 2 dogs, and I came with no reservation. They gave us a temporary tag to drive around and see what site we wanted. We ended up going to site 190 which had a decent amount of space to tent camp. The amenities were great. Clean shower and toilets in a well lit building.  There is also a dog park with a pond 2 minutes up the road which was great to wear the dogs out at. The only complaint I have is the site was a little close to our neighbor for our liking but we would go back!

Very clean and nice campground. I only negative for me was the campsites are very close to each other.

Hidden Treasure on I-80

Coyahoga Valley NO was our first stop on the planned trip(s) to each NP. What a jewel. Tucked in between Akron and Cleveland, this quiet NP has numerous hiking trails, historic buildings and the remains of the Ohio and Erie Canal. Well worth the side trip or destination.

Great campground.

There r a lot of things to do lot of room to roam around and great campsites. Beach clean shower and restroom houses, big lake.

Great little family hike

We chose to hike here on a day where there might be rain…turned out to be the perfect decision as we killed 3 hrs just walking around mostly covered trails. Only one steep hill to climb and it wasn’t bad at all. The views and rock formations were pretty amazing! We will certainly be back for this half day adventure.

A little gem in the middle of it all

We enjoyed our day here. We hiked over 20 miles so not the whole trail. The staff were amazing! Say some big snapper turtles, falcons, loads of birds. We stopped to read the information signs along the way about the locks. We also stopped at some of the farms. On our way back we stopped for a bite in peninsula. It had a huge selection of beer which was nice. Great day in the bike trail. I’d recommend doing it during the week as it is packed on the weekend.

Great spots

Nice to see sailboats on the lake. All new camping spots with full hookup. Grass is coming in nicely. Kids love the playgrounds and being able to bike or scoot all around. Shower house's are superb. Great fishing. Beach needs some attention.

Overall very nice

Have stayed here 3 times & really enjoy it. We typically camp with additional family members and get several sites together so we have plenty of room. The bathhouse is always very clean as well. Friendly staff & always things for the kids to do.

Perfect with a large P!

Showed up and wasn’t sure to expect but wow! We had a water view site and it’s perfect! We were at site 58. It was long and skinny so our camper near the road and the fire was 20 yards away. It was a perfect site for us. Some trees provides privacy between sites but also some sites were perfect for groups. Facilities were ideal and very well kept! The lake is busy and very peaceful at the same time. Beach was full so just know you won’t have it to yourself. Great campground!

Beautiful views!

Pros: It was very easy and fast to check in. We stayed at site #14 and had such a nice view of the lake. There were many sites there that had lovely views. The shower houses were kept pretty clean. They had many shower houses and dumpsters around the campground. Our campsite was also clean upon arrival. There wasn't any trash left behind from previous campers.

Cons: We stayed for 2 nights. Our first night was loud. People were up yelling and listening to loud music until 11:30pm. Quiet time starts at 10:00pm and I dont believe that is strictly enforced. The second night was much better.

Wooded Waterside Sites

Make reservations! (6 months in advance).  Waterside sites fill up quickly! Check in is very easy as you pass the camp store on your way in. All campsites have a fire ring and picnic table.  West Branch has private, spacious, shady sites. We can launch our kayaks right from our campsite. The shower house and bathrooms are large and clean. There is even a book exchange shelf at the shower house in case of rainy days. The park office loans games and sports equipment to campers. Washers and dryers are also at the shower house. There is an outside sink to wash up dishes. Bring your boat or kayak. There are many inlets to explore or fish. There is a small beach at the campground but a larger one on the other side of the lake. There is a boat launch at the campground.  There are playgrounds for the children. An ice cream social is held on Saturday evenings that my children always love to attend. There is a newer dog park near the intersection of Rock Spring  and Esworthy roads. There are many scenic hiking trails at West Branch. Bridal trails are located on Esworthy Rd. West Branch is our favorite campground and we make sure to visit every year.