the dyrt
Deer Creek Lake, OHIO
Most Recent Deer Creek Lake Camping Reviews
Breathtakingly Beautiful

This is a gorgeous park with deep caverns, changing terrain and drop offs at the paths. I will wait to take my grandkids when they’ve grown stable, obedient and careful enough to not worry about a deadly fall. My favorite by far! We have also stayed in the furnished cabins and they are also pretty awesome.

Smaller but Peaceful

We had a wonderful time at site 51. We went in 2017 for Father’s Day and they had family activities for it. They had a scavenger hunt which made us really experience the nature around us, going through the woods off trail, going to the lakeside, walking around looking for different things on a list. It helped there was a prize so it really put competition between us and two other families. Two of us tied so we were lucky enough to get the free boat ride and the other team that was part of the boy scouts got a free one night camping stay. The campground is smaller,peaceful and quite but yet no one got mad if kids played. We were right beside the playground so I was worried about rude and rowdy kids but nope. The kids were good and left the playground at a respectable time. Since we were the only family by the playground my kids quietly played there for a while all by themselves after dark while we were in eyesight relaxing at our camp site. There is also a roadway you can drive by the lake in the campground to fish. My husband and daughter liked it bc they could fish it at night time. You will need bug spray and lanterns bc it is darrrk! The only bad thing is there is no beach so on the hot days the kids get bored although we went to the fishing spot in the campground and let the kids play in the water. When we were there, there were no showers but the toilet was by our site so that was a plus (non flushing). There was also a water spicket close by the playground. So everything was close for us. The kids could play and explore safely within eye sight. We really enjoyed our stay and would go back in the cooler months due to there being no beach but there is plenty of trees for shade.

Smaller but Peaceful

"Secret" Fishing Spot

Between lot I believe 166 & 167 is a trail to go down to a small spot. Probably enough room for 2 small families or 1 large family to fish. It was perfect for my husband and 2 kids between 9pm to 1am to fish because no one else was there. They only caught a fish or two but they liked the experience and time together. It is a little of a trek down a small hill and we were careful but got my mother in law whose 70 to the water as long as we hung onto her arm. It is pitch black so bring headlamps or/and lanterns oh and mosquito spray! We liked it so much that we are going again and getting a site close to the fishing spot so it’s just a short walk to it!

Beautiful huge campsite but no shade

I loved our camp site we had it for one year loved it! Huge lot, private and shade. It was simply the perfect lot because sometimes we had two tents and or like to play corn hole and other games and need space. But we went back in June and July 2018 and we about died! It was so hot and miserable because they cut down two of the trees that gave us shade. Now it the perfect spot with nooo shade. We tried buying the canopies to give us artificial shade but it didn’t help. It was truly awful during the day. The kids went to the beach but my husband, mother in law (70) and I stayed at the site. Although it got so bad we either went to a store or sat in the truck with the A/C. Now when the sun started setting it was again perfect. We had a fire, played outdoor games and it is private enough you don’t have to worry about your neighbor listening to your conversation. The bathroom is right behind the site but far enough that there is no smell or foot traffic from people. We had 2 active dogs and it is perfect for them. Although I will not go back in the dead of the heat again. It would be a perfect spot for cooler months. We stayed in lot 140. Oh btw there is a “secret” fish spot by site 166 with a trail to walk down to the water. It’s about a 8 min walk from our site 140.

Very nice and well kept

Good for the family… If you are into the outdoors this is it!

Peaceful ( Except for the train) and clean. Pretty.

Convenient to many activities and stores yet in the forest and along Alum Creek. Clean, flush toilets , showers heated. Recreation area and nature center on site. Swimming near by ,nature trails.dog park with doggie beach nearby and more.

The dog’s favorite campground!

This was the only park we’ve gone to this uear with both a large dog park AND a fenced in dog beach! Folks were friendly at the dog park with bunches of chairs set around like a conversation pit. Lots of water and dog tennis balls were available.

The dog beach was fenced so your dog can be off leash. There is even a fenced in area out in the water to keep the pooches from swimming across the Lake chasing geese.

The campground itself was quite nice and spacious. Some of the most private camping sites I’ve seen in Ohio. Shower facilities we a bit above average mad seemed to be looked after at least once a day (we were there in the off season).

IMHO, one of the nicest campgrounds in the state.

Great first time KOA experience

We have never stayed at a KOA before and were very happy with this campground. The staff were friendly and professional, the sites were clean, and there were a wide variety of sites to choose from. From primitive tent sites tucked back in the woods to large RV sites with water/sewer/electric/cable hookups. We are first-time owners of a 29 ft Fifth Wheel and got a pull-through site. It offered little in the way of privacy, which was the only negative about the whole experience. Our site included a fire ring and a picnic table, along with all the hook ups. The night we arrived we were too tired to cook so ordered a pizza from the front office and they delivered it to our site. They also deliver wood directly to you. They escort you directly to your site so you don't get lost or go down a one-way road the wrong way. There was a nice little pool, but it wasn't open for the season yet. The shower houses were immaculate. The front office includes a little gift shop, ice cream, and pizza. This campground was also located close (within a few miles) to all the main hiking trails,and about 12 miles from Logan. The little road going up to the campground is VERY bumpy. It's not the campground road, it belongs to the Township, so its completely out of their ability to make improvements. This was only our second time out in our fifth wheel camper so it was a little scary, but we just drove slow and our truck handled it just fine. We will definitely be back to this wonderful campground as we love Hocking Hills.

Small cute campground

October weekends in Ohio State Park campgrounds are super popular so we weren’t able to make a reservation here. They do have a few walk up sites and we got there on a Thursday to make sure we got one. We luckily did and enjoyed our time at this campground. They do have flush toilets now, so that was nice. There is a trail that goes around the lake here that you can walk and there is also a mountain biking trail. We took advantage of both and really enjoyed them! The campground is relatively small, but it was nice! We were there as the leaves were changing and it was great! Our Sprint and Verizon hotspots both got great service here too. We were happy with this campground!

lots of variety in hiking trails

I go to Hocking Hills every year and love it every time. They have a handful of different trails and hiking experiences that takes several days to explore. Can get crowded during busy seasons, but overall is relatively remote and quiet. Definitely love Ash Cave and Old Man’s Cave. Campgrounds are reasonably priced.

Cell service is finicky — definitely wouldn’t rely on your phone GPS once you get into the park.

simple & sweet

This is a sweet campground near Cedarville/Xenia. It’s got quite a bit of space for campgrounds and has a few mild hiking trails and a meadow nearby. It’s a nice place for a last minute get together with friends or large group camp weekends. Fire pits available and near other hiking sites like the Clifton Gorge.

BrandyWine Falls

A beautiful waterfall that drops into a pretty deep collection area. Be careful after rains as this area has some rapid moving water and can overflow. Lovely area for a day camping and relaxing.

Large sites

First Campground site I went to had a large mud puddle full of hornets. I asked to move site and was accommodated. It was right after a heavy rain storm and so maybe it was just a fluke

Lots of hiking and nature to see.

Campground was clean.

Crowded even in October.

The park is beautiful but the sites were small and crammed extremely close together and dirty. It was loud and the bathrooms were not well kept.

Cozy and comfortable

What a nice campground. Pool, cabins, things for the kids, beautiful hiking trails and waterfalls.

Nice place

Hike in camp sites are awesome. You still have access to latrines and each site has a table an fire ring. Fairly succluded but you will see other people. Very close to all the places you would want to hike . The girls in the office are also very nice.

Bring a cart or be prepared to strap all your belongings to your back

Peaceful

This has been our go to spot for 30 years! Never a bad trip

Fantastic

What a great campground. From the activities for the kids to the nice spacious sites. We were there for the Halloween weekend and it was amazing. Can't wait to go back.

Would be 5 star except for this

Alum Creek is just beautiful, nice sites, most of them are at least partially shaded, lots of woods, hiking trails, the lake, it is what I think of when I think of State Park campground camping in Ohio. There are a couple problems. 1. Only ONE little dump station. This is a big campground, so if you're leaving Sunday, you better get up at the crack of dawn to get to the station, otherwise be prepared to wait in a long long line of RV's. We by-passed the long line and stopped at a different State Park campground on the way home and paid 10.00 to use their dump station. 2. They never answer their phone at the campground office. I mean NEVER. If you have a question you will just have to deal with the reserveamerica people who really know nothing other than what they read on the campground website. So basically you know as much as they do. It's maddening. We will go back, but it's a 2 hour drive so it won't be anytime soon.

First Timers at Buckeye Lake

It was a very nice Kampground, however, if you don't follow their rules, you will get admonished for it. We didn't get a car tag when we registered, and we were followed all the way in to our trailer demanding that it be displayed. You can't display something that isn't there.

A couple came up to us as we were setting up at midnight drunker than a skunk, but we entertained them for a little bit and then sent them on their way.

It was quiet and nice all around, except for ranger rick.

Campground with Water Park

I stayed at this campground because they hosted a wedding I attended. I chose to stay in a cabin, which was pretty pricy for what it was. for $175, it was a basic cabin with a queen bed and 2 twin bunk-beds, a very small bathroom with a toilet and shower, and a small kitchenette with a microwave, sink, and mini-fridge. The cabin was somewhat dirty - dust on the floor and spider webs in the corner. It had no bed linens, or towels, and the bathroom didn't even have a mirror.

There is a "lake" (more of a large pond) on the property, with fishing, and large inflatables to play on in the summer. There is also a disc golf course. The nearby town Lithopolis is cute, with some local coffee and dining, as well as antique shops.

Big sites, big field

This campground has decent, wide sites, but there are very few trees or privacy. Sites are side by side, one after the other so you have no privacy and sound carries all the way up the loop. All the sites say "partial shade" on the reservation page, but beware, this shade only happens as the sun is going down.

Bathrooms were fine, relatively clean. There is a little store, but note that the firewood is in huge, unburnable pieces, (as most Ohio state park firewood is), so you'll need tons of kindling and several firestarters, or an ax and some way to hack at the logs.

The lake is huge and very pretty; there is a pioneer village that is interesting to walk around, and 3 or 4 canoe liveries nearby. All in all, it's a decent campground, just not too quiet or isolated if you are trying to get away from people.

Nice quiet place

Large, private sites, good electric service, reasonable distance to Columbus. I was confused about no on-site office, self check in. Lake is beautiful. Bathrooms are decent.

Tents and Trees

The campground I used is right off of the main entrance to the park. It is surrounded by wonderful trees which give a fantastic ambiance in the fall. The ground was well kept and nearby there were ground latrienes. Make sure to watch for walnuts in the late summer to fall however as there are many, many walnut tres nearby and having one under your sleeping bag can ruin a great night.

Very nice campground

If you kayak the Lilly pad are awesome to paddle through.

Palmerosa Horse Camp

I stayed in a cabin and loved this place, the horseback riding is awesome, airplane rock has a view second to none. the box canyon with waterfall is gorgeous (pun intended) but seriously it was fantastic. the cabin was clean and comfortable, and a bargain, no nickle and diming you to death.

On the river AND the freeway

Right on the river, which is interesting, but it's also right alongside State Route 33, so you hear freeway traffic constantly. Trucks and motorcycles woke me up all night, AND there is a train track right across the river (about 200 yards away), so be prepared for trains coming through any time of the night or day.

It has flush toilets, which worked fine Friday and Saturday, but all of the women's toilets were clogged by Sunday morning, and the shower house needs to be hosed down- covered in dead bugs. Showers have this weird slimy grate on the floor- bring flip flops. The shower house is up on top of this steep hill, so you'll need a flashlight to get there in the dark.

The sites are very close together- one family moved in late at night practically on top of me- their tent was literally 4 feet from my picnic table. I could hear every word they said (or yelled) all night long. I moved down one site for a little peace and quiet, but be prepared- when crowded, you will be right on top of groups less than 12 feet to the right and left of you.

It's nice that the sites are right on the Hocking river, and there is constant traffic of canoes and kayaks going past. I thought this was fun. There is no way to put your own boat in here, though. The campground is on a very steep, muddy embankment and even putting in a lightweight kayak is very difficult (I tried and succeeded, but hurt my knee and fell into the water because of the mud- I wouldn't try this again).

All in all, I had a decent weekend, but I wouldn't stay here again because of the freeway noise and the way the sites are so close together.

Large secluded sites!

Beautiful park. There is a camper’s beach and a dog park