The best TENT SITES camping near
North Wilkesboro , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent North Wilkesboro Camping Reviews
Best family campground

We had the best weekend at Steele Creek! We went the 3rd weekend in October and the fall leaf color was gorgeous! The close proximity to Linville Falls, Blowing Rock and the Blue Ridge Parkway was perfect. We will definitely be back to explore the area more. It was cool outside but we saw several kids playing in the creek and it looked fun. We will have to come back in the summer to enjoy the water.

Great Family tent camping

Took a last minute trip with the family and we were not disappointed. I grew up camping but my wife has never been. I knew I would have to pick a spot that would change her opinion about camping. On our way home she was already looking for camping arrangements for next season.

We stayed at Camp 5 which was gravel and came in handy when it rained, no muddy mess packing up. I believe all the tent grounds had gravel. The fire pit had a great grate for cooking in our cast iron pans and the picnic table was a huge plus. Bathrooms were clean and the Host were extremely friendly and can answer all of your questions from the campground to local things to do.

Things I wish I had- more twine/rope to hang rain fly (trees are far apart). Bring firewood from the local grocery store, Food City, in Chilhowie. An axe to cut some of that wood into smaller pieces. I had it but remember to bring cash to pay for your stay. I’m not sure if they take cards, we arrived at 9pm and had to fill out an envelope and place in a drop box. Also, at the time of this review, the gates absolutely close at 10pm to 7am. Make sure you are in/out of the gates in time.

Great campground for seasoned campers and even better for beginners.

Nice experience

Took the dw and kids for first trip here. Everything cleane and staff helpful.

Great Place

Needed a campsite quick and Utt's really helped us out. We tent camped but this also looks like a great place for RV's. Friendly people and pretty property.

Great Place

Beautiful area

Semi private sites for tents. Some RV sites are on the edge of the road. Clean restrooms and showers. Great hiking trails nearby beginning in the campground. Dog friendly. If you have a National park pass you get a discount.

Wagoneer site 50 in late Oct

This campground was really well maintained and clean. They had all the COVID protection in place for everyones safety. The camp host was friendly and very helpful. We were on site 50 which is closest to parking. No water view but more secluded then most sites. This site does get great sun in the afternoon. Sites 46, 45 and 41 where my favorites with water views (46 coming in 1st). The bathrooms and showers were well kept and clean. The hikes around the campgrounds were great.
They do have wagons/Wheel barrels to help haul your supplies to your tent.
We definitely want to come back for longer and canoe in and out of sites.

Great getaway

We loved our time here. It was fun hiking to the vineyard and to Carter Falls. Very clean and nice place to stay

Perfect and peaceful

This is a great place for fall great away. New River VA state trail is great biking. Convenient to BRP AND Mt. Airy visit is also a fun day. Location is central to all. Also great to set bank with a good book and favorite beverage.

Non existent

I lived under mellow mushroom and know for a fact that there is no tent camping here. There are paid parking lots on king and queen street, and have seen campers be able to stay there. But NO tent camping here in downtown Boone. Be better off trying to camp at local park or greenway I think, but there’s so much to offer around, find a nice tucked away spot like trash can falls less than 15 away from there.