The best TENT SITES camping near
Ashley Heights , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Ashley Heights Camping Reviews
Remote Grandure

I loved the place. Really remote and FREE. Lots of spots on Botha sides of the road. Not for bigger rigs. I’ve got a 13 foot pull behind. Backed in mostly but a few could be pulled in an out. Road posted 25 mph but recommend 10 mph. Was also narrow in spots. Very bumpy. Last 1/2 mile don’t go. Steep rocky Muddy. Photos show. Fire rings were rocks. No water all primitive. Will go back when warmer. Lots of trails and wildlife. Stayed in 2 different spots.

Remote at its best

Stayed one night. 10 with America Beautiful pass, 20 without. Great area with 22 parking areas. Right on the lake. Water, toilets and shower ( water off probably too cold). Great views with peace and quiet. 3 day pay for drive ins, reservations take precedence but if open can stay longer. Really liked it, will make reservations for warmer weather though

Family Friendly

I absolutly love this campground. Everyone that works here has always been super helpful and friendly. My kids love the swimming areas and playgrounds too.

Good for Daily

Came here because I couldn’t get to my original spot before dark. Good views and lake area. Has beach for swimming and fishing too. Didn’t see any toilets. Had pick nick tables and trash cans. Lots of parking, gate closes at sunset or 830 pm. Ever which comes first with no camping signs. Spent the night in boat ramp lot. Safety ? Had a high speed police chase at about 1pm on road beside it.

Rustic farm campground

The owners of the property, Lisa and Brian, were helpful and accommodating! It rained most of that week, and during the day I was there. They offered alternative sites for my tent, one of which had a protective overhang. I would have stayed in the back near the treeline, but because of all the rain I ended up staying at the front of the property (near the rv area which had higher ground).

The campground restroom was really nice, has air conditioning, heating, and a clean private shower. There is also a washer, a microwave and even wifi in there.

If you have a family with small children, they will love the horses, chickens, guinea hens, and the couple of friendly cats and dogs that they own.

These folks are awesome people and I will definitely camp there in the spring.

Good Park, Large Sites

We enjoyed our mid-July trip here. There are so many loops and roads within this park, we had a blast on our bikes. We were in site G41 and loved the private feel of the site. We had trees and shrubs on 3 sides. This is a huge campground. The only downside is that they literally lock you in at night. You cannot attend an event or concert that runs late….because YOU WILL BE LOCKED OUT….LOL.

I guess I didn’t take any photos of this trip…not sure why.

Off season gem!

Didn’t have any expectations of this place since it’s in the middle of nowhere and not many photos. We loved it here. We were lucky enough to catch a great view of Jupiter merging with Saturn last night. Super cheap. We stayed four nights for under $100. 30/50 hookups and water. No sewer but very close dump station in campground. Primitive camping area for tents too. Pull through sites and back in. Spacious sites that feel nicely private surrounded by evergreens which is a nice relief in winter to see trees with leaves. The lake is beautiful. Awesome walking trail that takes you to the other side of the lake where there is a playground. Lots of swings and benches and picnic tables around. Barely anyone here in December, so it feels so nice to be out of our house but not needing masks constantly. When it isn’t off season they have cheap boat rentals. Firewood is $6.50 per bundle.

Beautiful, accommodating farm. Perfect place.

This was our very first night in our RV and Brian and Lisa could not have been more hospitable and kind. We were two hours later than expected and they waited up for us late into the night to show us the ropes. In the morning Brian took our two year old on a tour of their amazing farm — horses, cows, ducks, chickens, and all the tractors of our toddlers’ dreams … we felt like houseguests of old friends. The long term residents, many of whom are seasonal workers, were also so friendly. We were just there for one night but it felt like a real community in a beautiful part of the world and not too far from the highway. Highly recommend!!

Dispersed camping

This is a great area for dispersed campers with 4WD or AWD. It's pretty popular so head out early to secure your spot. Some of the sites may have a little trash left from the last user, so please try to leave it cleaner than you came to. No toilets for disperesed areas. Most sites have rock fire pits and room to set up. Love it here. Plenty of OHV trails as well.

If you need a free place to park and camp

It is free camping in this area on the weekend these horse clubs will come in with your trailers in horse they're not very friendly they're nosy and they do not like Outsiders but this is a national park to it is open to you to hear up to 14 days the town of Troy is not very friendly they want your money but they don't want you this is our second time here and it both times has been very unpleasant the trails are nice to walk the lake is beautiful as long as you keep to yourself and you should have no problem but these horse people got to be printed they're not your friends as soon as they turn your back they're calling the Ranger and trying to get you throw it out good luck with it I hope you have a better trip than we did